Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
the only way Calgary, Anaheim, or Toronto win in any of these trades is IF the players they acquired perform better with their new teams than they did with their old teams. i dont see how going to Toronto will make Phaneuf or Giguerre better. But i do think that White, Hagman, and Stajan will play better in Calgary than they did in Toronto. Calgary has a solid goalie, good leadership, and a solid defense. Now they added some scoring; soo for now, I think Calgary won the trade. Anaheim didnt get any better with their trade. Toronto has the possibility of being better through these trades, or they can get worse due to trading away 3 of their top 5 scorers.
Here's the thing I like for Calgary - even if Stajan (41 points), Hagman (20 goals) and White perform THE SAME for the Flames as they did for the Leafs, Calgary wins short term (and I believe that's all they're trying to do, win in the short term, then go out in the offseason and make a big FA splash). They've added some quality scoring depth to a team that needed EXACTLY that.