CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Ordering from Scotty Cameron website

This is a warning to anyone outside the USA buying from the Scotty website; they ship to Canada via Fedex and a month later you'll get a bill for fees that Scotty never tells you about.

I ordered a headcover which cost $35 US. Shipping was an extra $17 US. Scotty says on their website that it's the buyers responsibility to pay any duties, taxes or other government fees. However, Fedex sends me a bill for duties $0, Gst/Pst $5, and a $10 advancement fee. The advancement fee is really what ticked me off. I emailed Scotty saying they should have warned me about this advancement fee because it has nothing to do with duties/taxes; it's just a Fedex scam. If i had known i would have bought the headcover on ebay for cheaper. They replied to my email with an automated message basically telling me to bug off.

So a $35 headcover ends up costing me an extra $32 in shipping/taxes and a Fedex rippoff fee. What happens if I pay the $5 taxes and never pay the $10? Will that ruin my credit? How about if I call Fedex and ask to make a payment arrangement for that $10? I could sent them $0.50 a month for the next 20 months. I wonder how much their interest rate is... Oh and I will want Fedex to send me a statement every month while I'm paying down this debt so I know where I stand.

Yes, I want Fedex to lose money trying to recover this $10 fee from me. I'm THAT BITTER about it!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    You will have the same issue no matter where you make your purchase if they ship with fedex.

I can't imagine anyone buying an OTR headcover for $35 + $17 + $5 and not being bitter about it ...

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    You will have the same issue no matter where you make your purchase if they ship with fedex.

I can't imagine anyone buying an OTR headcover for $35 + $17 + $5 and not being bitter about it ...
    yes but i didnt know that Fedex does this. now i do. and so now i only buy from places that ship USPS. the scotty website wont be one of them.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    If you have a fedex account, can't you just give them a heads up that you have a shipment coming and have the taxes charged to your account, saving the $10 fee? I know it used to be like that?

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    yes but i didnt know that Fedex does this. now i do. and so now i only buy from places that ship USPS. the scotty website wont be one of them.
    With USPS you will get to pay Canada Post $8 + PST/GST on any item the shipper values at $50 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    With USPS you will get to pay Canada Post $8 + PST/GST on any item the shipper values at $50 or more.
    so far USPS has been good to me. i have been buying a lot off ebay since October, including a brand new x-forged iron set. no extra charges at all. (knock on wood).

you know what's funny? i did a google search for "fedex advancement fee collection" and this thread came up in the top 10 results. lol.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I love Google.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

i google everything. i even googled myself. admit it, you've done it too.

5 Wood nd2golf is on a distinguished road nd2golf's Avatar
    These extra costs are one of the reasons why I have shyed away from joining club Cameron. It would be nice if they would ship via USPS to Canada or better yet to have a Canadian distributor to push their wares through.

I do have a US address to ship to but I send enough of my stuff there already.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I for one wait until my in-laws go to Florida for their winter and ship my stuff there. Take a weeks vacay and bring it all home. You have to wait, but it's all worth it in the end.

update on this situation, i sent fedex a cheque for the taxes ($5) they paid canadian customs to bring my item to canada; but i did not pay their scam advancement fee ($10). they sent me a letter saying i owed them $10, and to pay immediately to avoid further action.

anybody want to guess if fedex sends this $10 to collections? wont they lose more money by sending it to collections (even if i pay in the end) than simply writing it off?

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    They will. You owe them money...

Call FedEx, open an account with them, ask SC.com to put your account number on the air bill and charge taxes to your account. They will not charge you the advancement fee.

Basically, FedEx is loaning you money to prepay taxes on your behalf. $10 is the charge... It is bad on a $40 item, pretty reasonable if it is a $5000 item...

Quote Originally Posted by atomic View Post
    They will. You owe them money...

Call FedEx, open an account with them, ask SC.com to put your account number on the air bill and charge taxes to your account. They will not charge you the advancement fee.

do you mean they wont charge me the $10 fee on future items or the item i just bought?

nevermind atomic, i see what you're saying

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    If you have a fedex account, can't you just give them a heads up that you have a shipment coming and have the taxes charged to your account, saving the $10 fee? I know it used to be like that?

3 Wood pdl16 is on a distinguished road
    It is very sad that this is the kind of service you get from Cameron. You figure when you are charging $300+ for a stand bag, and $100 for "rare" head covers, and they're selling, you could swallow some of the cost. Unfortunately Cameron is taking advantage of the fact that this game has devolved into not "how you play" but "what you play" and what kind of headcover is on your $400 putter. Based on this poor service you received from Scotty Cameron I am going to put a ping headcover on the next Scotty I buy. The newport is just an overpriced anser anyways. Scotty Solheim should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    This is a warning to anyone outside the USA buying from the Scotty website; they ship to Canada via Fedex and a month later you'll get a bill for fees that Scotty never tells you about.

I ordered a headcover which cost $35 US. Shipping was an extra $17 US. Scotty says on their website that it's the buyers responsibility to pay any duties, taxes or other government fees. However, Fedex sends me a bill for duties $0, Gst/Pst $5, and a $10 advancement fee. The advancement fee is really what ticked me off. I emailed Scotty saying they should have warned me about this advancement fee because it has nothing to do with duties/taxes; it's just a Fedex scam. If i had known i would have bought the headcover on ebay for cheaper. They replied to my email with an automated message basically telling me to bug off.

So a $35 headcover ends up costing me an extra $32 in shipping/taxes and a Fedex rippoff fee. What happens if I pay the $5 taxes and never pay the $10? Will that ruin my credit? How about if I call Fedex and ask to make a payment arrangement for that $10? I could sent them $0.50 a month for the next 20 months. I wonder how much their interest rate is... Oh and I will want Fedex to send me a statement every month while I'm paying down this debt so I know where I stand.

Yes, I want Fedex to lose money trying to recover this $10 fee from me. I'm THAT BITTER about it!

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Scotty Cameron and Titleist don't set prices for FedEx shipping policies internationally. That is the company that Accushnet deals with, so that's the company that sc.com deals with.

Again, are there company practices that make it hard to send cheaper items internationally? Yes! FedEx doesn't exist to ship exclusively for sc.com. Try ordering from Ping in the US and have them ship the putter/cover/irons/driver/whatever. You'll run into the exact same problems.

Fedex reversed the charge after i wrote a lengthy letter explaining that I felt the $10 fee was an unauthorized charge not mentioned on the Scotty Cameron website shipping terms. I promised Fedex i'd open a fedex account if they credited me the $10. so i will keep my promise to them.

Thread Information