100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar

Best single golf shot in your life?

Ah, the things about golf that keep us coming back for more. The dreaded "great shot of the round".

Anyone have any stories about their greatest shot or shots of their illustrious golf careers? (I say "shot or shots" because apparently you can have more than one......news to me!)

Personally, I think back to a round I was having about 2 years ago. We were playing in a tournament, and our team was struggling through the first 6 holes. The 7th is a par 5, about 475, and straight downwind. I hit my drive, slightly heeled it into the wind at a mighty 235. Terrific. I'm sitting about 240 out into a 35km wind that is dead into my face. Everyone else lays up in good shape, and I didn't come out to lay up. I took out my 3 wood and hammered a laser over the hill to the hidden green. I thought it was short. Apon arrival to the green, i see my ball less than half a revolution from draining in two. A 240 yard into the wind 3 wood to a kick in eagle.

Finally, I had figured out this game.

Funny that no one else in my group did, and we really whacked it around the course after that. Including myself.

I also had an ace a couple years back, but i thought i hit it short and it one hopped in the cup. Go figure. The best shots are the ones that do EXACTLY what you want them to.

Anyone else wanna chime in with theirs?

Thanks guys,

rockford35

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    My best shot was the Ace I had this year.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    My ace in 1999 baby!!!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

beatnik58

Best shot

I had a straight 325 yd drive at Cedarhill yesterday. I'd have to say that was my best shot ever.

beatnik58

Best shot

I had a straight 325 yd drive at Cedarhill yesterday. I'd have to say that was my best shot ever.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    My best shot was probably back when I was 13 (8 years ago). I was playing with 2 of my cousins and I had hooked a drive on the 15th hole at Renfrew into a divot of some other slasher. I topped the next shot, a 3 wood, to about 230 out. I then stepped up and hit a nice draw around the trees into the cup for an Eagle. It was almost a year before my next Eagle.

The funny thing was I kept telling people that I dropped a 230 yard 3 wood on a Par 5, and they kept thinking it was a Deuce. Suckers.

-------

My best drunken shot occured last year in a tournament. I don't actually remember hitting the drive but I had fallen off the Beer cart on the 15th hole at Renfrew and tore the Rotator cuff in my arm (I found this out the next day at the hospital). But I managed to step up 3 holes later and blast a 340 yard drive down the pipe to take home the Long Drive Award that day.

As a side note to falling off the beer cart, I was holding 3 beer, NONE WERE INJURED!

3 Wood LongHitta is on a distinguished road LongHitta's Avatar
    My best shot ever had to have been around 7 years ago at Glengarry, #13 is long par 5 dog-leg left. I hit a Beautiful power-draw over the dog-leg, probably flew it over 280, with about 50 yd roll, it was beautiful, plus it set me up with a 200 yd iron shot to the green and I eagled it. "Not bad for a 16 year old" my playing partner said.

My most memorable shot though was also at Glengarry, #11 par 4 go right along side that par 5, and its a tricky dog-leg right up a hill over a creek, with hydro lines. I hit an iron from around 150 yards out probably, it ricocheted off one of hydro wires, went even higher, and then I lost sight of it in the sun, when we went up the hill, the ball was 2 inches from the cup. I said "Do I have to take my free drop still?"

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I got at least three:

