CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suspension?

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar

Suspension?

OK, I like Ovechkin, but after the hit tonight, I think he has to be suspended. He is a bit too reckless out there. Superstar or not, he needs to be sent a message by the league. I hope he is not seriously injured, but if he is, it is all his own fault.
    Last edited by tmacgolf; 11-30-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    He will be suspended. Second major and match penalty in 3 games... He might be out anyway...

What about Ballard, does he also get suspended for slashing his own goalie in the head?
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    He will be suspended. Second major and match penalty in 3 games... He might be out anyway...

What about Ballard, does he also get suspended for slashing his own goalie in the head?
    Slap on the wrist or actual suspension? I think two games. That seems to be the going rate lately.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    He should get 5 games - AFTER he comes back from injury. If he is injured, I would have to say he deserves it - live by the sword, die by the sword. He sticks his leg out and goes knee-on-knee frequently. The hit looks very similar to the Gonchar hit in last year's playoffs.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1090-Washi...kneetoknee-hit

I would also say 5 or 6 games. Big George just got 5 games for the same thing. I think Ovy check was worse than Geo.

I completely agree that it should be 5, unfortunately I think he will get 2 max. because of who he is.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I dont know what to think about Ovie. As a fan of his i want to believe that he's not a dirty player, and i think that's what the NHL wants to think so too. His punishment wont be anything close to Laraque's 5 games; however the NHL needs to send a message that a player (no matter who it is) has to be in control of himself. I haven't seen any Capitals games lately but the headlines suggest that Ovie has been wreckless lately.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Definitely on par with Laroque's hit but because he's Ovie he will get a slap on the wrist, probably 2 games. Thing is Ovie is a predator IMO - he has a long history and is most certainly a repeat offender, but the NHL being the NHL has "special" rules for its Star Players as well all know.

Here is the OVY story for 2009...

January 2009 - - Heward
    May 2009 - - Gonchar
    Nov 2009 - - Kaleta
    Dec 2009 - - Gleason

He was told last week that he would not be suspended but that they (NHL) didn't want to see him back in front of them. It lasted about 10 days.

5 games for sure.

Well, it is official. 2 game suspension. Not enough in my oppinion, but now at least he has a "record", so next time he will be considered a repeat offender. I'm glad neither player was seriously hurt.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I hope Ovechkin needs surgery and misses the Olympics.

As far as Ballard goes a couple of things could happen, but it would be at the discretion of the team. He could be released or sent down to the minors, or suspended by the team under the CBA for "detrimental conduct".
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Verdict is out... 2 games.

Next game is Dec. 7

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    2 games is kind of a joke considering he is probably to injured to play for at least that long.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    the problem is that the NHL (and society) has different rules for stars. Ovechkin gets less of a suspension as his being out impacts $$. If he isn't in the lineup, arenas don't sell out. Unfortunately, they are sending the message that it's okay for him (and other stars) to act like that.

I love watching him play for his passion and intensity. If he keeps this up though, somebody will retaliate sooner than later and potentially end his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Here is the OVY story for 2009...

January 2009 - - Heward
    May 2009 - - Gonchar
    Nov 2009 - - Kaleta
    Dec 2009 - - Gleason
    imo, a knee on knee hit has as much injury risk to both skaters invovled, so why would Ovie put his own career (and $100 mill contract) at risk by intentionally doing such an act? the way i look at these 4 'accidents' in the past 70 games is that Ovie needs to slow down. He has two gifts, scoring and hitting. He should focus more on the scoring aspect and less on the hitting.

Deja vu?

first reaction i had to this hit was that this kind of hit happens regularly in the playoffs with no calls.
    it was a dangerous push from behind, soupy ended up getting hurt (probably for the season), BUT........... there is a debate as to whether Campbell was falling before the push. is ovechkin that strong? is campbell that weak? or did he slip and fall?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Deja vu?

first reaction i had to this hit was that this kind of hit happens regularly in the playoffs with no calls.
    it was a dangerous push from behind, soupy ended up getting hurt (probably for the season), BUT........... there is a debate as to whether Campbell was falling before the push. is ovechkin that strong? is campbell that weak? or did he slip and fall?
    You can bet the Colon C. (I took the liberty to change his name to something the more closely resembles the decisions that he makes) will certainly view this as anything but Ovie's fault.....#8 is super talented but he is reckless as hell and he will continue to seriously hurt guys until he is made to sit out a good while for his lack of respect towards others

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I didn't really think it was that bad at all. I think he just hit him too far away from the boards, and Campbell couldn't handle the pressure. It was a boarding call that normally gets a game misconduct. The Caps must think they have to go through Chicago for the Cup, so I think they wanted to win and set the tone, it just went a little far.

