100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

The H1N1 Vaccine

The debate in my household is what to do, take it or not take it. I've never had a flu shot in my life and I certainly don't want to take one that hasn't been sufficiently tested.

My wife, well she's up and down. Wants the kids to be safe, but doesn't want to risk being the cause of something as well.

You lads/ladies having the same discussions in your households?
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    It doesn't really matter. You and your wife are not in one of the high risk age groups and likely would not be able to get the vaccine even if you wanted it.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    right, but what about the kids? I am in the same boat. Never had a flu shot, can't remember the last time I had the flu.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I just find it perplexing that they're doing this without the standard testing times. My wife's been doing all the research, and the states is doing something different. Apparently Canada is adding something to the vaccine, like an accelerant or catalyst (?) that they won't give to newborns or pregant women, but they'll give it to everyone else. This is so they can save money, not having to use the pure vaccine as much. How am I supposed to sign up my 1 year old for that?????? Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    The debate in my household is what to do, take it or not take it.
    Always get the flu shot. Never get the flu. Will get the H1N1 when available. Just playing the odds.

Appreciate the concern about the young'uns.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    We're mixed. I've never had the flu and never get the shot.

My wife and kids have had flu shots in the past and my son will probably get it because he has asthma which can be triggered by cold/flu and can be life threatening for him.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Hey Donny,

Here is some info.

Newborns do not get any flu vaccine. Starts at 6 months old.

Pregnant women would get the one without the adjuvant because it has not been tested during pregnancy.

Adjuvant has been added to other vaccine in the past so it is not new. It is done this year so they eventually have enough vaccines for everyone. If they didn't use it they wouldn't have enough vaccine for the whole country. It is not really about saving $$.

Donny, you will be able to get your vaccine if you so desire.

The same testing has been done on the H1N1 as the regular flu shots whose component changes every year. It just so happen that this particular vaccine contains the H1N1 antigen.

Hope this help.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Thanks JP. My wife believe this particular adjuvant is new though.

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    We will not be getting the flu shot - for us or the kids.

We were regular users of the flu shots until 2005, when the whole family got incredibly sick (flu, pnemonia, etc ). Our family doctor suggested skipping the flu shot (off the record ) and we have never looked back. No flu since.

We get lots of sunshine (with no sunscreen ) during the warm weather and take vitamin D supplements during the winter (yup, cod liver oil). There is growing recognition that the best protection against the flu is a healhly immune system, and Vitamin D plays an important role in keepin the immune system functioning.

Odd - this is the same stuff my grandmother knew.
    ________
    Buy Solo Vaporizer
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Donny, you know where my wife and I work (she's an Associate DG and is very much in the know) and we are NOT getting the H1N1 shot nor have we ever gotten a flu shot......

What about the kids?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    What about the kids?
    Not a chance....

Hack, can you PM me with some 'off the record' reasons?

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    We will not be getting the flu shot - for us or the kids.

We were regular users of the flu shots until 2005, when the whole family got incredibly sick (flu, pnemonia, etc ). Our family doctor suggested skipping the flu shot (off the record ) and we have never looked back. No flu since.

We get lots of sunshine (with no sunscreen ) during the warm weather and take vitamin D supplements during the winter (yup, cod liver oil). There is growing recognition that the best protection against the flu is a healhly immune system, and Vitamin D plays an important role in keepin the immune system functioning.

Odd - this is the same stuff my grandmother knew.
    No sunscreen? You drink organic milk, don't you?

Seriously, no sunscreen for me would mean sunburns and skin cancer in about 13 minutes.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    Wping the flu shot (off the record ) and we have never looked back. No flu since.

We get lots of sunshine (with no sunscreen ) during the warm weather and take vitamin D supplements during the winter (yup, cod liver oil). .
    The supplements are great, however, my dermatologist and oncologist would seriously object to anyone NOT using a sunscreen. Getting precancerous spots burned off each visit, cancerous spots cut out and/or radiation treatments because of unprotected exposure to too much sun in my foolish youth, suggest that protecting oneself is better than not doing so.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    as someone who had a cancerous lesion removed from behind my ear in January, all I can say is you have to be insane to not wear copius quantities of sunscreen anytime you are outside for extended lengths of time. Not protecting your kids with hats/sunscreen is even worse.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Not protecting your kids from he sun and the flu is a bit weird... adults should know better.

