100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road

Tiger's Caddie Kicks Camera

Quote Originally Posted by TGC
    By Associated Press - June 18, 2004
    SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. -- Tiger Woods' caddie walked across the 10th tee at Shinne Hills Golf Club on Friday and kicked the camera of a photographer for the New York Daily News.

Steve Williams, who has been carrying Woods' bag for five years, kicked the camera of John Roca, who has been working for the newspaper for 33 years.

"He kicked my camera. I was holding it at eye level and he kicked it to try and knock it down and out of my hands," Roca said. "He came over and kicked it down and muttered something."

Williams left the course before being reached for comment.

Roca said he and three other photographers were taking pictures of Woods on the 10th tee, his first hole of the second round.

"We were kneeling down and ESPN was between us and Tiger," Roca said. "Tiger was not set. He was taking his practice strokes. We took a few pictures of him swinging, and while he was still getting ready and taking more practice swings, a photographer to the left of me took a few more shots. Tiger looked at me and the caddie walked about 15 feet to us lifted his foot. It happened so quick I didn't have a chance to take the camera away. There was uniformed security, and marshals were there."

Roca said he didn't go the USGA over the matter because he didn't want to cause any problems and didn't want to take a chance of having his credential taken away. He said there was no damage to the camera.

"I'm not going to do anything other than to say I was very disappointed and he was disrespectful," Roca said.

He left the tee and didn't follow Woods' group because he "didn't want to antagonize anyone."

The USGA did not get a definitive account of what happened and said no action would be taken.

At the Skins Game in 2002, when a fan took a picture as Woods prepared to hit from a bunker, Williams threw the lens into the pond surrounding the 18th green at Landmark Golf Club.
    Some people are very fortunate that Mr. Williams is nowhere close to here.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farzin

Some people are very fortunate that Mr. Williams is nowhere close to here.
    Just another example of how Tiger Woods is the "greatest thing for golf" and a " great role model for the next generation of golfers". I love his talent and his strong mental game, but as a player and superstar I always hope that he misses the cut or just shanks another one. I think his crying routine is starting to become just as famous as his pump or his walk to the hole. Ernie and Phil, now those are superstars and an asset to the game.
    Denny

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Just another example of how Tiger Woods is the "greatest thing for golf" and a " great role model for the next generation of golfers". I love his talent and his strong mental game, but as a player and superstar I always hope that he misses the cut or just shanks another one. I think his crying routine is starting to become just as famous as his pump or his walk to the hole. Ernie and Phil, now those are superstars and an asset to the game.
    Denny
    Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I wonder what we would catch you doing or saying if there were a camera on you everytime you left the house. Just a thought for the perfect people of the world.

Sure Ernie. Has never had a real job in his entire life. His father built him a practice putting green behind their 18,000 sq foot home when he was a teen. Just what every teen should expect form their parents. I know I relate to Ernie and the hard life he's had to endure.

Phil Mickelson. A notorious gambler. Those are awesome things kids should look up to. In fact maybe they should post his early super bowl pick so all kids can play pro line along with their Idol.

please. The I hate tiger because he gets mad routine is getting old.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Denny
    Did Tiger Woods change his name, because as far as I could tell, it was Steve Williams who kicked the camera.

Denny
    Although he doesn't have his a drive these days, but certainly he is displaying some of the best shots on tour that no body can match. with only 4 fairways hit, only he can manage to stay in contention and get the crowd exited. you may wish whatever you want but it's very evil and very sad that people like you and some others in this forum using this media to display their saddest wishes and their ugliest demons in public just to satisfy their own self. It's a shame for golf and golfers and golf fans to have people, display this kind of attitude towards the greatest golfer that history has ever seen.
    not that it matters, but I have been shamelessly called a Tiger lover on this forum just because I have tried to give credit to one that who deserves it the most and never had hoped for anybody's demise or failior, not like some so called golf fans . It's a shame.
    keep hoping and wishing.

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Did Tiger Woods change his name, because as far as I could tell, it was Steve Williams who kicked the camera.
    And on who's behalf do you believe he kicked the camera? And do you think Tiger will fire him for this or not?

According to the story (if you choose to believe it), the photographer who's camera was kicked was not even guilty of taking pictures at the time.

Not that KICKING SOMEONE should be sanctioned. What shocks me more is that the Tiger fans think this is ok. Nice behaviour, remind me to kick you next time you make noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I wonder what we would catch you doing or saying if there were a camera on you everytime you left the house. Just a thought for the perfect people of the world.

