CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tiger WOW!!!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

Tiger WOW!!!

How about that putt on #17 and the 4 iron approach on #18.

THE BEST GOLFER EVER!!!!!

WOW

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    All World... baby All World!

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    I was also hoping to see both going this afternoon with 8 1/2 each.. what a turn around..

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Great shots, but Mike gave that match away.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Shhhhh! Thou shalt NOT speak ill of Mike around here else ye shall face the wrath of his worshipers....

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Shhhhh! Thou shalt NOT speak ill of Mike around here else ye shall face the wrath of his worshipers....
    LOL that is one of his 'worshipers' speaking ill of him
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    He was certainly less than stellar when it counted. In fact, the Internationals should be leading today had a number of them not stumbled coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I wonder why no mention of Striker's amazing putting in the four ball? Without it, the 4 & 2 outcome would have very different as Tiger's contribution was less than one would expect from "The Best Golfer ever."

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Stricker was amazing with the putter Saturday.He carried Tiger for the round but, watch out today.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Wow, Tiger is just amazing! Hey, who put this koolaid in front of me!!!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Maybe this will put an end to all the "Tiger Bashing"! Lets face it ----he is one hell of a player. It's not his fault the commentators or the networks focus on him all the time---that's what brings them their money---he gets his by doing what he does---and he does it the best ----plus he gives over half of it away---I don't see the networks doing that

He WILL go down as the best golfer ever ----I just hope I stick around long enough to see it !
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    I wonder why no mention of Striker's amazing putting in the four ball? Without it, the 4 & 2 outcome would have very different as Tiger's contribution was less than one would expect from "The Best Golfer ever."
    Probably because the OP was talking about the first match in the morning...the second one hadn't occurred yet.

TV definitely talked ad nauseum about Stricker's putting. That was a pretty impressive display.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Maybe this will put an end to all the "Tiger Bashing"! Lets face it ----he is one hell of a player. It's not his fault the commentators or the networks focus on him all the time---that's what brings them their money---he gets his by doing what he does---and he does it the best ----plus he gives over half of it away---I don't see the networks doing that

He WILL go down as the best golfer ever ----I just hope I stick around long enough to see it !
    I don't think anyone has ever doubted his talent, and he could afford to give away 100% of his earnings, he didn't earn $1,000,000,000 on the tour... I feel that his actual persona is nowhere near the god-like status that the media and his PR team has established. I believe that if he really cared about the kids he would sign a few autographs instead of pretending his legions of fans don't exist. The way I have seen him treat the normal fan and the volunteers who help out at the tournamnets is horrendous. Great Golf Skill does not equal personality. Unless I see some drastic and consistent turn around on the personality side, I will always be a Tiger basher.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever doubted his talent, and he could afford to give away 100% of his earnings, he didn't earn $1,000,000,000 on the tour... I feel that his actual persona is nowhere near the god-like status that the media and his PR team has established. I believe that if he really cared about the kids he would sign a few autographs instead of pretending his legions of fans don't exist. The way I have seen him treat the normal fan and the volunteers who help out at the tournamnets is horrendous. Great Golf Skill does not equal personality.
    Everyone accuses Phil of being fake, and the vast majority adore Tiger and he can do no wrong.

But Phil stays and signs, and Tiger doesn't. Something wrong with this.

Give me Tiger's shot making over Phil's autograph signing any day. This is golf not a popularity contest.

Striker isn't carrying Tiger today is he

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Ummm because that match hadn't happened when I opened this thread...

Rather than stand in the shadows and snipe why don't you tell us all who you think the "Greatest Ever" is

Ummm because that match hadn't happened when I opened this thread...

Rather than stand in the shadows and snipe why don't you tell us all who you think the "Greatest Ever" is
    Did not realize that when I made my comment, however, what you call sniping was simply stating the truth. It was mentioned several times during the singles matches today that Tiger was a spectator (my word) for two of the team matches with Stricker, based on Steve's phenomenal putting. Tiger finally played exceptional well today.

When Tiger passes Nicklaus' records I suppose that he will be a candidate for the greatest ever, at least in some people's minds. To be fair though, Nicklaus achieved much of his success with the "old" equipment, particularly the ball, and poorer course conditions, so to compare records of vastly different eras is somewhat meaningless. Not sure of your age but having seen the evolution of golf equipment for the last 50 years, there is no doubt that all of us are better players today, solely because of the equipment that we use. Obviously, the pros are no different.

While TW and JN are/were great players, Ben Hogan and Moe Norman were much better ball strikers, a characteristic I admire more than who wins. Even the pros will agree on that.

Can't argue with Moe Norman's ball striking, but there is much more to the game than just ball strikng and you are well of that. Thing is once we start talkng about the mental game (which we all know you are a big believer in) as well as the ability to make putts under pressure when it counts Tiger really stars to distance himself from everyone.

