CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar

Spezza Injury Serious

Clouston just announced that Spezza has, "a serious right knee injury". He is having an MRI at 3:30 this afternoon which will give a better idea of how long he is out. I know he has not had a very good start, but he has started to score as of late, and he is still the team's number 1 centre. I think this may be a hard void to fill from within if he is out for any length of time. The standings are very close now, and this could be a big problem for the Sens.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../12162956.html
    Last edited by tmacgolf; 12-15-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added link

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Was watching the game last night and was getting frustrated with Spezza's lacklustre play and the constant giveaways. Had my Blackberry in hand and was going to post in the Sports section that someone should break Spezza's leg so he'd get off the ice. Looks like in a round-a-bout way, my wish came true......
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Was watching the game last night and was getting frustrated with Spezza's lacklustre play and the constant giveaways. Had my Blackberry in hand and was going to post in the Sports section that someone should break Spezza's leg so he'd get off the ice. Looks like in a round-a-bout way, my wish came true......
    I hear you. That was a pretty frustrating game for a fan of the team to watch him back to many of his old/annoying habits. I think he sometimes tries too hard in games like that, or feels he needs to put on a show for his home town friends and family. I still think trading Josh Hennessey and Jason Spezza in the line up for two months is going to be a big problem. Now if someone would break Kovalev's leg however.......

Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    I hear you. That was a pretty frustrating game for a fan of the team to watch him back to many of his old/annoying habits. I think he sometimes tries too hard in games like that, or feels he needs to put on a show for his home town friends and family. I still think trading Josh Hennessey and Jason Spezza in the line up for two months is going to be a big problem. Now if someone would break Kovalev's leg however.......

Can't really complain about Kovalev. The Sens had to know what they were getting when they signed him (underachiever, slacker), and so far he hasn't disappointed. Not sure that is the best way to say that, but it fits.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Not having Spezza will be tough, but it's not like we're losing a guy on pace for 40 goals. It will be tough, but it's a roster spot for some of the young talent (and Sean Donovan), and those are the guys that Clouston is able to get a lot out of. Should be interesting.

I don't have any problem with the way Kovalev is playing. He is playing how Kovalev is supposed to play. Seems like he isn't trying, but still manages to make defenders look foolish. And, while Mike Fisher is playing great, Kovalev has been an important part of his resurgence, setting him up with a number of golden opportunities. The key to watching Kovalev is not to watch his feet - as soon as you get caught up with how hard he's skating, you'll be dissappointed.

BTW, was anybody else annoyed that, after weeks of whining about his play, only about 20 fans bothered to toss hats out for Kovalev's hat trick. You could see the disappointment in his eyes...he looked like a little boy whose puppy had been run over. He finally had a breakout night, and the fans still didn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Not having Spezza will be tough, but it's not like we're losing a guy on pace for 40 goals. It will be tough, but it's a roster spot for some of the young talent (and Sean Donovan), and those are the guys that Clouston is able to get a lot out of. Should be interesting.

I don't have any problem with the way Kovalev is playing. He is playing how Kovalev is supposed to play. Seems like he isn't trying, but still manages to make defenders look foolish. And, while Mike Fisher is playing great, Kovalev has been an important part of his resurgence, setting him up with a number of golden opportunities. The key to watching Kovalev is not to watch his feet - as soon as you get caught up with how hard he's skating, you'll be dissappointed.

BTW, was anybody else annoyed that, after weeks of whining about his play, only about 20 fans bothered to toss hats out for Kovalev's hat trick. You could see the disappointment in his eyes...he looked like a little boy whose puppy had been run over. He finally had a breakout night, and the fans still didn't care.

I think it had to do more with the fact he really didn't do much for his goals. Granted I didn't see the second goal, but the first wasn't much of a tip into an open net and the third was into an empty net. Not much to get really pumped up about. Now if he had danced around defenders and deked out goalies for a few of those goals, people might've gotten excited.

I have to disagree with the Kovalev comments. On most nights he is a passenger coasting through games. He is also on pace for about half as many points as the last two years so even though he is known to take nights off he is not performing up to expectations. So I disagree that he is giving exactly what was expected. I could put up with the coasting if the points were still coming. The puck came right to him with 4 seconds left last night and he wasn't even ready to take the shot.

I think it had to do more with the fact he really didn't do much for his goals. Granted I didn't see the second goal, but the first wasn't much of a tip into an open net and the third was into an empty net. Not much to get really pumped up about. Now if he had danced around defenders and deked out goalies for a few of those goals, people might've gotten excited.
    I think it's more about the fact you can't please an Ottawa fan, and even a happy Ottawa fan doesn't actually know how to cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    I have to disagree with the Kovalev comments. On most nights he is a passenger coasting through games. He is also on pace for about half as many points as the last two years so even though he is known to take nights off he is not performing up to expectations. So I disagree that he is giving exactly what was expected. I could put up with the coasting if the points were still coming. The puck came right to him with 4 seconds left last night and he wasn't even ready to take the shot.
    He's also a really streaky player though, so when you look at parts of a season you're not goint to get the whole picture. When we got him, I decided that rather than expect a top notch effort every night, I would accept the fact he would have crummy stretches, and would judge him based on the whole picture. As of yet, the season isn't over.

I do agree that it can be frustrating to watch him every night, especially when you're expecting him to do great things. You could tear your hair out. I prefer to look at the fact that, even when he's not putting in much effort, he manages to set up at least 2 prime scoring chances per game.

