100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Crosby can't hear you because HE is at the closing ceremony... it is just way too loud in there...

Go SID...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    i laughing at anyone who things sid the kid is the best player in the NHL. i'll take OV over him anyway. i might even take roberto looou over him as well
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I never said he was the best, just better than Datsyuk. Ovie is the best player right now.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    better offensive player, maybe.
    better defensive player? no way.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

better player. can you honestly say if a GM had the choice to take either one of these players, any of them would choose Datsyuk over Crosby?

well, my coworker had the choice of taking crosby or datsyuk in this year's fantasy hockey pool and he took datsyuk. he reminds me of his mistake every day. lol

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    i laughing at anyone who things sid the kid is the best player in the NHL. i'll take OV over him anyway. i might even take roberto looou over him as well
    Luongo was awful in that game, it was like he had a blocker on both hands and no trapper. He couldn't catch the damn puck, and was fighting every shot like it was difficult. Not sold at all.

Book Cam Ward as the starter in 2014 (if the NHL goes, that is).

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I have to agree with you on his inability to control the puck. It was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Luongo was awful in that game, it was like he had a blocker on both hands and no trapper. He couldn't catch the damn puck, and was fighting every shot like it was difficult. Not sold at all.

Book Cam Ward as the starter in 2014 (if the NHL goes, that is).
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    To be honest I was happy he scored but seriously, he did not have a good tournament. He was not making good decisions, he was turning the puck over way too much and on the winning goal he tried to go against 3 USA players. It worked out but the one goal will make me forget all of that.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Lucas... do you remember how good Paul Henderson was in 1972... probably not, me neither... but I remember he scored the winning goal.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    True, he scored the most important goal. What leaves an impression down the road is not always reflective of the events that took place. Crosby himself said he felt some redemption.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Crosby faced the best players on the other teams he faced. Crosby did a lot of little things like establish a good forecheck, he kept his feet moving and looked for his team-mates and high percentage plays. I can't believe people are ragging on him. I'd much rather have him being prepared to get stuck in and take some hits to make plays and keep his feet moving to get penalties than have Ovie going for the hail mary plays all the time and shooting every chance he gets whether in a good position or not, and sulking when he gets shut down. Watch the playoffs, in the much tighter games Ovie struggles, Sid bides his time, stays patient, gets stuck in and scores or sets up very important goals. The game is about winning, not about who got the prettiest goal or the most goals in a 5-4 loss...

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Lucas... do you remember how good Paul Henderson was in 1972... probably not, me neither... but I remember he scored the winning goal.

We'll have better memories thanks to the internet. He wasn't the best player on his team, we're blessed to have the best of the best in the world. Sid is just one of them, he doesn't deserve to be held so much higher then the rest.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    We'll have better memories thanks to the internet. He wasn't the best player on his team, we're blessed to have the best of the best in the world. Sid is just one of them, he doesn't deserve to be held so much higher then the rest.
    Well...he is among the two of three best players in the world, undoubtedly. But, you're right, as far as this tournament goes, it was a total team effort. Who led in goals, was it Corey Perry with 4? The scoring was very balanced.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Jon I love it when you contribute to a thread. And I love that we can go through the whole thing again in 3 weeks!

BTW, for Crosby to jump to the next level, let's see him at least get a 40 goal season. = )

Done. 42 goals with 20 games to go.

Donny, we could argue about this all night and nobody will win. My point is if I am starting a new team he is my #1 pick from Team Canada easy... He will still be around in 15 years...

If I can pick a player from any team it is Ovy or Crosby (even though Don Cherry said 3 years ago that he would pick Phaneuf), it would be harder. Even though I have more respect for Ovy, I still pick Crosby. Ovy reminds me of Wendell Clarke, Lindros, etc... He plays way too physical to last 15 more years in this league... he will start falling apart unless he changes his way of playing.

This wasn't his team. Actually it was nobody's team. This is a bit strange but nobody could put their imprint on this team. He was a complete team effort... which is rare to see. Crosby didn't even want an "A" ... he has too much respect for the older player. Watch in 2014... it will be more his team. He will be the leader... like Gretzky, Lemieux, Phil Esposito (1972), ...

I rather have Crosby on my team ... he seems to find a way to win. It was suppose to be Ovy's game and he fail miserably... might also be too young for so much pressure.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Donny, we could argue about this all night and nobody will win. My point is if I am starting a new team he is my #1 pick from Team Canada easy... He will still be around in 15 years...

If I can pick a player from any team it is Ovy or Crosby (even though Don Cherry said 3 years ago that he would pick Phaneuf), it would be harder. Even though I have more respect for Ovy, I still pick Crosby. Ovy reminds me of Wendell Clarke, Lindros, etc... He plays way too physical to last 15 more years in this league... he will start falling apart unless he changes his way of playing.

================

I rather have Crosby on my team ... he seems to find a way to win. It was suppose to be Ovy's game and he fail miserably... might also be too young for so much pressure.
    Good points. Ovechkin is all about flash and his reckless, often-times borderline dirty play, will limit his longevity. He already should have been suspended for a fistfull of games for slewfoots and headhunting if the NHL had the guts to mete out fair punishments. His most recent suspension for the knee-on-knee hit was somewhat of a joke since he was injured himself for those games - but this is also an indication of how his career could be cut short because of teh way he plays.