As for the equipment angle it has no bearing IMO Jack and his contemporaries all used the same equipment as do Tiger and his. We are comparng their records.

Regardless, what is clear is that you are a Tiger hater....to say that once Tiger equals Jacks records that he will be a "Candidate" is ludicrous if he isn't already the greatest he's the second greatest

I don't think anyone has ever doubted his talent, and he could afford to give away 100% of his earnings, he didn't earn $1,000,000,000 on the tour... I feel that his actual persona is nowhere near the god-like status that the media and his PR team has established. I believe that if he really cared about the kids he would sign a few autographs instead of pretending his legions of fans don't exist. The way I have seen him treat the normal fan and the volunteers who help out at the tournamnets is horrendous. Great Golf Skill does not equal personality. Unless I see some drastic and consistent turn around on the personality side, I will always be a Tiger basher.
    this just in.... Personality has nothing to do with how good a golfer someone is. Everyone has their good and bad days and I'm sure that Saint Phil has his bad days too, they are just harder to notice because of that ever present grin.

As for the kids, the millions that he donates does far more good than any autograph, let's be realistic here for once.....

Can't argue with Moe Norman's ball striking, but there is much more to the game than just ball strikng and you are well of that. Thing is once we start talkng about the mental game (which we all know you are a big believer in) as well as the ability to make putts under pressure when it counts Tiger really stars to distance himself from everyone.

As for the equipment angle it has no bearing IMO Jack and his contemporaries all used the same equipment as do Tiger and his. We are comparng their records.

Regardless, what is clear is that you are a Tiger hater....to say that once Tiger equals Jacks records that he will be a "Candidate" is ludicrous if he isn't already the greatest he's the second greatest
    He is not the best driver, not the best iron player, not the best sand player and so on but IS the best at "up and downs" because he is an excellent putter. He has moved his golf swing towards the ideal that eliminates the need for compensations resulting in improved ball striking and that I do admire. There is no doubt that he is the best player of this time.

However, next to Ben Crane and Katherine Hull, he is the slowest player we are forced to watch, the Tour does nothing about this, and this characteristic is being emulated by many of the younger generation. The attention he gets on golf telecasts when not in contention, at the expense of those who do deserve it, is totally out of whack. We know that that's all about the money. But most significant to me is his atrocious behaviour when he misses a shot. The smashing the club into the ground and the swearing, knowing full well that millions are watching their "role model," is just awful. (Let's hear the justification for this).If these make me a "Tiger hater" then I am guilty. Woody Austin was right in his comment about the double standard.

Yes, I am greatly interested in the mental game, but not the stuff of the opportunistic Bob Rotella, the perceived guru of the mental game. While a few of his principles are sound, common sense that anyone here can figure out, some are not, and his writings are sorely lacking on the how. There are better ways, simpler to achieve and based on how our minds actually work.

But back to your original post - How about that putt on #17 and the 4 iron approach on #18. What's so great about a 22' putt and an iron to a 525 yard par 5 that warrants a "Greatest ever?" Many here have done the same and without Stricker, he never would have had the chance. Give credit where credit is due.

I am being realistic. I can appreciate someone's golf swing, however if I do not respect him, I just don't like him. Wherther or not he is proclaimed the greatest golfer ever makes no difference to me. I dislike Tiger and will continue to dislike him.

And giving away a few million dollers does not make him a great philanthropist. Even if he gives away 100% of his winnings, that's about 10% of his total take home over the course of his career so far. I know people who aren't billionaires who give more than that. Those people are real heroes, giving when they are trying to make ends meet. In my eyes to be a real philanthropist, Tiger should give away all of his endorsements and live off his earnings, or maybe it's too hard to live off of 20M this year...

And as for signing a few autographs, to the kids that get them, it would mean more than almost any amount of money.

this just in.... Personality has nothing to do with how good a golfer someone is. Everyone has their good and bad days and I'm sure that Saint Phil has his bad days too, they are just harder to notice because of that ever present grin.

As for the kids, the millions that he donates does far more good than any autograph, let's be realistic here for once.....
    Colby

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    I don't know about the "greatest golfer" out there. But I would like to nominate myself for greatest ball striker!
    When was the last time a pro golfer hit the ball with a full swing less than 20'? I can hit the best slices, hooks and worm burners, usually on the same hole. I can also hit with amazing regularity, sky balls, and shanks. Don't even get me started with the almighty whifff. I constantly make my fellow players appear to play better.

Think I better take the next 5 months before the media finds out and starts pestering me for interviews and setting up autograph sessions for my soon to be adoring "Hacker" fans.
    "Get your smile on!"