Sure Ernie. Has never had a real job in his entire life. His father built him a practice putting green behind their 18,000 sq foot home when he was a teen. Just what every teen should expect form their parents. I know I relate to Ernie and the hard life he's had to endure.

Phil Mickelson. A notorious gambler. Those are awesome things kids should look up to. In fact maybe they should post his early super bowl pick so all kids can play pro line along with their Idol.

please. The I hate tiger because he gets mad routine is getting old.
    dbleber:
    For one I am not a "superstar" making millions of dollars to do the thing I love, second Tiger did't grow up in the hood or anything and had to fight his way to the top. The guy has been babied from day one with talk shows when he was a kid, to endless coverage when he was in college. I did't say the Phil was a perfect human, no one is but he carries himself well on the course in front of the camera. I wish big John Daley would get drunk again and punch Tiger out! Now thats Television!!! I should have known that anything bad about your precious Tiger would get your panties in a bunch. So for all you Tiger lovers who hate to hear the truth I will let you have you little idol since you can't see past the media and advertising hype. Tiger is great. If it wasn't for Tiger golf would be nothing. Tiger can do what ever he wants because well, he's Tiger. There that should keep you guys happy again in your bubble.
    Denny

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Although he doesn't have his a drive these days, but certainly he is displaying some of the best shots on tour that no body can match. If his shots are so good, why is he 8 shots behind the leaders?

It's a shame for golf and golfers and golf fans to have people, display this kind of attitude towards the greatest golfer that history has ever seen. Guess that you have never heard of Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus? Take these three in their prime, give them today's equipment, and then compare. 4th place would still earn Tiger a good living.

Is tiger a great golfer? No. He used to be. I believe that you are only as good as your last round and each day you have to prove yourself.

Is he the best player in the world? The math says yes. His current results say no.

Is he capable of being the best player in the world, again? Obviously.

Would you teach your kids to behave like Tiger when he does not play well? Not me.

Is part of the animosity directed towards Tiger created by his over exposure by the media? Of course.

We should be able to admire him for his talent, but we should also be able to be honest enough to see his weaknesses, which he obviously has, instead of defending his every wrong move.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Although he doesn't have his a drive these days, but certainly he is displaying some of the best shots on tour that no body can match. If his shots are so good, why is he 8 shots behind the leaders?

It's a shame for golf and golfers and golf fans to have people, display this kind of attitude towards the greatest golfer that history has ever seen. Guess that you have never heard of Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus? Take these three in their prime, give them today's equipment, and then compare. 4th place would still earn Tiger a good living.

Is tiger a great golfer? No. He used to be. I believe that you are only as good as your last round and each day you have to prove yourself.

Is he the best player in the world? The math says yes. His current results say no.

Is he capable of being the best player in the world, again? Obviously.

Would you teach your kids to behave like Tiger when he does not play well? Not me.

Is part of the animosity directed towards Tiger created by his over exposure by the media? Of course.

We should be able to admire him for his talent, but we should also be able to be honest enough to see his weaknesses, which he obviously has, instead of defending his every wrong move.
    Well said
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Andru / jonf / Farzin and mberube (although you havent posted here yet)
    I think you are missing the point of this. Steve Williams is Tiger's responsiblity. Steve Williams is getting paid by Tiger to do as he says. He was taught well.

Yet another hissy fit.

If his shots are so good, why is he 8 shots behind the leaders?
    BC MIST........... he's getting them right where he wants them. That monday/tuesday challenge awaits. Oh gee wait........ tournament ends sunday. Me silly.

As for the rest of BC MIST's post.........................
    Last edited by NoBack; 06-19-2004 at 11:51 AM.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam

Andru / jonf / Farzin and mberube (although you havent posted here yet)
    I think you are missing the point of this. Steve Williams is Tiger's responsiblity. Steve Williams is getting paid by Tiger to do as he says. He was taught well.

Yet another hissy fit.

BC MIST........... he's getting them right where he wants them. That monday/tuesday cahllenge awaits.

As for the rest of BC MIST's post.........................
    I think missing the point is a conscious decision, made out of blind affinity for Tiger. Nothing wrong with being a fan, and even defending the guy when he comes under fire in forums or conversations, but it seems that perspective gets lost sometimes.

