100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Can't Read Photo Cds.

I have a problem with which I need help. I burned a couple of data (photos) CDs using Roxio Creator DE. I used a drag and drop method to identify the photos that I wanted to burn onto the discs. The program then did its thing, and the discs were burned. I checked them on my computer and everything was alright. However, the person to whom I gave them could not read them on his computer. The computer did not recognize any data on the discs. I just checked a spare disc that I had also prepared and could not read it on my wife's laptop.

There is one common feature for both computers that couldn't read the discs. They have read only ability. You can't burn a disc with either of them. Why this should make any difference I do not know.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Here is a bit of additional information, lest you need it. My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate in a Dell Studio XPS 435 MT. The discs that I used are Verbatim CD-R.

Thanks for the help.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    mike, I am not an expert, but there are varying kinds of cd's - cd-r, cd+r, cd-rw, etc. perhaps they can't read the format you wrote on their readers.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thanks, for the suggestion. It had not occurred to me that the CDs themselves could be the source of the problem. I will look into that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    mike, I am not an expert, but there are varying kinds of cd's - cd-r, cd+r, cd-rw, etc. perhaps they can't read the format you wrote on their readers.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Mike,

You may want to ensure that you have checked off "Finalize Disc" or something along those lines in the burning software. If you do not check that off, you are eseentially making a disc that you can add stuff to, however plain CD-ROMs may not be able to read them as they are still "open" for writing.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thanks, Dave. I burned two new discs using the Windows program and the Roxio program. I couldn't figure out if I finalized the disc that was created with the Windows program, but I certainly finalized the one that Roxio created. My computer reads each of them. When I tried looking at them on my wife's laptop (she only has a DVD drive (read only) on her computer. Not only does it not let me see the photos, it doesn't recognize the existence of a disc in the drive. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Mike,

You may want to ensure that you have checked off "Finalize Disc" or something along those lines in the burning software. If you do not check that off, you are eseentially making a disc that you can add stuff to, however plain CD-ROMs may not be able to read them as they are still "open" for writing.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Is it because her DVD drive cannot read the CD-R you burned? Possibility exists she can only read DVD's, not CD's.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Problem solved - I think. The program failed to "finalize" the burn. I've rectified that, and the CDs can be read. Thanks for the suggestions.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Glad to hear Mike (Sorry I've been away...)
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thread Information