+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    The first three American goals were direct results of Brodeur misplaying the puck. He should have been pulled last night. Babcock should start Luongo with Fleury as the back up for the next game. Maybe that will send Marty a wake-up call.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i'm still waiting for "the next one" to dominate on the big stage. the last two stanley cup finals vs Detroit he was invisible. although he's got some points in this tournament, he's a team worst -1 (plus/minus).

he's 22 years old, so he has 13 more years to impress me.
    I agree, he is not the great one. But he did play good yesterday. He has a lot of ice time and that says a lot about his talent and determination. But his face-off % was brutal.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I agree, he is not the great one. But he did play good yesterday. He has a lot of ice time and that says a lot about his talent and determination. But his face-off % was brutal.
    Were we watching the same game? Crosby played terrible yesterday. The game is played at both ends, and his line got exposed in the defensive on multiple occasions.

That has been the biggest problem thus far with this team. While they dominate the shot total, when the puck is in their defensive in, they are playing lazy. They're not moving their feet well, they're chasing the puck, and they're more concerned about the counter attack than actually getting the puck safely out of the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Were we watching the same game? Crosby played terrible yesterday. The game is played at both ends, and his line got exposed in the defensive on multiple occasions.

That has been the biggest problem thus far with this team. While they dominate the shot total, when the puck is in their defensive in, they are playing lazy. They're not moving their feet well, they're chasing the puck, and they're more concerned about the counter attack than actually getting the puck safely out of the zone.
    Yes I was watching the same game and no he was not that bad. Most turnovers were caused by the D and Brodeur who looked like a kid in need of Ritalin. If he played that bad why was he on the ice every two or three shifts? He probably had the top three most ice time for the forwards.

Actually he was in #1 ice time with 17:23 minutes. If I had a player playing the way you described him he would not be leading the team with 17 minutes.

he was a -3 after the third US goal. Not a good showing. He got ice time because they need him to be successful if they are going to win, so they need to play him and give him a chance to get going.

he was a -3 after the third US goal. Not a good showing. He got ice time because they need him to be successful if they are going to win, so they need to play him and give him a chance to get going.
    +/- is the most overrated stats in hockey and it should not exist. You step on the ice while the other team scores, your -1. You’re on the penalty kill unit and your team gets scored on a few time because of a tip in, your –X.

Funny cuz earlier you were defending Brodeur on brilliantly tipped goals and pointing out it was not his fault and now you are blaming Crosby on his -3 for the night. If it wasn’t for the kid, the comeback at the end would not have been possible.

Any who, this was the game they needed to lose if they had to lose one. Lets see what they are made of.

I'm not blaming Crosby. There were lots of people who needed to be better in the defensive zone. He was one of them. I was taking issue with your claim that he played a great game. He didn't. He needs to do more for the team to be successful, and looked out of place defensively.

Well, well, well, Luongo will replace Brodeur tomorrow night. I guess Badcock thought Brodeur was not up to par.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    while i agree with this, it could also be that other countries have simplified their game plans to let Canada bring it to them. everyone who plays canada knows they wont win trading scoring chances with canada. so they bunker down, play defense and look for a chance to break out. canada on the other hand has the task of carrying the play, trying to break the trap, and find creative ways to score.

maybe canada needs to play possum. let their opponents establish control of the puck in the offensive zone, and then BLAM! counterattack on them.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

I'm not blaming Crosby. There were lots of people who needed to be better in the defensive zone. He was one of them. I was taking issue with your claim that he played a great game. He didn't. He needs to do more for the team to be successful, and looked out of place defensively.
    Never said he played a great game. I said he played good. There is a BIG difference between great and good.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Babcock was also less than stellar. After the Crosby line (with Nash and Iginla) peppered Miller for about 55 seconds at the end of the third period he then has Perry on the ice... let me see Heatley, Marleau, Thornton line with Getzlaf or Stall or.... Perry, are you kidding me.

