CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Exclamation Golf Swing Construction 101: The Bertholy Method Revisited.

Golf Swing Construction 101: The Bertholy Method Revisited.

http://www.paulbertholy.com

Thanks to BC_Mist, I ordered this book a month ago. I have been working on program 1 for three weeks now. Program 1 is simply holding 7 key positions for 10 seconds each. This is done at home not on the driving range.

The first day I played golf following three days of drills, I swung at the ball but it was not my regular swing. It felt like somebody was controlling my swing. My ball flite and trajectory was completely different. I was amazed how my golf swing changed in so little time.

My handicap crashed a bit at the beginning of the year. Before starting these drills, I was a 9.6 HDCP. I dropped to 7.5 in two weeks. I played my personal best 72 yesterday at Hautes Plaines (Dôme).

I highly recommend this book to any serious golfer that is willing to work 15 to 30 a day on home based drills. I felt a difference in only 4 days. I cannot wait to see myself in two months. It may be deferent for you but it is worth the shot.

It cost me 45$ cdn for the book.

Give me feedback if you have some.

Cheers,
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Golf Swing Construction 101: The Bertholy Method Revisited.

http://www.paulbertholy.com

Thanks to BC_Mist, I ordered this book a month ago. I have been working on program 1 for three weeks now. Program 1 is simply holding 7 key positions for 10 seconds each. This is done at home not on the driving range.

The first day I played golf following three days of drills, I swung at the ball but it was not my regular swing. It felt like somebody was controlling my swing. My ball flite and trajectory was completely different. I was amazed how my golf swing changed in so little time. My handicap crashed a bit at the beginning of the year. Before starting these drills, I was a 9.6 HDCP. I dropped to 7.5 in two weeks. I played my personal best 72 yesterday at Hautes Plaines (Dôme).
    I highly recommend this book to any serious golfer that is willing to work 15 to 30 a day on home based drills. I felt a difference in only 4 days. I cannot wait to see myself in two months. It may be deferent for you but it is worth the shot.
    It cost me 45$ cdn for the book.
    Give me feedback if you have some.
    Cheers,
    "To gain a fine golf swing, man must work." Paul Bertholy, 'Ode to Golf.'

Congratulations on your improvement. The concept of improving your golf swing without hitting balls may be baffling to some, however, progress is accelerated by doing it this way.

Developing some lag, arm strength and slowly moving the club into the "on plane" position, via slow motion, and static position drills, while time consuming and perhaps boring at times, will make you a better golfer, sooner.

After playing your course for the first time in the spring open qualifier and scoring 72, I can understand your satisfication, as the course is a tough one to go low on, considering how punitive it can be if you miss on the wrong side.

Keep up the good work.

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    I highly recommend this book to any serious golfer that is willing to work 15 to 30 a day on home based drills.
    Hmmm...I may give it a shot over the off season. My game is up and down, as of yesterday I went out and hit every drive and iron to satisfaction...the game can give you heart burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    Hmmm...I may give it a shot over the off season. My game is up and down, as of yesterday I went out and hit every drive and iron to satisfaction...the game can give you heart burn.

The faster you start, the faster you will improve.

I took lessons for two year and my game was screwed up after each lesson. The programs in this book don’t have that side effect. Don't ask me why but it doesn't ruin you swing at least not mine. I can feel the changes in my swing with positive feedback on the course.

That's the beauty of it.

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    The faster you start, the faster you will improve.
    Hi, new here, just read this. Is this the same as Natural golf? Or is it just improving golf technique?

Quote Originally Posted by golfmania
    Hi, new here, just read this. Is this the same as Natural golf? Or is it just improving golf technique?
    It has nothing to do with Natural Golf.

They are programs that exaggerate certain position of the golf swing. You hold these positions for 10 seconds with a weighted club or lead pipe.

I was sceptical but I tried it and it works.

I have tried a lot of training aids and took lessons for two year and nothing come close to what I felt in two week with program 1. There are a total of 4 or 6 programs that build on the other. The processes can take a few years to learn buts it is worth It.

45$ is what it will cost you for a lesson with your local Pro. This book is for a lifetime.

I have my father in law hooked on this too!!

Look at me, I sound like an advertising add.

I can’t believe that there is not more player interested in this. Oh well, their loss.

