CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

where the heck did the last 10 years go?

it seems like yesterday we were getting ready for Y2K, the millenium celebration and ushering in a new century. Ten years passed like nothing. I hope the next ten slow down, though with 2 kids now, I see them going even faster.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    When people are 10 years old a year seems like a lifetime. It's actually 10% of a 10 yr old's lifetime experience and probably feels more like about 20% of the time one would have clear memories of. A year was a very long time indeed, relatively speaking. Now, for me at age 50, a year is only 2% of my experience and growing smaller every year. Time speeds up for sure.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I hate to tell you this but the time will go by even more quickly. While you can't slow the inexorable march of time, you can make sure that you have a good time each and every day. I've been doing that for decades and I've never been left wondering: What if? Enjoy. As my wife says: It's not a dress rehearsal.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Tell ya I feel like I've aged big time since I was 25... My buddies and I were talking about our new year's eve 10 years ago. Good thing women believe men get sexier with age! LOL
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Either that or you've been steeled against rejection.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Tell ya I feel like I've aged big time since I was 25... My buddies and I were talking about our new year's eve 10 years ago. Good thing women believe men get sexier with age! LOL
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    If you think time is flying by too fast now, wait until you retire. When every day is Saturday, 'cause sometimes you can remember what day it is, when you do what you want to do (or what she wants you to do) and you enjoy most everything that you do, 12 years can scoot by in a heart beat.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Out with the Aughts - too bad

I believe you have to enjoy new experiences and new destinations every year top make time go slower. My wife and I have only this decade been able to afford to take trips and try new things to slow things down. (Golf and Skiing come to mind)The past ten years seem to me to have gone more slowly with more memories than the 90's. The 90's were University, entry level jobs and hard work.

The Aughts (00's) were much more fun.

An annual vacation south with many varied activities helps in slowing down the effect of having years fly by with no specific memories. My wife and I have done 2 Costa Rica trips, one with some camping in the jungle, zip lining, waterfall rapelling and a few nights of partying. We also did a trip to Belize where we kayaked (and camped) on deserted atolls along the ocean coast. In the early 'Aughts we did some wilderness camping trips in Northern Ontario (Starting in Elk Lake and canoeing to Temagami once, and then doing loops starting near Haileybury (Mowatt's Landing) and trekking to Maple Mountain and Ishtapina Ridge - the highest points in Ontario. We've also White water rafted down the Colorado and Ski'd Utah - featuring the best snow on earth. We also went for a Golf Vacation to Arizona a few years back. It was a busy ten years.

I have also found that the more I golf, the more memories of good and bad shots (more good than bad) help to slow the golf season down a bit. We also try to get to new courses each year, last year we tried Smugglers, the year before, Le Diable and Le Geant. This year, who knows?

I believe when you allow yourself to have a mundane, repetitive life, there is nothing to differentiate your days - making for a blur of memories and years.

The best advice my wife and I have ever gotten (other than our Ministers wedding advice never to use the word 'You' in discussions) was from her Grandmother who said to travel when you are young - you won't feel like it later in life.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    they say time flies when you are having fun. If you want time to pass slower... just stop having fun. quit golf
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Thread Information