CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: What do you think of Tiger now?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Couldn't care less...

33 24.81%
  • Very disappointed, I like him less...

53 39.85%
  • This hasn't changed my opinion of him one bit...

39 29.32%
  • I like him more...

8 6.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Found some juicy quotes about idols:

Even the people we most admire often feel inadequate.
    -Andrew Matthews

Idolatry is really not good for anyone. Not even the idols.
    -John Bach

There is not a more unhappy being than a superannuated idol
    -Joseph Addison

We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so.
    -B. B. King

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i can certainly understand everything you said. except for the "put on a pedestal and revered". he's like 31 years old, we have barely had a chance to know the guy. it's like reading a book halfway through and recommending it to your friends. why not wait until you've read the whole thing? it's like jumping on the Colts or Saints bandwagon because they're 11-0 thinking they're gonna win the superbowl. it's like the leafs winning two in a row and they start planning the parade.
    Are you serious? Tiger has been put on a pedestal and revered before he turned pro! I've been to tournaments where people are dressed like him and follow him around every hole. They wear the Tiger Wood collection of clothes right down to trying to match his red shirt on Sundays. Tournaments that do not have Tiger play are second-class affairs that attract weaker sponsors, have lower purses and have smaller amounts of TV viewers. Some have changed sponsors, or have disappeared completely. And if Tiger is in the field, his tee times are usually during prime time if that can be arranged and the commentators are always mentioning/showing Tiger even when he is out of contention.

I've felt Tiger is a self-centered, selfish person from the moment I first saw him live at the Skins game in California some years back, and everything that I have personally seen since then has simply confirmed that including the latest events. His golf game is fantastic, he however is a grade a jerk in my eyes.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'll be honest, I haven't read every post in this thread so this might've been already said.

I don't care what Tiger does off the course. I've never really had an opinion about what type of person Tiger is. I'm not a personal friend so this means nothing to me. Do I enjoy watching him on the course. Absolutely. He could end up being the greatest "golfer" of all-time. We already know he won't be the greatest "person" of all-time.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I'll be honest, I haven't read every post in this thread so this might've been already said.

I don't care what Tiger does off the course. I've never really had an opinion about what type of person Tiger is. I'm not a personal friend so this means nothing to me. Do I enjoy watching him on the course. Absolutely. He could end up being the greatest "golfer" of all-time. We already know he won't be the greatest "person" of all-time.
    I agree with Johnny. Who cares what happens off the course. I enjoy watching him on TV when he is playing golf. I dont know him, and will never know him, only through a TV screen and maybe walking by if I ever go see the PGA live. lol...
    This is brings me to another point... All those magazines, tv shows like... Entertainment Tonight... and is there one called Starz?.... Who wants to watch someone elses life stories and problems? I think people have enough problems to deal with than worrying about somebody elses. They are just like you and I. Just have much more money. Everyone makes mistakes.
    This does not change my opinion of him at all. He is still one of the best ever and the best of the current time. Give it a year and everyone will forget.

3 Wood Slicer&Dicer is on a distinguished road
    Apparently Nike is changing it's slogan to "Just Don't Do It!...."

I never really liked Tiger much anyways, and that wouln't change not matter how he tries to overcome this. I have always respected his golfer abilities of course but not the coolness/distance he portrays.

Do I feel sorry for him, not in the least, he deserves whatever he gets. He knew what he was doing over and over with multiple women, so please don't give him any slack, it's not like he went on a one night drinking bing (not that that is excuseable either), he did these women over and over.

If Tiger and his wife were having troubles at home they should have went to counselling, maybe they were?

Of course there will always be good looking women throwing themselves at Tiger, it's up to him to say no, they are not to blame.

He has to be careful what he says now to his wife,
    "Honey, I'm just out to play a round.." doesn't seem to work anymore.

Nobody's perfect, he cursed, threw clubs, etc. but I think this has severly disappointed a lot of folks, even myself.

I am sure his dad would be at the top of the list of those disappointed if he was here.

It sure will be interesting the first time he steps back in front of the camera wherever/whenever it is.

He was always sung as going to be the greatest since a very young age and it's really a shame.
    He had maintained a squeaky clean image and a lot of privacy and was relatively "boring" off the course.

He hopes that the media will go away, but this story is only beginning, he will always be watched off the course now, he can kiss his privacy good bye...

And the newest reality show coming soon..."Tiger, the most elligible non-bachelor"

This next one can be removed by Kilroy if too offensive,
    Tiger is doing the next Leon's commercial, "Ho Ho Ho...OH the payments"
    Last edited by Slicer&Dicer; 12-04-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post

So, using the same Cro-Magnon logic, if someone pisses me off, I should give in to my primitive urges and punch him in the face.

Is Jason Whitlock married with kids? I'll bet not.
    If he is, I'm going to date his daughter, AND his wife.

