100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swing Plane

3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road

Swing Plane

Long story short.....I was doing well with a HCP of 9 when a buddy told me to finish high and get more out of my compact swing........well, now I have developed a push-block to the left (leftie) and it appears to be because my swing plane is too steep going back and even steeper going forward! The hcp has ballooned to 15+ but more importantly the confidence factor has eroded on my ball striking.....any suggestions on getting back to plane......especially on the follow thru?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    My advice, just go back to what feels natural.

I have one of the flattest swing planes on the planet. I tried the "more upright" experiment for a couple of years and sprayed the ball all over the place. As soon as I went back to my naturally flat plane I immediately started hitting the ball better.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by cvclub View Post
    Long story short.....I was doing well with a HCP of 9 when a buddy told me to finish high and get more out of my compact swing........well, now I have developed a push-block to the left (leftie) and it appears to be because my swing plane is too steep going back and even steeper going forward! The hcp has ballooned to 15+ but more importantly the confidence factor has eroded on my ball striking.....any suggestions on getting back to plane......especially on the follow thru?
    There are varying interpretations of what FLAT or UPRIGHT swing planes are. Below is a pic of a golfer at the top on perfect plane, neither flat nor upright. How does your top of backswing position compare?

From this position the hands/arms should move back towards the camera, like Tiger's do, in order to be on the ideal downswing plane. Most golfers hands/arms move out at this point, but they must move back first, then down and out.

Moe Norman once said about the downswing plane - "The flatter the better."

BTW: The club face squares up "naturally" when the hands come around and inside, through impact, rather than down the line and up.
    Attached Images

3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road
    Interesting observation....I would say my club position is more like tigers than the other pic......sometimes my club crosses over my shoulder but I am trying to correct that. My first move is probably down versus back .....fyi, my ball flight is too low even with irons.....decent distance but too low......I will try and take a camera view to verify.....

Thread Information