100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5 Iron MikeL is on a distinguished road MikeL's Avatar

What would be YOUR Olympic team(hockey)?

If you were Steve Yzerman, which players would you pick for the 2010 Olympics?

Here's my list of players that I would pick to win a gold medal:

C
    Sidney Crosby
    Joe Thornton
    Jonathan Toews
    Jordan Staal

LW
    Rick Nash
    Dany Heatley
    Patrick Marleau
    Brenden Morrow

RW
    Jerome Iginla
    Corey Perry
    Martin St. Louis
    Shane Doan

D
    Jay Bouwmeester
    Scott Niedermayer
    Chris Pronger
    Shea Webber
    Brent Seabrook
    Duncan Keith

G
    Roberto Luongo
    Martin Brodeur
    M-A Fleury

* Now this is not my "dream" team, but a team that I feel would have a nice chance.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    I think Getzltaf is a lock and should be on there. And I would put Phanuef on there instead of Seabrook eventhough him and Keith have pretty good chemistry.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I do not envy Steve Yzerman....picking this team, this year, has got to be the worst job in the world. Players who were 'locks' at the beginning the season have played like crap (Lecavelier, Getzlaf), and people who I personally would never have dreamed of taking (Marleau, Thornton) are playing amazing. There are so many ways to go with this team, it's not funny.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I do not envy Steve Yzerman....picking this team, this year, has got to be the worst job in the world. Players who were 'locks' at the beginning the season have played like crap (Lecavelier, Getzlaf), and people who I personally would never have dreamed of taking (Marleau, Thornton) are playing amazing. There are so many ways to go with this team, it's not funny.
    You never would have dreamed of taking Thornton before this season? That's surprising.

Personally, I would leave the Marleau-Thornton-Heatley line intact. No sense messing with their obvious chemistry.

Amazing how far Eric Staal's stock has fallen. Although, having had the chance to see him 10+ times this year, I can see why. Just not the dominant player he's shown flashes of in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    You never would have dreamed of taking Thornton before this season? That's surprising.

Personally, I would leave the Marleau-Thornton-Heatley line intact. No sense messing with their obvious chemistry.

Amazing how far Eric Staal's stock has fallen. Although, having had the chance to see him 10+ times this year, I can see why. Just not the dominant player he's shown flashes of in the past.
    Thornton....classic underperformer in playoff situations...have never looked like more than a mediocre player when it comes down to clutch time...that's why I would still be very wary about taking him. But I can also see the merits of taking that whole line.

At the start of the year I would have taken Cam Ward as my #1. I still think he's the best playoff goalie in the league, but with the year Carolina is having, and with his injury, it's just not going to happen. That duel he and Brodeur had last year was the best goaltending you will ever see.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Thornton....classic underperformer in playoff situations...have never looked like more than a mediocre player when it comes down to clutch time...that's why I would still be very wary about taking him. But I can also see the merits of taking that whole line.

At the start of the year I would have taken Cam Ward as my #1. I still think he's the best playoff goalie in the league, but with the year Carolina is having, and with his injury, it's just not going to happen. That duel he and Brodeur had last year was the best goaltending you will ever see.
    Yeah, I suppose I could have substituted Ward for Staal and said the exact same thing. His play last year, up until the Pittsburgh series, was stellar and all the talk was about him being the new #1 for Team Canada. Now, I doubt he gets picked period.

I've watched MAF a few times this year, and he is MILES better than he was just last year. I've never liked him, but he's become a stud IMO.

I thought about the underperforming playoff Thornton, but hasn't he been excellent for Team Canada in the past?

Thornton has never really played much for Team Canada. Didn't play in 2002, was a member of the disastrous 2006 team, and also played 1 world cup and 1 worlds. Not a terrible record, but he hasn't exactly got an international pedigree. His teams have generally done just enough in the playoffs to keep him out of the worlds, and not enough to prove he can perform in the clutch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Thornton

scroll down a bit to see his stats. He did have a very good World Cup....10 points in 9 games....the rest is unimpressive.

Sand Wedge sens13 is on a distinguished road sens13's Avatar
    C

Crosby
    Thornton
    Getzlaf
    M.Richards

LW

Nash
    Heatley
    Marleau
    Stamkos (hes having an awesome year)

RW

Iginla
    St.Louis
    Doan
    Sharp (i picked him because hes a really good penalty killer that can score goals)

D

Niedermayer (C)
    Bouwmeester
    Pronger
    Seabrook
    Keith
    Boyle

G

Brodeur
    Luongo
    Fleury

TAXI SQUAD

Toews
    Phaneuf
    Fisher
    Morrow
    Perry
    E.Staal (i cant believe u put jordan on the team and not eric)
    Weber

GO CANADA!!!!
    Last edited by sens13; 12-21-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    SHUT THE...

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    With the abundance of centres we have to select from, some guys will have to move over to the wing....