In the Olympic tournament Ovechkin did fail miserably and he showed now desire to tough it out. As for him being to young to handle the pressure, he is almost 2 years older than Crosby. And Crosby has World Junior Gold, a Stanley Cup, and an Olympic Gold to his credit. In all 3 of those, Crosby's team beat Ovechkin's enroute to winning. The only significant team award Ovechkin has acheived is World Championship Gold and I don't think Crosby played against him there.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    that hit Ovi laid on jagr was the hit of the tournament. it lead to a goal. Is ovi a head hunter?? i think he just likes to hit... almost as much as he likes to score.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Crosby does it again. A 4 point night yesterday bring his total to 502 points in 5 seasons. The only players that have reached this total faster are Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Crosby does it again. A 4 point night yesterday bring his total to 502 points in 5 seasons. The only players that have reached this total faster are Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.
    Gretzky and Lemieux did it in a completely different era where defense was an afterthought

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Gretzky and Lemieux did it in a completely different era where defense was an afterthought
    Are you saying that Crosby is better the Wayne and Mario?

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Are you saying that Crosby is better the Wayne and Mario?
    I am not. He's not in their leagues, yet. Perhaps one day but he'll need a few more cups and a lot more points.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I am not. He's not in their leagues, yet. Perhaps one day but he'll need a few more cups and a lot more points.
    The points won't compare, because it is a different era. The best way to try and compare will be to evaluate him against his peers, and look at his career as a whole (scoring championships, cups, awards, etc). The 80's were the highest scoring era of all time, they may not ever be matched. 90's were quite high as well..
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    The points won't compare, because it is a different era. The best way to try and compare will be to evaluate him against his peers, and look at his career as a whole (scoring championships, cups, awards, etc). The 80's were the highest scoring era of all time, they may not ever be matched. 90's were quite high as well..

You may never be able to compare but he is third in that list all era’s combined. That means a lot. That means he is #1 in the new era as per years of playing in the league. Actually it’s even more of an accomplishment to be third on that list and racking those numbers in the newer, lower scoring era. Ovy and Sid will rack-up astonishing numbers in years to come in a more skilful era.

what do these numbers tell you?

crosby vs detroit all time:
    reg season 6 games, 2 goals, 3 assists, 0 +/-
    playoffs, 13 games, 3 goals, 6 assists, -2 rating.

The way I read these numbers is this: Crosby is a good hockey player but not some kind of unstoppable force like Mario or Gretzky. If you shadow him and have your defenders aware of where he is on the ice at all times, he'll get frustrated and be a non factor.

i should add that Mario and Gretzky had all star linemates. Sid doesn't. So i can understand why he gets shut down when he goes against a smart defensive team.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post

The way I read these numbers is this: Crosby is a good hockey player but not some kind of unstoppable force like Mario or Gretzky. If you shadow him and have your defenders aware of where he is on the ice at all times, he'll get frustrated and be a non factor.
    As does every player. Look at Ovy. What has he done when it's a tight cheking game? What has he done in the Olympics? In the playoffs? Wayne on the other hand had multiple 50 goal scorers on his team. If they checked Wayne, Kury, Messier, coffey to name only three, would score. Ovy and Sid are great players and they will rack up numbers throughout there careers no doubt. You are comparing Sid to two final cup rounds against the best team in the last 5+ years. Sid is not the only player on that team. When you win the cup, you win it as a team. What has Kovy done in Atlanta? Nothing cuz he was alone....

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post

True, but the Wings had to expend so much time and effort containing Sid that his teammates were abe to get through. They did win the Cup, and though it wasn't because of his scoring, his presence played a huge part.

All I can really say on the topic is this. Crosby and Ovechkin are both great players, and both very different players. They will both be hall of famers one day. The best players - those on another level - create awe in those who watch them. People will never forget the day they witnessed a Bobby Orr end to end rush, a blind setup by Gretzky, or Lemieux trouncing the Leafs in his return. Can the same be said of Sid or Ovie? Not sure, but I'm inclined to think that at least one might be remembered like that. It will probably depend which one can lead their team to the greatest success, so at this point Sid is probably in front by a nose.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced either will be remembered in the same way. I'm a huge soccer fan, and when I watch Messi play, I am simply in awe. There is something in the way he plays - I KNOW that I will remember his performances forever. Years from now I'll still be singing his praises, and he will be remembered as among the greatest ever. I don't get that feeling from either Sid or Ovie. yet.

I gotta think most people who watch Ovechkin are in awe of what he is capable of. I know I am. Crosby less so, he's just not that kind of player but Ovie definitely is.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    True, but the Wings had to expend so much time and effort containing Sid that his teammates were abe to get through. They did win the Cup, and though it wasn't because of his scoring, his presence played a huge part.

All I can really say on the topic is this. Crosby and Ovechkin are both great players, and both very different players. They will both be hall of famers one day. The best players - those on another level - create awe in those who watch them. People will never forget the day they witnessed a Bobby Orr end to end rush, a blind setup by Gretzky, or Lemieux trouncing the Leafs in his return. Can the same be said of Sid or Ovie? Not sure, but I'm inclined to think that at least one might be remembered like that. It will probably depend which one can lead their team to the greatest success, so at this point Sid is probably in front by a nose.

That said, I'm not entirely convinced either will be remembered in the same way. I'm a huge soccer fan, and when I watch Messi play, I am simply in awe. There is something in the way he plays - I KNOW that I will remember his performances forever. Years from now I'll still be singing his praises, and he will be remembered as among the greatest ever. I don't get that feeling from either Sid or Ovie. yet.
    ovie brings me to the edge of my seat every time. i love his passion. he's like, dare i say, tiger? while sid is like Phil "the thrill" Mickelson. how did he get that name anyway? the thrill? really??!!! Phil is about as exciting as Al Bore.

Thread Information