Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
Well....hmmm

That's still not millions AND millions though...so...ya...take that. For someone so concerned with substantiated facts, you sure are taking an artistic liberty with my statement So we're both wrong there.
OK, so millions and millions could be at a minimum 4 million?? 2 groups of two million each.......I'm in the right ball park - how about I'm less wrong

I have to disagree with you there - while you may not make that assumption, your argument certainly does.
So I think that is a compliment - my arguments are now making their own assumptions I not sure, but I think that I've hit some higher zen-like level of arguing.

Your assertion was that people would not watch if they disliked the player - that an individual who does not like Tiger will not watch. So yes, you are ignoring that there are other golfers in the field. You are ignoring the possibility that there are other golfers that people might tune in to watch. By assuming that a dislike for Tiger should prevent me from watching, you are ignoring the possibility that there are other golfers who might attract my viewership. Plenty of people tune in to see Weir or Els or Mickelson etc etc etc, despite disliking Tiger. You are assuming that if someone is watching, they must like Tiger, because nobody in their right mind would watch someone they don't like. My assertion is that there are many who do not like Tiger who watch in hopes of seeing the many other skilled golfers.
Yet you talk earlier on about never getting to see any other players because Tiger get all of the coverage I'm confused.....but that is nothing new, just ask my wife - or if you wait for 5 minutes or so I'm sure Indio will also vouch for that fact

Ya...ignore the meat of my argument (about how sport wouldn't exist as it does if we only cheered for the winners) and jump on the only moderately controversial element of my statement.
I omitted it because you are in a round about way using a team sport analogy to explain an individual sport phenomenon...When the Bills play a game there is one winner and one loser not one winner and multiple losers like in golf. In fact, I've heard a number of pro golfers say that they don't play "against" the other players, they are playing the course itself

Give me a break Hacker...you and I both know that I didn't call Tiger a heel.
But you did....."drop in viewers when Tiger is gone. No great villain left to cheer against. Why does the WWE have the heel? Because fans like having someone to go against."

If you aren't calling him a heel then your agruement is

I hope to withdraw...though I will obviously have to return to fight injustice if the progress of the thread so demands)
I too shall withdraw, but only after you answer one question for me......Who is the the BEST GOLFER EVER?!?.....just kidding