CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: H1N1 clinics

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

H1N1 clinics

has anyone else tried lining up for one of these? I went yesterday @ 6:30 am when the clinic doesn't even open until 7:30 and was told they were full for the day? so what is my option? go back again and line up even earlier? my neigbour went early sat am @ 4:30am and said anyone after 6am wasn't getting a bracelet. This is insane.

I have heard that both Brantford and Sault Ste. Marie have innoculated the whole city by appointment.

Would it not make sense to do it that way or to allow people to line up to get a bracelet for 3 days from now or something?

Would it not make sense to do this in the schools and get it done for the kids?

How is a single mother supposed to take her kids at 4:30 in the morning?

I am lining up for my wife and my daughter - I can and will likely have to wait due to the shortage - which makes no sense again since I will have to line up all over again to get myself done.

there has got to be a better way.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If ever there was a lesson in how NOT to do something, the H1N1 clinics are it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar
    Obviously you are a priority. For myself I have to wait until everybody who needs it gets it. Some people I know are getting it that are not suppose to

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Try another clinic Jeff, the one at Tom Brown Arena was still giving out wristbands at 2pm this afternoon for 5pm shots.

I got my kids done today and I agree with JV. The worst thing was the amount of nurses sitting there doing nothing because the 'administrators' couldn't enter people's forms quickly enough. I guess somehow in Ottawa there's a shortage of people who can enter forms on a computer?

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Simple solution. Don't get it. Unless you are at high risk.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Announced today you and family members now need to be present to receive a wristband and it must be put on immediately. They were having problems with scalpers getting wristbands and selling them....
    "Get your smile on!"

now it is gotten stupid. So how I am supposed to get my wife, 5 year old, 11 week old and me to line up at 4:30 in the morning? How about just writing my family name on the bracelet.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Simple solution. Don't get it. Unless you are at high risk.
    Simple yes, as long as you don't pass it to someone who is at high risk.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    You sure they all have to be present to get the wristbands Andy? That would be really stupid. This morning it was ok to get multiple wristbands, except they didn't give them to you unfastened. They put them on your wrist so that the person getting the wristbands had to be present when their family members received their immunization. They were still doing that in the afternoon as of 3pm at Tom Brown, so maybe it's still ok?

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    In town they are using a computerized system. If you have your Health card you just scan it and all your information is added to the form.

The Health Unit will also go to the different schools and give the vaccine to the students. Our school is schedule to get it Nov. 9th...

I think politician screwed this one up (what is new). At first, it was suppose to be for high priority group only. Last week the Minister announce that they would not refuse anybody... smart!
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Did anyone honestly believe that the City of Ottawa could get this right??

I find it extremely hard to believe that there aren't 100's of administrative staff working for the city who are not "fully employed" and who could be reassigned for a few weeks to help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

I find it extremely hard to believe that there aren't 100's of administrative staff working for the city who are not "fully employed" and who could be reassigned for a few weeks to help with this.
    and its not like they didn't know it was coming. we have heard about this for months. So we have a health card with all of our info on it, we are told to fill out a form, and then wait while someone types this all back into a computer. Of course, that is if you can actually get a bracelet to get in line to do all of this.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I feel badly for anyone who has kids, or who is in one of the high-risk groups. It's a very disconcerting and stressful time for a lot of people who aren't able to get straight answers, and who are being bombarded by a less-than-subtle media.

I know we're not supposed to have political discussions here, so if I cross the line, I apologize. It seems that the powers that be have learned nothing from past experiences like SARS, and such. It's shameful to put the lives of good citizens at potential risk with this behavior. There's the old saying that "the cream always rises to the top", but in many cases the sh** also floats.

I'm not in any group that is due for these shots right now (no kids, no babies on the way, no illness, etc) so I'm going to stay out of the way until it's my turn.

Best of luck to those who are out there waiting.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I am in a high risk group but there is no hope in hell that I am going to go through what I am hearing is happening out there.... screw it, I decided that i will take my chances
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar

wow

My kids (8 and 5) and my wife all have asthma so they were deemed higher priority. My wife took 20mins to line up for a wrist band for all 3 of them (my kids were in school) this morning at 10.30am no hassles at Tm Brown Arena. She was told to return at 3.30pm. We all went at 3.30 (me just there to help with the kids) got seen at 4.30 and was out by 5.00pm absolutely no problem. So for us the whole process took less than 2hrs and my wife had to take a little time off work thats all.