There is also another forum with users that use the Bertholy programs. You can ask them question like I did. They are more experienced in the process then I am now.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/72052

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "home-based" drills? Does this require a net, or tons of space?

Thanks,
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "home-based" drills? Does this require a net, or tons of space?

Thanks,
    Dan
    You don’t hit balls in the first three or fore programs. I do the exercises with a 2 pound 16 inch iron pipe. You can do them in your living room. No ball, no net needed. No more driving range.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    You don’t hit balls in the first three or fore programs. I do the exercises with a 2 pound 16 inch iron pipe. You can do them in your living room. No ball, no net needed. No more driving range.
    Will definitely take a look at this then. I find that a lot of instructional books/videos seem to require you to have a TV/VCR at the range, which is not something I'm able to do. I also live in an apartment, so no garage or anything like that to set up a practice facility.

Always looking to improve though, so this sounds like a great idea.

Thanks!
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Look at me, I sound like an advertising add.
    You have sold me. I will buy it and check it out. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by golfmania
    You have sold me. I will buy it and check it out. Thank you.
    Let me know how it goes.

Having been a proponent of the Bertholy drills for roughly 20 years, let me assure you that they work. The process is unlike anything that you have ever done and IMO, vastly superior to any lesson(s) that you can get from a local professional.

What you are simply doing is performing a correct golf swing in slow motion and static positions, in your living room or backyard, whenever you have time. You don't need any balls, net or fancy gizmos, just a club and a pipe. The work, however, is hard. You must repeat the correct positions time and time again.

You are training your subconscious mind to control your swing, and it will, in time. Mike sees a difference right away, but it is not a conscious thing. His progress is unusually good and fast. For most of us it may take longer, but it works.

My pipe is a 3' length of 1/2" copper, with a tee on the end, closed by duct tape. The entire pipe is filled with sand and I put a golf grip on the end. That's it.

Paul Bertholy is dead now, but one of his assistants' Doug Ferreri has rewritten Paul's book from the old book and from notes that Paul left him. It's unusual, unorthodox, simple and effective. It will teach you subconsciously, to swing down on plane, delay the unhinging of the wrists and will most assuredly increase your distance with each club.

I am not kidding.

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road

Bertholy Method

mberube, did you order this book from the Paul Bertholy website? I looked there and it appeared that they wanted either a cheque or money order and the site seemed to be catered to Americans. Did you have to contact Doug to find out how much to send, etc. Is there a local way to get a copy of this book?

One other thing that I noticed about this method is that it was crafted in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. Do you (and feel free to comment BC MIST) find that these teachings still apply to the 'modern' way of swinging the club?

Any other info on your current progress with this system would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    amac

Quote Originally Posted by amac
    mberube, did you order this book from the Paul Bertholy website? I looked there and it appeared that they wanted either a cheque or money order and the site seemed to be catered to Americans. Did you have to contact Doug to find out how much to send, etc. Is there a local way to get a copy of this book?

One other thing that I noticed about this method is that it was crafted in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. Do you (and feel free to comment BC MIST) find that these teachings still apply to the 'modern' way of swinging the club?

Any other info on your current progress with this system would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    amac
    I sent an e-mail to Doug. He told me to send him a 30.95 US cheque to the address on the web site. The book is sold form that site only.

Paul Bertholy was ahead of his time in a major way. I understand that this book was written with note from the 40s 50s 60 s…..but players on tour today like Sergio Garcia swing the Bertholy method. As you know, Sergio is very long and accurate of the tee. Not that Sergio used this book but his swing is the same as Paul teaches. He also teached the way Hogan and Sneed swung at the ball. Hogan is still used as a model swing today.

Bertholy was a Master PGA teacher. His schools are still up and running in the states today.

Warning to the lazy ones, this is not a walk in the park. The exercise can be painful and hard to do. You MUST practice the drills immaculately and as often as possible so it can creep up naturally in your swing.

Regards,amac
    I am unsure of what you mean by the "modern" way of swinging the golf club as the range of conventional swings has really not changed in my lifetime. The grip is still in the fingers, lead arm still straight, trail arm still folded, weight shifts aft and fore still take place.

