100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lob Wedge 4eyedgoalies is on a distinguished road 4eyedgoalies's Avatar

Cool Membership or ???

I am getting back into golf and am considering a membership but am not sure which club. I live in the Riverside South area and am pretty new to the Ottawa area and would love some advice on the subject.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Being out that way gives you a few choices:

Emerald Links
    Stonebridge
    Equinelle
    Cedar Glen
    Nation View
    Cloverdale Links
    Anderson Links

Just to name a few.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Greyhawk would be an option also from that area.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Being out that way gives you a few choices:

Emerald Links
    Stonebridge
    Equinelle
    Cedar Glen
    Nation View
    Cloverdale Links
    Anderson Links

Just to name a few.
    Cloverdale Links and Anderson Links are green-fee-only courses Geoff, although I believe Emerald Links members can pay an extra fee and play them for free. I think Manderley is still an option though, as is Falcon Ridge and Metcalfe.

Depending on your age and your budget, you could also consider Ottawa Hunt, Rideauview and Carleton Golf & Yacht Club. If you have a connection to the military then Ottawa Hylands might be an option too.

For someone new to Ottawa and just getting back into the game, I would recommend you get get a discount membership like Reservation Masters (see the link on this site), Executive Golf or Corporate Golf. That will allow you to get to know a lot of courses in the area first without spending a small fortune.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Riverside South - Golf

What about Carleton Golf & Yacht in Manotick?

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    What about Carleton Golf & Yacht in Manotick?

I joined Greyhawk this year and I am very happy with my decision, a large part of which was based on its proximity to home and work. HOWEVER, Carleton G &Y C in Manotick really appealed to me, it was just too far.

If you live down there I recommend you check it out

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    I joined Greyhawk this year and I am very happy with my decision, a large part of which was based on its proximity to home and work. HOWEVER, Carleton G &Y C in Manotick really appealed to me, it was just too far.

If you live down there I recommend you check it out
    I also live in Riverside South and joined CG&YC. The greens are terrific and the course is very challenging. I met some amazing people and look forward to playing more next year. Depending on your age, there are great deals in place. It is certainly worth looking into. Please let me know if I can assist in any way.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Another vote for CG&YC
    It's a great deal for private golf and close to Riverside South as well.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Also The Hylands Golf club is another option.You need to be sponsored but it is open to non military personnel.It has 36 holes and is always in great shape,easy to walk and the price is very competitive for a private course.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Also The Hylands Golf club is another option.You need to be sponsored but it is open to non military personnel.It has 36 holes and is always in great shape,easy to walk and the price is very competitive for a private course.
    I understand it also has a long waiting list?

Gap Wedge haugenmark is on a distinguished road
    Any comments on Rideau View vs Carleton Golf and Yacht Club? I haven't played either. Both courses look nice yet the facilities at Rideau View look much nicer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regarding Rideau View and Carleton here's the skinny (in my opinion of course);

I joined Carleton this summer after having looked into Hunt Club, Rideau View and CG&Y. At the end of the day, it came down to Rideau View and Carleton. I thought that Carleton offered me a great chance to get back into the swing of things after having been away from a home club for a few seasons. I did not make the most of my membership however, having only played around 40 games at the course. I played nearly that many games at other courses throughout the area this summer (I logged 70+ rounds). I guess I found it difficult to break the habit of having played around the past few seasons. I used to play almost exclusively at the same course, but found that variety was better for me. Then I wanted that club scene again, so the thought of joining something in the area was appealing. When it came to chosing, I was leaning toward Hunt Club initially as it was the closest to my home in Riverside South, but the thought of stepping into one of the better social clubs I was a little uncomfortable. I met with Mr Ducat at Rideau View and was really impressed. There is no arguing that the facility and course is top notch. For those who have not been to Rideau View, it is every bit as nice as Hunt Club. The club house is very impressive, but what sets it apart is the surroundings. Unlike both Hunt Club and Carleton, this course is not set in a housing development, therefore you will not have the buzz that you can get (albeit very minimal) from the others. Just driving up that long driveway and along number 18 is very impressive. Rideau View boasts one of the best player development programs and will make you a better player. At this point I was really leaning toward joining the club.

