100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

World Cup 2010...South Africa

A European country has never won the world cup played outside Europe. Will this be the year?

Will South Africa score a goal for the home fans?

Will the Americans make it out of the group stage?

Who's your favorite to win? Who you rootin for?

schedule here:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifa.../schedule.html

group stage doesn't look too exciting as i notice a lot of weak groups. i can't wait for the second round to start. I love my Spainiards but we'll be up against the group of death in the knockout stage. that means Brazil or Portugal. i hope its Brazil, to be the best you have to beat the best.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    You say the group stage doesn't look too exciting, but let's be honest, it never looks thrilling on paper. There's usually one strong team, a couple middle of the pack teams fighting for the second spot, and one pulling up the rear. But, it always manages to be compelling. A couple of nobody teams will make a run and make things interesting, and at least one big name team will be battling to the final whistle just to secure a playoff spot.

I'm rooting for England, as usual...don't expect them to win it, but stranger things have happened. Not sure who I would call the favourite. I think, at the top, it's really even this year. Nobody really stands out as a 'favourite' to me, though some would say Spain. Argentina looked weak in the qualifying, but if Messi and Tevez can find the magic that they demonstrate in EA Sports' Fifa 10, they could do something.

Don't count out the Cote D'Ivoire in the group of death...Drogba, Kalou, Eboué, the Tourés. It's called the group of death for a reason. It really is a 3 horse race.

The US should make it out, as Slovenia isn't particularly stiff competition, but I wouldn't expect any more than that.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    All those picking France, raise your hands!

+1 for England.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

I'm sure the Americans would love to beat England! And the English will want to beat those insurgents. lol.

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I'm sure the Americans would love to beat England! And the English will want to beat those insurgents. lol.
    Guess who's the referee? Carly Simon? Sorry Yankees, no such luck.

Its Carlos Simon!

The referee chosen for the Group C match between England and USA - Brazilian official Carlos Simon - was suspended for the final month of the domestic season by the Brazilian FA last season after making a number of errors.

In 2009, club side Flamengo wrote to FIFA demanding Simon not be put forward for the World Cup after he sent off one of their players for diving. They said that he was guilty of "unambiguously inconsistent, unfair and inequitable technical performances".
    The president of Palmeiras subsequently described Simon as "a crook, a scoundrel and a shameless *** ... if I met him in the street, I would slap him. He should be driven out of football."
    Simon is one of the most experienced FIFA officials and refereed at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups. In the last tournament he was criticised for allegedly grinning when he sent off Sweden's Teddy Lucic against hosts Germany.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us

Stay tuned!
    Golf is the Total System Integration of............The Sum of All Parts............

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    People are pointing to the Brazil, Portugal, Cote d'Ivoire group as the hard one, and it is for sure, but there are a few other groups that will be sneaky tough.

Group D with Germany, Ghana, Australia and Serbia is one. The Australians won't be great, but they will fight very hard and Serbia and Ghana will both be good. A stellar midfielder can carry a team a long way by himself, and Ghana have that in Essien. This group is probably more even among the 4 teams than the group of death.

Group B with Argentina, Greece, Nigeria and South Korea will also be hard. I think South Korea is the weak one here, and Nigeria should go through with Argentina, but Greece play the type of game that can beat any team. Super boring to watch, but very effective and if things break well for them and they stay organized and compact, they could go on a bit of a run. Teams will have to guard against getting frustrated playing against them.

Group E is also tough with three solid teams in Holland, Cameroon and Denmark. Japan doesn't look to be much of a threat. Denmark is a bit like Greece in that they just get results even if the game isn't pretty. They topped a qualifying group over Portugal, Hungary and Sweden, no easy feat. Cameroon have Eto'o who is magnificent. The Dutch should win the group easily with their depth and talent, but they should have won 3 or 4 Cups by now going on the talent of their teams. They often find ways to lose spectacularly. I would feel a lot better about them, and I'm cheering for them, if van Persie recovers in time. Could be a really interesting group.