1- Ace on the 8th at Eagle creek.
    2- Ace on the 9th at the Dome.
    3- 500 yards par 5 dog leg right. I hit 3 wood left OB. Reload 3 wood straight down the pipe. Hit 3 wood from the fairway to a back pin. The ball stopped 6 inches behind the pin. Kick in for par. What makes this even sweeter is that I was playing an Intersectional-qualifying tourney and I qualified by one stroke.
    Last edited by mberube; 06-30-2004 at 08:52 AM.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    My opening tee shot at the Old Course on the morning of my wedding day. I could barely feel my legs and feet because I was numb with excitement. There's 6 of us standing on the tee, 3 golfers and 3 caddies, and all I can think is "please God, don't top it". I hit a nice little 3-wood draw down the left side.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    3- 500 yards par 5 dog leg right. I hit 3 wood left OB. Reload 3 wood straight down the pipe. Hit 3 wood from the fairway to a back pin. The ball stopped 6 inches behind the pin. Kick in for par. What makes this even sweeter is that I was playing an Intersectional-qualifying tourney and I qualified by one stroke.
    Great shot mbreube.
    I also hit a 3 wood from 230 to green from the short rough at Manderly now C #7 par five. Landed 10 feet short of pin and had my second and last eagle yet. I have been trying most of par 5 with my second shot, no luck for eagle yet but have landed a few on the green without making the eagle putt. All together this trial and error has cost me more shots than gaining me any, but I still remember that one.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    because I was numb with excitement.
    She must be reading this forum too.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

7 Iron class1947 is on a distinguished road

Cool Great Shots

#1 Hole in one-- late fall ,20-30k/h wind blowing very cool day with very few golfers on course but my patient wife did witness the final result .(I did not see it go in there was a knoll near front of green that obscured the pin)

# 2 Shot --180 yard eagle (par 4)at Montebello hole #11 green is slightly elevated and again did not see it go in and was grumbling as I neared green and could not find my ball but lo and behold it had disappeared for a 2 !!!

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    The best shots I have taken are always on the first tee when I am skipping out on work. Even if I put it directly into the woods.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Back in 1966 when I hit my first straight shot ! Fell in love with the game!
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Red face My best shot-kinda funny-sort of :(

You might find this interesting (maybe not).

I played 2 summers ago in a mini tourney my friend called the Intergalactic championship in Niagara Falls.
    Overall I played above average but at the turn for hole 10 there was a our group of 8 people along with 8 others playing their own tourney.
    I had honors.
    I didn't feel good.
    With 16 people staring I felt pressured on the dogle par 4.

1st shot: a topped driver that barely made it over the creek 90 yards ahead.
    2nd shot: a topped fairway wood barely up the hill, maybe 60 yards.
    3rd shot: a blasted fairway wood, slightly right, into bushes.....into water!!
    4th shot: a 7 iron 146 yards...on the green...rolling...rolling..in the cup!!!! yey!!!

I won the tournament by one stroke. When I told the group behind me later, that I got a 5 on the par 4, they said it was impossible, they saw every shot, including the water ball, but didnt see the last (too far away).
    That shot will always mean more, even if i get an ace one day, because of all the sadness that came before it, and the huge grin that followed. shark
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    You might find this interesting (maybe not).
    Great story.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    The best shot I've ever hit was about 3 years ago at Pakenham #6 - Lake Course, par 3. I just came off a bad score on the previous par five and was quite anxious (not to so angry) to do well. I hit a 9-iron hit the pin and destroyed half of the cup. Unfortunately, it never went in for an ACE but it was a tap-in birdie. Closest I ever got to an ACE.

Also, last year at Predator #8, 200 yds par 3, I left a tee shot within half a foot.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Thanks! Shark
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

3 Wood Evil Chris is on a distinguished road Evil Chris's Avatar
    A putt, approx 45 feet from the top tier of a two-tiered green. I had to strike the ball at a 90 degree angle away from the cup, and I really had to just tap it. It went exactly where I pictured it would go. I was amazed.
    [url=http://www.zeemine.com/]Zeemine[/url]

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Best shot... well, many moons ago at the Chaudiere. I think it was the 13th hole, par 5 going east. I flailed a driver left into the adjacent fairway. Flogged a 3 wood two fairways to the right. Then pured a 9 iron to about 2 feet for the first birdie of my life.