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    And giving away a few million dollers does not make him a great philanthropist. Even if he gives away 100% of his winnings, that's about 10% of his total take home over the course of his career so far. I know people who aren't billionaires who give more than that. Those people are real heroes, giving when they are trying to make ends meet. In my eyes to be a real philanthropist, Tiger should give away all of his endorsements and live off his earnings, or maybe it's too hard to live off of 20M this year...

And as for signing a few autographs, to the kids that get them, it would mean more than almost any amount of money.
    The problem with the last statement is, that in general, the kids who get to stand by the ropes at the tournaments aren't the ones who actually need the money that Tiger donates. If mommy & daddy have enough disposable income to buy a passes to the President's cup, or the Masters, then it would be reasonable to believe that their children are probably well taken care of.

The "few millions" that Tiger donates, is targeted at those children that would never have a chance at seeing Tiger live. As far as I'm concerned, the net benefit to those kids is far greater than little Timmy getting his $50 Titleist hat signed.

The fact of the matter is that even if Tiger gave away 95% of his income, there would still be those out there who didn't like the guy. I know that if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't try to appease the haters.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    The problem with the last statement is, that in general, the kids who get to stand by the ropes at the tournaments aren't the ones who actually need the money that Tiger donates. If mommy & daddy have enough disposable income to buy a passes to the President's cup, or the Masters, then it would be reasonable to believe that their children are probably well taken care of.

The "few millions" that Tiger donates, is targeted at those children that would never have a chance at seeing Tiger live. As far as I'm concerned, the net benefit to those kids is far greater than little Timmy getting his $50 Titleist hat signed.

The fact of the matter is that even if Tiger gave away 95% of his income, there would still be those out there who didn't like the guy. I know that if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't try to appease the haters.
    Well said

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    who the heck wants an autograph anyways? I never understood the fascination with them. I don't think any of us can judge someone til we've walked a mile in their shoes. Some of the others mentioned (Hogan, Jack) were famous in a time where it was a whole lot different than being famous now, with non-stop media attention and every breath you make under a microscope. While I am no fan of Tiger's tantrums on the course, I am a fan of the man as a golfer and person. It's my understanding Hogan wasn't exactly the nicest guy in the world but the legacy of him as a golfer certainly outweighs and takes precedence over that and the other stuff seems to be forgotten.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    who the heck wants an autograph anyways? I never understood the fascination with them. I don't think any of us can judge someone til we've walked a mile in their shoes. Some of the others mentioned (Hogan, Jack) were famous in a time where it was a whole lot different than being famous now, with non-stop media attention and every breath you make under a microscope. While I am no fan of Tiger's tantrums on the course, I am a fan of the man as a golfer and person. It's my understanding Hogan wasn't exactly the nicest guy in the world but the legacy of him as a golfer certainly outweighs and takes precedence over that and the other stuff seems to be forgotten.
    Great take and I predict that this will be the case with the infamous Barry Bonds in the years and decades to come (and compared to Barry, Tiger IS a Saint). The quality of the individual as a man or woman has no bearing on the achievements that he or she accomplishes in their chosen profession....Just look at the National Felon's League

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Oh well... another thread about the golf turns into the "haters vs the lovers". This is getting so old it's well, just old.

Tiger and Stricker made a great team. Ham and Eggs as we all hope for in a patnership.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 10-12-2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Well said
    Of course you think it's well said, it supports your point of view.

Tiger would be a great golfer with or without his fans. However he makes his money because of his fans, those kids waiting in line for a chance to have their $50 hat signed. Without the droves of fans at the tournaments that Tiger plays in, the prize money and endorsments are both down. Unfortunately there are far more blind supporters of Tiger than those who see through the crap. Now I don't know if the crap is from Tiger himself or his handlers, however it is still there. When Mike Weir is told not to sign pictures of Tiger putting the green jacket on him, that is just wrong. When his caddy is taking cameras off of people and throwing them into ponds at charity events, that's just wrong. If Tiger really cared he would be standing up to the people around him to do things the right way.

Yeah he can sink a putt, but there's got to be more than that.
    Colby

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Tiger is a great golfer. He's not very charitable according to Jim Brown. He's a man on an island, nowhere close to the common man. I enjoy watching him, I enjoy Mickelson. Head to head though, I'd go for Mickelson because to me is more human. However neither can trump a Canadian golfer like Mike, I'll root for the maple leaf every time.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Tiger gives millions every year to his foundation:

1 - Rainforest Foundation
    2 - Tiger Wood Foundation
    3 - Tiger Wood Learning Center

It is not up to Jim Brown, you or me to decide where he should gives his money. I would say all the golfers have their charities that they support. What I don't understand is people cutting his plays or talents because they don't like him. It makes no sense. He is the best golfers and has been for the last 10 years... if somebody doesn't like him it is OK but everybody has to agree he is the best player today!
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Thread Information