I hope players get carded for diving, or suspended after the game if there is video proof of it. If FIFA has video evidence that a player is faking an injury when there is video evidence to prove he was not touched, then they should suspend the player after the match. How many times have you seen a guy writhing in pain, both hands in his face, rolling like he's been shot, and then he pops back up as if the Lord miraculously healed him? Rinaldo took a harmless ball to his legs and dropped like a sack of potatoes holding his face. He later admitted "Obviously I exaggerated the incident for the guy to be sent off. " FIFA should have suspended him, they didnt, and so this behavior is tolerated. It's disgusting.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I hope players get carded for diving, or suspended after the game if there is video proof of it. If FIFA has video evidence that a player is faking an injury when there is video evidence to prove he was not touched, then they should suspend the player after the match. How many times have you seen a guy writhing in pain, both hands in his face, rolling like he's been shot, and then he pops back up as if the Lord miraculously healed him? Rinaldo took a harmless ball to his legs and dropped like a sack of potatoes holding his face. He later admitted "Obviously I exaggerated the incident for the guy to be sent off. " FIFA should have suspended him, they didnt, and so this behavior is tolerated. It's disgusting.
    Umm there was irrefutable video evidence of a blatant double hand-ball that got France into the World cup that FIFA choose to turn a blind eye to so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to hand out red cards for diving after the fact.

BTW I'm +1 for France, when you have the "Boss" on your side how can you lose

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    You mean Rivaldo. Diving is not only the domain of South American Players, European players (NHL players too) have known to dive. To wit Rooney ('felled' by Campbell) & Gerrard besides 'tippy toes' Cristiano Ronaldo too but then FA referees, for one reason or another, 'felled' for their 'duplicity' easily.

Will we see 2010 WC referees being 'conned'? Stay tuned!
    Golf is the Total System Integration of............The Sum of All Parts............

Weren't you calling for the exact same thing earlier in the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Weren't you calling for the exact same thing earlier in the thread?
    yes until i got informed. when the Blatter guy said he wasn't implementing video cameras for goals after the Eng-Germany game, i thought to myself he's an idiot. but then i understood 'why' it's not possible. how can rich countries have video review and poor countries not? how can rich tournaments have yellow cards for divers after the game is over and not the poor tournaments? it would just create different rules for different countries/tournaments.

FIFA doesn't need to change anything about football and it will still be the #1 sport on the planet. I've accepted that football today is as good as it's ever going to get.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    yes until i got informed. when the Blatter guy said he wasn't implementing video cameras for goals after the Eng-Germany game, i thought to myself he's an idiot. but then i understood 'why' it's not possible. how can rich countries have video review and poor countries not? how can rich tournaments have yellow cards for divers after the game is over and not the poor tournaments? it would just create different rules for different countries/tournaments.

FIFA doesn't need to change anything about football and it will still be the #1 sport on the planet. I've accepted that football today is as good as it's ever going to get.
    Sepp? Is that you?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar

There are so many ways in which it can be improved , i'll give you a simple example.
    I played soccer when i worked in Denmark , one of their local rules was that if you comitted a bookable offence , not only did you get a card but you sat out the next ten minutes on the bench , trust me it made you think twice about comitting a needless foul , and besides the coaches were Pi##ed at you. (yes its just like hockey)
    The chances are that this will never be implemented into world soccer , but it was fun and made the game more exciting for the most part.
    Once Mr. Blatter steps aside (hopefully soon) i think you'll see video replay eeking its way into the major competitions , and that's where it should only be used. When decisions affect the outcome of games.
    With this world cup over and the sport becoming even more publicised the governing bodies can't afford for any more high profile gaffs , or they'll make the sport look laughable compared to others.
    I'm all for the fair play , and i'd love , even if i'm only dreaming, for the players to start playing fair. I still have hope
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

All I can do is shake my head at this. That's about the tiest attitude I've every heard. Football is arguably at one of its lowest points for the last 20-30 years, and you think it's as good as its going to get? Sad. If you think this is as good as its going to get, I don't see why you even bother watching.

In response to some of your other comments:

Firstly, Sepp Blatter's "it wouldn't be fair to poorer countries" reasoning is total bull - its a pure excuse for covering up his failures. There is no logical reason that a tournament as rich in sponsorship money as the World Cup should limit itself simply because smaller organizations can't afford the same technology. I don't hear any uproar because the NHL gets replay while the local peewee team has to put up with high school kids for refs. Do we limit our medical care to leeches simply because other countries can't afford MRI's? No. Would it be great if everyone could have the best ref, the best technology etc for everything? Of course. But for Blatter to pretend that all is equal in the football world, and it must stay that way, is complete bollocks. Inequalities exist. That doesn't mean those with the potential to advance should hold themselves back.

Secondly. Diving is a shameful reality that currently runs rampant in the game. If you want to pretend its not there, that's your prerogative. But it won't get better as long as you do. As you said, Messi is fairly good about not diving. I've spoken in the past about how I'm impressed with how he fights through his tackles when playing for Barcelona....and he dominates completely. At the World Cup he was going down a lot more easily than he does when he's playing club football. He was much quicker to hit the turf. Its no surprise to me that he was less effective when playing divey football in the World Cup than when fighting through tackles for Barca.

