CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Which GPS device to get.

I am torn between getting a golf specific GPS (Calleyway, Garmin, etc) or a smart-phone GPS app.

I am at the end of a Bell contract and will be negotiating with Rogers/Bell/Telus/etc for a new phone/service contract.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    Well,

I wouldn't get a smart phone for the purpose of the golf applications and GPS.
    You might be disappointed and then paying for it the next 3 years.

If you are planning to get a smart phone either way then hold off on buying a seperate GPS unit.
    I have tried the Golflogix, GolfShot, and Golfcard applications on the iphone.
    They are very decent and do a pretty good job. At around $8-$30 each, try them out and in the spring if they don't meet your needs, take a look at a true GPS.

I have used the Garmin Golflogix GPS unit last year (sold and now just using iphone) and it was really good. I liked it and would recommend it.
    Only reason I sold it was that I decided the iphone meets the needs of my golf game at this time.

8 Iron jlr_1304 is on a distinguished road
    We made some testing at our CC and the cheap units and/or applications on smartphone where way off in precision yardage.

Best one was Skycaddie SG5. The SG2/SG3 where slower.

Quote Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
    We made some testing at our CC and the cheap units and/or applications on smartphone where way off in precision yardage.

Best one was Skycaddie SG5. The SG2/SG3 where slower.
    How much is 'way off' and which other brands did you test?

BTW, which course did you test it on?

We tested side by side in an eletric cart:
    2 Skycaddie SG5 (both were accurate to a yards, or equal, in real time, to the 150yd/100yards markers)

1 Skycaddie sg3 (or sg3) . Was much slower than the SG5 in real time, but got the same yardage

1 Callaway uPro. Was off by 6-7 yards on some holes, especially on par 3.
    1 blackberry xxx with an add on software : was off by 6-7 yards on some holes.

Course : Vallée des forts in st-jean-sur-richelieu,qc.

Quote Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
    We tested side by side in an eletric cart:
    2 Skycaddie SG5 (both were accurate to a yards, or equal, in real time, to the 150yd/100yards markers)

1 Skycaddie sg3 (or sg3) . Was much slower than the SG5 in real time, but got the same yardage

1 Callaway uPro. Was off by 6-7 yards on some holes, especially on par 3.
    1 blackberry xxx with an add on software : was off by 6-7 yards on some holes.

Course : Vallée des forts in st-jean-sur-richelieu,qc.
    Begs the question... How do you know that the Skycaddie's were right and not the Calleyway/Blackberry. I have found that the markers put out by the courses sometimes don't match the GPS that the course also supplies. (I was in Houston last fall and parking the cart over the 150 markers hardly ever showed 150. It was +/- 5 yrds on average)

This also begs the question on whether GPS or range finders are the way to go.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Begs the question... How do you know that the Skycaddie's were right and not the Calleyway/Blackberry. I have found that the markers put out by the courses sometimes don't match the GPS that the course also supplies. (I was in Houston last fall and parking the cart over the 150 markers hardly ever showed 150. It was +/- 5 yrds on average)

This also begs the question on whether GPS or range finders are the way to go.
    The likelihood is that the skycaddie is correct as they walk the courses to physically map them, as opposed to using satellite pictures which uPro/Callaway does.

GPS vs range finder is more a convenience question I think. If you don't mind pulling it out every shot, the range finder gives you more info (including precise pin yardage), but the GPS has its more limited info available just by looking at it. GPS has the advantage for blind shots where there is no sight line available. Really comes down to personal choice.

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    that's the problem with testing.
    It's hard to say if the issue is the unit or the mapping.
    It's impossible to compare a Skycaddie and a Garmin since really you are comparing the GPS Unit and the mapping at the same time.

When I tested it was...
    a) Garmin Golflogix unit
    b) iPhone with GolfLogix application.

Both use the same maps from the same company so really I was testing GPS accuracy between the two devices.

I found them to be within 2-3 yards of each other most of the time.
    But for that to happen the iphone app had to be running for about 30-45 seconds to be that accurate. If you turn it off, it takes a bit of time to "wake up".

