100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road

Portable GPS Recommendations?

Thinking of getting a Portable GPS for my traveling. I have no experience on such units so any recommendation on features is appreciated.

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    You talking about a Golf GPS or a car GPS?

Non-golf.. Driving within Canada/States

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I bought a TomTom from Futureshop in the spring as I have to do travelling for work quite often. It always gets me where I'm going but sometimes in a roundabout manner. (It brought me to the Upper East side of Vancouver when looking for my downtown Hotel - which was scary - it turns out the street I was looking for was a split road.)

It also recommended driving left off the top of a bridge interchange in Houston.

Both of these would have been avoided if I had just done a look at the map function before leaving.

It occasionally (twice) tells me to get off a highway and then right back on.

One feature I really like is when it tells you to turn left or right it tells you which lane to get into. (And in Montreal, it tells you which lane of the highways to get into.)

I've used a Magellen and the TomTom and find both are about the same - and I wouldn't drive in a strange city without it.

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    I've had the same experiances as Stevek, and I too own a Tom Tom..sometime when comming off a rural road onto a highway it thinks I missed the on ramp and starts telling me to turn around and get on the next exit. But it eventually catches up, I think it just has something to do with the closeness of the two roads and it can't tell the difference until a few seconds later.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    If you have an iphone i recomend Navigon, awsome app, will go up against any stand alone device.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    Garmin

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I have a Garmin

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Can't beat a Garmin for maps, points of interest, and routing. Mine has never steered me wrong.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I use Garmin maps in my smartphone. Don't leave home without it. Betty knows where she's going.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

1 Iron kekchose12 is on a distinguished road
    I was in your situation earlier this spring and after reading some reviews I bought the Garmin 255W which was on sale at that time. I certainly do not regret it and I recommend it. Just saw that it is on sale at tigerdirect at a great price too (hope my pasted url works).

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Costco also has the follow up model on sale.
    Whatever you buy, just make sure that you buy one with speaking directions.
    I used it extensively in the States and the wife also swears by it as she can't read a map (she also can't fold a map either

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I have the Garmin C550 is it has been awesome. A few of my friend has borrowed it and they really love it.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Garmin baby!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    You might consider consolidation ot devices. If you have an iphone, Navigon rocks, Google is going to bundle google navigation for free on all driod phones which ae about to hit the market. etc.etc.etc.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Gps

I'm old school... if it ain't on paper it can't be trusted... but I heard an ad yesterday for the Garmin Nuvii (?) which is both a cell phone and GPS. Sounds neet, but WAY over my skill level... http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-04-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: update

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Kiwi, if you can handle a computer, a Garmin will be a breeze.

Borrow one to try it... you will buy one.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Gps

Thanks for the vote of confidence. In my case it is just as much RTC (resistance to change) as it is fear of becoming too dependent on plastic, wires and batteries. On my last trip to MB SC with the guys the GPS let us down twice... although I know, like computers, garbage in, garbage out. We were in the back woods of North Carolina on some secondary roads looking for the course. GPS said go right... we did and ended up at the "back door" of the course... could see the club house but we were at the service entrance. All of us in the van were so intent staring at the little blue screen that we missed a 16' x 16' sign saying the course was in the opposite direction. Other time was when we had to go pick up one of our party at the airport. You could see the airport from our condo, but no buddy had to use his GPS... again ... the back door. If I have to travel for work or fun I just google and print it off... good old paper in hand... gives me a sense of security.

I have always used the TripTik from CAA for all my traveling to US/Canada. I noticed that some units will give you POI based on AAA info which is a plus.

Yet, would a GPS replace it such great tool?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The good thing about the TripTiks is it usually has up to date road construction information, which the GPS doesn't have unless you have the traffic option. The points of interest (gas, hotel, restaurants, etc) are just as good on the GPS.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Garmin all the way---we bought the 255w---199.00 including USB cord at Audiotronics. Not into Blue Tooth etc--just want to get where I'm going in strange cities. Up to date road closures-bluetooth etc are all add ons at additional cost.

Just read your last post----We use CAA trip tiks for the latest road closures as well. I don't think you need the GPS to get from one city to the next, but they are sure worth it for navigating somewhere your not familiar with.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Well, I got a Garmin 265w from Costco and just logged around 10,000 km on our trip south.. it's a nice complement to TripTiks. (specially when locating a restaurant or an attraction in a given city).

I found it hard to figure out the gas stations on route. (next exit or town) I used the TripTiks for that. It had a few issue when going around big cities. Other than that the unit was great.

Thread Information