CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Here's the bit in Whitlock's article that I think needs to be in context... specifically, the pre- and post-amble that bookend the two tabloid 'facts'...
    ...this, in my opinion, is a TMZ-fueled pi$$ing match. There are dollars to be earned digging up dirt on Woods and his wife.

If anything, "Tigergate" is an example of Tiger's impeccably high character.Let's play this thing out like there are kernels of truth in the TMZ stories, which I believe are laced with kernels of lies

It's 2:25 a.m. on Thanksgiving night and Tiger got behind the wheel sober.
    Upset by the National Enquirer story, Tiger's wife scratched up his face. There isn't a hint that Tiger retaliated. He jumped in his SUV and tried to leave without escalating the physical confrontation.

The man is sober and trying to avoid a fight. We're not talking about the next OJ Simpson. This isn't Teddy Kennedy covering up Chappaquiddick. It's not Tiger shacking up with a teenage waitress.
    The line that is important here is:
    Let's play this thing out like there are kernels of truth in the TMZ stories, which I believe are laced with kernels of lies

So, what Whitlock is doing is using the TMZ 'truths' and postulating that even if these TMZ 'truths' turn out to be fact, that Tiger still hasn't really done anything terribly immoral here.

I apologize for not taking the time to be more expansive in my previous post.
    Agreed, those quotes point to the tongue and cheek nature of that section of his article. TMZ is a rag and always will be. They and other tabloids do exactly what he is reporting. Take a couple of facts, and use them to create conjecture and rumour. The examples you mentioned above are the "facts" that he is agreeing on, and feels other than that, TMZ has taken literary license with many other issues. His concluding paragraphs summarizing his point is what I mentioned above, and what I still feel are his actual intended points. Choosing the facts that he feels are the only basis for the TMZ articles to justify his main points. When he says in the following paragragh, "from what we know", he is now stating his own impression of details, not TMZ's. This is the troubling part for me. He doesn't care that Tiger was potentially hit. He comes right out and says he doesn't have a problem with Tiger covering that up. That is, and has always been my only issue with this article, wether that was properly stated or not.

"But from what we know, Tiger was the lone victim. He had blood in his mouth and was bouncing in and out of consciousness. If he wants to concoct a story protecting the image of the mother of his kids, is that so bad? If he concocted a story to avoid discussing Rachel Uchitel, I don't have a problem with that either."

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    Agreed, those quotes point to the tongue and cheek nature of that section of his article. TMZ is a rag and always will be. They and other tabloids do exactly what he is reporting. Take a couple of facts, and use them to create conjecture and rumour. The examples you mentioned above are the "facts" that he is agreeing on, and feels other than that, TMZ has taken literary license with many other issues. His concluding paragraphs summarizing his point is what I mentioned above, and what I still feel are his actual intended points. Choosing the facts that he feels are the only basis for the TMZ articles to justify his main points. When he says in the following paragragh, "from what we know", he is now stating his own impression of details, not TMZ's. This is the troubling part for me. He doesn't care that Tiger was potentially hit. He comes right out and says he doesn't have a problem with Tiger covering that up. That is, and has always been my only issue with this article, wether that was properly stated or not.

"But from what we know, Tiger was the lone victim. He had blood in his mouth and was bouncing in and out of consciousness. If he wants to concoct a story protecting the image of the mother of his kids, is that so bad? If he concocted a story to avoid discussing Rachel Uchitel, I don't have a problem with that either."
    I see what you're saying, I must have glossed over the bit where he says he didn't have an issue with Tiger, as victim, covering up the facts. My bad.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs up The BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    The only thing golfy about this story is the big unsanswered question... Did she use a 9 or a 7 iron to take out the window?
    Best comment... so far! You da' man Dan!

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    To be honest, I really don't understand some peoples perspective here.

Of course we don't know all the facts of what happened and maybe we never will.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Tiger Woods or any other sportsman really. I appreciate their skill and enjoy watching them in their chosen arena but I find the whole "cult of celebrity" thing a bit childish and vulgar.

So, from a purely personal perspective I have no interest in Tiger Woods' private life, his marital bliss or otherwise, his views on politics or what he had for lunch.

However, I find it insanely naive for anyone to think there isn't a story here or that no one is going to care. This is one of the most famous people, especially here in North America having a bizarre accident in the wee hours amid rumours of an affair.
    All this "deliciously sordid speculation" perfectly juxtaposed next to his squeeky clean apple pie image. OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO BE NEWS.

I think some of us are just such avid Tiger fans and golf nuts that we are unwilling to accept he may indeed just be a flawed human being like the rest of us.

