+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Decade

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

Your Decade

Hard to believe the decade is pretty much over. What stood out for you, good or bad?

For me, some good first...
    Marriage, birth of two beautiful daughters, new home, the home HDTV (bought one of the first ones in 2002), the PVR, Lost on TV, Bill Simmons becoming a cult hero to the sports fan, first vacations down south, Megan Fox, Sorcier and Equinelle opening.

Some bad, watching the twin towers come down on live TV, reality TV going too far, rheumatoid arthritis, and thankfully not much else that I can remember.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    the good: the world didn't end on Y2K.
    the bad: global warming
    the ugly: 9-11
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    The good: similar to Donny, marriage, two beautiful daughters, new house, perfected the golf bag!

The bad: is mostly all the bad stuff going on in the world these days.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    -Helping my mom through her cancer and dealing with her eventual death.
    -The joy that our two little dogs bring to our daily lives.
    -Playing in the RCGA Canadaian Seniors Championship, twice, teeing off at 8:45, September 11, 2001 at Camelot, the same moment that the first plane crashed into one of the towers. Plus Brantford CC in 2004.
    -Reestablishing a friendship started 40 years ago.
    -Consistent golf, winning tournaments, CC's, senior CC's, course record at Greensmere 64, two holes in one.
    -Rules of Golf certification
    -started running and racing again, occasionally winning age group
    -Most importantly - excellent health

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Like many of you on this forum,dealing with someones death is always a life changing moment.For myself,loosing my mom was especially rough.Taking care of my sister going through breast cancer and still battling has taken its toll on our familly.Loosing our little 10 year old poodle was one of the hardest things.
    Now for the good(thank God)
    The birth of our grandaughter,
    Both my wife and I retiring,
    being able to play golf everyday,
    but like Lyle said,the best is to be in good health and have a loving familly to support you when things get rough.
    O.K. thats enough for me.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Emigrated to Canada (July 2000)
    Birth of two incredible daughters who continue to amaze me (2001 &2004)
    Some lucky career moves (I love my job)
    Took up golf (2008)...wish I had discovered its joys and comaraderie years ago
    Joined the NCGT and joined a golf club
    Meet some excellent people over the last 10 years here

On the negative side...lost some people near and dear to me as life moves on
    watching the 9/11 attacks...it still seems so surreal to think of that

On the whole a decade where my life has changed so much (parenthood, new country etc etc) Loved pretty much all of it but it has gone stupidly quickly. The 2000 New years eve seems like yesterday

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Good thread.

Our family is fortunate that there were many more goods than bads. Bads were 9/11 which continues to affect each of us daily. Happened to be in the same air space (Boston-Logan) as one of the planes that eventually hit the WTC. And was on the only civilian air craft flying in Canadian air space later that day back to Ottawa. Remember flying into Halifax Airport and seeing 40+ 747 (type) planes from all over the world parked everywhere and the airport ringed with locals shoulder to shoulder staring at the sight.

Lost a few family members, RIP.

But the goods were really good, three kids married in 2008, one grandson in 2008 and three more grandchildren (2 boys, 1 girl) in 2009. Nothing will keep you young and alive like the young ones.

Here's hoping the next decade will be memorable for all the right reasons.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Similar to Donny's

Good:
    - Second daughter born in 2000, watching both daughters growing up (ending the decade 11 and 9).
    - Started taking golf more seriously. Started taking lessons, started assembling my own clubs - all of which lead me to this site. Finally got into single digits last year.
    - Working in high tech, seeing some cool stuff come out. Smartphones becoming powerful, HDTV, etc.
    - A modern golden age of cars (ignoring the industry collapse as of late). Old timers may pine nostalgic for the previous "muscle car" era, but cars today are waaaayyy better.
    - Annual trips down to Myrtle Beach where both my folks and inlaws spend the winter.
    - NHL hockey becoming faster and more entertaining with the hook and grab reduced.
    - Both our nieces going to University.
    - My wife's nephew getting drafted by the Belleville Bulls so cool to see him play in the OHL (and hence we see more of that part of the family).

Bad:
    - 911 and current related events, obviously. My older daughter's first day at pre-school was that September morning.
    - Wife lost an otherwise healthy cousin to H1N1.

To be honest not much else I consider "bad". We've had a good decade. Kids are happy and healthy, parents still active and doing good, and we managed to navigate the latest financial/economic implosion with minimal damage. I can only hope the next decade is as good to us personally. Now if we can just get the rest of the world to get their act together...
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Thread Information