If I understand correctly, this is at least the second time that a camera has fallen prey to Tiger's caddy. Maybe he should try to land an endorsement deal with Nikon or something. The commercial would be Tiger, Frank and Steve Williams. They are in exactly the same spot where they filmed the ad with Charles Barkeley, and Frank is mocking Steve Williams saying stuff like "Barkeley put it close, and we've all seen his lame-ass swing..." and Williams keeps hitting balls into the lake. Then, he gets all pissed off and grabs whatever model of Nikon camera he's endorsing and kicks it over the lake and right next to the pin. "Nikon: When Things Aren't Going Well, Kick One".

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Then, he gets all pissed off and grabs whatever model of Nikon camera he's endorsing and kicks it over the lake and right next to the pin. "Nikon: When Things Aren't Going Well, Kick One".

That or even..................... - while the shot is in flight............. Frank Looking at Tiger saying something like "picture purrrrrrrrrrrrfect"

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    That or even..................... - while the shot is in flight............. Frank Looking at Tiger saying something like "picture purrrrrrrrrrrrfect"

Awesome!!!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    The point of my post was simple if you WANT to hate someone enough. You WILL find a reason. It's that simple. The petty anecdotes displayed here are proof of that.

And before you try to make the argument that the Golf fans on this board are doing the same. Don't try it. I'm not the one wishing bad intentions on a another person. YOU are. I don't think I have to scrape through your posts( meaning all of the Tiger bashers posts) to remind you of the Ill will you've extensively wished, requested, hoped and dreamed on Tiger for doing no more than getting upset for a bad shot. and turning down an autograph for the 1,000,000th person who has asked him for one in his life.

And dbleber.

Making Millions of dollars doesn't make the guy LESS human or deserving of LESS respect.

Phil Mickelson is 34 years old. Tioger is 27, twenty freaking seven. I've said it many times. WHenver this discussuion comes up someone sites the greats as examples of true mentors. Tiger has to be a greaT player like Nicklaus, a people person like Arnie, and funny like Fuzzy. If he's not. "He's a spoiled kid with a bad attitude and I will route against him because he can't live up to this". Though you won't hold Phil Mickelson to the same standards. HMMMM. When was the last time you heard a Camera go off in PM's back swing on TV? UHH it's never happened in the last 3 years I've been watching golf. Live a life in their shoes then speak. Until then. Try to be fair.
    Ask youself do you hold EVERYONE to the same standards. It's not evident on these boards.

As I remember in his youth he (PM ) got into it with the media. Shot his mouth off. said things I'm sure he regrets. I don't remember hearing this BACKLASH and hatred for Phil. HMMM.

I just want to say that, first of all, I am NOT a Tiger fan, in fact, i love seeing him doing poorly. I just believe that it is short sighted to criticize every single move the guy makes - he's human, and just because he's a professional golfer, doesn't mean that he should be held to some higher, unattainable standard. I don't feel I'm standing up for Tiger, I'm just standing up for common sense.

I just want to say that, first of all, I am NOT a Tiger fan, in fact, i love seeing him doing poorly. I just believe that it is short sighted to criticize every single move the guy makes - he's human, and just because he's a professional golfer, doesn't mean that he should be held to some higher, unattainable standard. I don't feel I'm standing up for Tiger, I'm just standing up for common sense.
    I love a good ethics debate

Why shouldn't Tiger or any other of these professional golfers/hockey players/politicians/rock star/movie star/etc be held to a higher standard? These people are in the public eye? Does Tiger have less influence on a child watching golf than a child watching the last leadership debate? He probably has more. And Fuzzy, a funny guy on Tour, gets ostricized when he made his "humourous" comments after Tiger won his first Masters, and he should have been!

These people are making a lot of money, mostly from the average Joe, and it comes from him no matter what, a sponsor may give money to the Tour, but that money doesn't come from the Board's pockets, it comes from selling their product to you and me. The NHL continues because fans go to games. Would you want your kids to emulate Yashin or Daigle? How about Belfour and his incident with the police? Did Patrick Roy lose status because he got arrested for spousal abuse?

And golf is supposed to be a gentlemanly sport. I was disgusted with Frank Lickliter one tournament when he made a bad shot and slammed his club into the ground doing damage.

And Andru, I'm not upset that Tiger doesn't sign autographs, I don't care if he does or doesn't. What I don't like is that his PR machine has got him in commercial after commercial, doing things like the Buick challange last year, just dropping by and playing a hole with common folk, or especially talking about the First Tee program with the kids. The commercials build him up in the kids eyes, and then when they see him in real life, they don't understand. They don't understand that someone sold some articles on eBay with Tiger's signature on them, and someone in the Tiger management decided that Tiger's signature was being devalued because he signs autographs. It's a shame.

Here's a couple of articles on it...

