CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Phaneuf to Leafs...

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    What???
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Bad move by Calgary. Just because you're in a slump you don't trade away a franchise defenceman and a young start like Phanuef.

Gap Wedge Chucker is on a distinguished road
    Great trade for the Leafs - with more to come?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Does Brian Burke not WANT to score? I suppose it's never a bad move when you can pick up a D-man like Phaneuf, but they already have a pile of D-men, and have picked up NO offense to speak of.

Hate to see the flames get rid of Phaneuf and not get a bona fide player in return. I knew he was on the trading block, but to pick up Matt Stajan in return is just not good enough. For a proven d-man you need to be getting a proven scorer.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Bad move by Calgary. Just because you're in a slump you don't trade away a franchise defenceman and a young start like Phanuef.
    was alot said about Phanuef having problems in Calgary. Not suprised to see him go, but IMO Toronto just got alot worse. there goes any offense they had. White was the only player the leafs had that I didnt mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucker View Post
    Great trade for the Leafs - with more to come?

not really sure what more they can do!? Ponikarovski or Kaberle is all they have left, not going to get much back. Maybe a little more for Kaberle but there goes all the offense TO has if he gets traded. Would not surprse me to see Burke go after Kovalchuk and give up any young talent they have left to get him.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    rumour has it Toskola for JS Giguere.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Does Brian Burke not WANT to score? I suppose it's never a bad move when you can pick up a D-man like Phaneuf, but they already have a pile of D-men, and have picked up NO offense to speak of.

Hate to see the flames get rid of Phaneuf and not get a bona fide player in return. I knew he was on the trading block, but to pick up Matt Stajan in return is just not good enough. For a proven d-man you need to be getting a proven scorer.
    Stajan, White, and Hagman. Hagman has 20 goals this year, he's quite a serviceable player, especially for a team that can't score.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Burke must not be done giving away all those goals and getting nothing in return. Must be more to come.

Baxter
    That was a Great Trade for the Leafs...and it sucks for me...I love Dion Phaneuf and hate the Leafs...Had a great night out with Dion in Toronto few years ago....Taught that young fellow all about redbull and vodka that night...he showed me what it was like to be a young stud in the NHL that night...You would not believe the "Ladies" after him that night..heck I was there and still have a hard time with it....Let's just say the talent level was of the Gold Medal type..What a night....

What a trade for the leafs...I guess that flames needed cap space as they will need more help and had no room left to do it..They will make another move or two...

Cheers,

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    not really sure what more they can do!? Ponikarovski or Kaberle is all they have left, not going to get much back. Maybe a little more for Kaberle but there goes all the offense TO has if he gets traded. Would not surprse me to see Burke go after Kovalchuk and give up any young talent they have left to get him.
    I would doubt that he goes after Kovalchuk..Just looking at how he has gone about building in the past...He will be looking for a Power Forward to play with Kessel....
    What about Blake? I'm sure he would be more than happy to try and move that guy as well. Not sure what would come back. I was surprised he was not in the Phanuef trade when I went to read about it..

Another rumor : Is Campbell of Chicago going to Montreal for one of the two young goalies..They will not win with Huet and believe either one of those two goalies playing with the Chicago Team in front of them will be a up grade..Plus they need cap space...I think this would be a Great trade for both teams...Chicago was caught by how good Kieth and Seebrooke are and feel Campbell can be moved at this time...Montreal will stop the BS that floating around by moving either goalie...I think they should keep Price...but either might be good for them..

Cheers,

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    rumour has it Toskola for JS Giguere.
    Confirmed. Toskala and Blake for Giguerre.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I'll give Burke credit at least he is making moves and not just sitting by watching the ship sink. Not sure how much Giguerre has left in him but at least they didn't give up much.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Confirmed. Toskala and Blake for Giguerre.

what are your thoughts about all this Rich? Happy?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    what are your thoughts about all this Rich? Happy?
    Definitely. Toskala and Blake have been major disappointments for the Leafs. Giguerre is older, but he's still a great goalie. Gustavsson will learn a lot from him.

As far as Phaneuf goes, I like this deal too. He's young and gives them elements of Komisarek, Beauchemin, and White all in one player. Not surprised to see White go the other way because they already have a puck-mover in Kaberle. Stajan's days were numbered in Toronto regardless of how well he was playing this year. He'll be no higher than a 3rd liner in Calgary, which is where he should have been in Toronto, IMO.

People are saying that they've created holes up front by losing Blake and Hagman, but I see this as an opportunity for kids like Stalberg, Bozak, and Hanson to get more minutes with the big club.

I'm a patient man. I know it's rebuilding mode, but Burke has made better deals in one year than the organization has in the last 15.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Definitely. Toskala and Blake have been major disappointments for the Leafs. Giguerre is older, but he's still a great goalie. Gustavsson will learn a lot from him.

As far as Phaneuf goes, I like this deal too. He's young and gives them elements of Komisarek, Beauchemin, and White all in one player. Not surprised to see White go the other way because they already have a puck-mover in Kaberle. Stajan's days were numbered in Toronto regardless of how well he was playing this year. He'll be no higher than a 3rd liner in Calgary, which is where he should have been in Toronto, IMO.