Finally, before putting my money down, I took a visit to Carleton. I started with an email during an overnight shift at work and received a very timely response. The club was very welcoming and was quick to invite me to visit the clubhouse. Shortly thereafter I played an introductory round with three members and got my first chance to see the course. Although not as impressive as either Rideau View or Hunt Club this spring, Carleton is certainly a shot makers course. There is not a great deal of length, but anything missing the fairway finds trouble very quickly. The clubhouse, although again not as nice as the other comparables, has tons of charm and character. The staff are all very friendly and its easy to access the course as a single player. By mid summer the course had really come into its own. I would go as far as to say that the conditions were in the same ballpark as Rideau View or any of the local club link courses. In fact, our greens were better then any of the three Club link courses and basically the same as Rideau View. The greens were as good as any I played this year (I though Loyalist during their club championship weekend were the fastest, and that La Geant was overall the best). There were certain pin placements that made you think about not only hitting the green, but where your misses need to be. For years I just took dead aim and let it fly. Now, I began to understand the value of a par and the acceptance of a good bogie. The course can beat you down. Heck, I was as low as 71 this summer, but as high as 92!

Anyway, at the end of the day I joined Carleton and was very glad to have made the choice I did. I met many great friends and look forward to meeting many more people in the future.

The positives included the price: 2010 is going to be approx $2000, and no initiation fee for my age group. The greens are so good. The priority placed on shot making. The staff and nice members (I was only snubbed a couple of times - truthfully I was expecting much more).

Negatives included: The mess driving through Manotick or over the bridge by the Swan. It sucks passing Rideau View and knowing that you have 5 minutes to go each way. The lack of length on the golf course. No practice bunkers. Lack of young people to play with. There seems to be a few juniors, then a gap of nearly 15-20 years in which I found only myself and maybe 5 others who were within 5 years of my age. I did not meet another person, nor see another person at the course who was my age. I actually could say that this was also a positive as it forced me to meet new people which turned out great.

Looking at next year, I have options and decisions to make once more. I am not sure if I will continue at Carleton, but would give it first shot. It appears as though we are losing a few members, and unfortunately many of these were those that I met this past summer. Factors including the price (cheaper at Rideau View - depending on your age category - under 26 for example is cheaper) and the lack of use (not playing enough rounds in the year) are things that can sway your choices.

I hope this information proves to be somewhat useful. I would be happy to discuss in more detail if you would like. Send me a PM at your leisure.

Gap Wedge haugenmark is on a distinguished road
    Thanks Johnny C.

For my age bracket (33) it looks like the annual fees are about the same but the initiation fee is double at Rideau View (4k v 8k). I live just south of EL so the drive is pretty short. Carleton is 10 minutes and Rideau View about 15.

This is going to be a tough call.

I agree, it is a very tough decision. I found it to be more stressful then
    buying a car as the commitment is for life. I would suggest trying both clubs via an introductory round in the spring. I would also recommend meeting both Greg Richardson and Steve Ducat. I thought both men were very nice, however I ultimately went with Carleton based mostly upon Greg. He is world class nice. He is great to always say hi and such when he sees you, as are the other staff at the club. That might sound like a small thing, but to me it was/is everything. Again, best of luck. If there is anything I can offer, please do not hesitate to ask.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    My head is spinning round and round trying to come to a decision on whether to join a club or not.

Here are my criteria for selecting a course. In order of importance:
    1 - proximity (30 mins, 40 km's from nepean)
    2 - cost (under $4000 per year)
    3 - course conditions and difficulty (i want to join a very tough course, water hazards, fast greens, slope 130+)
    4 - player development program (knowledgable teaching pros)
    5 - reciprocal priviledges at other courses or tournaments vs other clubs

The private clubs in my area that interest me are Hunt Club, Rideauview, Carleton and Clublink (Greyhawk or Hautes Plaines).

Costwise, these clubs would cost me $2800, $3000, $3000, ($3800, $3000) respectively. If I compare this to being a public player, I calculate that it is going to cost me around $3600 this year, so joining one of these clubs is going to actually save me a few bucks.

My greatest fear is that if I join a club, I'll get bored of that course. I have played 50 rounds so far this year and I'll probably end up with 90 rounds. I can't imagine playing the same course 60, 70, 80 times in one year. Won't I get bored? Has anyone here ever been a member of a private course, played more than 60 rounds in a season, and then decided it wasn't for them and now play the public courses? I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

I am hesitating to join Clublink as well. 90% of my rounds are played on the weekends in the morning (prime time!). And since Clublink reserves those spots for members of the home course, I'll probably never play Kanata or Eagle Creek on the weekends in the morning. I'll be playing Greyhawk and HP. This reduces the appeal of joining Clublink a little bit for me.