Heatley Thornton Marleau
    Nash Crosby Iginla
    Getzlaf M.Richards Perry
    Stamkos J. Staal St Louis
    Tavares

Pronger Niedermayer
    Phaneuf Bouwmeester
    Keith Weber
    Boyle

Luongo
    Brodeur
    Fleury

Lecavalier and E. Staal have not played well this year, whatsoever. I'm somewhat tempted to switch Tavares and St. Louis... a young line like that is always a bonus in International play.

We have 3 solid goalies... I'm not sure who to start. I would imagine each would get a round-robin game, with Yzerman's 1a getting the start in the USA game.
    Last edited by leafseh; 12-21-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: formatting
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    how can you say getzlaf is playing like crap?? he has 41 points in 37 games. he started the season off 3 points in 7 games.. he has 38 points in the last 30 games!!!
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Someone's standards are a little high!

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    how can you say getzlaf is playing like crap?? he has 41 points in 37 games. he started the season off 3 points in 7 games.. he has 38 points in the last 30 games!!!
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

to be honest, i don't know where i got that from. I know he's short on goals....but clearly that evalution was way off.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Someone's standards are a little high!
    seriously lol

Reminds me of a friend of mine from highschool, we were playing ball hockey and he says "I would probably be in the NHL in 5 years if I could skate"

I don't know what this reminds me of that, but it does
    willy

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Can't say I'm feeling real confident in the selections. A few surprises.....
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forwards
    Patrice Bergeron, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Que. (Boston Bruins)
    Sidney Crosby, Cole Harbour, N.S. (Pittsburgh Penguins) Alternate captain
    Ryan Getzlaf, Regina, Sask. (Anaheim Ducks)
    Dany Heatley, Calgary, Alta. (San Jose Sharks)
    Jarome Iginla, St. Albert, Alta. (Calgary Flames) Alternate captain
    Patrick Marleau, Aneroid Sask. (San Jose Sharks)
    Brenden Morrow, Carlyle, Sask. (Dallas Stars)
    Rick Nash, Brampton, Ont. (Columbus Blue Jackets)
    Mike Richards, Kenora, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers)
    Corey Perry, Peterborough, Ont. (Anaheim Ducks)
    Eric Staal, Thunder Bay, Ont. (Carolina Hurricanes)
    Joe Thornton, St. Thomas, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)
    Jonathan Toews, Winnipeg, Man. (Chicago Blackhawks)
    Defence
    Dan Boyle, Ottawa, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)
    Drew Doughty, Ottawa, Ont. (LA Kings)
    Duncan Keith, Penticton, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)
    Scott Niedermayer, Cranbrook, B.C. (Anaheim Ducks) - Captain
    Chris Pronger, Dryden, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers) - Alternate captain
    Brent Seabrook, Tsawwassen, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)
    Shea Weber, Sicamous, B.C. (Nashville Predators)
    Goalies
    Roberto Luongo, Montreal, Que. (Vancouver Canucks)
    Martin Brodeur, Montreal, Que. (New Jersey Devils)
    Marc-Andre Fleury, Sorel, Que. (Pittsburgh Penguins)
    willy

not the team i would have picked, but hearing the names i didn't have a single "wtf is he doing here?" moment.

I am going on record now as saying I like the team - if I start whining down the road that Stevie picked a bad team, someone remind me of this post.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I know teams need "role" players, but I think this team has too many of those guys that made the team based on reputation and not based on their performance this year.

Weber played much better last year than this year.
    Morrow, Staal and Richards have been real inconsistent whereas Fisher and Doan have been much more consistent this year. Even Patrick Sharp has been better on a nightly basis than some of the other guys.

I figured Bergeron would be there simply because everyone has been raving about his play this year.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    More than a few players need to pick up there play. All good players but Stevie made it clear that the players picked would be based on this years play, Staal, Richards, Niedermayer and Getzlaf are all having bad seasons. there are more ???? about this team than I would have liked to see.

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    Doan and Green not listed is a surprise, but other than that I like the team.

Staal has been injured....not innefective. Had a 5 point night a few days ago that probably solidified his spot.

There are a couple guys who you might say made it on reputation, but there are at least 3 guys who are there based solely on this year's performance: Marleau, Doughty, Bergeron. Sure, it would have been nice to see Fisher on there, but there were too many players playing well this year.

Morrow will always perform when it's on the line...same with a guy like Richards. He can play in any situation, and will torment the opposition physically. I would have been very angry had he not made the team.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    It's tough to argue the selections. It didn't matter what they did there would be "discussion". There is no one they took to me that was a WTF and no one that they didn't take that was a WTF.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Baxter
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I know teams need "role" players, but I think this team has too many of those guys that made the team based on reputation and not based on their performance this year.

Weber played much better last year than this year.
    Morrow, Staal and Richards have been real inconsistent whereas Fisher and Doan have been much more consistent this year. Even Patrick Sharp has been better on a nightly basis than some of the other guys.

