100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ebay and fakes

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

ebay and fakes

this is the exchange i had with an ebay store via email

==================

Hello, I am interested in these clubs but first I wanted to know the serial numbers on the clubs so i can call Callaway and confirm that they are authentic. Thank you.

==================

14000+ positive is not enough ?
    NJGolfman.com

==================

I dont believe a $900 club selling for $499 is real without a serial number. You are in this business so you should know that Ebay is full of knockoffs. If you want to earn my business get me a serial number.

==================

I'm an authorized Callway dealer with 2 golf stores. I don't have to prove anything.
    NJGolfman.com

==================

end of emails.

Of course I'm not going to bid on these clubs. But do you think they're fake and that's the reason he wont give me a serial number? Or is this guy just lazy. $500 for x-forged clubs brand new is hard to believe.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    NJGolfman sponsors Golfwrx.com

I highly doubt they are fakes.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    NJGolfman sponsors Golfwrx.com

I highly doubt they are fakes.
    if you were interested in this particular set of clubs, would you jump on this deal? Golftown sells these clubs for $1099 + taxes = $1200

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    yes I would - though I don't buy anything new these days. Let's put it this way, he has 14000 sales, sponsor's golfwrx.com - one of the premier golf forums in the US. He would be insane to sell fakes - and if he did by mistake, I am sure he would right a wrong.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showforum=248

There are some awesome deals on the golfwrx.com site. I see mint irons, you name it going for half of what they sell here all the time. Lots of good private sales on there and highly trustworthy, I have seen a few deals gone bad and those people are tarred and feathered. I have done lots of purchases off there.

Factor in shipping, taxes, exchange and make sure they are sent USPS otherwise you will be hosed for brokerage fees. Just make sure the deal is worth it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

thanks Jeff. And here's the rest of the emails with this guy:

==================

I'm an authorized Callway dealer with 2 golf stores. I don't have to prove anything.
    NJGolfman.com

==================

You've proven that your customer service sucks and you don't know how to spell CALLAWAY. Congradulations.

==================

You don't know how to spell congratulations
    NJGolfman.com

==================

sadly, i dont.

==================

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    ==================

You don't know how to spell congratulations
    NJGolfman.com

==================

sadly, i dont.
    ==================

[/QUOTE]

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    If the picture is of the actual clubs offered, then they are not "new". They have scratches from being hit at least on a mat. They look like demos to me. Should not be sold as new.
    i saw that too. but i thought it was the plastic covering that reflected the light that way.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I just took another look and removed my post (while you wrote yours lol). They may have been hit with the plastic on, in which case I suppose they could be offered as new. My bad.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

$499 is his opening minimum bid, not a "Buy it Now". This is a clearance item. $499 was probably his cost(ish) and anything above that is gravy at this time of the season.

I agree it's odd that he was rude instead of giving you the Serial numbers considering the issues on ebay. The numbers should be in the ad to save the seller from constant questions from informed buyers.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    It should not have offended him to be asked, regardless of his feedback. It's called customer service.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

3 Wood willylax is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't buy from him on principle alone...

Seems like a complete jackass to me, I would rather support someone in Canada and check out the golftown sale this weekend. BUT IF YOU DO BUY, ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU GET AMERICANS TO SEND THROUGH USPS ONLY!

My two cents,

Mike

No need to shout.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Of course I'm not going to bid on these clubs. But do you think they're fake and that's the reason he wont give me a serial number? Or is this guy just lazy. $500 for x-forged clubs brand new is hard to believe.
    Not all clubs have serial numbers, and the presence of a serial number - even a genuine serial number - does not prove the club's authenticity.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/Global/e...vice/FAQs.html

Although the seller is rude, he is not wrong. You seem to be fairly new to Ebay, or you would recognize that the high STARTING bid and the lack of a Buy-It-Now option are indications that these are likely NOT fakes. Plus there is the 16,000+ positive feedback rating and the fact that the seller has been an Ebay retailer since 2003.

Your best defense against counterfeit clubs is always to investigate the seller. Scammers always want to get their money fast, and they never last long with the same Ebay ID.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar

I wouldn't buy them

I don't care what he "sponsors" or how much positive ebay feedback he has, a polite answer to a reasonable question would be the least I would expect in the way of customer service.