That minute from 18:00 to 19:00 of the third period was amazing... they must have shot 10 times toward Miller... I think the guy counting the shot on net was getting tired...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

I totally agree. The SJ line would have been my choice. And he should have called a time out. The Crosby, Iginla ,Nash line were amazing on that sift. Let them get their wind back and keep them on the ice.

brodeur is out. luongo starts vs Germany.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I agree with you fully. On that score do you agree with Don Cherry's view that Canada should be going with three lines, not four? I do. It seems to me that in this way, the players would really get into the game. Besides, if anyone one of them got tired (which they shouldn't), then there would be plenty of fresh legs to replace them.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Mike... I don't usually agree with Don Cherry... but I would also go with 3 lines... with spot presence with the other guys. All of these guys are use to 18 to 22 minutes per game. Now they are playing 13 to 16 minutes... no enough I think.

I know you played teams sports before and you surely remember how hard it is to get into a game with limited time on the field ... let the big guns play.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Mike... I don't usually agree with Don Cherry... but I would also go with 3 lines... with spot presence with the other guys. All of these guys are use to 18 to 22 minutes per game. Now they are playing 13 to 16 minutes... no enough I think.

I know you played teams sports before and you surely remember how hard it is to get into a game with limited time on the field ... let the big guns play.
    Totally agree.

Three lines might work, but who do you sit? None of the lines have distinguished themselves as being truly deserving of #1 time.

I keep wondering how a team would do in this tournament that was built more like an NHL team. By that I mean, have 2 scoring lines, a checking line, and a fourth line. Stagger your talent, put third liners on your third line, 4th liners on your 4th line. I'd be really curious to see how it works in a tournament like this. I mean, you could never get away with leaving the talent at home, like Canada would have to do, but I'd be curious to see how they compete. It seems to be the approach of many of the European teams, and they're not doing too shabby.

4 lines could also work with the NHL approach with the players they got know. 2 offensive lines like the SJ line ant Cosby, iginla and Nash. A crash and bang line and a defensive line. Play these 4 lines time on ice wise like you would in the NHL. So give your two offensive lines sufficient ice time to produce.

3 lines... easy....

Crosby – Nash – Iginla
    Marleau – Thornton – Heatley
    Staal – Toews – Getzlaf

Bergeron – Richards – Perry – Morrow

Perry, Morrow and Bergeron could help the penalty kill.
    Richards could help with the Power Play.

Good showing yesterday but the real test is tonight. Who will win?

The downside of yesterday’s game was the penalty shop from Sid. Nash should have taken that shot, not Sid. What a way to boost a player’s confidence.

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Good showing yesterday but the real test is tonight. Who will win?

The downside of yesterday’s game was the penalty shop from Sid. Nash should have taken that shot, not Sid. What a way to boost a player’s confidence.
    Considering how he was the only one to score in the shootout in the game vs Switzerland... I can see why they let him take it instead of Nash.

But agreed, he's an all-star, he should be able to take his own shot.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

crosby better watch out for mike richards. if canada is on the verge of being eliminated, richards will try to put crosby in a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by leafseh View Post
    Considering how he was the only one to score in the shootout in the game vs Switzerland... I can see why they let him take it instead of Nash.

But agreed, he's an all-star, he should be able to take his own shot.
    IMO It's not about scoring one more goal, it's about boosting a players confidence. Canada was in control of the game at that point. Crosby scoring on that P-shot would not have made a difference IMO. Letting Nash take the shot could have gave him the edge he need to produce in this tournament. Look at how he seemed relieved when he scored in the 3rd. Anyway, what's done is done and let's hope they bring it tonight.

crosby better watch out for mike richards. if canada is on the verge of being eliminated, richards will try to put crosby in a wheelchair.
    Did I miss something? Why would Richards put Crosby in a wheelchair?

flyers penguins. it's the ugliest rivalry in hockey

flyers penguins. it's the ugliest rivalry in hockey
    I know that but why would Crosby be more of a target if they lose?

because Richards can't take his cheap shot while Canada is winning, and can't do it after they lose, he has to time it perfectly, at the very last minute of the last game Canada plays. Mark my words.

I know that but why would Crosby be more of a target if they lose?
    This also puzzles me

because Richards can't take his cheap shot while Canada is winning, and can't do it after they lose, he has to time it perfectly, at the very last minute of the last game Canada plays. Mark my words.

lol what?!?

Thread Information