CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

World Cup 2010...South Africa

A European country has never won the world cup played outside Europe. Will this be the year?

Will South Africa score a goal for the home fans?

Will the Americans make it out of the group stage?

Who's your favorite to win? Who you rootin for?

schedule here:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifa.../schedule.html

group stage doesn't look too exciting as i notice a lot of weak groups. i can't wait for the second round to start. I love my Spainiards but we'll be up against the group of death in the knockout stage. that means Brazil or Portugal. i hope its Brazil, to be the best you have to beat the best.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    You say the group stage doesn't look too exciting, but let's be honest, it never looks thrilling on paper. There's usually one strong team, a couple middle of the pack teams fighting for the second spot, and one pulling up the rear. But, it always manages to be compelling. A couple of nobody teams will make a run and make things interesting, and at least one big name team will be battling to the final whistle just to secure a playoff spot.

I'm rooting for England, as usual...don't expect them to win it, but stranger things have happened. Not sure who I would call the favourite. I think, at the top, it's really even this year. Nobody really stands out as a 'favourite' to me, though some would say Spain. Argentina looked weak in the qualifying, but if Messi and Tevez can find the magic that they demonstrate in EA Sports' Fifa 10, they could do something.

Don't count out the Cote D'Ivoire in the group of death...Drogba, Kalou, Eboué, the Tourés. It's called the group of death for a reason. It really is a 3 horse race.

The US should make it out, as Slovenia isn't particularly stiff competition, but I wouldn't expect any more than that.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    All those picking France, raise your hands!

+1 for England.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I'm sure the Americans would love to beat England! And the English will want to beat those insurgents. lol.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    People are pointing to the Brazil, Portugal, Cote d'Ivoire group as the hard one, and it is for sure, but there are a few other groups that will be sneaky tough.

Group D with Germany, Ghana, Australia and Serbia is one. The Australians won't be great, but they will fight very hard and Serbia and Ghana will both be good. A stellar midfielder can carry a team a long way by himself, and Ghana have that in Essien. This group is probably more even among the 4 teams than the group of death.

Group B with Argentina, Greece, Nigeria and South Korea will also be hard. I think South Korea is the weak one here, and Nigeria should go through with Argentina, but Greece play the type of game that can beat any team. Super boring to watch, but very effective and if things break well for them and they stay organized and compact, they could go on a bit of a run. Teams will have to guard against getting frustrated playing against them.

Group E is also tough with three solid teams in Holland, Cameroon and Denmark. Japan doesn't look to be much of a threat. Denmark is a bit like Greece in that they just get results even if the game isn't pretty. They topped a qualifying group over Portugal, Hungary and Sweden, no easy feat. Cameroon have Eto'o who is magnificent. The Dutch should win the group easily with their depth and talent, but they should have won 3 or 4 Cups by now going on the talent of their teams. They often find ways to lose spectacularly. I would feel a lot better about them, and I'm cheering for them, if van Persie recovers in time. Could be a really interesting group.

I hope players get carded for diving, or suspended after the game if there is video proof of it. If FIFA has video evidence that a player is faking an injury when there is video evidence to prove he was not touched, then they should suspend the player after the match. How many times have you seen a guy writhing in pain, both hands in his face, rolling like he's been shot, and then he pops back up as if the Lord miraculously healed him? Rinaldo took a harmless ball to his legs and dropped like a sack of potatoes holding his face. He later admitted "Obviously I exaggerated the incident for the guy to be sent off. " FIFA should have suspended him, they didnt, and so this behavior is tolerated. It's disgusting.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    +1 for England.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I don't really have much choice being a man of Albion!

It's always so frustrating being an Englishmen during the Football World Cup. We so desperately want to win and sort of think its our birthright (Like the Canadians at hockey) but unlike the Canadians at hockey we are never quite good enough or lucky enough (losing to Germany in the semis on penalties in 1990 is still so vivid).

However, we have got a good draw and under Capello look a lot better...maybe...just maybe....

