100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    BTW, for Crosby to jump to the next level, let's see him at least get a 40 goal season. = )
    How Ironic is this? Like I said in a previous posts, this is bound to change every year or so.

Sporting News' 50 Greatest Players in Today's NHL
    Wednesday, 10.07.2009

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=501335
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    actually +/- is probably the most overrated stat in hockey. Anyone remember Andrej Mezaros?

Don't get me wrong, Datsyuk is an excellent player, probably the best 2 way player in the league but to say Crosby is not in his league is simply just wrong. Datsyuk plays on a team that has a strong commitment to defense, and one of the best defenses in the league, led by arguably the best defenseman to every play the game. He benefits significantly from that. Are you saying Ovechkin isn't in his league either? By your argument he isn't. Most would consider him the best in the league - as would I.

I do find it a little bizarre that someone who is 4th in the league in scoring during the regular season and logs 97 points is 50th in the post season with a grand total of 9 points.
    wrong. Detroit was the #1 OFFENSIVE team last year. They played a wide open shootout style of hockey and Osgood was terrible.

as for the descrepancy between regular season and playoff stats; I attribute it to the way Babcock used Datsyuk in the playoffs. He is used to shut down the opposing team's top line, ala John Madden. He spends probably more time on the PK than the PP. While Crosby doesn't have to worry about defense, and his stats show it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    This entire exercise is perposterous. I was watching the NHL on tsn today, and they were, once again having the crosby ovechkin debate. The guys basically admitted that the entire debate was assinine and useless - that their opinions would change with ever week, every event, every season. They basically admitted that their entire career is a succession of useless observations that are obselete and irrelevant the moment they are uttered. It both amused and frustrated me to hear these guys talk so obliviously about the pointlessness of their observations, and their general redundancy.

So, why don't we just end the neverending pissing contest of stats and observations that will inevitably result in everybody walking away convinced of the righteousness of their own opinions. Then, we can reconvene in 3 weeks to repete the same debate over again.

And Mike Richards is the best player under-25
    welcome to the internet!

Best player in the NHL depends on what role the GM wants to fill on his team, what the team needs are. if i was a GM and i wanted a balanced forward to set an example for the rest of the team, I'd take Datsyuk. if i wanted a scoring machine who didn't play defense, i'd take Ovechkin. If i wanted a set up man who could feed the puck to other role players, i'd take Crosby/Joe Thornton.

But ya, Datsyuk > Crosby.

actually +/- is probably the most overrated stat in hockey. Anyone remember Andrej Mezaros?
    i'll tell you what's overrated; secondary assists.

http://www.japersrink.com/2009/8/11/...s-on-secondary

malkin's got some splanin to do.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    This is quite useless. At least nobody said that Phaneuf is a better player than Crosby like our famous Don Cherry has said numerous time.

For me how I judge the best player is how they elevate the other players around them. For me Crosby and Ovechkin are in a class by themselves. The other players just follow them and play hard.

When Patrick Roy showed up in Colorado the third and 4th line players had to work a little bit harder because he was going to take as fit... Some players just want to win... Losing just break their heart... and for Crosby to win the Cup is the only thing that counts... it has been his dreams since he was 5 years old.

I have heard of Crosby since he was 14 years old. He never boycott anything, went to Rimouski, went to Pittsburgh, and he played hard. That is why he is the most talked about player and he is Canadian.

All NHL players are really good and the top 20 are amazing and then there is Crosby, Ovy and Malkin... Wow!!

I love watching Detroit... Datsiuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, etc... but I would pay extra to watch the Penguins and Caps.

If I have to hate a player it will be Sean Avery...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post

Interesting article.

BTW Crosby > Datsyuk

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    wrong. Detroit was the #1 OFFENSIVE team last year. They played a wide open shootout style of hockey and Osgood was terrible.

as for the descrepancy between regular season and playoff stats; I attribute it to the way Babcock used Datsyuk in the playoffs. He is used to shut down the opposing team's top line, ala John Madden. He spends probably more time on the PK than the PP. While Crosby doesn't have to worry about defense, and his stats show it.
    My regular playing partner and neighbour is a huge Detroit fan (even goes out in public sporting a Lions hat) so I've been following along with a sense of deja vu.....

One thing to remember about Detroit is they have the luxury of playing in the weakest division in the league. Looks like finally the Wings might have to work a bit this year to win the division, definitely not the case over the past few years though.

