CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PVR vs TIVO

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Talking PVR vs TIVO

I don't have either but I'm looking into a means of recording digitally. What do these two offer. Do I still need a digital box?

Thanks for helping out a technological dinosaur
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I've been resisting this technology for a long time too, Chris. For the TV lover, I believe it is the kind of tech that will make you wonder how you watched tv without one.

A friend has a dual hd PVR satellite receiver from Bell, which has failed him 4 times and been replaced under warranty by Bell.

Are you cable or satellite, or considering both options?
    Andrew

Cable
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I didn't think you could use a TIVO on Rogers.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Do I still need a digital box?
    Nope. The Rogers HD PVR has a built in HDTV digital terminal.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I don't think Tivo supports HD in Canada.

Because of this I would say you have to go with a Bell HD PVR... I just bought a 9242... It is awesome. You could have 2 different channel on pause...you can watch one channel and record another one... you could watch a PVR show and record 2 other channels.

PS: I am with Bell Expressvu
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    PVR changed my life. I have the Bell HD PVR, 2 tuner, never had a single issue. My wife, who thought i was nuts at first when I bought it a few years ago, now could not live without it. And you know, we still have time for eachother. lol
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    AFAIK TIVO is not supported on Bell or Rogers, you have to go with one of their boxes. I am with Rogers, HDPVR and its great. I didn't like Bell as the signal sometimes got messed up in bad weather and if you mount your dish where is inacessible, snow can affect your signal. Haven't seen the Bell PVR but the rogers one is good, though I think the interface is a little dated. I can't live without it now and rarely watch shows live unless it is sports. only problem is my 5 year old now knows how to record shows so our pvr is filled with treehouse shows now.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Tivo is supported in Canada, but it's not the same as their american service. We looked into it a few years ago when we got a new tv. The main drawback is that you can't record in high def on their PVR here. It's a big drawback. Plus, on top of the $200 charge for the Tivo PVR you have to pay a $13 monthly fee, but that doesn't include your cable charge, it's just for having the Tivo interface. So you'll have to have a Rogers or Bell box, and still pay their fees on top of Tivo's. I like the Tivo interface a lot, but it's useless for me if you can't record in HD.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Rent a PVR from Rogers. I've had one since they've launched and it is simply amazing. My wife NEVER watches live TV any more.......she hate commercials.

I say rent vs. buy because if your TV is on a lot (I have 2 young kids) it is equivalent to your computer hard drive writing data constantly for 8-9 hours a day (i.e. it will die a painful death every year or two). I've had 6 different PVRs now, but when the write head goes a quick call to Rogers and a new one is delivered the next day. I'd never buy one of these

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I had a rented PVR for almost 4 years and just bought one for a great deal off eBay. If it it dies in 2 years you're no further ahead renting versus buying since it will cost you approx $540 in rental fees which is the cost to buy retail. Look around and find a new in the box one off eBay and if it lasts 2 years you'll be better off from a dollar position.

I got a great deal about 5 years ago from Rogers. They had a deal where I traded in my Bell receiver and I have a free HD PVR rental for life. That deal is long gone, but you can get a 1 or 2 year free deal if you push them. Check out redflagdeals.com - there is a thread on there about a ton of people that have gotten this deal.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    +1 Jeff. I've had a HD PVR for over 2 years now from Rogers and haven't paid a dime. You just have to say the right things on the phone and they'll give it to you for free.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    +1 Jeff. I've had a HD PVR for over 2 years now from Rogers and haven't paid a dime. You just have to say the right things on the phone and they'll give it to you for free.
    Or threaten to come over and eat their children, right???
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I am on year three with Rogers and have an HDPVR as well as an HD Recveiver for which I have not paid.

The one benefit BELL has is a bigger hard drive with easy access to hook up an external hard drive for even more storage, however you need to put the god awful receiver or dish on your roof which I hate. I also do not like Bell's functionality and look, ghowever friends of mine who have Bell do not like my Rogers looks and functionality - go figure!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Welcome to the dark side. You will wonder how you lived without the PVR before this. I'm also with rogers and have two in my house (one HD one regular). I purchased one of the PVRs several years ago and it is still working as good as ever. The savings over time surpass the rental fees greatly. You need to check the conditions of your cable contract though. If you are on a special rate e.g. Rogers VIP, one of the conditions is that a digital box is rented, otherwise the package is negated. For that reason, one of our's is still a rental. If you have more than one cable box in your home, but only are getting one PVR, it might be better to rent the non-PVR box, as they are cheaper to rent.

The hdpvr is on for $349 at FS this week

Is that a good one?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    The hdpvr is on for $349 at FS this week

Yep it's what I have

fyi last year after Xmas they were on for $299

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Bought ours and love the HDPVR, only way to watch the tube!! Tape golf and you can get through rounds in 1/4 the time!!

Jeff you a Bragg fan? He's one of my faves. Check out his collaboration with Wilco if you haven't already!!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Bought ours and love the HDPVR, only way to watch the tube!! Tape golf and you can get through rounds in 1/4 the time!!

Jeff you a Bragg fan? He's one of my faves. Check out his collaboration with Wilco if you haven't already!!
    Yep, big fan. Saw him a month ago when he was here- great show. Also caught him in 1993 at carleton u.

And yes I have both mermaid avenue cd's the first of which i think i wore out.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    I have a hdpvr from Rogers and have been renting about 2 years now. Have thought of purchasing but because of the hard drive haven't.

One great thing with the hd pvr is if you have a DVD recorder. You can take anything that you have recorded on the pvr and move it to DVD... Great if you also subscribe to TMN.... Definitely check Boxing Day sales....

Costco even sells the hd pvr with the 320 GB hard drive, where the one rogers sells is 160GB....

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Wow, appears i'm in the minority with Bell.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Thread Information