CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stiff Shafts

Sand Wedge McCarlie is on a distinguished road McCarlie's Avatar

Stiff Shafts

I have been told lately that my driver swing speed is around the 125mph range, and an approximate average distance around 285, and I am using a R-80 OEM shaft from taylor made. The shaft just doesn't seem to be cutting it for me anymore, I need to go stiffer (Stiff or X-stiff, I really have no idea ). I was just wondering what others people were using. The truth is I just got back into golf this year, and I am not familiar with all this new equipment, and just wondering what the best shaft would be for my swing. Also my current shaft has a .350" tip, does the next shaft I want to put in have to be .350" or can it be .335 tip"?

Sand Wedge McCarlie is on a distinguished road McCarlie's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up. I am still unsure as to what to do, but I think I just need to be fitted, but I was just wondering what were the types of shafts I should keep my heads up for, for approximately my situation

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by McCarlie
    Thanks for the heads up. I am still unsure as to what to do, but I think I just need to be fitted, but I was just wondering what were the types of shafts I should keep my heads up for, for approximately my situation
    Buyer Beware!!!

Recently, I replaced stock Taylor Made shafts in a couple of woods. The TM shafts were labelled S-90 and R-80. My frequency analyser indicated that for the length of the given shaft both were L or ladies flex. Now, if your R 80 was one of these, then a 65 to 70 mph shaft was being used by a 125 mph swinger. Good luck. Similar results were found in Titleist stock shafts.

If you have a smooth transition from backswing to downswing then you do not need a super stiff shaft, however, if you swing fast and/or have a lot of down or lag in your swing then perhaps a good "X" shaft may be appropriate.

A .350" tip diameter shaft creates a little more stability at impact than a .335" one, however, finding a good relacement shaft at .350" is a challenge as relative few are made. Andre's idea of a good .335" shaft with a shim would work in your .350" head.

Putter SuperSlew is on a distinguished road
    I put a STIFF SK Fiber Lite Rev II in my new driver (9 degree Bang-o-matic). These shafts are excellent and moderately priced. They are also very low torque which should help with accuracy. All SK shafts are quite pure and require no spining. The Stiff on the Lite Rev II is very stiff and should probably be labelled X-Stiff. Give it a try. I think you'll like it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlew
    I put a STIFF SK Fiber Lite Rev II in my new driver (9 degree Bang-o-matic). These shafts are excellent and moderately priced. They are also very low torque which should help with accuracy. All SK shafts are quite pure and require no spining. The Stiff on the Lite Rev II is very stiff and should probably be labelled X-Stiff. Give it a try. I think you'll like it!
    If I am shafting clubs with graphite, I use SK Fiber's most of the time. While there is a slight difference in frequency measured around the shaft, about 2 cpm's, this difference will not cause a difference in performance in the shaft.

The Pure Energy, Lite Revolution and Lite Revolition II's are superior shafts and suit virtually all range of golfers' swing tendencies. High ball hitters would use the Lite Rev's, “R” for < 100 mph, “S” for >100 mph, low ball hitters, the PE's, “R” for < 100 mph, “S” for >100 mph, and the high speed, fast swingers, the Lite II, as it is even stiffer at the tip than the Lite Rev.

In irons, the Tour Trac 80’s or 90’s are great. Amazingly, for such a well made shaft, they are all relatively inexpensive.

I am sure that there are other good shafts out there, but one can’t go wrong with the SK’s.

Thread Information