And as for video replay - they key is to use it wisely. Using it for offsides will never work, as you can only call it one way. The way offsides are called, a play is whistled down when the refs deem it offside. If they get that call wrong, they cannot reverse it, as the whistle has gone. For that reason, you can't implement replay on plays where they fail to call it. It would put the defending team at a distinct advantage, because only the errors that hurt them could be reversed. This is poorly worded, but because of the nature of the game, there is no appropriate remedy if a player is wrongly called offside. If they were to provide a remedy when a player is wrongly called onside (ie reversing the Tevez goal), you would be creating an imbalance in the way the game is called, that would wrongly benefit teams who play very defensively, and trap aggresively.

Likewsie, replay for every tackle is unrealistic. There will always be errors from referees, as there are in any sport. It's a reality of competition, and helps make it interesting. However, there is absolutely no reason not to bring in goal line technology. Teams play 90 minutes, and can sometimes be lucky to get one decent chance on goal. To have a legitimate goal missed when technology clearly (and quickly) demonstrates a goal is scored, is beyond reason. There is no good reason not to implement some form of goal line technology to ensure that the one call that matters most is made correctly every time.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    All I can do is shake my head at this. That's about the tiest attitude I've every heard. Football is arguably at one of its lowest points for the last 20-30 years, and you think it's as good as its going to get? Sad. If you think this is as good as its going to get, I don't see why you even bother watching.
    I don't see why YOU even bother watching if it's so bad. Change the channel. How do you know it's at the lowest point? You weren't alive to watch the other eras of football. I bet you haven't seen any game prior to 1990.

Secondly. Diving is a shameful reality that currently runs rampant in the game. If you want to pretend its not there,

is that what I said? i don't think so.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    +1 for England.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I don't really have much choice being a man of Albion!

It's always so frustrating being an Englishmen during the Football World Cup. We so desperately want to win and sort of think its our birthright (Like the Canadians at hockey) but unlike the Canadians at hockey we are never quite good enough or lucky enough (losing to Germany in the semis on penalties in 1990 is still so vivid).

However, we have got a good draw and under Capello look a lot better...maybe...just maybe....

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    As usual, rooting for the German squad led by two awesome Polish players. = ) They got a cakewalk group. And they have an emotional card too, their starting keeper committed suicide recently after battling clinical depression. Sad story. When it gets closer, someone post a poll so we can have it our predictions in a quick look.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Put me down for Italy, for no other reason than my neighbour's fantastic parties during the Italy games, that are so much better after an Italian win! However, if I had to make a more educated prediction (or was putting money on it), I would go with Argentina.

Odds To Win The World Cup:

• Spain - 9/2 (+450)
    • Brazil - 9/2 (+450)
    • England - 6/1 (+600)
    • Argentina - 8/1 (+8000)
    • Germany - 12/1 (+1200)
    • Italy - 14/1 (+1400)
    • Netherlands - 14/1 (+1400)
    • France - 14/1 (+1400)
    • Portugal - 14/1 (+1400)
    • Ivory Coast - 20/1 (+2000)
    • Chile - 40/1 (+4000)
    • Cameroon - 66/1 (+6600)
    • Paraguay - 66/1 (+6600)
    • Ghana - 66/1 (+6600)
    • Serbia - 66/1 (+6600)
    • Mexico - 80/1 (+8000)
    • USA - 80/1 (+8000)
    • Greece - 80/1 (+8000)
    • Uruguay - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Nigeria - 100/1 (+10000)
    • South Africa - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Australia - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Denmark - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Slovenia - 100/1 (+10000)
    • Switzerland - 150/1 (+15000)
    • Japan - 200/1 (+20000)
    • Slovakia - 250/1 (+25000)
    • South Korea - 250/1 (+25000)
    • Algeria - 250/1 (+25000)
    • New Zealand - 500/1 (+50000)
    • Honduras - 500/1 (+50000)
    • North Korea - 500/1 (+50000) All odds taken from Ladbrokes.com (11/24/2009)
    Pele picked Spain to win their first world championship. I'm afraid there's too much expectations for La Roja. They've only made it to the quarterfinals once or twice in their history. Now favorites to win it all? Euro championship is one thing, world cup is a totally different beast. They should be 14/1 odds, lower than Italy but above Holland. That's where England should be as well.