Whitlock is an addle minded boor.
    Last edited by Shivas Irons; 12-04-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Found some juicy quotes about idols:

Even the people we most admire often feel inadequate.
    -Andrew Matthews

Idolatry is really not good for anyone. Not even the idols.
    -John Bach

There is not a more unhappy being than a superannuated idol
    -Joseph Addison

We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so.
    -B. B. King

I found some quotes too!

"I think it's an honor to be a role model to one person or maybe more than that. If you are given a chance to be a role model, I think you should always take it because you can influence a person's life in a positive light, and that's what I want to do. That's what it's all about.”
    Tiger Woods

"Honestly, I think I can be better. My marriage is only going to help me. I found a person I can talk to and a person who is going to be by my side through thick and thin. Elin has instilled a lot of confidence in me in all aspects of my life."
    Tiger Woods

i can certainly understand everything you said. except for the "put on a pedestal and revered". he's like 31 years old, we have barely had a chance to know the guy. it's like reading a book halfway through and recommending it to your friends. why not wait until you've read the whole thing? it's like jumping on the Colts or Saints bandwagon because they're 11-0 thinking they're gonna win the superbowl. it's like the leafs winning two in a row and they start planning the parade.
    That might be a bit of a sad way to go through life. Never taking advantage of the good that is happening or living in the moment. Do you only watch the final putt of a golf tournament before deciding who to cheer for? Was it not fun to watch Tom Watson's run this summer? He didn't win, but I'm glad I was along for the ride. What about that kid in Kemptville who raised all that money for the wells in Africa. He was only 13, so I guess we shouldn't have praised him until he reaches 50.

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road

Amen to that!
    Not sure what's worse, prying into his personal life, or expecting for some reason that the public is owed an answer.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    So, using the same Cro-Magnon logic, if someone pisses me off, I should give in to my primitive urges and punch him in the face.

Is Jason Whitlock married with kids? I'll bet not.
    If he is, I'm going to date his daughter, AND his wife.

Whitlock is an addle minded boor.
    I have absolutely no idea how you connect Whitlock's column with punching someone that ** you off.

Care to elaborate?

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    I have absolutely no idea how you connect Whitlock's column with punching someone that ** you off.

Care to elaborate?
    I think I was referring to a different column - my bad - where Whitlock suggests that it's okay for a married man to have affairs/mistress(s).

My connection is about simply being able to control primitive urges.

I may see a beautiful woman, and want to jump her bones, but I can control my urge to do so. Same with other aggressions (transgressions? )
    I may think someone derserves a punch in the head, but I can control my urge and refrain from doing so.

My point being - we all think of things we would like to do, but that doesn't mean we have to act on those impulses.

I would be surpised if Whitlock has a wife or kids, giving him very little credibilty on the subject.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    I think I was referring to a different column - my bad - where Whitlock suggests that it's okay for a married man to have affairs/mistress(s).

My connection is about simply being able to control primitive urges.

I may see a beautiful woman, and want to jump her bones, but I can control my urge to do so. Same with other aggressions (transgressions? )
    I may think someone derserves a punch in the head, but I can control my urge and refrain from doing so.

My point being - we all think of things we would like to do, but that doesn't mean we have to act on those impulses.

I would be surpised if Whitlock has a wife or kids, giving him very little credibilty on the subject.
    OK. The Whitlock column I posted was the only one I read, and it had nothing to do with what you were talking about, so I was

I agree with your thoughts about impulse control though...

Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    I found some quotes too!

"I think it's an honor to be a role model to one person or maybe more than that. If you are given a chance to be a role model, I think you should always take it because you can influence a person's life in a positive light, and that's what I want to do. That's what it's all about.”
    Tiger Woods

"Honestly, I think I can be better. My marriage is only going to help me. I found a person I can talk to and a person who is going to be by my side through thick and thin. Elin has instilled a lot of confidence in me in all aspects of my life."
    Tiger Woods
    well. that is .. uh. . interesting.... let's see, how can i spin this?

you have a point that Tiger lied to you (his supporters). those statements are a far cry from the actions of Tiger Woods. but superstar athletes are like politicians, they will always say the politically correct things when talking to the public. what do you expect him to say "I dont want to be a role model, quit immitating me". Maybe that's how he really feels but Tiger has no choice but to say what he is supposed to say. he's a puppet/slave to the Tiger Woods image. he can't say anything that will stirr feathers or he'll lose millions. How about if he said in public "marriage is a joke, i should be able to have as many girls on the side as i want". He would get grilled.

Judging by his actions, Tiger Woods obviously thinks it's ok to cheat. That makes him a pretty crummy guy on a personal level. Prior to this scandal I had no idea if he was loyal or not. And that's my point, his fans should not have assumed that he was loyal to his wife, or a great guy because he said the right things. They all say the right things.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by macspesh View Post
    Amen to that!
    Not sure what's worse, prying into his personal life, or expecting for some reason that the public is owed an answer.

