CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Question Now that the handicapped season is over, how was your season?

While there is more golf to be played yet, there are no more official rounds left in the year. So, how did your season go? Did you meet your goals?

For me it was a great season, but the beginning of it was pretty tough. I started the season at 19.8, but by June 1st, I had ballooned all the way up to a 23.9. I could hardly get the ball off the ground, was hitting weak slices (I am usually a hook'er). Lowlight was hitting the par 3 14th at Pineview in regulation (May 25th) with the ball never getting more than 5 feet off the ground.

It was turning our to be a frustrating year. But I discovered a problem in weight distribution which helped immensly, and I took a lesson with Greg Foley which helped me gain some distance.

From June 1st, the handicap began its free fall and I finished the season at a 14.8 . A full 9.1 points in 5 months.

My goals for the season were:

Play more than 30 rounds - 55 rounds - Done
    End handicap in the 15 range - Done
    Lower Personal Best Score (87) - 82 at Mountain Creek - Done
    Get more birdies than last year (4) - 24 this year - Done
    Get an Eagle - Came within an inch on two occasions - Not Done
    Get more than two birdies on one round - 3 at Greensmere (Black/Gold)
    Gain some distance off the tee - Hard to attach a number to this, but done

Highlights of the year:

Playing 40+ rounds with Gropper - Awesome guy!
    Playing in the Ryder Cup - Will do it again for sure
    Making it to the final of the OG matchplay brackets
    Getting 3 birdies in one round (Played the par 3s under par that day)
    82 at Mountain Creek was played and although it is not a great score, I felt more in control than ever during a round

Will target for next season:

Play 50+ rounds
    More than one round in the 70s
    Lower handicap to 11 range
    Increase in GIR (18.7% overall this year) - Goal is for >30%
    The elusive first eagle
    Will need to improve and gain confidence in chipping again
    Last edited by rezadue; 11-04-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Great stuff Rezza. I didnt set any goals this year and just went out and played as much as I could. I did manage to bring my cap down to 12 so that is good.Looking forward to next year and improving on that.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    This year I played a bit more than last year, however it was still less than my previous 4-5 years. I still managed to get in 51 rounds (45 18 hole rounds) and averaged 84.2. I finally shot par for 9 holes and set a personal low for score (74) and handicap index (7.1) and I finished the year with 6.5 rounds down in Myrtle Beach in late October.

All in all a very good year!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Don't know how many rounds I got in but I balooned up to a 10.5 cap at the beginning of the year and over the last month and half have it down to a 5.2 which i'm happy with. I also wanted to really cut down on the ho'ing which I was successful with.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Nice going Reza!

I had a similar story. Started the year at 21.something and stayed there until end of July. Then, all of a sudden something clicked and I started scoring better. Ended the year at 16.0. The low round of the year was 85 (twice), which is a stroke over my personal best, but on the flip side I've been in the 80s 6-7 times this year, which is twice as often as the rest of my playing career. Scoring average around 92 is about 10 strokes better than last year. All in all, I'm really happy with the year I've had.

Next year I hope to average in the mid to high 80s and to finally break into 70s.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Started the year off at 12.4 finished the season at 10.4, feeling pretty good about that as my practice time was smaller then normal with 2 young kids at home, played 43 handicapped rounds and a few other tourny this year.

Last year got into the 70's once, this year been there 5 times shooting my lowest score, 78, 3 times.

Like Reza said we played together alot this year and that made for a awsome season, he's like my shorter, uglier twin!

Can't wait until next year!

Oh i also managed to bring down the club hoing, only changed one club all season long and no big plans for next year!
    Last edited by Gropper; 11-03-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Ummmmm, Reza..... Why do you have a pic of Indio as your Avitar???? If i'm not mistaken, that is me on the 17th Tee at Black Bear Ridge in Belleville.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hybrid latch is on a distinguished road
    Started the year off at 18 and decided that this was the year that I was going to commit to taking lessons. I took 6 or 7 lessons this year and it helped immensely - as well, seing my swing on video was a complete eye-opener. If there's anyone out there that hasn't taken a putting lesson, I cannot more strongly suggest doing so - this has been my area of greatest improvement - 3-putts are quite the rarity now for me.

Ended the year off at 12 and had my appendix rupture on me Hoping to drop down to single digits next year!
    Last edited by latch; 11-03-2009 at 03:42 PM.