You don't have to care about the story but you do have to accept it is a news story and it will run. People want to know the sleaze on famous people from Presidents down, (remember Monika) it's just the way it is. As to just sticking to the facts...PLEASE....there are so many facts being omitted here it is impossible not to speculate. And remember the first rule of journalism, "never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

You don't have to buy the paper or watch the news

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Best comment... so far! You da' man Dan!
    Apparently elin took 5 swings with the club but asked the cop to write down a 4
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    To be honest, I really don't understand some peoples perspective here.

Of course we don't know all the facts of what happened and maybe we never will.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Tiger Woods or any other sportsman really. I appreciate their skill and enjoy watching them in their chosen arena but I find the whole "cult of celebrity" thing a bit childish and vulgar.

So, from a purely personal perspective I have no interest in Tiger Woods' private life, his marital bliss or otherwise, his views on politics or what he had for lunch.

However, I find it insanely naive for anyone to think there isn't a story here or that no one is going to care. This is one of the most famous people, especially here in North America having a bizarre accident in the wee hours amid rumours of an affair.
    All this "deliciously sordid speculation" perfectly juxtaposed next to his squeeky clean apple pie image. OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO BE NEWS.

I think some of us are just such avid Tiger fans and golf nuts that we are unwilling to accept he may indeed just be a flawed human being like the rest of us.

You don't have to care about the story but you do have to accept it is a news story and it will run. People want to know the sleaze on famous people from Presidents down, (remember Monika) it's just the way it is. As to just sticking to the facts...PLEASE....there are so many facts being omitted here it is impossible not to speculate. And remember the first rule of journalism, "never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

You don't have to buy the paper or watch the news
    Hiya Goochy...

I think for me I'm at the point of overload when it comes to celebrity related gossip mongering. Certainly there is more to the story, but I have reached a saturation point with all the idle speculation.

You are correct though, we don't have to buy the paper, or watch the news. What is bothersome is that everyone with a computer, an internet connection, and a blog all of a sudden considers themselves to be a journalist, and mainstream traditional media doesn't know what to do about it, so they blur the lines between themselves and the twitteratti et al, in an attempt to keep themselves relevant.

In doing so however, they marginalize whatever professionalism they had left.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    interesting graphic here showing the layout of the house, hydrant and tree....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...153944.graphic
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

JR said something interesting on Team1200 this morning... comparing Tiger's situation to Letterman's recent situation. Letterman came completely clean and the issue has all but disappeared for him.

I can see how this approach would work in this case too.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    The only part of this that is my 'business' is my decision on whether or not to 'short' Nike shares.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    The only part of this that is my 'business' is my decision on whether or not to 'short' Nike shares.
    I have been here all the time The above statemnt is the only one that makes sense
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm pretty confident that Nike shares are just fine......the US public for the most part, ignore the digressions of their entertainment and sporting heroes, Britney, Michael Jackson, Kobe Bryant and on, and on, and on.

There was a bloke on the Golf Channel last night (sorry I can't recall his name) but his profession was "crisis management consultant". These people are hired by celebrities and politicians to advise them on how to handle these sort of embarrassing little "incidents"

Anyway, his opinion was that Woods has handled this badly and made it worse for himself, basically encouraging speculation. Apparently the Golden Rules in these situtaions are Talk First (definately within 24 hours), Give your side of the story (confessing if necessary) and then Stick to it. By doing this you defuse the story (as 3Jack said, just like Letterman)

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    It's one thing to confess your own sins. It's quite another to confess someone else's especially if that person is your spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    There was a bloke on the Golf Channel last night (sorry I can't recall his name) but his profession was "crisis management consultant". These people are hired by celebrities and politicians to advise them on how to handle these sort of embarrassing little "incidents"

Anyway, his opinion was that Woods has handled this badly and made it worse for himself, basically encouraging speculation. Apparently the Golden Rules in these situtaions are Talk First (definately within 24 hours), Give your side of the story (confessing if necessary) and then Stick to it. By doing this you defuse the story (as 3Jack said, just like Letterman)
    Last edited by mpare; 12-01-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'm pretty confident that Nike shares are just fine......the US public for the most part, ignore the digressions of their entertainment and sporting heroes, Britney, Michael Jackson, Kobe Bryant and on, and on, and on.
    They're golf brand could get hurt quite badly if this Tiger thing gets worse. Adultery is still pretty stigmatized in the gentlemanly world of golf.

Other than AK who's having his own problems on and off the course, who else uses Nike clubs/balls?

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    Nike is far bigger than Tiger. And is far bigger than golf as well. This won't be good for them, but I doubt there will be any material consequences.

They still have LeBron, Federer/Nadal, Jeter, Tom Brady, and a near endless list of others to carry their brand.

Reports are poping up that Tiger is going to be cited for Careless driving, and issued a ticket. Other sites (TMZ) are touting this as "charges are coming". A news conference is apperently schedule for 3:00 p.m. by the Florida Highway Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Adultery is still pretty stigmatized in the gentlemanly world of golf.
    That, is funny.