I can't believe there is currently 6 threads in the "Tour Talk" section that have absolutely nothing to do with golf.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    but superstar athletes are like politicians, they will always say the politically correct things when talking to the public. what do you expect him to say "I dont want to be a role model, quit immitating me"
    Charles Barkley makes not pretense about being a role model.

He's honest about himself and his vices and people accept it. If he pretended to be someone else it would be a different story.

Nobody likes hypocrisy.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

They all say the right things.
    Not all.....

I don't care what people think. people are stupid.
    Charles Barkley

I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids.
    Charles Barkley

And my personal favourite.....
    These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it.
    Charles Barkley

There was no question with Barkley that what you see is what you get.

i love Sir Charles.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    If nothing else, the disproportionate outrage about Tiger's behaviour is indicative of our society's over-reliance on others as role models. People are going crazy about Tiger's actions because that's easier than actually providing a real, positive role model in the form of a parent, teacher, friend, etc. We force athletes into positions as role models (which, as Sir Charles explains, is ridiculous), and then expect them to live up to those standards. Then we're shocked when they don't, and we gripe about how horrible they are. Why? Because it's easier than providing a good example yourself. We tell kids to look up to athletes, because then we don't have to worry about our own failings.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I can't believe there is currently 6 threads in the "Tour Talk" section that have absolutely nothing to do with golf.
    Clearly you are in the vast, vast minority.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Clearly you are in the vast, vast minority.
    Imagine having to be a golf analyst/reporter throughout this?
    Brandel Chamblis, from the Golf Channel, really snapped yesterday about all this, rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    And my personal favourite.....
    These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it.
    Charles Barkley

Classic

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macspesh View Post
    Imagine having to be a golf analyst/reporter throughout this?
    Brandel Chamblis, from the Golf Channel, really snapped yesterday about all this, rightfully so.
    Secretly they are happy to have something to report on.

Like it or not, the biggest name in golf is creating a media sensation. Nobody really cares who ends up winning the Chevron challenge.

They do care that the #1 marketing power in all of golf is in trouble because as the Tiger-economy goes, so does the rest of the PGA Tour.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Secretly they are happy to have something to report on.

Like it or not, the biggest name in golf is creating a media sensation. Nobody really cares who ends up winning the Chevron challenge.

They do care that the #1 marketing power in all of golf is in trouble because as the Tiger-economy goes, so does the rest of the PGA Tour.
    Excellent point!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I can't say I've ever known him on a personal level ....

I'm a fan of Tiger because of his skill, and at last check, this hasn't affected his swing ( then again, maybe it was a bit of a distraction! )

I think it's naive to put people you don't know on a pedestal...Tiger's on course ability is all I know and it's why I am a fan.

edit: hadn't read through the whole thread b4 posting, just wanted to give a to jonf for his post a few above mine
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I should also clarify, I am not saying cheating on your spouse is acceptable behaviour in my books.

If someone I knew and respected did I I would lose a lot of respect for them. What I'm trying to say is that I don't know Tiger, so I can't possibly enjoy watching him play golf for any reason than entertainment & envy of his on course abilities.

So this doesn't change how I watch golf.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    I swear, when armageddon arrives. The world will be ending and the media and all the onlookers will be taking pictures as they are falling into the abyss..

Its a sad, sad world we live in.
    "Get your smile on!"

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Decent piece by Lerner but he's got one thing wrong, Tiger does NOT owe us a damn thing. He doesn't have to apologize to us or tell us the truth or share any home made videos. He owes Elin and his family all of those things, but not Joe Blow public.

Anyone who thinks that Clinton, Kobe or Letterman made their public statements for any reason other than to protect their image and to help calm the storm is naive and simply fooling themselves. If the heat gets too hot for Tiger he will say something, but only because that is the only thing that will satisfy the hunger that the media has for the public humiliation of the rich and famous.

I agree with Andy4Par - it is a sad, Sad world that we live in

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Andy4Par;338565]I swear, when armageddon arrives. The world will be ending and the media and all the onlookers will be taking pictures as they are falling into the abyss..

Its a sad, sad world we live in.[/QUOTE]

Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Decent piece by Lerner but he's got one thing wrong, Tiger does NOT owe us a damn thing. He doesn't have to apologize to us or tell us the truth or share any home made videos. He owes Elin and his family all of those things, but not Joe Blow public.

Anyone who thinks that Clinton, Kobe or Letterman made their public statements for any reason other than to protect their image and to help calm the storm is naive and simply fooling themselves. If the heat gets too hot for Tiger he will say something, but only because that is the only thing that will satisfy the hunger that the media has for the public humiliation of the rich and famous.

I agree with Andy4Par - it is a sad, Sad world that we live in
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information