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    As usual, rooting for the German squad led by two awesome Polish players. = ) They got a cakewalk group. And they have an emotional card too, their starting keeper committed suicide recently after battling clinical depression. Sad story. When it gets closer, someone post a poll so we can have it our predictions in a quick look.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Put me down for Italy, for no other reason than my neighbour's fantastic parties during the Italy games, that are so much better after an Italian win! However, if I had to make a more educated prediction (or was putting money on it), I would go with Argentina.

Odds To Win The World Cup:

• Spain - 9/2 (+450)
    • Brazil - 9/2 (+450)
    • England - 6/1 (+600)
    • Argentina - 8/1 (+8000)
    • Germany - 12/1 (+1200)
    • Italy - 14/1 (+1400)
    • Netherlands - 14/1 (+1400)
    • France - 14/1 (+1400)
    • Portugal - 14/1 (+1400)
    • Ivory Coast - 20/1 (+2000)
    • Chile - 40/1 (+4000)
    • Cameroon - 66/1 (+6600)
    • Paraguay - 66/1 (+6600)
    • Ghana - 66/1 (+6600)
    • Serbia - 66/1 (+6600)
    • Mexico - 80/1 (+8000)
    • USA - 80/1 (+8000)
    • Greece - 80/1 (+8000)
    • Uruguay - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Nigeria - 100/1 (+10000)
    • South Africa - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Australia - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Denmark - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Slovenia - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Switzerland - 150/1 (+15000)
    • Japan - 200/1 (+20000)
    • Slovakia - 250/1 (+25000)
    • South Korea - 250/1 (+25000)
    • Algeria - 250/1 (+25000)
    • New Zealand - 500/1 (+50000)
    • Honduras - 500/1 (+50000)
    • North Korea - 500/1 (+50000) All odds taken from Ladbrokes.com (11/24/2009)
    Pele picked Spain to win their first world championship. I'm afraid there's too much expectations for La Roja. They've only made it to the quarterfinals once or twice in their history. Now favorites to win it all? Euro championship is one thing, world cup is a totally different beast. They should be 14/1 odds, lower than Italy but above Holland. That's where England should be as well.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Pele picked Spain to win their first world championship. I'm afraid there's too much expectations for La Roja. They've only made it to the quarterfinals once or twice in their history. Now favorites to win it all? Euro championship is one thing, world cup is a totally different beast. They should be 14/1 odds, lower than Italy but above Holland. That's where England should be as well.
    Don't discount their European Championship, there is a much higher level of competition in that tournament than in the World Cup. Spain is loaded.

Odds To Win The World Cup:

I think you'll find many football pundits say the standard of play overall in the European Championship is higher than the World Cup...to win it is a huge achievement and Spain are a quality side.

Only France have ever managed to hold both at the same time

What I love about the World Cup is how close it is, so many teams have real chances of winning....If you look at that bookies list if any of the top 9 teams listed won it certainly wouldn't be a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    What I love about the World Cup is how close it is, so many teams have real chances of winning....If you look at that bookies list if any of the top 9 teams listed won it certainly wouldn't be a shock.
    i notice you stopped at 9. what, no love for Ivory Coast? lol
    You only get out of something what you put into it

i notice you stopped at 9. what, no love for Ivory Coast? lol

Yeahh.....no...

I WOULD be shocked if the Ivory Coast won...still love 'em though...lol

One very important thing to note...those odds were compiled BEFORE the draw. They would certainly be different now. No Way Portugal, Ivory Coast, and Brazil would all be ranked so high

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    One very important thing to note...those odds were compiled BEFORE the draw. They would certainly be different now. No Way Portugal, Ivory Coast, and Brazil would all be ranked so high
    Quite right mate, Odds as of right now courtesy of William Hill, the bookies of choice Portugal still ninth favourite but out to 28/1

Spain9/2 England5/1 Brazil11/2 Argentina9/1 Italy12/1 Germany12/1 Netherlands14/1 France14/1 Portugal28/1 Ivory Coast28/1 Chile40/1 Paraguay50/1 Ghana66/1 Serbia66/1 Cameroon80/1 Mexico80/1 Nigeria80/1 USA80/1 Uruguay100/1 South Africa125/1 Australia125/1 Denmark125/1 Greece150/1 Switzerland200/1 South Korea200/1 Slovenia200/1 Slovakia250/1 Japan250/1 Algeria250/1 Honduras750/1 New Zealand1000/1 North Korea2000/1

