CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge BurnerF55 is on a distinguished road

Stiff Driver Shaft vs Regular

So I swing around 85-90mph so I am supposed to have a regular shaft. I have a burner with a stiff shaft and I have learned to use it and it still has a manageable fade.

If i reshaft the driver to a regular shaft, what can I expect in terms of ball flight.
    Longer? Straighter? Will it promote a draw?

Please consider that I know about flexpoints etc, please answer as if I was replacing the stiff with the same in regular.

Thanks!!
    [URL="http://www.jasonphillips.ca"][/URL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnerF55 View Post
    So I swing around 85-90mph so I am supposed to have a regular shaft. I have a burner with a stiff shaft and I have learned to use it and it still has a manageable fade.

If i reshaft the driver to a regular shaft, what can I expect in terms of ball flight.
    Softer feel.

You probably know that the flex label on the shaft actually means very little, except possibly when it is compared to a different flex of the same line. Even then, some manufacturers make an "R" softer in the butt, for example, but stiffer in the tip. Only by actually measuring the flex profile of the shaft will you really know what the differences are.

A ball will draw because of good swing mechanics, that is, an inside path of the club head with a slightly open club face at separation.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    What BC said.

I have can (and have) play pretty much any flex in my driver. In the last 3 years it has ranged from A to X. In the end, the most important things for me are total weight and "feel".
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    your swing speed is only part of the equation as to what "bend profile" you should be using.Forget about flexes and letters. A softer flex, as you put it will feel softer, but how it reacts to your swing mechanics can not be projected. The only way to find out is to hit it.

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road

Please consider that I know about flexpoints etc, please answer as if I was replacing the stiff with the same in regular.

Thanks!!

As someone said shaft flex means absolutely nothing these days. People simply will not buy drivers that are not marked "S" so all the flexes no matter how soft are so marked. The general rule is the more "game improvement" the driver is, the more softer the "S" will be even as far as a soft R. The Tour models and square to open face drivers have shafts closer to the true "S" flex. Most shafts today are softer over all than 5 years ago, as a rule. This is why the ultra premium shafts sell well, notwithstanding the high prices because they play true to flex. Take your club to a good club fitter and he can tell you the spec of your shaft.

7 Iron Seanemmetttimot is on a distinguished road

Thanks!!
    The other things to remember that like someone else said it's not just swingspeed that determines your flex. Your clubfitter will examine a bunch of factors before choosing a flex for you.......what is your swing tempo, what is your transition, what is your angle of attack.....a person who swings really fast and is more of a hitter can function better with a stiff shaft while a person who has a smoother tempo and transition can use a softer shaft.

People who have the same swing speed but different tempos and transitions can be fit for entirely different shafts......do you want to kick the ball up in the air or do you hit it too high......do you have too much spin etc.......

Spend some time with your local clubfitter to decide what works the best.......the course and your scorecard don't care what flex you have.......find what works best for you.

Where is a good clubfiitter and how much does a session cost?

Where is a good clubfiitter and how much does a session cost?
    Call Don Irving at Artisan Golf in Kanata.

9 Iron chieflabattblue is on a distinguished road
    Another option is to call Les from Maxx fit, he has many shafts ( OEM after market..not no names ones ) and can tell you the difference between the MANY different shafts just not the limited ones that people have as their inventory. There are so many different shafts and weight combinations in the shafts that would be best suited for your specific needs. Plus you can research the info after your meeting for peace of mind. He will dial the correct the tip trim for you on the shaft(s) not what the "book" says for the general mass.

Day and Night between a lot of the others who will just do what the book recommends and You and the 100's of others using the exact same flex as you are, and there is no comparison between all of the 100's swings from each of the individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by chieflabattblue View Post
    Another option is to call Les from Maxx fit, he has many shafts ( OEM after market..not no names ones ) and can tell you the difference between the MANY different shafts just not the limited ones that people have as their inventory. There are so many different shafts and weight combinations in the shafts that would be best suited for your specific needs. Plus you can research the info after your meeting for peace of mind. He will dial the correct the tip trim for you on the shaft(s) not what the "book" says for the general mass.

Day and Night between a lot of the others who will just do what the book recommends and You and the 100's of others using the exact same flex as you are, and there is no comparison between all of the 100's swings from each of the individuals.
    The main thing is to get fit and harbor no ill will towards your fellow man.

9 Iron chieflabattblue is on a distinguished road
    There was no ill towards anyone or anybody..There are GP doctors and then there are Surgeons but both in the same field. That is all.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Who would be the surgeon and who would be the GP? To me the person who is:
    PCS Regional Club Maker of the Year:
    - 2005, 2007, 2008
    Advanced Professional Class "A" Clubmaker:
    KZG Top 100 Clubmakers:
    - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    KZG Canadian Dealer of the Year:
    Accra Top 50 Shaft Technologists:
    - 2007, 2008
    - PCS Advanced Fitting School (2005)
    - KZG Master Clubfitter (2005)
    - PCS Certified Class "A" Clubfitter (2002)
    - [PCS] Understanding the Golf Swing (2001)
    - PCS Certified Class "A" Clubmaker (2000)
    - One of the founding members of IPAC.
    Would be the surgeon.
    Last edited by spackler; 10-12-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: no personal attacks

So who is the guy with all the awards?

Is it Don in Kanata or is it MaxFitt? Does Don also regrip clubs I need that done as well.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    That's Don at Artisan with the awards.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road

Is it Don in Kanata or is it MaxFitt? Does Don also regrip clubs I need that done as well.

I think they are announcing the winner of the " Re gripper of the year " award this week for the 2009 golf season. You might want to hold off and see who wins this coveted achievement before getting those grips done. Insiders tell me it's a one man race !

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Don can regrip your clubs but it is really easy to do yourself and I think Golfworks does it for a good rate and they have a large selection of grips.
    For club work and fitting, there is a reason why so many on here go to Don. He is a great guy to deal with and knows his stuff. He won't sell you what you don't need and he doesn't talk as if he is the be all end all to club fitting/making, unlike other club fitters who believe that only they know the true secrets to fitting and everyone else is wrong. This will save you a huge headache of not having to listen to someone who likes to hear themself speak and tries to impress you with complicated technical stuff to make you think they know everything. This is good advice for looking for a teaching pro too because for some reason people in the golf industry tend to think that only they could possibly be right.
    Go see Don and you'll have a great experience.

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    Remember club fitting is only as good as your swing is that day. An alternative is to borrow some demos and a course (or the range), for a few times, where you can play alone after or before hours and hit some shots with various clubs to see how they feel and fly, when your tired, tight, hungover and then when you feel limber and great. The more more erratic ones swing is the more elusive the benefits of custom club fitting becomes in a session or two.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    I have had alot of recent work done for both myself and my wife from Les (maxxfit) and he does first rate work, offers creative solutions, and listens to your requirements. And best of all, he does this with fast turnaround and very affordable rates. I cant say enough good things about this pro!
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    So the original question was:

I say it will not promote a draw. It may start it left a little more but a fade is a fade and the swing dictates ball flight. Not the shaft.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information