CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

2 sets of clubs in a travel bag?

I can put my wife and mines golf clubs in one travel bag. Continental airlines states that there can only be one set of golf clubs in a travel bag.
    Has anyone tried this and did the airline check or refused you do so?
    I do not want to lug 2 travel bags around.
    Bite, Bite!

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    There is also a weight restriction of 50 pounds. 2 sets of clubs, balls, shoes and a travel bag would likely bust that limit.

My travel bag, golf bag, clubs, 18 balls, and shoes comes in at around 43 pounds

good to know

Powerlefty.. good to know. I will weigh them tonight. We will see how much just the clubs and bag weight. I have a soft case so perhaps that will help
    Bite, Bite!

I also wanted to know if at check in if anyone had there golf travel bag inspected?
    Bite, Bite!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    I also wanted to know if at check in if anyone had there golf travel bag inspected?

A friend of mine has gone to Jamaica the last couple of years and has brought his clubs with him. He was told you can't put any type of lock on the travel case, so if need be, it can be inspected.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

7 Iron lovemygolf is on a distinguished road
    Flying to Nova Scotia this fall with my clubs I had my bag inspected and checked for explosives.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Unless you are travelling with two half sets of clubs I doubt you would fall under the weight limit.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Just went to Houston and they xray'd the golf bag with me standing there. Not allowed to leave until they finish. So, they will know it's two sets of clubs in the bag.

They may not count the total exactly however as I came back with three extra clubs with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Unless you are travelling with two half sets of clubs I doubt you would fall under the weight limit.
    My travel bag with my golf carry bag and some clothes put me over the weight restriction but Air Canada let me through with a warning.

As a side note, golf bags are treated as oversize luggage and usually arrives quicker than regular luggage on the carrousel. (5 out of 6 flights)

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I've flown with my clubs twice. Once out of Ottawa and once out of Montreal. In Montreal, as previously stated, they x-ray'd them while I waited. For sure they would notice 2 bags in your travel bag. In Ottawa, they opened the case and physically inspected them. You are not supposed to put anything "extra" in there either. They asked in Montreal if all I had was clubs, balls, tees...etc. "No extra clothing or shoes, right sir?"

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I've put extra balls (I think they say you can only bring a dozen on Air Canada, I can't recall) & shoes & my flip flops in there with no problems. I am careful to not go over the 50lbs, and I don't lock the case.
    Andrew

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I can put my wife and mines golf clubs in one travel bag. Continental airlines states that there can only be one set of golf clubs in a travel bag.
    Has anyone tried this and did the airline check or refused you do so?
    I do not want to lug 2 travel bags around.

I do it all the time.. never had an issue.. just keep it under the maximum allowance as suggested I think it's 50lbs
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Great to hear. I weighed my clubs and bag with no shoes or balls and was just over 19 lbs. My wife's set should be less as she only has 11 clubs. I think I should be under the weight limit as I am using a soft case.
    I am flying out of Syracuse, and hope it goes smoothly.
    Bite, Bite!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    The Xray is done by the security group and they don't care what's in it unless it's illegal. Once you are past the check-in counter, all is fair game.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    A friend of mine has gone to Jamaica the last couple of years and has brought his clubs with him. He was told you can't put any type of lock on the travel case, so if need be, it can be inspected.
    You can lock your bag. I do so all the time. If you travel through the US, they may cut the lock off if they select your bag for inspection. This applies to all luggage, not just golf clubs. If they do inspect it, they will place a note in the bag saying they did so. You can buy special locks - TSA is what they are called I think. They can either be keyed or combination and can be opend by the security staff with a master key so they will not cut them off.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    As a side note, golf bags are treated as oversize luggage and usually arrives quicker than regular luggage on the carrousel. (5 out of 6 flights)
    I agree, the golf bag usually does arrive quickly. Something to be wary of though... whether your golf bag arrives when you do depends a lot on the aircraft type and how many passengers are on board. Be especially careful when flying between Ottawa and Chicago and thence to other points in the US. Many of these flights use either Bombardier or Embraer regional jets. My experience with these type of flights is that you have a 50% chance that your luggage will arrive on time and when they are delayed, you may often wait for up to a day to get them. Not sure the reason why but I suspect it may be a weight issue and/or luggage capacity issue on these smaller regional jets.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Last year I flew to Phoenix from Syracuse with Continental. My bag was x-rayed and inspected in front of me. I don't know about any 2-sets rule. This year I flew from Ottawa with AC and they x-ray it while you stand waiting at the over-size booth.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    We are off the Scotland in August and I thought of taking 2 half sets in one container. I actually was going to make one using PVC pipe with the screw on ends---makes a very cheap hard sided case and very light.

