+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Suspension?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tullamore View Post
    that was a great rant by Don.
    - i don't know if any of u remember a game in the mid 70's the Russians played various NHL teams - this game was aganist Philly and one of the Russians gave out a really cheap shot. The next shift that player came on the ice Ed Van Imp came out of the penalty box and just smoked him - dirty yes - but it was a message. The Russians left the ice.
    That game was in January 1976.... the Flyers were goons and played like goons. The player that Van Impe nailed was Valeri Kharlamov (the same player Bobby Clarke slash in 1972 and broke his ankle – on purpose). Kharlamov didn't cheap shot anybody... he was a fast and talented player.... the Flyers were a bunch of goons. This all happen half way through the 1st period.

Just a reminder, the Flyers never won a cup after this...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    That game was in January 1976.... the Flyers were goons and played like goons. The player that Van Impe nailed was Valeri Kharlamov (the same player Bobby Clarke slash in 1972 and broke his ankle – on purpose). Kharlamov didn't cheap shot anybody... he was a fast and talented player.... the Flyers were a bunch of goons. This all happen half way through the 1st period.

Hey Tullamore, nice to know that the there were no cheap shots in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s!!!! The broad street bullies say it all.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Foddz View Post
    The logical response if your goal is to reduce head injuries, is to penalize each and every headshot that occurs. Regardless of whether it is a clean hit by the rules today, the only reason to plow somebody in the head is to try and injure them.
    Of all the posts in this thread, this one actually makes the most sense to me. It doesn't matter what part of your body you use or whether the player has his head up or down - if you're trying to hit someone in the head then you're trying to injure them and that should be penalized.

The biggest problem with the rules as they are is that there is no middle ground - its either totally legal or a suspension - and the rationale used for deciding which is which is complicated and largely unintelligible to most players. I don't think the NHL's convaluted new rule is going to improve this - IMHO it seems to be designed solely to justify arbitrary suspension decisions made with 20/20 hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Foddz View Post
    Yes - there are cases where the headshots are unintended. I would argue that those should be penalized too. Just like when you poke at the puck and end up tripping your opponent instead; the act is penalized, not the intent.
    As a referee, I can tell you that intent is considered when calling penalties for most infractions. I think some discretion on this call should be allowed just like they have with other infractions - with the consequences being a roughing minor, major or major + game misconduct depending on the severity. Generally speaking players learn the rules by breaking them, so once they get a few minors for targeting the head then they'll learn where the line is.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Bobby Clarke! I wince in embarrassment at the mention of his name as I recall his hatchet job.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Thread Information