CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Bertuzzi Charged With Assault!

Well, Bertuzzi is charged with assault causing bodily harm for his attack on Steve Moore. It isn't the first time an athlete has been charged for actions during a game, but usually nothing happens to him anyways.

Do you guys think anything will happen to Big Bert, or will he walk away with a slap on the wrist?

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

7 Iron owenb is on a distinguished road owenb's Avatar
    Think we will see him walk. A good lawyer could argue that you can't prove when he hurt his neck. The hit or the pile on him on the ice.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    it's sad.... very sad to see this happen. Don't players sign waivers for this stuff??

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    it's sad.... very sad to see this happen. Don't players sign waivers for this stuff??
    They sign waivers for "assumption of risk" that cover incidents that are somewhat likely to happen over the course of a regular game. The Bertuzzi sucker-punch would not be covered in that. Things like "puck breaks teeth" are covered in those waiver agreements.

dan

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    This whole thing is bull. you step on the ice at such a high level, and, although you don't necessarily expect it, you know that this kind of stuff can happen. If you start charging these guys for a sucker-punch, what's to stop prosecutors from charging individuals any time someone gets injured. It starts a slippery slope that is bad for the sport, and has little effect on society at large. And it is after all the job of the crown to protect society. Punishing bertuzzi protects no one

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    This whole thing is bull. you step on the ice at such a high level, and, although you don't necessarily expect it, you know that this kind of stuff can happen. If you start charging these guys for a sucker-punch, what's to stop prosecutors from charging individuals any time someone gets injured. It starts a slippery slope that is bad for the sport, and has little effect on society at large. And it is after all the job of the crown to protect society. Punishing bertuzzi protects no one
    What?????????? Man, you're the first person to chime off with this pro-violence point of view since the whole thing happened.

What's to stop prosecutors from charging people each time they get injured? Simple, the release forms that were mentioned above. Assumed risk covers anything within reason that could happen in a hockey game. Pucks in the face, sticks in the nuts, even injuries stemming from fights.

Sucker punches are extremely dangerous. I used to fight a lot, both in hockey and just in day-to-day life. I can attest to the damage a sucker-punch can afflict, having been nailed with two of them in the past. You don't react, so you end up taking the full brunt of the punch, and nobody would try to sucker punch you in the hamstring. It's usually aimed at the face or head. You can kill a person by doing this.

I realize you're entitled to your opinion jonf, but your unique stance on the issue really raised my eyebrows in puzzlement.

Dan

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I'm very happy that Bertuzzi is getting charged. Maybe it'll turn out like the McSorley thing and maybe it won't but at least it shows players are NOT above the law when it comes to extremely violent and dangerous hits on the ice...

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Thumbs down Where's the bull****?

This whole thing is bull. you step on the ice at such a high level, and, although you don't necessarily expect it, you know that this kind of stuff can happen.
    Since when is a sucker punch an expected part of any mainstream organized sporting event? There is no way that Moore would have expected that when he stepped on the ice that night. The physical act inflicted on Moore is NOT part of the game and should be subject to punishment external to the game, especially given the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by jobf
    If you start charging these guys for a sucker-punch, what's to stop prosecutors from charging individuals any time someone gets injured. It starts a slippery slope that is bad for the sport, and has little effect on society at large.
    Actually it propagates the metality that high paid violence is acceptable in sports. Get back to playing the game.

And it is after all the job of the crown to protect society. Punishing bertuzzi protects no one
    Punishing Bertuzzi makes a precedent that this kind of activity will not be tolerated not only by the league but also by the society that buys the tickets that pay his salary. In my opinion the league punishment was not stringent enough.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

so where is the line drawn?

If he had of paralysed him or killed him, would that be ok? He broke the guys neck and he may never play hockey again.

7 Iron Geee is on a distinguished road
    I agree with the fact that Bertuzzi is charged but if Moore would have respond to his act and face him, nothing of that would of happened.

Moore injured Naslund and couldn't face Bertuzzi like a man. Bertuzzi was only trying to make justice.

I don't agree how it ended up but Moore is a big whimp!!!!!

J-F

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    I agree with the fact that Bertuzzi is charged but if Moore would have respond to his act and face him, nothing of that would of happened.

Moore injured Naslund and couldn't face Bertuzzi like a man. Bertuzzi was only trying to make justice.

J-F
    What a load of horse hoowie!!!

How about turning it around: If Bertuzzi accepted that Moore having to fight earlier in the game (can't remember with who) as recompense for the Naslund hit (as per the "code") then the incident wouldn't have happened either. What was Moore supposed to do? Take on the entire Vancouver lineup one idiot at a time???

J-F
    WHAT?????????????? The fact that Bertuzzi threw a sucker punch means that Moore didn't have a chance to respond like a man. Bertuzzi's the ass-clown that acted like a big wimp and not a man. Moore injured Naslund, sure. But I challenge you to be so accurate with a bodycheck to intentionally injure a guy by hitting him in the head with your hip!!!! Unless you're some kind of ninja, I doubt you could do it.