And why are Detroit fans not happy unless they're running their goalie out of town? Osgood had a GAA of 2.11 and SV% .926 for last years playoffs. I think you owe him an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    My regular playing partner and neighbour is a huge Detroit fan (even goes out in public sporting a Lions hat) so I've been following along with a sense of deja vu.....

One thing to remember about Detroit is they have the luxury of playing in the weakest division in the league. Looks like finally the Wings might have to work a bit this year to win the division, definitely not the case over the past few years though.

And why are Detroit fans not happy unless they're running their goalie out of town? Osgood had a GAA of 2.11 and SV% .926 for last years playoffs. I think you owe him an apology.
    Detroit has a WORSE record against their own division than they do against the rest of the NHL. So no, they haven't been padding their stats against the Central Division. If Detroit didn't have to play teams in their own division they'd win 70 games!

Reason why Wings fans are frustrated with Osgood (during the regular season) is goaltending is the weakest link in Detroit. Our goalies get 15 shots against them per game, they should stop .90% of the shots at least, allowing 1.5 GAA. But our goalies see so little action, I think they fall asleep back there and when they are asked to make a big save they dont. It's a real let down to a team to have the puck 60% of the time, dominate the other team, and be losing the game. Osgood saved our bacon in the playoffs many times, he is clutch in the playoffs. But why can't he do that during the regular season? We're 0-2 right now thanks to bad goaltending. That's why fans get on his case. In April/May/June, he will make us shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Interesting article.

BTW Crosby > Datsyuk
    i will medidate and let it go.

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    A GAA of 2.11 and SV% .926 would indicate he averaged approximately 29 shots per game. Assuming those stats are correct, the analysis regarding him getting 15 shots/g and stopping 90 for a GAA of 1.5 doesn't really apply.

A .926 SV% is what it it - pretty solid. Then again, GAA ans SV% ignore quality of shots on goal, scoring chances and games played. Which is why stats are rendered mostly useless in comparing goalies.

Detroit has a WORSE record against their own division than they do against the rest of the NHL. So no, they haven't been padding their stats against the Central Division. If Detroit didn't have to play teams in their own division they'd win 70 games!

Reason why Wings fans are frustrated with Osgood (during the regular season) is goaltending is the weakest link in Detroit. Our goalies get 15 shots against them per game, they should stop .90% of the shots at least, allowing 1.5 GAA. But our goalies see so little action, I think they fall asleep back there and when they are asked to make a big save they dont. It's a real let down to a team to have the puck 60% of the time, dominate the other team, and be losing the game. Osgood saved our bacon in the playoffs many times, he is clutch in the playoffs. But why can't he do that during the regular season? We're 0-2 right now thanks to bad goaltending. That's why fans get on his case. In April/May/June, he will make us shut up.
    Ahhhh! I understand now. You are a wings fan!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Speaking from experience, it is a lot harder for a goalie to face 15 shots than it is to face 35. You need a certain amount of action to keep your mind sharp and your muscles warm.

And, if you're winning the division and making the playoffs, then getting saved by your goalie, there is absolutely nothing to complain about. If his mediocre play was keeping you out of the playoffs, then you could complain, but when your team excels anyway, and then your goalie saves your ass in the postseason, there is zero reason to complain. Vancouver would have killed to have Osgoode in their net last postseason, and they have, arguably, the best goalie in the league in their net.

Ahhhh! I understand now. You are a wings fan!
    Long suffering wings fan. it's been a year we haven't had the cup.

Speaking from experience, it is a lot harder for a goalie to face 15 shots than it is to face 35. You need a certain amount of action to keep your mind sharp and your muscles warm.

And, if you're winning the division and making the playoffs, then getting saved by your goalie, there is absolutely nothing to complain about. If his mediocre play was keeping you out of the playoffs, then you could complain, but when your team excels anyway, and then your goalie saves your ass in the postseason, there is zero reason to complain. Vancouver would have killed to have Osgoode in their net last postseason, and they have, arguably, the best goalie in the league in their net.
    how about a trade? Ozzie for Luongo. lol

Quote Originally Posted by SGH View Post
    A GAA of 2.11 and SV% .926 would indicate he averaged approximately 29 shots per game. Assuming those stats are correct, the analysis regarding him getting 15 shots/g and stopping 90 for a GAA of 1.5 doesn't really apply.