Sounds like a bit of a tosser to me

Finally he gives me a serial number.

"The serial number for these irons is 6520127046 PT. The reason they are so cheap is because we are in the dead season for golf and nobody is spending money on golf equipment. This is the last set we have and we are just trying to dump them on ebay to get some money back. They are brand new and I guarantee you they authentic. "

The funny part about all of this is that i prefer a regular flex, and not a stiif. So i'll probably pass on this set. lol.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    why couldn't he have just sent that email originally?

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    why couldn't he have just sent that email originally?
    different guy answering the email it seems. Steve was the guy who was answering my emails at first but was not helpful. the last email was answered by Billy.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    That's a great set for a really good price, but the fact that you went through all of that trouble when you had no intention of buying them to me is just childish. IMO the way you asked for the serial number was very confrontational and opened the door to this kind of back and forth dialog. If your not interested in something then don't waste the sellers times asking questions that require his/her time, that goes for ebay and here as well.

My 2 cents.

alejgonz
    interesting thread

As a general info, PING has a counterfeit list in their website: http://www.ping.com/clubs/counterfeits.aspx

Just in case you "bump" into another GREAT DEAL!!

I look forward to GolfTown this weekend :o

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I agree with dleber.... The whole request was confrontational from the get-go... particulaly considering this is a well known retailer with 14,000+ positive feedbacks.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    That's a great set for a really good price, but the fact that you went through all of that trouble when you had no intention of buying them to me is just childish. IMO the way you asked for the serial number was very confrontational and opened the door to this kind of back and forth dialog. If your not interested in something then don't waste the sellers times asking questions that require his/her time, that goes for ebay and here as well.

My 2 cents.
    i have gone back and forth on this set in my mind, and i decided to buy this set. as long as someone else doesn't outbid me. $499 + shipping, and not a penny more! ok customs/duty and exchange rate of the day. but that's it!

i have gone back and forth on this set in my mind, and i decided to buy this set. as long as someone else doesn't outbid me. $499 + shipping, and not a penny more! ok customs/duty and exchange rate of the day. but that's it!
    You just redeemed yourself
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Shipping is $40.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I agree with dleber.... The whole request was confrontational from the get-go... particulaly considering this is a well known retailer with 14,000+ positive feedbacks.
    Doesn't matter who it is, a customer has the right to ask. His response was ridonk.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Shipping is $40.
    i know.

right now i'm sweating bullets. 0 bids and 12 minutes left. i'm salivating for these clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Doesn't matter who it is, a customer has the right to ask. His response was ridonk.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

i won. ya!!!!!!!

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    Congrats...but if you ever look to buy another set; only Ping serial numbers their clubs and when you contact Ping you can find out if the set someone is selling matches to Pings original records. EX: Seller has a set of G10 5-UW Brown dot, but when you call Ping they have a Ping G10 Driver that corresponds to the serial number. Callaway, Taylormade, Mizuno etc will have serial numbers but won't have records to tell you anything.

Just my two cents but info anyone can use!

Quote Originally Posted by calleygolf View Post
    Congrats...but if you ever look to buy another set; only Ping serial numbers their clubs and when you contact Ping you can find out if the set someone is selling matches to Pings original records. EX: Seller has a set of G10 5-UW Brown dot, but when you call Ping they have a Ping G10 Driver that corresponds to the serial number. Callaway, Taylormade, Mizuno etc will have serial numbers but won't have records to tell you anything.

Just my two cents but info anyone can use!
    it's true. the callaway rep i spoke to said that the serial number was legit but she couldn't guarantee that it wasn't fake. i'll have to take the clubs to a pro when i get them.

every time i buy a club i want to make sure its the real deal; because
    a) i want to be playing with the real deal; and
    b) in case i want to sell it and the buyer asks if its real.

I just got my FT-9 driver which i bought off ebay, serial number checks out with Callaway, now what do i do? Do i bring it to golftown so they can have a pro validate it's authenticity? any callaway experts in Ottawa?

also, what's the point of registering a club on mycallaway.com ? would that be the same as calling callaway to confirm the serial number is matching my club?

thnx.

Thread Information