The thing I like about playing the public courses is the variety of courses and the different challenges presented by each course. If I join a private club, I'm afraid that I'll play my rounds with my mind on cruise control if you know what i mean. I'll know where all the hazards are, I'll know where to lay up, I'll know that this green slopes a certain way, and my mind really isn't active trying to learn something new. Hey if the US Open was going to be held every year at my home course, you bet I'd join and try to make some money, but since that won't happen there is not point for me to memorize that one course.

Regarding player development, I'm a big fan of the driving range and lessons. Anybody have positive reviews of the Teaching Pro's at the clubs I mentioned?

I'm going to arrange a round at Rideauview and Carleton to check out their courses. I've been on the waiting list for the Hunt since the Fall '09, but I've never played it lol. I'll take everyone's word for it that it's a nice course.

ps: are there golf clubs in ottawa that offer other sports? like a golf/tennis club, or swimming pools, hot tubs open during the winter, etc.... ?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    nokids, I must recommend Rideau View. The golf course is highly superior to Carleton. The teaching staff is second to none in the area, and the top two guys, Paul Sherratt and Matt Robinson, have been there for years. The club's junior program produces some of the top players in the region. And, the intersectional team is always winning the 'A' Division.

You seem to have gotten a lot better this year, and Rideau View is a place where you can always find a game with a better player - which, to me, is a great way to improve. You can watch the better players, and see what their processes are and how they approach each shot.

In terms of getting bored of the golf course, why don't you play in some tournaments? That should satisfy your need to play different tracks. Plus, at Rideau View, the difference between the blue tees and the black tees is pretty significant. You can alternate and hit different shots for sure.

Good luck making your decision.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Wow, you just took over this thread with that one post!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Question Club or Player's Card

I thought this was a new thread, but see that it was started in Nov 2009 with a new entry recently.

I think the answer for me is the player's card. I would only consider a membership at a course if my wife played and I was looking to break into a new social circle. As NoKids said playing the same course over an over would become boring. The only advantage to anyone, IMHO, to belonging to a club are the extra-curricular events such as social or club specific events. I feel that you do not truly test yourself as a golfer unless you play a variety of venues. Perhaps you can play well at one course, but until you try, and master, a variety of situations you are not an all-around golfer. As far as coaching goes there are a variety of places that offer excellent coaching in the Ottawa area, so unless you MUST be coached at your club, I'd find a good coach and explore all the challenges the Ottawa Valley courses have to offer.

Thanks Sensguy. Rideauview is actually my #1 choice at this point. For the reasons you gave, and Johnnyc said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Wow, you just took over this thread with that one post!
    i debated creating my own thread, but i'm in the same position as the OP. and there's a lot of good info in this thread that relates to my decision. why create a whole new thread? it's easier to just keep the convo going, aka hijack it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I think the answer for me is the player's card. .
    i'm going to have to research this players card thing. i never heard of it.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post

My greatest fear is that if I join a club, I'll get bored of that course. I have played 50 rounds so far this year and I'll probably end up with 90 rounds. I can't imagine playing the same course 60, 70, 80 times in one year. Won't I get bored? Has anyone here ever been a member of a private course, played more than 60 rounds in a season, and then decided it wasn't for them and now play the public courses? I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

The thing I like about playing the public courses is the variety of courses and the different challenges presented by each course. If I join a private club, I'm afraid that I'll play my rounds with my mind on cruise control if you know what i mean. I'll know where all the hazards are, I'll know where to lay up, I'll know that this green slopes a certain way, and my mind really isn't active trying to learn something new. Hey if the US Open was going to be held every year at my home course, you bet I'd join and try to make some money, but since that won't happen there is not point for me to memorize that one course.
    Crazy talk lol. If you join a good golf club with a difficult golf course, you most definitely will not be bored. I have over 150 rounds played at my home course over the last 2 years so far, and the challenge remains the same. To shoot low scores. Pick a course that has a high resistance to scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    Crazy talk lol. If you join a good golf club with a difficult golf course, you most definitely will not be bored. I have over 150 rounds played at my home course over the last 2 years so far, and the challenge remains the same. To shoot low scores. Pick a course that has a high resistance to scoring.
    In a way I can see your point because I've played Loch March about 10 times this year and I'm still not bored of it. The challenge of that course is what keeps me coming back for more torture. The best score I've ever had was an 82 on it from the blues. If I can ever get in the 70's on that course, my next step would be to back up to the gold tees.

