CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

The Gulf Shores, Alabama

My home course for the next two months will be an Arnold Palmer 36 hole complex in the Gulf Shores. I should be teeing off early January 1st. I'll be thinking of all of you as I ring in the new year. I'll take a few pictures and post them here. In the meantime, here's a link to the course: http://www.craftfarms.com/layout9.asp?id=32&page=2518 which is only 12 minutes or so from our leased condo on the beach. Ah, life is good.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Hopefully your Gulf Coast stay isn't as rain soaked as a week I spent there last fall. I've never been through 6 inches of rain before a trip to Houston last November.

Have a great trip!

This month they've had more than 8 inches (yes, inches) of rain. However, the long range forecast is good. We should be basking in sunshine by Friday morning. Whether it rains or not, though, won't discourage me since it will be a lot warmer than Newmarket.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Hopefully your Gulf Coast stay isn't as rain soaked as a week I spent there last fall. I've never been through 6 inches of rain before a trip to Houston last November.

Have a great trip!
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I am jealous Michael...enjoy the sunshine and the golf course. Course looks very nice and challenging with all the water traps..lol

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    This month they've had more than 8 inches (yes, inches) of rain. However, the long range forecast is good. We should be basking in sunshine by Friday morning. Whether it rains or not, though, won't discourage me since it will be a lot warmer than Newmarket.
    The 6 inches in Houston was on the last night I was there, along with Tornadoes and hail it made for an interesting drive (Downed trees, power lines et all) to the airport the next morning. It rained a total 10 inches during the week - in the area.

I still managed to drop by a Golfsmith on the way to pick some goodies, though.

Given the cold front that has Canada and most of the US in its grip, the weather here has been great. By 10 it's been in the 50s and sunny. I began the New Year off right by playing 18 holes at Cotton Creek. Yesterday I played at another course to which I have unlimited access as well (more about that in a second), Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club. That course is in spectacular shape. The fairways were perfect and the greens were scary fast. The course is excellent. It's not without good reason that Golf Digest rates it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

The Honours pass that I purchased permits me to play unlimited golf at 4 courses in the area: Cotton Creek; Cyprus Bend, which are part of Craft Farms ( http://www.craftfarms.com/layout9.asp?id=32&page=2492 ), Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club, which has 27 holes ( http://www.peninsulagolfclub.com/lay...id=14&page=369 ) and Rock Creek ( http://www.rockcreekgolf.com/layout9.asp?id=12&page=324 ) . I may only play Rock Creek once or twice as it's about an hour away. However, I expect to play the other three on a daily basis. My guess is that between January 1 and the end of February, I'll get in at least 50 rounds. I'll think of you as I have to deal with Bermuda grass, white sand, and inexpensive California wines.

Gotta go. I have a tee time at 9.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You suck.

Have fun!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I do and I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    You suck.

Have fun!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I'm glad you're enjoying it down there Mike.

What has surprised me most, Gerry, is the quality of the course given the time of year. The greens are especially fantastic. You can't buy carpeting that would roll that smoothly. That said, I am having a heck of a time finding the line.

I'm really glad to be here. Would that it were warmer, but most of the USA is suffering under this big chill. For the price, one cannot go wrong. Quite apart from the excellent golf courses, the beaches are phenomenal. Have a look at the attached pictures that I took on New Year's Eve. Notwithstanding the fact that I have had to reduce them in order to upload them, you will get a sense of what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I'm glad you're enjoying it down there Mike.

For those who may have an interest in such things, I can tell you that it has been sunny most of the time while we've been here. The only rain (and it was minimal) that fell was one evening. I have played golf every day that I have been here save one - after all, a man has to rest occasionally. Best of all, we will see a warming trend develop beginning tomorrow. My opinion has not changed. I love playing golf here.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey Mike---that's great news. Just started to pack---leaving in a few days. Wifey was getting a little worried. We are starting from Brownsville and work our way east---should get a few games in before we settle in Panama City
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

No rain during the day since we've been here. It only gets better.

Forecast for Gulf Shores, AL

10-Day Forecast NEW: Larger Radar Maps & No Ads

High /
    Low (°F) Precip. %
    Today
    Jan 13 Mostly Sunny 55°/35° 0 %
    Thu
    Jan 14 Partly Cloudy 63°/45° 10 %
    Fri
    Jan 15 Cloudy 65°/53° 10 %
    Sat
    Jan 16 T-Storms 64°/50° 70 %
    Sun
    Jan 17 AM Clouds / PM Sun 62°/45° 10 %
    Mon
    Jan 18 Mostly Sunny 63°/48° 10 %
    Tue
    Jan 19 Sunny 65°/48° 0 %
    Wed
    Jan 20 Mostly Cloudy 64°/52° 20 %
    Thu
    Jan 21 Showers 64°/54° 60 %
    Fri
    Jan 22 AM Clouds / PM Sun 65°/54° 20 %
    Last Updated Jan 13 02:22 a.m. CT

Yahoo !

I had the shorts on yesterday. We've broken through the cold spell. You should have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Yahoo !

3 Wood eyeping is on a distinguished road eyeping's Avatar
    Golf in Panama City Beach in shorts is also here, played yesterday in short sleves & shorts after the 2 week record cold snap. lets hope it stays for 3 months now.

Have a good one

We are almost packed--few odds and ends to do and we are on our way !!!!!

Thread Information