I was also under the impression that there was NC for golf clubs by Air Canada if you were going to Scotland---has that changed ???
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty View Post
    I agree, the golf bag usually does arrive quickly. Something to be wary of though... whether your golf bag arrives when you do depends a lot on the aircraft type and how many passengers are on board. Be especially careful when flying between Ottawa and Chicago and thence to other points in the US. Many of these flights use either Bombardier or Embraer regional jets. My experience with these type of flights is that you have a 50% chance that your luggage will arrive on time and when they are delayed, you may often wait for up to a day to get them. Not sure the reason why but I suspect it may be a weight issue and/or luggage capacity issue on these smaller regional jets.
    I've flown Ottawa-Chicago-Tucson and Ottawa-Chicago-Houston, and Ottawa-Chicago-Las Vegas and haven't had any problems with my Golf bags arriving on time. I think the US Customs really want you to travel with your bags when you enter their country. I've had as short as a 15 minute tournaround (between de-planing and boarding) in Chicago and still had my clubs when I arrived. That was the best golf flight ever. Left Ottawa at 6AM(east) and was on the ground in Tucson at 9:30AM(pacific) - teeing off at 12:30.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Are you trying to put 2 golf sets with 2 golf bags in your travel bag?

A friend of mine put his and his wife's clubs in one bag and brought along a foldable sunday golf bag...easily fit in a travel bag and no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Are you trying to put 2 golf sets with 2 golf bags in your travel bag?

A friend of mine put his and his wife's clubs in one bag and brought along a foldable sunday golf bag...easily fit in a travel bag and no issues.

Yes I am trying to put to bags in one travel bag and it fits. They are both really light and slim Nike golf bags. Not quite a sunday bag though?

That is a great idea!,,Anyone have one for sale? or borrow?
    David
    Bite, Bite!

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    I travel with my clubs all the time. I would put all your clubs in, and as many other things (shoes, balls etc) as you can without exceeding the 50 pound limit. They won't count the clubs, but they will give you grief if you are over the limit. You may have to put some stuff in your regular luggage - like shoes, balls etc to keep under the weight limit.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Not quite a sunday bag though?

That is a great idea!,,Anyone have one for sale? or borrow?
    David
    Maybe these sunday bags(for sale) will do the trick...i have the Titleist sunday bag and it would work for sure since it folds nicely. The Ping Moon Lite might be ok too.

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=50050

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=49983

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Wow, I have taken the same flight (Ottawa-Chicago-Tucson) several times in the past and the earliest I have landed in Tucson was around 15:00 (What time of the year were you flying)

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I've flown Ottawa-Chicago-Tucson and Ottawa-Chicago-Houston, and Ottawa-Chicago-Las Vegas and haven't had any problems with my Golf bags arriving on time. I think the US Customs really want you to travel with your bags when you enter their country. I've had as short as a 15 minute tournaround (between de-planing and boarding) in Chicago and still had my clubs when I arrived. That was the best golf flight ever. Left Ottawa at 6AM(east) and was on the ground in Tucson at 9:30AM(pacific) - teeing off at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    Wow, I have taken the same flight (Ottawa-Chicago-Tucson) several times in the past and the earliest I have landed in Tucson was around 15:00 (What time of the year were you flying)
    It was a few years ago in early April. 2006, I believe. We flew American Airlines because of the quicker time, not the cheaper flight. We booked it through Expedia and got flight and 8 days hotel for about $1000/each.

Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    This off Expedia this morning for four people, Flight and Hotel $1411/eA for eight days at a great golf hotel. Flight leaves Ottawa at 6:55 and lands at 11:35 in Tucson. Which is a little later than what we had in the past but still time to get in an afternoon round. Ventana is a fantastic course!1

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
    Home to saguaro cacti, coyotes, and great horned owls, this 93-acre Loews resort is set in a pristine habitat where the Catalina foothills meet the great ... More lodging info

Book online or call 1-800-520-3364 to speak with an Expedia agent

Total: C$5642
    Tucson, AZ
    Superior 2 Doubles Limited View
    Check in: 01/04/10
    Check out: 09/04/10
    :HI(11605,5,0,7,-53120) align=middle>Traveler Opinion
    4.6 out of 5
    85+ reviews

Ottawa (YOW) to Tucson (TUS) Depart:01/04/10 6:55 AM - 11:35 AM American Airlines American Airlines
    Tucson (TUS) to Ottawa (YOW) Return:09/04/10 12:15 PM - 9:45 PM American Airlines American Airlines

Thread Information