It is a nuisance that I will have to go back at some point but they are saying that family doctors should have it soon and be able to administer by appointment.

I hear all the horror stories but our experience (like everyone else I saw today) wasn't really too big a deal.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    The bigest problem here is the people who are lining up for these shots that shouldnt be doing so. If your not in the high risk group ( clearly stated who these people are ).Dont get it untill its your time to.
    Its unbelievable to me that the spots being taken by these people could be used by children, elderly and others who are truly at higher risk .
    I guess as long as we all look out for number one who cares about others though Right ?

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    that wasn't my experience today either...I would say 90% of the people there were with young kids

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Angry The Line Up

Dropped my wife off at the Ottawa/Orleans Service Centre at 0720 today. Line up already in place with it ending about 100+ deep with people standing and sitting on the sidewalk outside the Shenkman Centre. How much did we tax payers cough up for this performing arts centre? Seems like they could have thrown the doors open to this public facility to shield the public from the rain, and the incredibly inept handling of this so far. My wife is an RN who deals with the ill public on a daily basis. My daughter is 8 1/2 months pregnant with a 15 month old son, and a husband who is also a front line worker dealing with the public and is an asthmatic. So the medical health officials think it is appropriate to have people line up outside in the weather to collect wrist bands (like for a rock concert) 7 hours before the clinic opens. Already there are issues of abuse, rare or common is anyones guess. Who should be first seems to be a decision made by the individual and not trained officials. There are buidlings full of doctors offices across the city that do not have the authority/ability to sort and administer the vaccine. MDs in BC have been given the responsibility, what is the matter with Ontario Doctors? President of the OMA was on CBC the other day and said the things had been worked out with the government and some doctors will be able to give the shots soon. So much for the advance planning that we were told about. Seems the only people "satisfied" with the way things are going are the ones who planned this.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

They got the 'create mass hysteria' part right
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    They got the 'create mass hysteria' part right
    Good point by you........sad, but true

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    well, the creation of mass hysteria had nothing to do with the city of ottawa, so let's at least put blame in the right place. The city of ottawa may have done a bad job administering the flu shot, but incessant media coverage for 4 months, and the public tendency to take news reports as gospel is what has caused the hysteria.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Swine flu has (as of November 2, 2009) afflicted at least 13,183 people in Canada, with 104 confirmed deaths.

The regular flu kills between 700 and 2500 per year in Canada. Shouldn't we be more worried about the normal flu?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    There's no question that as of yet the "regular" flu kills more people, it's the demographic that this flu seems to be targeting that is causing alot of people to get scared.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Swine flu has (as of November 2, 2009) afflicted at least 13,183 people in Canada, with 104 confirmed deaths.

The regular flu kills between 700 and 2500 per year in Canada. Shouldn't we be more worried about the normal flu?
    Based on the numbers yes. But based on irrational fear...run for the hills Chicken Littles!!
    If the flu doesn't get you, don't worry, the killer bees will be here soon.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    if someone opens a clinic to test for swine flu they'll be rich overnight.

Riddle me this........if someone came up with a vaccine to protect against the "Shanks" would you line up at 4:00 AM to get it??

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Riddle me this........if someone came up with a vaccine to protect against the "Shanks" would you line up at 4:00 AM to get it??
    Dude, do you even have to ask? They could inject that with a sledgehammer and a rusty spike and I wouldn't care.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

guys - thanks for the tip on Tom Brown arena. The wife went down this AM @ 11 and no line-up, got the bracelets and is going back this aft to get the shots. Fred Barrett was already full.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    guys - thanks for the tip on Tom Brown arena. The wife went down this AM @ 11 and no line-up, got the bracelets and is going back this aft to get the shots. Fred Barrett was already full.
    A friend of mine confirms the efficiency at Tom Brown.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Unhappy The Line Up - Part II

My wife waited from 0720 until 0900 in line to get her wrist band for the vaccine. Got an appointment for all 5 of us for 1445 and was out of there by 1525. All in all, given the reports, not a bad end. I saw my family MD today on an unrelated matter. She advised that their practice has ordered the vaccine but does not know when or if they will get it. Kind of spooky being the only person in the waiting room without a mask, inlcuding the staff. There still has to be a better way.

Thread Information