A .926 SV% is what it it - pretty solid. Then again, GAA ans SV% ignore quality of shots on goal, scoring chances and games played. Which is why stats are rendered mostly useless in comparing goalies.
    My basic point was that Detroit dictates the pace of the game because they are a puck possession team. We have more shots on goal than our opponents, so our goalies see less action. As long as Ozzie plays well in the playoffs, Red Wings fans will love him, regardless of how bad his stats are in the regular season.

Great game vs Blackhawks tonight! I hope Ozzie does better than against STL: 4 GAA, 19 saves, .826%

how about a trade? Ozzie for Luongo. lol
    If you want to win in the playoffs, you already have the better goalie. If you'd rather have the President's trophy than the Stanley Cup, then ya, Luongo's your man.

If you want to win in the playoffs, you already have the better goalie. If you'd rather have the President's trophy than the Stanley Cup, then ya, Luongo's your man.
    WOW! That’s pretty harsh. Luongo has played only two post seasons and both of them are only since he is with Vancouver. It’s hard on a goalie when your team mates cant score and you are force to win most games one nothing or two one. In 12 games last year he had à .941 SV% and 1.77 GAA. These stats tell me his team was not able to score 2 or more goals per game on average.

WOW! That’s pretty harsh. Luongo has played only two post seasons and both of them are only since he is with Vancouver. It’s hard on a goalie when your team mates cant score and you are force to win most games one nothing or two one. In 12 games last year he had à .941 SV% and 1.77 GAA. These stats tell me his team was not able to score 2 or more goals per game on average.
    Actually, the canucks scored 19 goals in six games against the Blackhawks. Luongo's stats were padded by an easy first round against the Blues, who never threatened the Canucks.

His game 6 against the Hawks was an absolutely atrocious performance. His team would score, and the Blackhawks would march straight down the ice and score on him...ugly goals, too. He let in 7 goals in that game. There were 3 games where the Hawks scored 4 or more. The whole team needed to play better, but as their Captain, and their star player, he needed to play much much better.

The year before they got knocked out on a floater from the blueline.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road

Nobody talked about secondary assists 20 years ago, so they shouldn't now. Hockey's a team game. Let's keep it that way. One stupid consequence of the internet. Makes geeks into "hockey experts." (Not you, but the guy who wrote that article)

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    For the record, Crosby whines waaaay too much to be considered a top player in my book.

No need to respond, 'tis my opinion and until Mr. Crosby learns to shut his damn mouth he'll get no respect from me

.......oh yeah, Sid the Whiner isn't even the best player on his own team let alone in the league.

Ovi > Malkin >> Crosby

Sidney Crosby has reached the 400 points in only 292 games Saturday. Only 5 other players in LNH history has reached the 400 point marker in les games : Wayne Gretzky (197), Mario Lemieux (240), Peter Stastny (247), Eric Lindros (277) et Mike Bossy (283).

He is not as flashy as Ovy but effective.
    Helps when you play with a "Real" Superstar like Malkin

Now that's funny. Are you in the NHLPA committee? When was your last survey amongst the NHL player in regards of who they think is a better player?

I do believe you are an NHL fan but it still does not explain why you read a Crosby post when you obviously don't like him.

I would like to note that this was not a thread to debate who is better. This was a post about him scoring his 400th in a short period of time.
    Donny is 100% correct here and that proof is called the Lester B. Pearson award which is awarded to the most outstanding player as voted by members of the NHLPA. Ovie won it in 2008 and 2009.

Cut and dried IMHO

of all the guys who could have scored, it had to be him.

good game Sid, you're not the next one yet, but you're all right.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Where is datsyuk? Oh ya, he got smoked with the rest of the Russians. Is he even playing in the NHL this year?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I hope this shuts up the Sid haters on this board for a while. Nobody has accomplished more in hockey within the last year.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Where is datsyuk? Oh ya, he got smoked with the rest of the Russians. Is he even playing in the NHL this year?
    ya he's a two way player. scores and plays defense while sid is cherry picking at the opponent's blue line. +/- doesn't lie.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Right time, right place for him today. Thankfully for Team Canada and our country!!!!!! Probably the only time I'll cheer for him. lol
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    ya he's a two way player. scores and plays defense while sid is cherry picking at the opponent's blue line. +/- doesn't lie.
    Gimme a break
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Pavel Datsyuk can't hear you because his two stanley cup rings are plugged in his ears.

Thread Information