I figured Bergeron would be there simply because everyone has been raving about his play this year.
    The players you just listed...what type or kind of player are they? Roll players...If you had of said players like Lecavailer,Stamkos, Spezza these are flash players not roll like you mentioned.
    The Team is Golden..
    Don't foget there will be 3 or 4 more players named incase of injury(or bad playing).
    Do you think Ov was happy with that Team today? I'll bet as soon has he heard Mike Richards name he was thinking about jumping and breaking a ankle...as that will be less painful than what he will get when he has to face Canada in the Gold Medal Game...I think the real "ROOM" issue will be with the goalies...Who is number 3 and can that guy deal with it? Fleury should never get another shot to wear that Canada jerseys after he lost, and YES he lost the World Jr's for our Country. I will never forget that bozo move.
    The pressure is amazing that these guys have to handle...GOLD Baby, Just GOLD..I love it.....
    who will be the Injured players added....Phaneuf, Stamkos, Carter....of course just a guess but it would fill any hole incase of injury...
    who do you think???? let the second guessing begin....

Cheers and Happy New Year......Only 43 more sleeps for Canada's 1st warm up game.....

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Bottom line is that Hockey Canada could easilly pick 3 full teams that would contend for the gold medal.

This is a good, physical team built to play on the smaller ice surface. Big forwards with great hands, who can dish out the punishment, and move well in close quarters. Solid technical goaltenders with good rebound control, and responsible defencemen.

Again, sure there could have been others, but Stevie Y, Babcock, and Holland have put together a really solid Canadian hockey lineup.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Bottom line is that Hockey Canada could easilly pick 3 full teams that would contend for the gold medal.
    No chance, russia would kill all three teams. so would USA
    willy

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    No chance, russia would kill all three teams. so would USA
    Trollin, trollin, trollin...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Trollin, trollin, trollin...
    not trolling, just saying if canada picked the best 69 players and split the teams up evenly... they would have no chance at winning the gold
    willy

Baxter
    Silly are you trying to end the year on a high note??? I'll play a little with ya...

Russia MIGHT be able to beat the third team....Heck I guess on any given night any top team might be able to beat anyone..There is no doubt that Team Canada has the Best and is the ONLY COMPLETE HOCKEY TEAM. Does that mean they will win...No. But they have the best chance, odds, of all the teams to win Gold... Looking at Team CCCP(I like that better) Russia will be lucky to have 2 complete strong lines - that being 2 lines of 5 players for a total of 10 Top players - after that they are out matched by Team Canada. But that will be one heck of a Top line and could give them a lot of power plays.
    Team USA on the other hand DON'T have 2 Super Star lines(not yet - The next Olympics they will be very,very strong) - the 3rd & 4th lines should be good for shut down but not much goals. They hurt on defence and that could kill them. USA & Russia will be counting on the Goalies to win unlike Canada. These 2 teams don't have the guns to roll against Team Canada. Team Sweden should be the biggest foe for Team Canada. Better defence than the other teams to match up agianst Canada's guns.
    But as we've all seen before...The top teams have some of the best goalies in the world, giving them a chance to win. What ever team plays Canada, it's that teams gold medal game. Making every game tougher for Team Canada than any other team in the Olympics. If it was a best out of 3. You could start getting the medals made for Canada right now. But it's not that way. Sadness...

I think these are how the pools break down?
    I'm not sure how they line up after for the "Play-offs"? If someone knows, share....
    Group A - Canada, USA, Switzerland, Norway - The NHL fix in this pool.
    Canada Vs. USA - Feb 21
    Group B - Russia, Latvia,Czech, Solvakia
    Group C - Finland, Sweden, Belarus, Germany

Cheers
    Team Canada Gold Medal

Baxter
    not trolling, just saying if canada picked the best 69 players and split the teams up evenly... they would have no chance at winning the gold
    Silly, if they did not have to play against each other until the Gold Medal Game...2 out the 3 Team Canada's would win medals...That would be Gold and a fight for Silver against Sweden. With Team Canada 3 just missing the sweep...Just my thought, just like you have yours...We will never know...it won't be allowed.

The fact that we're having talk of being able to Ice more than 1 Team says all that needs to be said..
    We all know the only Country that could even think about doing this is the Greatest Hockey Country in the World....CANADA....That should end this crazy talk!!!!

Cheers,
    Canada 2010 Olmypic GOLD Medal Champions

are you saying Canada A (best players), canada B (second best players) canada C (third best players). so, the top 23 players on the first team, 24-46 on the second team and finally, 47-69 on the third team. The first team would be the FAV to win the gold... as they obviously are. The second and third teams wouldn't even place in the medals.

If the teams were split evenly... neither of them would be able to beat sweden, russia or the states. They would be spread to thin over three teams!!

that top russian line is gonna killer. I can't wait to see what happens. I've always cheered for russia cause its closer to india
    willy

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Here's a team posted on Si.com of 23 Canadian players that didn't make it. I think as it is, it would be a medal contender, and if you distributed the players more evenly between the two teams, you could have two favourites. I don't think a third team would contend though.

FORWARDS
    Mike Cammalleri
    Jeff Carter
    Shane Doan
    Mike Fisher
    Nathan Horton
    Vincent Lecavalier
    Dustin Penner
    Brad Richards
    Marc Savard
    Patrick Sharp
    Jordan Staal