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I hope players get carded for diving, or suspended after the game if there is video proof of it. If FIFA has video evidence that a player is faking an injury when there is video evidence to prove he was not touched, then they should suspend the player after the match. How many times have you seen a guy writhing in pain, both hands in his face, rolling like he's been shot, and then he pops back up as if the Lord miraculously healed him? Rinaldo took a harmless ball to his legs and dropped like a sack of potatoes holding his face. He later admitted "Obviously I exaggerated the incident for the guy to be sent off. " FIFA should have suspended him, they didnt, and so this behavior is tolerated. It's disgusting.
    Umm there was irrefutable video evidence of a blatant double hand-ball that got France into the World cup that FIFA choose to turn a blind eye to so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to hand out red cards for diving after the fact.

BTW I'm +1 for France, when you have the "Boss" on your side how can you lose

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I think its a little less clear cut this time around ,for sure Spain should be favorites , a strong side and now proven winners, but will they go all the way this time .... i say no.
    England also looking good , but under more pressure than any other team in the world to win the world cup , my personal favorites to win , but i'm wishing more than i'm expecting.
    Brazil , always thrive in this competition , will be in the final 4 for sure ,but may not have the depth this time around .
    Argentina , my pick as the dark horse , i wouldn't be surprised if they won it
    Holland , will probably self implode as per usual , but i'd love to see them make really strong run.
    Germany , Italy , and Portugal again have good teams but are powered by brilliant individuals , but not enough of them ,i don't see any of them winning this.
    France , cheaters , shouldn't be there but will probably be in the last stages , imagine if they won
    I think its between these countrys and i'll go out on a limb (a very short one)and say that ENGLAND will win .
    But one things for sure , it will be brilliant entertainment , with a little controversy thrown in there somewhere .

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE ARE MY OPINIONS AND MEAN ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO NO ONE BUT ME , AND OF COURSE I'LL PROBABLY GET EVERY ONE WRONG AND NEW ZEALAND WILL WIN THE WORLD CUP AT WHICH POINT I WILL PROBABLY LOOK INTO TAKING UP SEWING AS A PAST TIME.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

France are no more cheaters than any other team in the world. Almost every pro soccer player is a cheat....diving all over the place, faking injuries. What's sad is that there is more outrage over 1 handball than there is over the diving epidemic that is really destroying the game. I just hope that the younger footballers out there take their cues from Messi, and learn that you can be the best without diving, by simply fighting through tackles and earning your position through effort, not theatrics.

What I do not comprehend is all the refs out there who will watch a player dive to the ground and flail their arms around asking for a penalty, then writhe around in mock pain. The ref will look at them, wave play on (acknowledging no foul has occurred) but will NEVER show them a card. If I was reffing a soccer game, the pitch would be empty by the end, due to all the cards handed out for diving. One or two games like that and the players might start to get the message.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    The refs are stepping up the cards on players faking injuries or fouls , at least in the Premiership anyways , but it needs to be harsher penalties for such actions , 5 game suspension etc. Then those cheating ,after feeling the wrath of their managers and fans for a bit ,will think twice about diving.
    I know the rules aren't there to support these suspensions , but i think more importantly, and i'm sure most will agree , that video replay is now badly needed in this game. They did look at extra officials , but that was over before it even got discussed.
    Everyone says that replays will slow the game down , but lets be honest , by how much , an extra 10 mins , maybe 15 on a bad day , as long as they don't go to commercial break too often ,we'll be fine.
    I'm all for punishing the cheats and letting the games be decided fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Brazil , always thrive in this competition , will be in the final 4 for sure ,but may not have the depth this time around .
    Argentina , my pick as the dark horse , i wouldn't be surprised if they won it
    i haven't watch south american football this year, but from what i understand Argentina almost didn't qualify for the world cup. They had to win their last game to qualify, while Brazil breezed through their group. Maradona might not be the best person to coach Argentina. sniff sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    The refs are stepping up the cards on players faking injuries or fouls , at least in the Premiership anyways , but it needs to be harsher penalties for such actions , 5 game suspension etc. Then those cheating ,after feeling the wrath of their managers and fans for a bit ,will think twice about diving.
    I know the rules aren't there to support these suspensions , but i think more importantly, and i'm sure most will agree , that video replay is now badly needed in this game. They did look at extra officials , but that was over before it even got discussed.
    Everyone says that replays will slow the game down , but lets be honest , by how much , an extra 10 mins , maybe 15 on a bad day , as long as they don't go to commercial break too often ,we'll be fine.
    I'm all for punishing the cheats and letting the games be decided fairly.