Not saying any of these fellows are adulterers, but, they do have track records... Note that just because someone has been married multiple times does not make them adulterers. I'm just sayin... these gents sprung to mind immediately...

Lee Trevino - married three times, father to six children
    John Daly - married four times
    Greg Norman - married twice, on the market again
    Tommy Armour III - notorious playboy
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by SGH View Post
    Nike is far bigger than Tiger. And is far bigger than golf as well. This won't be good for them, but I doubt there will be any material consequences.

They still have LeBron, Federer/Nadal, Jeter, Tom Brady, and a near endless list of others to carry their brand.
    And thats just their N American individual contracts. They have many many high profile international players and teams including France and England National Rugby Teams, a huge presence in marathon running and Track and Field and a huge presence in the mammoth market of Soccer, including Man Utd, Arsenal, Barcelona, Juventus etc etc etc and probably the biggest of all, kit suppliers to the Brazil National Team.

I would speculate that Golf is a TINY percentage of their revenue worldwide BUT their golf product is totally associated with Tiger Woods, despite the succes of Kim, Cink, Casey etc.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    That, is funny.

Not saying any of these fellows are adulterers, but, they do have track records... Note that just because someone has been married multiple times does not make them adulterers. I'm just sayin... these gents sprung to mind immediately...

You forgot Hal Sutton, aka Halimony
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    You forgot Hal Sutton, aka Halimony
    Ah yes!

"Be the right wife today!"
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

That, is funny.

lol...don't foget Nick Faldo too...he had 3 seperate affairs and famously had his Porsche smashed up with a golf club by one of his lovers (well it was famous in England at least)...hold on, that scenario sounds a tad familiar...

Ah yes!

3Jack that is just too funny mate, I just laughed out loud in front of my computer

News conference on golf channel right now. Careless driving charges, but no other charges will be pursued.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Ah yes!

Oh - I forgot Nick Faldo:

Faldo: What would you like for our anniversary honey?

Faldo's Wife: A divorce

Faldo: I wasn't thinking of something quite so expensive
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post

Oh - I forgot Nick Faldo:

Faldo: What would you like for our anniversary honey?

Faldo's Wife: A divorce

Faldo: I wasn't thinking of something quite so expensive

and repeat 3 times...lol

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    Per the 2009 Annual Report, NIKE Golf brought in $648.30M of revenue the company's total $19,176M in revenues - or the equivalent of 3.3%.

Assuming Tiger accounts for 75% of all golf sales, and these sales are eliminated as a result of a bruised public image, Nike woul realize a 2.5% decrease in revenues.

So I think they'll be okay.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    A news conference is apperently schedule for 3:00 p.m. by the Florida Highway Patrol.
    So, if all of the speculation from the Net (including this thread) is true, we should also expect the FHP to find Tiger responsible for or guilty of:
    • Adultery
    • Assault
    • Withholding evidence
    • Obstruction of Justice
    • Criminal mischief
    • Resisting arrest without violence
    • Driving under the influence
    • The Kennedy assassination
    • Michael Jackson's death
    • Pearl Harbour
    • Causing the economic down-turn
    • Jean van der Velde's British Open melt down
    • Phil's bad decision making
    I think that pretty much covers everything that I've heard Tiger accused of in the past 4 days........

Per the 2009 Annual Report, NIKE Golf brought in $648.30M of revenue the company's total $19,176M in revenues - or the equivalent of 3.3%.

Assuming Tiger accounts for 75% of all golf sales, and these sales are eliminated as a result of a bruised public image, Nike woul realize a 2.5% decrease in revenues.

I just speculated (sorry...more speculation) that golf was a tiny % of Nikes business just knowing a little about global sports and using common sense but how did you find out such exact numbers so quickly...thats pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    So, if all of the speculation from the Net (including this thread) is true, we should also expect the FHP to find Tiger responsible for or guilty of:
    • Adultery
    • Assault
    • Withholding evidence
    • Obstruction of Justice
    • Criminal mischief
    • Resisting arrest without violence
    • Driving under the influence
    • The Kennedy assassination
    • Michael Jackson's death
    • Pearl Harbour
    • Causing the economic down-turn
    • Jean van der Velde's British Open melt down
    • Phil's bad decision making
    I think that pretty much covers everything that I've heard Tiger accused of in the past 4 days........
    Oh come on mate...Pearl Harbour is a bit harsh, the poor bloke wasn't even born...I think I need to get back to work....

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

These are two fairly large assumptions. While Tiger may have been the only reason that Nike's first clubs sold, their clubs are now of high enough quality and reputation to sell based on their own merit.

Thread Information