The points will come

He's also a really streaky player though, so when you look at parts of a season you're not goint to get the whole picture. When we got him, I decided that rather than expect a top notch effort every night, I would accept the fact he would have crummy stretches, and would judge him based on the whole picture. As of yet, the season isn't over.

I do agree that it can be frustrating to watch him every night, especially when you're expecting him to do great things. You could tear your hair out. I prefer to look at the fact that, even when he's not putting in much effort, he manages to set up at least 2 prime scoring chances per game.

The points will come
    Good points. It would probably help on all fronts if more of those set ups were put into the back of the net. I just wish he would shoot more.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    The second goal was a bit of cheese too... a hard shot/pass that would have been right on Foligno's tape (he'd have had an empty net if he was able to one time it), but it went off a defender's skate blade and in.

Quite possibly the most fortuitous hat trick of all time.

Geoff, just wait until you witness the ill-advised passes and glaring lack of hockey sense tomorrow morning. Spezza ain't got nutin' on me.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Geoff, just wait until you witness the ill-advised passes and glaring lack of hockey sense tomorrow morning. Spezza ain't got nutin' on me.
    Careful what you say. I hear that Murray lurks all the forums. Talk like that will get you an amateur tryout contract.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar

The points will come
    What? really its not over??? the way a few Leafs fans acted today I was sure it was!

I agree....he alongside Fisher has done alot for this team. he will get his points soon!

Its to bad about Spezza but maybe a time away might make him look at the game different and come back with a little more effort! The way he has played this year the Sens aren't really loosing much.

I think Spezza has had some sort of injury all season and he's been trying to play through it. Perhaps the knee injury will give the other injury the time it needs to properly heal.

Also, Spezza was markedly better in the first couple of months of the season, getting the puck deep and generally being more responsible. In the past couple of weeks though his penchant for the drop pass at the blue line and low percentage passes in general had crept back in to his game, perhaps he was becoming more concerned about his offensive production and therefore old habits came back.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I think Spezza has had some sort of injury all season and he's been trying to play through it. Perhaps the knee injury will give the other injury the time it needs to properly heal.

Also, Spezza was markedly better in the first couple of months of the season, getting the puck deep and generally being more responsible. In the past couple of weeks though his penchant for the drop pass at the blue line and low percentage passes in general had crept back in to his game, perhaps he was becoming more concerned about his offensive production and therefore old habits came back.
    Great points. They say they don't read the papers and listen to critics, etc. but I'm sure he hears the call for more offence from more than just the coaches. I too thought his back or other injury was still plaguing him lately.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

The points will come
    Wow, I can't believe that Sens fans are putting up with "streaky"! Kovalev has turned into the laziest player in the league. This guy has done nothing of consequence since he left the Rangers. He's as strong as an ox and has the hands of a magician. He can single handedly dominate a game, if he wants to. But that's a HUGE if.

He almost gets decapitated by Komisarek last night and what does he do? He slinks away and yells at him from the bench?? One of the most overrated $5M players ever. All he seems concerned with is getting back to Montreal and promoting his new DVD. I'm surprised that Sens fans aren't demanding more.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Wow, I can't believe that Sens fans are putting up with "streaky"! Kovalev has turned into the laziest player in the league. This guy has done nothing of consequence since he left the Rangers. He's as strong as an ox and has the hands of a magician. He can single handedly dominate a game, if he wants to. But that's a HUGE if.

He almost gets decapitated by Komisarek last night and what does he do? He slinks away and yells at him from the bench?? One of the most overrated $5M players ever. All he seems concerned with is getting back to Montreal and promoting his new DVD. I'm surprised that Sens fans aren't demanding more.
    Why should we demand more? Any city that Kovalev has played in has demanded more from him, and no one ever got it.

Careful what you say. I hear that Murray lurks all the forums. Talk like that will get you an amateur tryout contract.
    Flat-bottom V sharpening will be the difference maker!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Why should we demand more? Any city that Kovalev has played in has demanded more from him, and no one ever got it.
    You don't necessarily have to demand more from Kovalev. Murray signed him to that deal, knowing full well that he has a habit of showing up to play 1 out of every 5 games. That was a suspect signing from day one. If it were me, I'd be filling Eugene Melnyk's email box.

I sent a voluminous email to the Leafs front office 2 years ago letting them know, in no uncertain terms, that I was ** with the lack of effort being put into improving the team. Did my thoughts lead directly to changes in the way things are done there? Not likely. But now they know how I, and many others I'm sure, felt about it.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    You don't necessarily have to demand more from Kovalev. Murray signed him to that deal, knowing full well that he has a habit of showing up to play 1 out of every 5 games. That was a suspect signing from day one. If it were me, I'd be filling Eugene Melnyk's email box.

I sent a voluminous email to the Leafs front office 2 years ago letting them know, in no uncertain terms, that I was ** with the lack of effort being put into improving the team. Did my thoughts lead directly to changes in the way things are done there? Not likely. But now they know how I, and many others I'm sure, felt about it.
    yet they continue to sell out every game....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Sens should overcome the loss of Donovan, Leclaire, Spezza. If they dont, then that proves that the Sens dont have any depth. My beloved wings have lost the entire second line to injuries. franzen, filppula, williams, cleary, kronwall, ericsson, lilja, are/have been out for months! it's a miracle they're in a playoff spot with all the rookies and minor leaguers playing for them.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Thread Information