CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road

ball position too far back?

so i've been debating with myself on this topic.. but ball position and setup are what ive been thinking about lately. half way thru the year i was coming along well in my game, my friends even commented that my game had gotten noticeably better, and id be shooting an average of 100 consistently, which was huge for me considering i was a 115-120 golfer at the beginning of the season. i had however adopted a setup for my clubs that was kind of weird. at least, i think it's weird. but it was working for me. ive since been toying with other ideas and thoughts with 0 success and have gone back to this setup the last couple rounds and it definatly works best for me.

in order for me to hit a ball i need to have the ball further back in my stance.. well, what im perceiving as further back in my stance. my 4 iron is roughly 1/2 a ball back, 6 iron a ball, PW is a ball forward from my back foot and my other wedges are roughly on my back foot. i rarely hit any fat shots and have gotten to become half confident in this method. for instance, i know and rely on the fact i hit my 7 iron 155-160 yards. i dont hit a draw when i do this.. it seems to be straight to me. i do feel like i may be de-lofting my irons tho as the shaft of the clubs leans quite a bit forward.. near the middle of my stance.

if i play a ball any further forward i top the ball.. all the time. im still a hacker hovering around 100 as i said, but i do feel like my irons are becomming fairly decent.. i can account for alot of my extra shots in other areas. ie. last week i would have shot a 92 at LVM had my driver not caused me to lose balls off 4 teeboxes, 8 shots lost right there.. 3 3putts makes another 3 shots.. down to an 89.. any score below that is well beyond my realm of understanding

anyways, please let me hear some opinions.. im planning on taking some lessonsover the winter but thats going to be a few months away and i stil have a few rounds in me before the year is over.

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    Well, playing the ball back delofts the club and lowers ball flight. If you make solid contact why worry. Sounds as if you do not make a good weight transition back and through which results in your swing bottoming out further to the rear of your stance.

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat 2 View Post
    Well, playing the ball back delofts the club and lowers ball flight. If you make solid contact why worry. Sounds as if you do not make a good weight transition back and through which results in your swing bottoming out further to the rear of your stance.
    thx bobcat, a friend of mine told me (without seeing) the same thing.. im still getting a very high ball flight, especially with my 8, 9 and pw.. higher than i've ever really gotten before.. which is why it's puzzling to me.

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by iggsplode View Post
    thx bobcat, a friend of mine told me (without seeing) the same thing.. im still getting a very high ball flight, especially with my 8, 9 and pw.. higher than i've ever really gotten before.. which is why it's puzzling to me.
    I fight that too with the short irons. There are two main reasons and probably a combination of the two.
    1. over swinging which results in a casting early release and UP lofts the club, turns that 9 iron into a gap wedge. Try to swing a flat lead wrist through the ball.

2. You are not hitting down on the ball but rather trying to help it into the air which creates a scooping motion which UP lofts the club. Again, try to swing a flat lead wrist down and through the ball. What that means to me is I try to swing the clubhead down through the ball into the ground. A good way to practice is take a wedge and hit tees sunk fully down out of the ground. Really good for any iron shot. If you scoop your miss the tee completely.

3 Remember on these short shorts, keep the feet a little closer and more weight on the front foot to steepen the swing.

Thread Information