100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roy Halladay

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Roy Halladay

In a time of Prima Donna I am better than you super atheletes, today; the Doc got traded out of Toronto.

I used to be a huge baseball fan until the lockout, but have been following a little bit since.

All pro atheletes should take a look at this guy who exemplifies class, ethics, and professionalism.

I would have loved to see the Doc stay his entire career in TO and get a World Championship there, but unfortunately Jays are nowhere near contending anytime soon.

Good luck to the Doc in Philly.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The best pitcher the Jays ever had, and a classy, classy guy. I hope he gets a ring, he certainly deserves it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Just wait till his wife chases him down the driveway with a baseball bat.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    IMO the best pitcher the Jays have ever had. Generally has not complained and tended to take less money than he could have commanded on the open market. That said this move had to be done - Jays need to re-build and Doc deserves a chance to win.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    But how can you justify trading a perennial Cy Young candidate for 3 prospects? Not a proven player amongst them and certainly no one that can help the team in the foreseeable future. As a minimum I think you MUST get at least one guy who will be on your opening day roster.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Just wait till his wife chases him down the driveway with a baseball bat.
    seriously. as soon as people say a guy is classy and role model i think you've jinxed him. Federer, Crosby, P. Manning, Mylie Sirus (sp?), it's just a matter of time.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    But how can you justify trading a perennial Cy Young candidate for 3 prospects? Not a proven player amongst them and certainly no one that can help the team in the foreseeable future. As a minimum I think you MUST get at least one guy who will be on your opening day roster.
    They were going to lose him for nothing when his contract expired.

Deals like this happen all the time. The gem in this trade is (I think) Kyle Drabek, a Phillies Double-A pitching prospect. This is a guy that the Phillies would NOT part with last season at the trade deadline, even for Halladay. Must mean he is the real deal.

They say Drabek (who is the son of Doug Drabek) has better raw stuff than his old man and gets up into the high 90's. The Jays basically got 3 first rounders for Roy and now have some cash space to get some guys off the street. I just hope the Jays management have the stomach for a full rebuild and have good scouts. The next few seasons will be rough.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa View Post
    The next few seasons will be rough.
    As opposed to the last few?

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    The reason why this deal became necessary is because they will get nothing for him past the beginning of spring training. He's worth more to a team for the full season than as a rental, and I'm sure he's accepted a 3 year contract extension with Philly, so they are probably prepared to lose what Drabek might become in the future, for 2 championships right now. Also, Roy said he wasn't talking about this during the season, and it would have hung over the teams head all year.

JP Ricciardi is a dufus who took a page out of the typical Toronto GM management book: Pay old dudes lots for past successes and watch your money burn. When you waive and/or cut your big tickets for nothing, you're not doing anything for someone like Doc. Hell, they gave Rios so much money that they couldn't trade him away. Same with Vernon Wells.

We'll see how this works out in the next couple of years, but without Doc, they aren't as much "fun" a team to watch. To see someone come out and just instill doubt in so many batters is a wonderful thing to watch.

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    As opposed to the last few?
    It will get worse before (hopefully) it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    We'll see how this works out in the next couple of years, but without Doc, they aren't as much "fun" a team to watch. To see someone come out and just instill doubt in so many batters is a wonderful thing to watch.
    There are a lot of American League teams happy to see him go to the senior circuit. When he is "off" he is still good enough to win games, and when he is "on" he can not be hit.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    A perfect example of his class:

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=303305
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Thread Information