The Bertholy Method will increase the flexibility and strength of your arms and wrists, get you to an "on plane" position that will cause the club head to approach the ball from the inside, delay the unhinging of the wrists and trail arm until later in the downswing, ensuring that the hands are ahead of the ball at impact, and should improve tour tempo. These characteristics will help any golf swing.

Just as a reminder of what "on plane" really means, and this term does mean different things to different people, when you go to the following link, just scroll down and you will see that the club shaft coincides with the right forearm. The BM will easily help you achieve this ideal position.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/threa...eid=1089747792

BTW: Our own mberube started this thread. I hope that you don't mind the reference. The Single Axis Forum is fairly technical overall, but one of the best forums on the net.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    As somewhat of a Golf Channel junkie, the topic of the "Modern" swing came up the other day in the discussion of Todd Hamilton.

These days, there is a fairly large camp of what I like to call the "technical" teachers. From what I can see they try to teach you a very specific way of moving. I.e. in their minds there is only ONE way to swing.

Now human physiology would suggest that is just absurd. People are different heights, arm lengths, etc. so it's unrealistic that there is one swing.

They often use comparisons of the old timers like Lee Trevino, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold, etc. to show how effective very different swings can all be effective.

The important thing that always gets stressed is that at impact all of the good players look more or less the same. It's just a matter of getting there in a repeatably.
    Last edited by jvincent; 07-22-2004 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Typo.

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road
    Point taken on the 'modern' swing. I believe that equipment, fitness, and other factors have made small differences in the way the swing is today vs 40 or 50 years ago, and that's more the point that I was trying to make.

That said, it is still everyone's goal to return the club squarely to the back of the ball on a consistent basis (that will never change).

I contacted Doug via email, so I'll follow his lead to obtain a copy of PB's book.

Thanks for the heads up mberube and BC MIST as to the hard work required to see benefits. I am willing to work my tail off in this regard, so I hope to see similar results that you have seen.

Regards,
    amac

Putter jsaikaley is on a distinguished road
    Anyone interested in selling their copy of the book?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    My pipe is a 3' length of 1/2" copper, with a tee on the end, closed by duct tape. The entire pipe is filled with sand and I put a golf grip on the end. That's it.
    Is this easy to build, I have no experience of putting my own grips on clubs let alone a copper pipe, does the book give good instructions on building the weighted club. How much does your weighted club weigh? Also do you put the tee on the end as a guide to if your 'clubface' is square?

How exactly does it improve your tempo, is it because when you swing a normal club it will seem so light that you swing real easy (but actually quite fast)?

I am really interested in buying this book and trying this method.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    Is this easy to build, I have no experience of putting my own grips on clubs let alone a copper pipe, does the book give good instructions on building the weighted club. How much does your weighted club weigh? Also do you put the tee on the end as a guide to if your 'clubface' is square?

How exactly does it improve your tempo, is it because when you swing a normal club it will seem so light that you swing real easy (but actually quite fast)?

I am really interested in buying this book and trying this method.
    I use a steel rod that I bought at the local hardware store. It’s a steel rod that you stick in the ground for land measurements. It’s about two feet long and 2 pounds. I taped it with hockey tape.

You don’t need to know if the club is open or closed. Just make sure to follow the instructions and keep you wrist as flat as possible. You wrist will hurt for the first couple of week.

The book explains that the club must be sung waist high to waist high.

I feel like I am swinging at 60% but amazingly I am hitting it further and strait.

This book is a must if you’re willing to practice and improve.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've been following this thread for a while with some interest.

Mike, you mentioned that your index went from 9.5 to 7.6 quite quickly at the early part of July.

I'm curious, have you lowered it even more?

With the off season looming, this might be in the cards for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    I've been following this thread for a while with some interest.

Mike, you mentioned that your index went from 9.5 to 7.6 quite quickly at the early part of July.

I'm curious, have you lowered it even more?

With the off season looming, this might be in the cards for me.
    I am a 7.1 index at the moment with a best round of 72 on a par 70 but I have not played a lot the last three weeks cause I am renovating.

If you try to talk to Doug, the owner of this book, he might be hard to find at the moment cause he lives in Orlando. With all the hurricanes in Florida now, he is probably out of town.

You can reach him at this address. Otw55t@aol.com

Tell him I sent you form this forum.

Thread Information