I would trust the Garmin Golflogix unit to be very accurate (as a GPS tool).
    So from that I would assume the iphone was reasonable since it was off by 2-3 yards at the most.

Now how good the mapping by Garmin is.... that's a different issue.
    It seemed good to me but I only tested on Stonebridge, Canadian and Cedarhill.
    (and for Cedarhill they had some holes mixed up (where about 3-4 holes collide near the hotdog stand) but updated quickly once I emailed them).

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Most of the GPS units in the carts will give the yardage to the flag as I think they have sensors in the flagsticks to pinpoint it whereas the 150 yd markers are normally to the center of the green. I have checked the yardages at our course with a number of rangefinders, skycaddie and golflogix and found the SG and rangefinders within a yd or two but the golflogix out up to 10 yds on a 150 shot.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Most of the GPS units in the carts will give the yardage to the flag as I think they have sensors in the flagsticks to pinpoint it whereas the 150 yd markers are normally to the center of the green. I have checked the yardages at our course with a number of rangefinders, skycaddie and golflogix and found the SG and rangefinders within a yd or two but the golflogix out up to 10 yds on a 150 shot.
    Thanks Gerry;

Think I'll go to Ebay tonight to star looking.

Thanks Gerry;

Think I'll go to Ebay tonight to start looking.
    I won a Friday night auction on Ebay for a SG5 with $100 Gift Bundle (Case Charger, Extra Battery, etc) for $US 295 + $45 shipping.

Can't wait for the new season!!

I won a Friday night auction on Ebay for a SG5 with $100 Gift Bundle (Case Charger, Extra Battery, etc) for $US 295 + $45 shipping.

Congrats !

I think you've made a good choice. Enjoy.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar

Good choice. I really like my SG5...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

As my hotmail informed me that my new purchase had just left San Francisco, I noted my desk calender; Bill Kroen's GOLF tip of the day (tm) for today ;

Go High Tech - Most local rules now allow for the use of distance measuring devices. Laser rangefinders and GPS systems will give you exact distance to the pin or to trouble spots such as bunkers or water. If your course allows them for tounaments, then by all means use one, as it is like having an expert caddie with you. This will also speed up play, as you do not have to search for sprinkler heads with yardages that are often inaccurate. Go high-tech and take advantage of this rule change

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I'm debating on whether I should upgrade my current membership package on my sg 2.5 just so I will have the courses I will be playing in Phoenix next month. Everyone I play with there already has one, and often the carts are equipped also. I think I'll skip it, but it will be strange playing without my skycaddie for the 1st time in a year.
    Andrew

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I just used my SG5 on a new course for the first time and the feature I think I liked the best was the distance to the front of the green as I was able to take enough club to get me that distance and did put an number of shots pin high. I also have a pinseeker 1500 and never pulled it out of the bag once. I think I am really going to love using the Skycaddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    I'm debating on whether I should upgrade my current membership package on my sg 2.5 just so I will have the courses I will be playing in Phoenix next month. Everyone I play with there already has one, and often the carts are equipped also. I think I'll skip it, but it will be strange playing without my skycaddie for the 1st time in a year.
    I played 5 courses across Arizona a few years back and every one but one had a GPS in the cart. The one was in Benson on a day trip to Tombstone - which is a fun tourist must if you are close.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I just used my SG5 on a new course for the first time and the feature I think I liked the best was the distance to the front of the green as I was able to take enough club to get me that distance and did put an number of shots pin high. I also have a pinseeker 1500 and never pulled it out of the bag once. I think I am really going to love using the Skycaddie.
    Sounds like your winter is going well...
    The Varadero course in Cuba that I will be playing in two and a half weeks is not mapped, for obvious reasons, but I'm still looking forward to using my SG5 when I get back. Going skiing/golfing in Salt Late in late March and I'm sure these courses will be mapped.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Steve, if you are going to play the Varadero course 3 or 4 times you could map it yourself the first time and then use your SkyCaddie for the other 3 rounds...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Steve, if you are going to play the Varadero course 3 or 4 times you could map it yourself the first time and then use your SkyCaddie for the other 3 rounds...
    It would probably be confiscated at the border. Won't risk it.

Just came in yesterday! Can't wait for the new season!!

Thread Information