+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Timing Is Everything

Three competitors were scheduled to start at 10:00 a.m. Two competitors were present at that time. The third competitor, who was scheduled to play last in the group, was practicing on the range at 10:00 a.m. but arrives just in time to play after the second competitor plays. His actions did not delay the competition. What is the ruling

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Three competitors were scheduled to start at 10:00 a.m. Two competitors were present at that time. The third competitor, who was scheduled to play last in the group, was practicing on the range at 10:00 a.m. but arrives just in time to play after the second competitor plays. His actions did not delay the competition. What is the ruling
    Is this in competition and were they called to the tee by the starter or official on the tee?

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Is this in competition and were they called to the tee by the starter or official on the tee?
    It is a competition and let's say that they were NOT called to the tee by anyone.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Little confusing when you say "Three competitors were scheduled to start at 10:00 a.m"
    IS this the last group?

What time was the last group teeing off?

IF that last time was not the 10:00 am tee off, then I would assume he is NOT late at all and in fact is early if he was there after the second player hit.

Either way, I believe there would be no problem if we there ready to hit with no delay.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    It makes no difference whether it was the last group or not.

Out of Bounds shortdrive is on a distinguished road

matter of timing

My belief would be that he is penalized as he was on the practice range after his designated start of the round.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    It makes no difference whether it was the last group or not.
    I re read original post - my bad
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Please, please, please, can I answer???
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Hint: The answer lies somewhere between Rule 5 and Rule 7.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

You would be better in the other book

You would be better in the other book
    I didn't want to give away too much.

Ok, Rule 6-3a, (except if waived under rule 33-7 with circumstances warranting the waiver) states third competitor is DQ'd for failure to start at time established UNLESS committee is using Rule 6-3 as a condition on competition (thus my competition question) and the 5 minute period would have started, the player would incur a 2 stroke penalty and not be DQ'd.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Ok, Rule 6-3a, (except if waived under rule 33-7 with circumstances warranting the waiver) states third competitor is DQ'd for failure to start at time established UNLESS committee is using Rule 6-3 as a condition on competition (thus my competition question) and the 5 minute period would have started, the player would incur a 2 stroke penalty and not be DQ'd.
    6-3 by itself would disqualify the player in my scenario for being late, however, the note to 6-3, if in effect, would give the player the extra 5 minutes you mentioned.

For those of us locally who compete in sanctioned OVGA, GQ/GAO and/or RCGA tournaments, all organizations have adopted the note to 6-3.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Now if the group was having to wait to tee off on the 1st hole about 5 minutes while someone in the group in front came back to play another ball, would the player still be DQ'd???

6-3 by itself would disqualify the player in my scenario for being late, however, the note to 6-3, if in effect, would give the player the extra 5 minutes you mentioned.

For those of us locally who compete in sanctioned OVGA, GQ/GAO and/or RCGA tournaments, all organizations have adopted the note to 6-3.

Finally, all of my reading comes in handy! Great question! Now on to solve other puzzles you have posted.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Now if the group was having to wait to tee off on the 1st hole about 5 minutes while someone in the group in front came back to play another ball, would the player still be DQ'd???
    The player is still due on the tee, with his group at the starting time designated, regardless of another player having to return to hit a second ball, thus, all of the rules discussed would still apply...wouldn't they?

Gerry, why did you have to complicate my day?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Marc, Decision 6-3a/4 covers this one that I thought I'd just add to Lyle's original question. If the group was unable to start at the time originally established by the Committee and the player arrived before it could do so, the player is not in breach of Rule 6-3a. There seem to always be little twists.

OK, good to know, great twist. I'll just keep playing and let you guys figure out that stuff...lol.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    I was looking at the Great Lakes Tour Policy & Procedures and they require that a player "be ready to play at least 15 minutes prior to their assigned time". I wish the GAO and others would adopt a similar policy rather than just relying on the rulebook. Also, for consistency, GAO starters are discouraged from calling players to the tee, say from a nearby putting green.

Invariably, especially at qualifiers where the formal course related information is often minimal, starters will have a bit of a speech to make and routine to go through, checking ball markings, introductions, course setup etc. prior to each group actually teeing off. It is annoying when players wander up at the last second as it can delay the actual teeoff or cause this routine to be rushed through.

GAO Starters are directed to be very strict in applying the letter of their policy and the starting time rules. Last year in qualifiers, a player who arrived at xx-00-26 and argued that the clock had not turned to xx-01-00 as yet, despite the fact that no one in his group had actually teed off, was penalized 2 strokes and another player arriving at eight minutes after his starting time with several excuses, none of which were credible, was disqualified. As the heading says, "timing is everything".

Quote Originally Posted by PapaPat View Post
    I was looking at the Great Lakes Tour Policy & Procedures and they require that a player "be ready to play at least 15 minutes prior to their assigned time". I wish the GAO and others would adopt a similar policy rather than just relying on the rulebook. Also, for consistency, GAO starters are discouraged from calling players to the tee, say from a nearby putting green.
    Is it possible that your 15 minute suggestion is not put into effect at GAO events because it is contrary to rule, 6-3a, where it says that "The player must start at the time established by the committee?"

At our local OVGA events, players are asked to check in at the registration desk(not the starter) and show their handicap cards at least 15 minutes in advance of their T times, but there is no penalty if they do so less than 15 minutes prior.

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    What the GLT actually says is, "failure to do so may result in a player forfeiting his/her tee time". Seems like the same thing as disqualification to me and I wonder how often they actually apply it. I agree with you that it is iffy under the rules whether they can really do this, but I would like to see the other tours make more of a point of throwing in "ready to play" in any comments about registration or earlier arrival at the tee. Even a consistent five minutes before actual tee time would make a big difference to the Starter's life. I should also add that the majority of the players at GAO events that I have been involved with are very good about this.

I think it is a grey area but there is a body of opinion that this sort of requirement may be acceptable as a Condition of Entry (ie outside the ROG). This would give the Committee the power to revoke the player's entry if the relevant condition is not met.

I think it is a grey area but there is a body of opinion that this sort of requirement may be acceptable as a Condition of Entry (ie outside the ROG). This would give the Committee the power to revoke the player's entry if the relevant condition is not met.
    From an administrative point of view, it would be better to insist that the players check in 15 minutes before their scheduled T time. However, "Your T time is 10:00 but if you are not here by 9:45, you are disqualified," seems a little more than grey, considering 'The player must START at the time established by the committee.' 6-3a

There is nothing in Appendix I - 2 to indicate that a compulsory early check in would be permitted.

The wording of such a Condition of Entry (not a Conditition of Competition) would specify that the player's entry is revoked. ie He is not in the competition not DQd.

The uncertainty is that the RBs have not formally endorsed such an approach nor have they ruled it out of order.

'Lift, clean and place' is a Rule as defined.

THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME
    Golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf.

Hey, what happened to the post I was responding to?
    Last edited by AAA; 03-02-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Missing post

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You mean the one with the 6 links to cell phone sellers? It was removed as spam. Wasn't it you who reported the spammer?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I don't think I had spotted he was spammer when I posted in this thread

Thread Information