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    2009 has been a good year for me. I have played 67 rounds of handicap recorded golf with an additional 15 rounds not recorded against my handicap (generally on courses not yet rated).

My handicap dropped from 18.2 down to 13.9. My scoring average was 89.1 down from approx 93 last year. My short game and ball striking has improved over the year. I have even stopped hitting trees that no one else has even seen.

My goal is to drop my handicap down to a high single digit next year, and I wish to be more consistent getting out of the tee with the driver and exercise better course management.

Bye.
    retread.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    played about 20 rounds, index stayed the same, had lots of fun, played with a bunch of new people. Game was consistent from a scoring perspective, had some good rounds in the low 80's only 1 game in the 90's (90) but didn't break 80 once. Shot a 39 on Greensmere black and and 36 on Emerald Links South but couldn't put together 2 9's.

My ho'ing was contained as well, same irons, wedges and putter but new driver, 3 wood, hybrid and bag. Don't see much changing for 2010. Honest.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Congrats REZA ... great job on the season.

Started off the year in the 12 range for handicap, but finished strong dropping to 9.7. I didn't reach my goal of 8 but I did however finish the season with my best golf ever. I really just want to keep playing as I'm in love with where my game is right now. We'll see how next year starts but I plan on hitting over the winter to keep things in shape.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    i had some 'memorable' shots this year. that's all i'm going to say.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I spent two years without having any clue about how to hit a golf ball, so my goal this year was to take some lessons and relearn the golf swing. Although I didn't get to play or practice as much as I would've liked, I stayed committed to what my pro was teaching me and it's starting to pay off. I actually make a shoulder turn now. Occasionally I can make a compact, inside to out swing that results in the ball doing exactly what I had intended for it to do. I very rarely have a wild slice off the tee anymore and so I am keeping my ball in play. Small victories but still, very satisfying. There is still a ton of room for improvement, but I am very happy with where my golf game is at the end of the season, compared to the beginning.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    And nice shooting there Reza, 14 handi? wow!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Started - 0.9
    Ended - 1.5
    High - 2.2
    Low - 0.3

The meteoric rise stems from mediocre chipping/pitching resulting in just less than 50% up and downs.

Won two seniors invitationals, but a disappointing T-6 in OVGA Seniors Championship, worst finish in 9 years played.

For 2010, 50th year of golf, I have a dream and I have a plan.

Continue to enjoy rules officiating at OVGA/Golf Quebec tournaments.

Congratulations to all those who made progress in 2009. It IS most satisfying.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I'm still laughing that he called it "handicapped" season. That pretty much describes my year right there!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    My golf objectives this year were to:
    1. play a round of golf at least once a week with my wife. Unfortunately, that didn't happen as her hip problems made that impossible.
    2. continue to have fun each and every time I play. Generally, my attitude was positive even when things were no going so well, though I still need to get better at controlling my temper.
    3. lower my handicap index to 2.5. My cap in early April was 4.7 and by September 15th, it had dropped to 2.3. However, as of November 1st it stood at 3.3. In short, I reached my target, but could not keep it there. I'll have to do better next year.
    4. play in the Ottawa Golf match against the boys from Toronto. This I did, and I enjoyed every minute. My partner, Mcgoo, and I played well together, and in the individual competition, going 7 up against my opponent after 7 holes was a definite rush.
    5. attempt to hit every shot with a clear idea of what I want to accomplish. That too improved, though not as much as I had hoped. There is room for improvement here. If that happens, the scores will come down.

Highlights and other observations:

Won the club championship.
    Improved my ability to hit the chip and pitch shots that hit the green and stop. This helped my scoring tremendously.
    While I don't hit the ball as far, I am much better at keeping it in play.
    Learned to take my lumps and not make high scores on a hole.
    Posted 108 rounds this year, and I am not done playing. Now that makes me smile.
    Best score: 69; worst: 84.
    Bested LobWedge on one leg in the NCGT Ryder Cup competition. I have never struck the ball so well (though not long) and scored so many birdies so quickly. I shouldn't smile about it, but I can't help myself.
    Made a lot of new golf friends.

I'm still thinking about my objectives for 2010. Two will certainly be to earn my way on to the NCGT Ryder Cup event as well as the OttawaGolf v. TGN Ryder Cup competition.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    My cap started this year at 14.3. It got down to 12.7 mid season, but is now back to 14.2. I must say the first half of the season was much more enjoyable than the last half!

74 rounds in the handicap system, so with the non handicapped games it's about 85 rounds, which is slightly down from last season due to the number of rainy days.