I notice Donny you stayed home today... maybe you should get the flu shot if you are already sick.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    You drink organic milk, don't you?
    Nope - lactose intolerant .
    ________
    Mazda Rx-8 History
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Getting precancerous spots burned off each visit, cancerous spots cut out and/or radiation treatments because of unprotected exposure to too much sun in my foolish youth, suggest that protecting oneself is better than not doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Not protecting your kids from he sun and the flu is a bit weird... adults should know better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    as someone who had a cancerous lesion removed from behind my ear in January, all I can say is you have to be insane to not wear copius quantities of sunscreen anytime you are outside for extended lengths of time. Not protecting your kids with hats/sunscreen is even worse.
    At the expense of raising the ire of the moderators (for thread-jacking), we will all (at some point in our lives) need to have precancerous skin lesions removed. I have had my share (some in areas that have never seen the sun). The sad fact is that everyone reading this (right now) will eventually die with cancer - some of us may even die of cancer. As a nuclear engineer who has worked with radiation for the past 20 years, I will likely be in the front of that line.

Sunscreen is excellent for preventing sunburns. For those with exceptionally fair skin (who burn rather fast) - sunscreen is essential. For everyone else, sunshine is essential for good health. Moderate unprotected exposure to the sun is healthy.

Here's are some quotes from our own government: http://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/default.a...et=16&toc=show

"It is now recognized that numerous chromosomal breaks occur in every living person all the time, that most of these are repaired, and that damaged cells that cannot be repaired are eliminated by the immune system. The efficiency with which the immune system does this is the primary factor governing the cancer risk experienced by any individual. This risk increases with age, primarily because the effectiveness of the immune system de-creases with increasing age."

"Many scientists believe it can be demonstrated in the laboratory that, while large radiation doses depress the immune system, chronic low-level exposures stimulate it. "

"Many scientists regard this as evidence that moderate doses of radiation can stimulate the immune system and thereby increase resistance to a wide range of other diseases-a view supported by thousands of animal studies reported in the scientific literature-but many other scientists believe such a conclusion is premature. "

It all depends on who you want to believe.

Cancer (simplified = DNA damage) is a complex disease that can be influenced by so many different factors (including all those chemicals in chips and cheesies, or those preservatives in your beer) that attempting to prevent one type of cancer by focusing solely on one vector is borderline obsessive-compulsive.

And just to prove I'm a lunatic - all those who say Becel margarine is good for you are also lying.
    ________
    Yamaha Xj900 History
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:56 AM.

7 Iron holeinone is on a distinguished road
    i get the flu shot every year and i will be getting the H1N1 vaccine most likely. Seems like some of you are paranoid.

Gapwedge,

Great post... doesn't mean I agree but it was good. You are a nuclear engineer so you should understand that research has contradict most of what our mother / grandmother knew about medicine. You will catch a cold if you go outside without a hat, etc... most of it was old wifes' tale...

For the first time ever I am confident that cancer will be beaten. The new research in nanotechnology is just amazing and in the next 5 to 10 years there will be great step taken against that awful disease.

you should understand that research has contradict most of what our mother / grandmother knew about medicine
    It's not about about medicine (which is corrective) - it's about healthy living (which is preventative).
    ________
    CROP INSURANCE FORUMS
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:56 AM.

I notice Donny you stayed home today... maybe you should get the flu shot if you are already sick.
    Strep throat. Hadn't had it since college.

So new information from last night, the adjuvent will not be given to kids under 3. The adjuvent that we are getting and is being used in europe has never been tested on babies or pregnant women. Right now there are serious issues with pregnant women and h1n1, who are on respirators to help them breath. Now this is second hand info, I might have messed up a little. But our family friend that works at CHEO said that she is giving it to her 5 year old.

Thread Information