Pele picked Spain to win their first world championship. I'm afraid there's too much expectations for La Roja. They've only made it to the quarterfinals once or twice in their history. Now favorites to win it all? Euro championship is one thing, world cup is a totally different beast. They should be 14/1 odds, lower than Italy but above Holland. That's where England should be as well.
    Don't discount their European Championship, there is a much higher level of competition in that tournament than in the World Cup. Spain is loaded.

Odds To Win The World Cup:

I think you'll find many football pundits say the standard of play overall in the European Championship is higher than the World Cup...to win it is a huge achievement and Spain are a quality side.

Only France have ever managed to hold both at the same time

What I love about the World Cup is how close it is, so many teams have real chances of winning....If you look at that bookies list if any of the top 9 teams listed won it certainly wouldn't be a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    What I love about the World Cup is how close it is, so many teams have real chances of winning....If you look at that bookies list if any of the top 9 teams listed won it certainly wouldn't be a shock.
    i notice you stopped at 9. what, no love for Ivory Coast? lol

i notice you stopped at 9. what, no love for Ivory Coast? lol

Yeahh.....no...

I WOULD be shocked if the Ivory Coast won...still love 'em though...lol

One very important thing to note...those odds were compiled BEFORE the draw. They would certainly be different now. No Way Portugal, Ivory Coast, and Brazil would all be ranked so high

One very important thing to note...those odds were compiled BEFORE the draw. They would certainly be different now. No Way Portugal, Ivory Coast, and Brazil would all be ranked so high
    Quite right mate, Odds as of right now courtesy of William Hill, the bookies of choice Portugal still ninth favourite but out to 28/1

Spain9/2 England5/1 Brazil11/2 Argentina9/1 Italy12/1 Germany12/1 Netherlands14/1 France14/1 Portugal28/1 Ivory Coast28/1 Chile40/1 Paraguay50/1 Ghana66/1 Serbia66/1 Cameroon80/1 Mexico80/1 Nigeria80/1 USA80/1 Uruguay100/1 South Africa125/1 Australia125/1 Denmark125/1 Greece150/1 Switzerland200/1 South Korea200/1 Slovenia200/1 Slovakia250/1 Japan250/1 Algeria250/1 Honduras750/1 New Zealand1000/1 North Korea2000/1

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I think its a little less clear cut this time around ,for sure Spain should be favorites , a strong side and now proven winners, but will they go all the way this time .... i say no.
    England also looking good , but under more pressure than any other team in the world to win the world cup , my personal favorites to win , but i'm wishing more than i'm expecting.
    Brazil , always thrive in this competition , will be in the final 4 for sure ,but may not have the depth this time around .
    Argentina , my pick as the dark horse , i wouldn't be surprised if they won it
    Holland , will probably self implode as per usual , but i'd love to see them make really strong run.
    Germany , Italy , and Portugal again have good teams but are powered by brilliant individuals , but not enough of them ,i don't see any of them winning this.
    France , cheaters , shouldn't be there but will probably be in the last stages , imagine if they won
    I think its between these countrys and i'll go out on a limb (a very short one)and say that ENGLAND will win .
    But one things for sure , it will be brilliant entertainment , with a little controversy thrown in there somewhere .

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE ARE MY OPINIONS AND MEAN ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO NO ONE BUT ME , AND OF COURSE I'LL PROBABLY GET EVERY ONE WRONG AND NEW ZEALAND WILL WIN THE WORLD CUP AT WHICH POINT I WILL PROBABLY LOOK INTO TAKING UP SEWING AS A PAST TIME.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Brazil , always thrive in this competition , will be in the final 4 for sure ,but may not have the depth this time around .
    Argentina , my pick as the dark horse , i wouldn't be surprised if they won it
    i haven't watch south american football this year, but from what i understand Argentina almost didn't qualify for the world cup. They had to win their last game to qualify, while Brazil breezed through their group. Maradona might not be the best person to coach Argentina. sniff sniff.

France are no more cheaters than any other team in the world. Almost every pro soccer player is a cheat....diving all over the place, faking injuries. What's sad is that there is more outrage over 1 handball than there is over the diving epidemic that is really destroying the game. I just hope that the younger footballers out there take their cues from Messi, and learn that you can be the best without diving, by simply fighting through tackles and earning your position through effort, not theatrics.

What I do not comprehend is all the refs out there who will watch a player dive to the ground and flail their arms around asking for a penalty, then writhe around in mock pain. The ref will look at them, wave play on (acknowledging no foul has occurred) but will NEVER show them a card. If I was reffing a soccer game, the pitch would be empty by the end, due to all the cards handed out for diving. One or two games like that and the players might start to get the message.

Thread Information