CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Ultrasound Wait Times

I injured my shoulder in mid November while picking up my stand bag to put on my back. There was a popping feeling and an deep ache that lasted the rest of the game. I would have quit the round if not for being in the zone and playing my best game of my life. My reduced back swing seemed to improve my swing.

Anyway, everytime I go out for firewood and pick up larger pieces of firewood with my right arm to place on the stack on my left arm, I feel the same but smaller popping feeling and the ache usually interupts my sleep.

I finally went to my Doctor yesterday for a consult and she prescribed an Ultrasound for my shoulder (as well as Physiotherapy).

When I called for an appointment for the Ultrasound and the earliest date I could get is June 2010!! What's the point of making the appointment, by that time the physio will have worked. If it doesn't and I still require an ultrasound then I'll go to the 'states or the Quebec or BC private clinics. I mean, where do the Pro Athletes go - they don't wait 6 months!

I don't think this hoarding (or rationing) of medical services is the Utopia that the US covets.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I mean, where do the Pro Athletes go - they don't wait 6 months!
    They don't use state funded medicine I'll tell you that. When I was playing rugby in the UK our club had a doctor, 3 physios (with ultrasound along with other toys), various therapists who did taping etc, a masseur, and a sport psychologist all employed by the club. Anytime treatment such as scans, x rays etc were needed thay usually sent you to a private clinic and paid. They even sent me to an accupuncutrist and faith healer once to try to help a pesky shoulder injury.

Good luck with the shoulder, if you need ultrasound treatment, I'm sure your physio will do this well before June....it is a very standard treatment for connective tissue injury...and sooner if always better than later for these things before you get too much scar tissue. I can't see how an ultrasound scan would help diagnose anything that an anthletic therapist couldn't, I would just make an appointment with a good sports physio and get some treatment asap
    Last edited by goochy; 12-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    BTW I love the way you finished your round, that is very cool, but doesn't it always happen that way that when you are playing your best thats when something really frustrating happens

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    there are lots of ultrasound clinics around town. There has to be a faster time available than that.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    there are lots of ultrasound clinics around town. There has to be a faster time available than that.
    I asked that of the private merivale clinic I was referred to and they replied the others are even worse off. I've been to this one before and they were always efficient for x-rays.

I've worked at the Riverside and they did have extra long(er) wait times as well for non-life threatening injuries.

I'll see how Physio works out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    BTW I love the way you finished your round, that is very cool, but doesn't it always happen that way that when you are playing your best thats when something really frustrating happens
    I think it was the easing of my backswing that 'made' my round. The injury happened on the 4th hole. I had to carry my bag on my left shoulder for the rest of the round, which was awkward. Luckily I had a Ceaser in my bag to ease the pain.

Putter MarkB is on a distinguished road
    just booked an ultrasound for my shoulder yesterday, wait time was one month. I forget the name of the place but it's at 381 Kent St. Private clinic, cost was $44.05

I've booked Physio starting Jan 4. Could have started sooner but have to much Christmas stuff to do. I know the place I'm going has an Ultrasound therapy machine but not sure about ultrasound imaging.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Stevek... can't help you with the wait times but what you were told does seem surprising. If it were me I'd shop around. I had an ultra sound several years ago for what I thought was possibly cancer. Got in, as I recall, in about a looooong month. I have had three MRI in the last several years and never waited longer than 30 days, although the first was at the Gatineau clinic and it was on the Gov't bill. Hope you find luck with the physio but my experience is that going there without a diagnosis may not be the best thing. Several years ago my MD diagnosed a pinched nerve in my neck causing a pain in my shoulder. Sent to physio for treatment which proved to be useless and painful. Finally got a referal to the clinic at Carleton and they found that I had arthritis in the shoulder which was pinching the nerve. Physio after that diagnosis was very helpful. I know with the MRI others I have talked to say they have had similar experiences and feel that their flexibility to go ANY time or ANY where in the region helped. Best of luck with the shoulder.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Where did you book your ultrasound? I've had 4 or 5 done over the last few years and I always use Gamma-Dynacare labs, there are a number of them around the city, and I've never had to book more than 3-4 days ahead. I have my best luck with the lad in Kanata at 99 Kakulu Rd.

You may want to check them out

http://www.gdml.ca/

I should probably mention that I've only had imaging done, not ultrasound treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Where did you book your ultrasound? I've had 4 or 5 done over the last few years and I always use Gamma-Dynacare labs, there are a number of them around the city, and I've never had to book more than 3-4 days ahead. I have my best luck with the lad in Kanata at 99 Kakulu Rd.

You may want to check them out

http://www.gdml.ca/

I should probably mention that I've only had imaging done, not ultrasound treatments.
    Thanks,

My Physio is 99 Kukulu; I'll bring my requisition in and see if the Physio people have any pull with the imaging people. I have all my bloodwork done there but was unaware they had imaging as well.

Thread Information