People are saying that they've created holes up front by losing Blake and Hagman, but I see this as an opportunity for kids like Stalberg, Bozak, and Hanson to get more minutes with the big club.

I'm a patient man. I know it's rebuilding mode, but Burke has made better deals in one year than the organization has in the last 15.
    Well, I'm definitely impressed by your optimism. And, you're right...it's not like the loss of Stajan & co. means you're losing a massive scoring punch. But, they've trade 45 goals for 12, and have no real assets with which to improve up front. I know Burke loves his teams big and bruising, but he seems to have forgotten completely about the front half. I don't actually know how the Leafs would go about adding scoring up front. They have no picks to speak of, and their defensive 'assets' have all been devalued by a year playing for a terrible defensive team. Burke must have some kind of vision for the future, but I really can't see it being anything more than 21 defenceman and Phil Kessel.

Well, I'm definitely impressed by your optimism. And, you're right...it's not like the loss of Stajan & co. means you're losing a massive scoring punch. But, they've trade 45 goals for 12, and have no real assets with which to improve up front. I know Burke loves his teams big and bruising, but he seems to have forgotten completely about the front half. I don't actually know how the Leafs would go about adding scoring up front. They have no picks to speak of, and their defensive 'assets' have all been devalued by a year playing for a terrible defensive team. Burke must have some kind of vision for the future, but I really can't see it being anything more than 21 defenceman and Phil Kessel.
    Work in progress Jon. I'm by no means "planning the parade route", as so many are quick to pipe in whenever the Leafs make any kind of move. Brian Burke has been the only guy in the last 15-20 years that's had the balls to call out the team on a regular basis and say they suck. If he can get defensive players and goalies, I'm certain he can get guys up front as well. As he said earlier today, he's not done yet, and they're still open for business. I'm fine with that.

p.s. Now I'm even more excited that I got tickets for March 6th.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    he could have traded stajan for ilya kovulchuck and you would have found something wrong with the trade. i don't think I've ever hear you happy with a trade ever lol

willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    he could have traded stajan for ilya kovulchuck and you would have found something wrong with the trade. i don't think I've ever hear you happy with a trade ever lol
    I'm ecstatic with this trade! Its going to keep the leafs in the basement even longer.

I'm ecstatic with this trade! Its going to keep the leafs in the basement even longer.
    perhaps, but once they get out they will climb fast
    willy

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Well, I'm definitely impressed by your optimism.
    If you're a Leafs fan, optimism is your only option.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    perhaps, but once they get out they will climb fast
    Wow...so you're one of those guys who can see things 20 years before they happen?

i'm a sens fan, I hate the leafs. But I also know the value of a 24yr old D-man. They got him for nothing. they gave away a bag of pucks for him. he is a tremendous talent. i kinda wish the sens had gotten him.
    willy

Like I said, adding a guy like Phaneuf is a good thing, but you have to look at the specific needs of your team. The last thing the Leafs need right now is another D-man with an inflated salary, especially when they have great difficulty scoring, AND lost 80 points off their roster to pick him up. They have no cap room, no picks, few tradeable assets, and a LOT of changes needed.

If I had to summarize this trade...it's a lose-lose situation. Calgary has shipped away a good defensemen, and failed to get the legitimate top 6 forward that they need. Toronto got a defenceman they didn't need, and lost a third of their scoring.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    After Burke's 2nd trade the only points his team will get are from his D, they can't win without someone to score the puck what was he thinking???

Burke is an over-rated idiot IMO.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Like I said, adding a guy like Phaneuf is a good thing, but you have to look at the specific needs of your team. The last thing the Leafs need right now is another D-man with an inflated salary, especially when they have great difficulty scoring, AND lost 80 points off their roster to pick him up. They have no cap room, no picks, few tradeable assets, and a LOT of changes needed.

If I had to summarize this trade...it's a lose-lose situation. Calgary has shipped away a good defensemen, and failed to get the legitimate top 6 forward that they need. Toronto got a defenceman they didn't need, and lost a third of their scoring.
    I'm not sure about Calgary losing in this situation. They still have a pretty solid defense core with Bouwmeester and Regehr. And Giordano has stepped it up this year and has really improved. Phaneuf's attitude since he was left off of the Canadian Olympic Roster has been really poor, and he really hasn't played up to his normal standards. Also having Kiprusoff in nets also helps...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    The building of team goon continues.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    rearranging the deck on the titanic, for all 3 teams.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    the only way Calgary, Anaheim, or Toronto win in any of these trades is IF the players they acquired perform better with their new teams than they did with their old teams. i dont see how going to Toronto will make Phaneuf or Giguerre better. But i do think that White, Hagman, and Stajan will play better in Calgary than they did in Toronto. Calgary has a solid goalie, good leadership, and a solid defense. Now they added some scoring; soo for now, I think Calgary won the trade. Anaheim didnt get any better with their trade. Toronto has the possibility of being better through these trades, or they can get worse due to trading away 3 of their top 5 scorers.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information