100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Favourite local guitar tech?

Just picked up a MIM telecaster, which I am loving. I have noticed that there's static noise coming from it ntil i touch the strings or the neck pickup (at which point i get a little 'pop' and then the noise goes away). I am not confusing this with the normal hum, of which I get plenty, regardless of what I'm touching. I've read up a bit on this issue on the internet, and consensus is that it is probably a grounding issue. I personally have no desire to rip my guitar open and stare dumbfounded at the cavity below. I'm wondering if anyone has a favourite, thorough, (and preferably inexpensive) guitar tech. It's not a problem that really bothers me much...I don't play live, and once i actually start playing a song, my fingers generally don't leave the strings fully until the end, so there is no statuc when i'm actually playing. But, it would be nice to get it sorted if possible.

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    it could also be a grounding problem with your amp or something related to the wiring in your house. have you tried taking your guitar to a friends house and trying his/her amp? regardless, id want to get it fixed ASAP too. if you dont have a friends place thats convenient, id just take it into one of the music stores and plug it in and see if you get the same problem there.. you'll get to try out some cool amps this way too

as for tech, i like the guy at steve's.. his name escapes me right now tho.. but ive been to him a couple times for small things and he was really good and reasonably priced. my friends take theirs to long and mcquade.. their tech dept is good as well.

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    I deal with Ian Vance at Lauzon Music. I have been very happy with his workmanship in setting up my guitars.

Bye.
    retread.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Guitar tech

I think you are talking about Kevin at Steves. He has been there for over 20 years. Never brought my guitars to him but i hear he is o.k.

Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post
    it could also be a grounding problem with your amp or something related to the wiring in your house. have you tried taking your guitar to a friends house and trying his/her amp? regardless, id want to get it fixed ASAP too. if you dont have a friends place thats convenient, id just take it into one of the music stores and plug it in and see if you get the same problem there.. you'll get to try out some cool amps this way too

as for tech, i like the guy at steve's.. his name escapes me right now tho.. but ive been to him a couple times for small things and he was really good and reasonably priced. my friends take theirs to long and mcquade.. their tech dept is good as well.

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I think you are talking about Kevin at Steves. He has been there for over 20 years. Never brought my guitars to him but i hear he is o.k.
    thats it, kevin! yea, ive been to him a couple times and i was happy with the work.

thanks marcos.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I decided to go to Ian at Lauzon (mostly because it is most accessible to me). He had a look at the wiring and determined everything was in order...just the regular tele buzz. I may have an issue with my amp, or the grounding in my house, as the guitar is a lot louder here than it was in store (same cable), and i do get some buzz on my epiphone, too.

However, i've got the guitar back, and now have a new problem. The tele buzz generally goes away when i touch any metal (as it is supposed to). But, now sometimes touching metal actually creates the buzz (which is new, and frustrating, as it means i can hear it while playing). I'll have to take it back tomorrow to see what he can do. The odyssey continues.

Thread Information