Man, I can't believe there are actually people who support Bertuzzi in this.....

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    What a load of horse hoowie!!!

How about turning it around: If Bertuzzi accepted that Moore having to fight earlier in the game (can't remember with who) as recompense for the Naslund hit (as per the "code") then the incident wouldn't have happened either. What was Moore supposed to do? Take on the entire Vancouver lineup one idiot at a time???
    Moore fought Brad May and kicked his ass.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    WHAT?????????????? The fact that Bertuzzi threw a sucker punch means that Moore didn't have a chance to respond like a man. Bertuzzi's the ass-clown that acted like a big wimp and not a man. Moore injured Naslund, sure. But I challenge you to be so accurate with a bodycheck to intentionally injure a guy by hitting him in the head with your hip!!!! Unless you're some kind of ninja, I doubt you could do it.

Man, I can't believe there are actually people who support Bertuzzi in this.....

Dan
    I didn't say I was suporting Bertuzzi sucker punch but Bertuzzi was running after Moore for a good 30 sec before throwing that stupid punch!!!!

I think I would love to play hockey against you!!!!

The only thing I'm saying is that Moore wouldn't face the consequences of his act!!!!

That's it we know the rest, Bertuzzi couldn't hold it and did something stupid!!!

Just to know, how old is Brad May, 40 something I believe, not a big challenge if you ask me!!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

he's 33

6"1', 210 lbs. not exactly a lightweight.

Really, the hit on Naslund was questionable. Vancouver took offense because a) he got injured and b) he is a star player.

I'm sure Bertuzzi is regretting everything he did, but it doesn't change the fact he did it. If Moore never plays again, be prepared for a big civil suit as well.

I didn't say I was suporting Bertuzzi sucker punch but Bertuzzi was running after Moore for a good 30 sec before throwing that stupid punch!!!!

I think I would love to play hockey against you!!!!

The only thing I'm saying is that Moore wouldn't face the consequences of his act!!!!

That's it we know the rest, Bertuzzi couldn't hold it and did something stupid!!!

Just to know, how old is Brad May, 40 something I believe, not a big challenge if you ask me!!!
    First of all, why should Moore have to answer to Bertuzzi if he injured Naslund (by accident)?

Secondly, any time you want to lace em up and play hockey, I'm totally fine with that. I don't play like a goon though, so the only way there'll be a fight is if you sucker punch me.

Thirdly, Brad May is 32 years old, and a known fighter. Moore is not a fighter, but a fairly big boy. Don't see your point here. How many times should Moore have to fight because Naslund couldn't keep his balance and got his bell rung with a clean check? Is it over now, or does he actually have to be killed or permanently paralyzed before the score is settled?

Dan

First of all, why should Moore have to answer to Bertuzzi if he injured Naslund (by accident)?

Secondly, any time you want to lace em up and play hockey, I'm totally fine with that. I don't play like a goon though, so the only way there'll be a fight is if you sucker punch me.

Thirdly, Brad May is 32 years old, and a known fighter. Moore is not a fighter, but a fairly big boy. Don't see your point here. How many times should Moore have to fight because Naslund couldn't keep his balance and got his bell rung with a clean check? Is it over now, or does he actually have to be killed or permanently paralyzed before the score is settled?

Dan
    Oups my mistake with Brad May, I thought of Rob Ray...

Well it's a known fact that if you hit a star player no matter how you'll have to face the music.... I don't agree the way Bertuzzi handle it though

On anotehr note, are you playing in a league during the winter??? I'm with the labatt blue league in Hull... BBut might be looking for a league this winter because my team might not be back....

Big_duck
    Again I ask: What was Moore supposed to do? Take on the entire Vancouver lineup one idiot at a time???

May took him on end of story.

P.S. Vancouver was making a mountain out of a mole hill in the first place ... Referee: Clean Hit. League Review: Clean Hit. This was the SECOND game between the two after the original (non)incident.

On anotehr note, are you playing in a league during the winter??? I'm with the labatt blue league in Hull... BBut might be looking for a league this winter because my team might not be back....
    I might play Traveller's league this year if I can join a team, or maybe Minto league. Not sure, but would definitely love to play... With two little kids, it's tough to find the time, but hopefully I can think of something.

Dan

I do not support bertuzzi. That kind of sucker punch is unacceptable. HOWEVER, let the league deal with it. I don't think that criminal law can effectively deal with such an incident, and should leave the league to police itself

I do not support bertuzzi. That kind of sucker punch is unacceptable. HOWEVER, let the league deal with it. I don't think that criminal law can effectively deal with such an incident, and should leave the league to police itself
    What you are proposing is impossible. What if a guy kills someone on the ice? How would the league handle that? Put him in the penalty box for life?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Again I ask: What was Moore supposed to do? Take on the entire Vancouver lineup one idiot at a time???

May took him on end of story.