Thanks for the input.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 DenisO is on a distinguished road DenisO's Avatar
    I'm really strongly considering joining a club for next year as well, the reason being is not just for the golf course but to have a really nice practice area where I can go after work and spend time working on my putting, chipping, and bunker shots, as well as a driving range. The way I see my next season playing out is that I'm practicing most evenings with perhaps playing 9 or 18 holes once or twice a week, and then at least 18 both Saturday and Sunday. This season I'm looking at 70+ rounds, and I'm not even taking advantage of weekdays like I plan to next year. Ofcourse I'd be going to play at other courses once in awhile with friends.

I live in Morgans Grant so Rideauview seems a bit out of the way for me. I'll have to look into what the initiation fee and annual dues are for Kanata at my age (25). Is anyone here a member, how are the practice facilities and the course in general?

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    The practice area is just OK. I don't think you can hit woods off of the driving range, however you do have access to the practice area at Eagle Creek with the Kanata membership. At 25, you have up to 15 years to pay your initiation. Also, you can join at Greyhawk or Hautes Plaines and still use the practice facility at Kanata or Eagle Creek. PM me if you want more information.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    My head is spinning round and round trying to come to a decision on whether to join a club or not.

Here are my criteria for selecting a course. In order of importance:
    1 - proximity (30 mins, 40 km's from nepean)
    2 - cost (under $4000 per year)
    3 - course conditions and difficulty (i want to join a very tough course, water hazards, fast greens, slope 130+)
    4 - player development program (knowledgable teaching pros)
    5 - reciprocal priviledges at other courses or tournaments vs other clubs

The private clubs in my area that interest me are Hunt Club, Rideauview, Carleton and Clublink (Greyhawk or Hautes Plaines).

Costwise, these clubs would cost me $2800, $3000, $3000, ($3800, $3000) respectively. If I compare this to being a public player, I calculate that it is going to cost me around $3600 this year, so joining one of these clubs is going to actually save me a few bucks.

I am hesitating to join Clublink as well. 90% of my rounds are played on the weekends in the morning (prime time!). And since Clublink reserves those spots for members of the home course, I'll probably never play Kanata or Eagle Creek on the weekends in the morning. I'll be playing Greyhawk and HP. This reduces the appeal of joining Clublink a little bit for me.

Regarding player development, I'm a big fan of the driving range and lessons. Anybody have positive reviews of the Teaching Pro's at the clubs I mentioned?

I'm going to arrange a round at Rideauview and Carleton to check out their courses. I've been on the waiting list for the Hunt since the Fall '09, but I've never played it lol. I'll take everyone's word for it that it's a nice course.

ps: are there golf clubs in ottawa that offer other sports? like a golf/tennis club, or swimming pools, hot tubs open during the winter, etc.... ?
    no way it cost u $3000.00 at Hautes Plaines, your younger then me and im $2000.00 all in, and I can play Kanata or Eagle Creek anytime, never an issue getting tee offs even before 12 on weekends, there very relaxed about that.

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    no way it cost u $3000.00 at Hautes Plaines, your younger then me and im $2000.00 all in, and I can play Kanata or Eagle Creek anytime, never an issue getting tee offs even before 12 on weekends, there very relaxed about that.
    dude i'm like 6 years older than you. aren't you 26/27?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    So what does it cost a year to be a member at HP,including taxes, food and bar fees(excluding the initiation fee)? Is it the same fee for all ages? I am not talking about corporate membership or others.
    Just curious.

dude i'm like 6 years older than you. aren't you 26/27?
    my bad I thought u said u were younger then me previously, yeah not so cheap over 30. $3000.00 is pretty conservative as well I think its more.

So what does it cost a year to be a member at HP,including taxes, food and bar fees(excluding the initiation fee)? Is it the same fee for all ages? I am not talking about corporate membership or others.
    Just curious.
    How old are you?

Old enough to be your dad.LOL that would be 57 years young !!!!

Just curious.
    if you're over 30, HP is $2565 annual dues, your initiation is $6,500 (divided up into 6 -15 years, the younger you are the more years you can divide it up), the food and bar is $580 for the year, then you have some minor expenses like trophy fees, and hole in 1 insurance that adds up to less than $100 per season.

So HP could cost as much as $3600 per year (40 years and older), or as little as $3100 per year (30 year olds). -- not counting food and bar into these figures.

http://en.clublink.ca/assets/pdf/PriceGuide2010.pdf

Thread Information