Best score. Number 13 on the original Emerald. Driver over all the crap directly at the green. 30 yard chip down into the bowl. Eagle. First (and only) eagle of my life.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Best shot - Mapleview #8 , a short 90 degree dogleg. My tee shot was 60 yards from the hole in the center of the fairway past the corner. I hit a lob wedge right in front of the hole, one hop and in for my first and only eagle! It was in August 1999 and it seems soooo long ago.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Best shot or at least most memerable was my first eagle ever. It was at Mont Cascades #6. I hit 3 wood off the tee to about 130 yrds in, and hit my second shot in the jar for a 2

Next in line would have to be a birdie 4 at Pakenham a few years ago. Hit a good drive down the middle, topped my 2nd shot, topped my third shot to about 105 yrds to the pin and then holed out from there for birdie with a sandwedge.

How the golf gods work I'll never know, but it keeps us coming back.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Had me fooled. I thought it would have been the CTP at Trillium on Saturday.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Perhaps the most exciting shot would be my 35 foot putt up to the second tier (on a diagonal line over the swail) on Meadows South 9 for birdie to cutt Matt off and halve my first match of this year's OGT Ryder Cup.
    That was indeed sweet.

Putter gn2 is on a distinguished road
    Best shot ever was an 8 iron on the 527 yard 18th at Colonnade. I hit a single shot in my golfing life EXACTLY as I intended. Slight draw which landed in the hollow of the green in the front, curled up about 12 feet to the hole and dropped in for an eagle.
    I debated about hard 9 or easy 8 and hit the 8 just exactly as I'd pictured. Stuff like that is what makes this game irresistable.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    topped my 2nd shot, topped my third shot to about 105 yrds to the pin and then holed out from there for birdie with a sandwedge.
    Reminds me of one of my few birdies in Florida. Course was Sugar Bush or Sugar Mill south of Daytona, it was one of those courses built with a suburb around it. Medium par four and I drive it onto the driveway median. There were no OB stakes on the hole and no notes on the scorecard, so I played it off the median, skulled it into the fairway. Hit a 7 iron from the fairway which bounced, hit the rake on the left sand trap, redirected 90ish degrees toward the hole, hit the back of the pin and fell in for a birdie.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Best Shot Ever

If the best shot is intended to reflect the best result, then mine was a doubler eagle 2 on one of the par 5s at the Riverview Golf Course in Welland, Ontario. I still remember the shot eventhough it occurred more 30 years ago. After hitting a driver off the tee, I hit a 2 iron from 220 yards (youth has its advantages ... I'd be hitting a 5 wood now). The ball landing on the green and made a bee-line into the cup. Fantastic, especially considering that we were playing $1 a point and a double eagle was worth 8 points or $24 from my compatriots. Riverview was the site of some strange rounds for me. In another money game, I shot even par without parring any hole. 9 birdies and 9 bogeys graced the card!

Now if the best shot is intended to reflect the most satisfying, then I offer up this next one. Playing in a match in Amherst, Nova Scotia I was down 3 after having shot even par on the front. The par 4 10th hole is a dogleg left with water protecting the left side of the fairway. Trees line the fairway right and extend about 120 feet or so to the 18th fairway. In may zeal to drive it over the water left, I lost my timing and sliced it into the middle of the woods right. Having concluded that my ball would never find daylight from its forested perch, I declared the ball unplayable. I then took a drop some 70 yards away on the far side of the 18th fairway, some 200 yds from the cup. The distant drop was necessary so that I could give the ball time to get over the very tall trees that separated the 10th and 18th holes. While all of this was going on, my opponent, Bill, was laughing loudly. To make a long story somewhat shorter, I hit a towering 5 iron (yes, the ball goes a lot further when you're younger) that settled nicely 2 feet from the pin. A short putt later, and - voila - an adventuresome par. That is a shot that I will never forget... neither will Bill. He was so shocked that he lost his momentum and I was fortunate enough to win the match.

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    Best shot! i mostly remember the bad ones, there's just too many

i guess my best shot would be my only ace..it happend several years back when i played at the chaudierre with the assistant pro's. (good thing i was a minor & saved on beer ). it was on #3 with a six iron at a back right flag. sad thing is, i never saw it go in as the trap was in the way

Thread Information