What do you think of the Downie move on Crosby?

I think it was one of the dirtiest moves I have seen, he really looked like he knew what he was doing, no accidental contact at all. Didn't watch the game, but did he get even a 2 minute penalty for it?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Were it up to me, Downie would be gone for the season! As for Ovie, he doesn't seem to get it. Yes, you play hard, but you also play with some common sense, a quality that he seems to lack. Sooner or later, he will severely injure a player, if not kill him, and the league and he will wring their collective hands in despair wondering what they could or should have done. Everyone save them seems to know the answer to that question.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I didn't really think it was that bad at all. I think he just hit him too far away from the boards, and Campbell couldn't handle the pressure. It was a boarding call that normally gets a game misconduct. The Caps must think they have to go through Chicago for the Cup, so I think they wanted to win and set the tone, it just went a little far.

I think it was one of the dirtiest moves I have seen, he really looked like he knew what he was doing, no accidental contact at all. Didn't watch the game, but did he get even a 2 minute penalty for it?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post

You said it... DIRTY... I just youtubed it since I didn't catch any highlights yesterday. I couldn't believe what I saw. That was the most blatant attempt to injure I've seen in a long time. WOW.

He got 2 mins for roughing.
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

I'm at a loss on the Downie play, it really does look intentional to me, but how does one actually "plan" something like that going at full speed......this one should be an interesting call my Colon

Mr. Campbell is probably thanking his lucky stars that Sid was able to finish the game, now he can turn a blink eye because we all know that he likes to punish the result as opposed to the action itself

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The ovie hit wasn't the dirtiest hit ever, but it was a dangerous play. From behind, 8 feet from the boards. As we've seen a few times this year, you don't have to hit a guy hard in that position for him to get badly hurt, and there's no way for them to defend themselves. Not disimilar from the Lapierre hit that got 4 games earlier this year, and I hope they have the common sense to give Ovie the same kind of punishment.

never a dull moment when ov's on the ice. he reminds me of Predator, stalking players with his thermal vision. he's fun to watch, until he faces your team. i'm glad my wings dont have to face this barbarian too often.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Downie has no business playing in the NHL. He is the perfect example of a guy who has absolutely no respect for his opponents. That's probably the most deliberate attempt to injure I have seen since Bertuzzi on Moore

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    The ovie hit wasn't the dirtiest hit ever, but it was a dangerous play. From behind, 8 feet from the boards. As we've seen a few times this year, you don't have to hit a guy hard in that position for him to get badly hurt, and there's no way for them to defend themselves. Not disimilar from the Lapierre hit that got 4 games earlier this year, and I hope they have the common sense to give Ovie the same kind of punishment.
    OV got a two-game suspension.

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    and Downie gets nothing? Interesting.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The NHL's motto under Bettman's steely eyed gaze should be: "The NHL - where myopia rules."

Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    and Downie gets nothing? Interesting.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    I think that on a dirty hit that a player like Ovechkin should be suspended for as long as the injured player is out. In this case, maybe for the rest of the season and playoffs.

5 Wood leafseh is on a distinguished road leafseh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rpangman View Post
    I think that on a dirty hit that a player like Ovechkin should be suspended for as long as the injured player is out. In this case, maybe for the rest of the season and playoffs.
    I understand your philosophy, but what happens if Campbell get's up, uninjured? Is Ovechkin's hit unpunishable then? This is where the grey area in all this comes into play. The NHL HAS to punish the ACT and not the result. They need to come up with an automatic set value of games for the act. If they want to tack on extra games after the fact (due to priors, reputation, even injury..), sure. But they can't leave it up to ''discretion'', because obviously we've seen that system just isn't working.

Kinda strayed from your point a little there, but here's another way of thinking... what if OV hits let's say... Brian McGratton (someone who's in the press box more than he plays)... I could see teams abusing this system by ''faking'' the duration of injuries.

I also wanted to add that Steve Downie is a douchebag. He has no place in hockey. I can't believe the NHL didn't even give that play a second look. Terrible.
    Last edited by leafseh; 03-17-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: voicing my displeasure for Steve Downie
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by rpangman View Post
    and Kane should have been suspended until that cabbie's bruises went away.

Thread Information