P.S. Vancouver was making a mountain out of a mole hill in the first place ... Referee: Clean Hit. League Review: Clean Hit. This was the SECOND game between the two after the original (non)incident.
    If it has to be one by one, it will be one by one.

As a player, if one of my guys gets hurt we all want revenge, that's stupid but we are like that. It's hockey. Remember Detroit Colorado, everone wanted Claude Lemieux for his check on Drapper I believe. He faced them all.... It's stupid I agree but it's the way it's palyed... gotta love hockey... I love it even with these low blows...

If it has to be one by one, it will be one by one.

As a player, if one of my guys gets hurt we all want revenge, that's stupid but we are like that. It's hockey. Remember Detroit Colorado, everone wanted Claude Lemieux for his check on Drapper I believe. He faced them all.... It's stupid I agree but it's the way it's palyed... gotta love hockey... I love it even with these low blows...
    Claude Lemieux never faced anyone man. He doesn't fight!!! He took a few punches from a few guys, but was always expecting them, and always turtled like a little sissy. That's how much class he had. Total loser!!!

If you like this kind of stuff, I doubt I'd enjoy playing hockey with you...

Dan

What you are proposing is impossible. What if a guy kills someone on the ice? How would the league handle that? Put him in the penalty box for life?

Dan
    What if someone dies because they're tripped and break their neck falling into the boards? The play was against the rules, but, few would consider it assault? Perhaps I don't know enough about these waivers to speak properly on the subject, but it seems to me, that legally, prosecutors could just as easily charge for assault in a case like this.

Claude Lemieux never faced anyone man. He doesn't fight!!! He took a few punches from a few guys, but was always expecting them, and always turtled like a little sissy. That's how much class he had. Total loser!!!

If you like this kind of stuff, I doubt I'd enjoy playing hockey with you...

Dan
    He saw all the punches because he was facing these guys not running away. Moore knew Bertuzzi was after him. If ever someone if pursuing me like that on the ice, I will turn and face him and deal with it. It doesn't mean fight or pumch back but newver leave you're back open. But I agree with you Bertuzzi's punch was stupid.

But what cause more dammage, the puch, the way he throw Moore on the ice or the pile-up???

But what cause more dammage, the puch, the way he throw Moore on the ice or the pile-up???
    It doesn't matter what causes more damage. He punched Moore from behind, and you could tell that Moore was out cold. Nobody threw anyone to the ice, Bertuzzi was driving his face into the ice because he's a cheap shot player. How often does Bertuzzi fight? Hardly ever!!! Leave that to May and this never had to happen. Moore already fought May and beat his ass up.

The way you talk about the whole incident it's like you believe Moore did something wrong to Naslund. Watch the replay again. There was nothing malicious about Moore's hit on Naslund. Unfortunately Naslund lost his footing right before Moore hit him. Otherwise it's a clean, shoulder to shoulder hit. Ended up being a hip to the head, which as I said before, is next to impossible to do on purpose.

Dan

What if someone dies because they're tripped and break their neck falling into the boards? The play was against the rules, but, few would consider it assault? Perhaps I don't know enough about these waivers to speak properly on the subject, but it seems to me, that legally, prosecutors could just as easily charge for assault in a case like this.
    That is not death caused by excessive violence, and thus would fall under the "assumed risk" category of offences. There is no malicious intent, thus would not likely yield too much in the way of criminal charges.

There was a case back a few years ago, where a Canadian player who was playing in Italy speared a guy in the chest with his stick. The guy had a heart condition, and the incident ended up killing him. The offending player was charged with manslaughter, but the law is different in Italy, as are the rules governing insurance waivers.

It's very complicated, the waiver of damages, but I have seen the generic version of the contract that players sign with regards to it. Lindros had to sign a waiver that absolved the NHL of any damage resulting from any further play, because no insurace company was willing to take on the risk... Can't say I blame them!!! His skull is like an eggshell now!

Dan

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    I'm very happy that Bertuzzi is getting charged. Maybe it'll turn out like the McSorley thing and maybe it won't but at least it shows players are NOT above the law when it comes to extremely violent and dangerous hits on the ice...
    Ditto...uncalled for game violence is inexcusable. So whats-her-name (assuming guilt) shouldn't be charged for hiring a hit man to knee cap the other whats-her-name figure skater.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    Ditto...uncalled for game violence is inexcusable. So whats-her-name (assuming guilt) shouldn't be charged for hiring a hit man to knee cap the other whats-her-name figure skater.
    Tonya Harding on Nancy Kerrigan? She was charged, and I believe did some jail time. That jail time may have been the result of one of her many other legal transgressions however....

Dan

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    I can see it now...... 18th hole Sunday U.S open Pinehurst #2, Vijay and Mickelson walking down the fairway side by side, tied at -8 under. Phil flashes Vijay a big toothy grin when **kabiff*** Vijay unloads on him... later confessing that the stress of pro golf got to him. The golfing world shudders,

Thankfully golf is still a gentlemens game

"Hockey! That's not hockey, thats wrasslin with skates on."

Thread Information