One over par on the back nine at Oaks Of Cobden was certainly the highlight of the year.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    That is a hell of an improvement in one summer of golf. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post

From June 1st, the handicap began its free fall and I finished the season at a 14.6 . A full 9.3 points in 5 months.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Started at 20, shot up during the summer to mid twenties and then lowered just in the last month back down to 19. I had back problems that really hampered my mid summer swing. It was not so much the pain as the anticipation of it during the follow through.

But on the good side I bagged my first eagle (Greensmere White #6) and broke 90 for the first time, YESTERDAY!! I had started going to the driving range on the way home once or twice a week and found that, combined with drug therapy for my back, has really helped in the past month.

For next year I will really have to work on distance control as with my back feeing better I'm finding I'm shooting past the greens more often then not.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Well I cannot best those improvements but mine were certainly toward the end of the season. Took lessons from Marc Levac in July/August and those adjustments cost me 2 full points on the HC but in time and with a lot of practice my play in the last couple of months has really improved, especially with the irons. That is why I went to see Marc. I also gained some distance with the irons and maybe the driver, about a full club but the end result was a personal best 77, and my HC down to 12 from 16 so I am very pleased. In the last couple of months I would be scoring 2 birdies/round fairly consistently all due to the improved ball striking and GIR. If it keeps up and my short game strength sticks around it should make for a great season in 2010. Congrats to all above, sounds like another productive year and Reza I am sorry that you could not add the title of OG Match Play Champ on your resume, next year, a rematch is appropriate.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I hit the single digits 9.6 sometime in June I believe. Then a combination of factors, my father's 80th birthday weekend, a long time buddy's bachelor party weekend and the Belleville trip excluded my participation in our club championship, and 2 qualifying rounds that have been important to me. I was lost with no goals left, and my swing followed. I am now floating around 10.8, but it has felt like much higher. Haven't shot in the 70s since june, and I've had a few in the 90s.
    Didn't play very well in Belleville, but that was a great weekend.
    I didn't beat hoolio straight up in stroke play, this has become a life goal I guess.
    Next year will be different.
    Andrew

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    My handicap did not move much. Was low 9's at beginning of season and ended at 8.7 (thanks to a couple of half decent rounds in Tucson in Oct). However the ONLY reason why my handicap did not go back up over 10 was that I barely played at all this year. Between the weather and family commitments my rounds in Ottawa were waaayyy down My swing went into the dumper and posted some nasty rounds, but due to lack of play they did not erode the handicap (yet).

My short game actually continued to improve somewhat so I am happy with that. But my full swing has degraded and I will need a bunch of lessons to get that back on track next spring.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    What a golf season - 57 handicap rounds, 2 non-handicap rounds and more to come... Shot personal best 69 during a match play (finished 5-under on the last 4 holes: birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie). No back problems throughout the season which allowed me the play the most number of rounds since becoming a Clublink member.

Looking forward to 2010.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    You need new glasses. That is me at Pineview!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Ummmmm, Reza..... Why do you have a pic of Indio as your Avitar???? If i'm not mistaken, that is me on the 17th Tee at Black Bear Ridge in Belleville.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    You need new glasses. That is me at Pineview!!!

Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Bogie mikelaurin is on a distinguished road
    Finished the year at 10.6 was as low as 9.1 , hope to get down to around 9 or 8 next year, got in 84 rounds

too bad the season is ending when my game is peaking. 2 out of the last 3 rounds have been in the 80's. watch out 70's, i'm coming for you next year!

Handicapping system says front, middle, and back for Meadows. I played from the white. Is that considered front?

Thnx.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    This was a tough season for this kid:

1. I developed a severe slice, which I have never had in all of my life.
    2. 'capped sored while I tried to deal with the slice.
    3. The "S" word creeped into my game...happened so much I can now shake it off.
    4. Lost at least a club length through the whole bag.

This season was just hard to know where the ball was going to end up and you all know it's so hard to play well when you have no idea where the ball is going to go.

A couple of positives from this year:
    1. Kept the index to a 8.9 by the end of the year
    2. Best putting year of my golfing career...which is roughly 15 years.
    3.Shot a career low of 76 in the C.C. which made it even more sweet.

I am going to try and dedicate myself this winter to physical fitness and lessons. Hope those heated hitting bays work well at KH's. Mr. Foley will be receiving a phone call soon!

Thread Information