With all due respect though, the 'increase' in cards in the Premiership is tiny. You're lucky to see 1 card per game, while you're certain to see at least 10 cards, and about the same number of faked injuries.

I'd like to see them changing the rules for 'injured' players. Currently the rule is that you have to wait for the ref to wave you pack on to the pitch, if the training staff have to come out. They need to change this so that, if the training staff come out, then you have to spend 5 minutes on the sidelines, regardless of your condition.

I agree they need replay, but the difficult thing will be when and where to use it. As far as I'm concerned, an extra 10 to 15 minutes per game is WAY too much. Like hockey, i think the replay needs to be used only in the most extreme circumstances. Honestly, I think if you get farther than determining whether a ball crossed the goal line, you're going to run into trouble.

When you think about it, none of the sports who use replay successfully EVER use it to determine whether a foul was committed, simply because if that occurred, every play would be subject to reviews. Ultimately, refs are going to make mistakes, and you just have to live with it.

1 Iron kekchose12 is on a distinguished road
    Did not see an english version, but this is very cool.
    http://www.sports.fr/coupe-du-monde-...simulator.html

My quarter finals:
    France-England
    Holland-Brazil
    Argentina-Germany
    Italy-Spain

Can't wait.

Very cool Thanks!

[QUOTE=jonf;339132]

I agree they need replay, but the difficult thing will be when and where to use it. As far as I'm concerned, an extra 10 to 15 minutes per game is WAY too much. Like hockey, i think the replay needs to be used only in the most extreme circumstances. Honestly, I think if you get farther than determining whether a ball crossed the goal line, you're going to run into trouble.

QUOTE]

I totally agree with what your saying , i think the replays should be limited to help with goal mouth incidents , like hand ball , penalty claims etc . and should have a limit as to how many times a team can challenge the refs decision.
    Ultimately the refs decision is final , but if he didn't see it or was obstructed in his view then thats where it has its place.(Ireland vs France obvious example)
    And as far as the cheaters and divers are concerned , a review panel can decide after the game as to the appropriate supensions to those abusing the game.It works fine in the NHL , unless your name is Ovechkin , Malkin or Crosby

Anyway back on topic , England for the win , Rooney top scorer

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Have to also be cheering for the Brits, mainly because of all the exposure via The Premier League games.

But many good teams to throw my "Valued" support behind.

Man, this is really going to hurt my golfing season.
    TSN is showing every game and all on HD.

H'mmm, more joys of being retired.

I totally agree with what your saying , i think the replays should be limited to help with goal mouth incidents , like hand ball , penalty claims etc . and should have a limit as to how many times a team can challenge the refs decision.
    Ultimately the refs decision is final , but if he didn't see it or was obstructed in his view then thats where it has its place.
    i prefer to keep replay away from soccer. i dont want the game to stop for any reason. bad calls are part of the game imo. how about 2 refs, 1 for each half of the field like they do in hockey?

[QUOTE=Wilster;339217]
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post

QUOTE]

Ultimately the refs decision is final , but if he didn't see it or was obstructed in his view then thats where it has its place.(Ireland vs France obvious example)
    And as far as the cheaters and divers are concerned , a review panel can decide after the game as to the appropriate supensions to those abusing the game.It works fine in the NHL , unless your name is Ovechkin , Malkin or Crosby

Anyway back on topic , England for the win , Rooney top scorer
    The problem is that those types of review panels already exist. The rules etc are in place to deal with diving, but nobody within soccer has any actual desire to fix the problem.

Thread Information