100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tree height

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar

tree height

Some courses allow relief from small trees less than 2 club lenghts in height. does anyone know if this is a rule for all courses?

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by upanddown
    Some courses allow relief from small trees less than 2 club lenghts in height. does anyone know if this is a rule for all courses?
    Are you referring to the "please don't kill our young seedlings" rule? I'm pretty sure that's a local rule, not an official one, but one could argue that new growth should be marked off as "ground under repair"...

I'm very curious about this one too, as I've always implored my playing partners to take the clublengths so that they don't hurt newly planted trees....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I always understood it to be 6' trees. Since I am 6'1" I just look at the top.
    Guy wires (supporting the tree) are obstructions
    Q. Angled supports or guy wires support a boundary fence or a protective net above such a fence. If the angled supports or guy wires extend onto the course, are they obstructions?
    A. Any part of such an angled support or guy wire which is in bounds is an obstruction.
    BUT the case of sapplings appears to be a local rule issue.

Areas of the Course Requiring Preservation; Environmentally-Sensitive Areas
    Assisting preservation of the course by defining areas, including turf nurseries, young plantations and other parts of the course under cultivation, as “ground under repair” from which play is prohibited.
    When the Committee is required to prohibit play from environmentally-sensitive areas that are on or adjoin the course, it should make a Local Rule clarifying the relief procedure.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by upanddown

I think it's a local rule, Casselview has that rule (or used too) written on their scorecard, I had to use that rule when my ball and swing was near some little trees, I took a free drop, my playing partner said "no", I said "yes". After I got home, I called the Casselview pro-shop, the guy said "yes"
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    I think it's a local rule, Casselview has that rule (or used too) written on their scorecard, I had to use that rule when my ball and swing was near some little trees, I took a free drop, my playing partner said "no", I said "yes". After I got home, I called the Casselview pro-shop, the guy said "yes"
    Protecting these small trees is essential and if the round is a casual one then take a drop where there is no chance of breaking any branches. If a tournament round, the trees should be marked and treated as obstructions.

A few years back a friend and I marked about two hundred small trees with the coloured, or flourescent marking tape at the course where we played, in about 2 hours. Taped trees were obstructions. Move the ball 1 club length from the nearest point that relieves you from the tree interfering with your stance or swing.

This is the one occasion where I become a tree hugger. We did this at Outaouais 42 years ago and look at the size of those small pines now.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Protecting these small trees is essential and if the round is a casual one then take a drop where there is no chance of breaking any branches. If a tournament round, the trees should be marked and treated as obstructions.

A few years back a friend and I marked about two hundred small trees with the coloured, or flourescent marking tape at the course where we played, in about 2 hours. Taped trees were obstructions. Move the ball 1 club length from the nearest point that relieves you from the tree interfering with your stance or swing.

This is the one occasion where I become a tree hugger. We did this at Outaouais 42 years ago and look at the size of those small pines now.
    dbleber:
    Well said. If we don't protect them the courses will look awfull. Why not just play in a farmers field? Trees help develop the feel of a course on make them fun. Most courses will have some type of marking to let you know to stay away. If not and it is just a fun round do as BC Mist mentioned, take a free drop.
    Denny

Thread Information