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/5-25-2001-3395.asp
    http://archive-an.aap.com.au/asianet...8?OpenDocument

And I came across this one, which I find has a similar mindset to what I feel.

http://www.hollywoodlitsales.com/cf/...cfm?intID=1744
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

The point of my post was simple if you WANT to hate someone enough. You WILL find a reason. It's that simple. The petty anecdotes displayed here are proof of that.

And before you try to make the argument that the Golf fans on this board are doing the same. Don't try it. I'm not the one wishing bad intentions on a another person. YOU are. I don't think I have to scrape through your posts( meaning all of the Tiger bashers posts) to remind you of the Ill will you've extensively wished, requested, hoped and dreamed on Tiger for doing no more than getting upset for a bad shot. and turning down an autograph for the 1,000,000th person who has asked him for one in his life.

And dbleber.

Making Millions of dollars doesn't make the guy LESS human or deserving of LESS respect.

Phil Mickelson is 34 years old. Tioger is 27, twenty freaking seven. I've said it many times. WHenver this discussuion comes up someone sites the greats as examples of true mentors. Tiger has to be a greaT player like Nicklaus, a people person like Arnie, and funny like Fuzzy. If he's not. "He's a spoiled kid with a bad attitude and I will route against him because he can't live up to this". Though you won't hold Phil Mickelson to the same standards. HMMMM. When was the last time you heard a Camera go off in PM's back swing on TV? UHH it's never happened in the last 3 years I've been watching golf. Live a life in their shoes then speak. Until then. Try to be fair.
    Ask youself do you hold EVERYONE to the same standards. It's not evident on these boards.

As I remember in his youth he (PM ) got into it with the media. Shot his mouth off. said things I'm sure he regrets. I don't remember hearing this BACKLASH and hatred for Phil. HMMM.
    dbleber:
    All professional sports persons should be held on a higher level. But I didn't see anyone else KICK a camera man for taking a shot of a pratice swing! The fact that they are paid millions of dollars is a huge point to why they should be judged differently than the average Joe. They do not lead average lifes, they fly their own helicopters to the course, have a club built before a round (no cost) and have any thing they want. Your right I would trade all of that if it meant I had to be on TV 4 days a week with a total TV time of maybe 2 hours (except Tigger give him an extra couple of hours). Wait a minute that doesn't seem so bad after all. Lets see Tiger get that hotty working at Wal-Mart! When your the #1 player in the world you are held at a higher standard and must act like it. When you represent youth organizations you have to act like it. Throwing clubs and balls, kicking camera men (caddie or not) and cursing and swearing is not the behavior of the #1 player in the world no matter who it is. If this was any other player behaving like this week after week the PGA, media and golf fans would be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie.

Andru,
    You and I disagree on this topic. The past has proven this. My comments are never directed at you personnally but to all who defend this type of behavior. To me that is not holding everyone to the same standards.
    By the way Thanks for the tips on the homemade inside approach! It works great
    Denny

What forum are you reading? I for one, love to see Tiger do well. I do NOT like to hear what a great golfer he is when he's not doing well. Keep the cameras on the leaders.

Here's my question, Mr. Morals: how can you DEFEND the action Steve Williams took? That makes you the glass house guy, in my book.

Okay, i feel it is important that a few distinctions be made here:
    1 - Tiger Woods didn't kick a cameraman
    2 - Steve Williams didn't kick a cameraman, he kicked a camera (not gentelmanly, but also not assault)
    3 - Tiger didn't find out about the incident until after the round - doubtful that it was done at his bidding

It is one thing to hold Tiger Woods accountable for his own words and actions. It is a far different issue to hold him accountable for the actions of another independant human being. Furthermore, although i agree that professional athletes do need to be held to a higher standard, we cannot expect them to be saints. We don't want them going around strangling coaches, or swinging at refs, but is it really a big deal if they happen to swear when they're upset? I'm sure there are some who would argue that this type of verbal display is unacceptable, and those people can go and live in their little fantasy world where everything, and everyone is perfect, and no one never gets angry, and everyone is happy all the time. It is utterly ridiculous to expect perfection out of these individuals simply because they permanently have a camera stuck in their face. Gimme a break.

Okay, i feel it is important that a few distinctions be made here:
    1 - Tiger Woods didn't kick a cameraman
    2 -
    Steve Williams is a professional caddy who is responsible for all his actions not Tiger Woods, as all the other professional are.
    Steve William just doing his job protecting his employee kicking some ignorant photographer's camera in order to stop him or them from harassing him and his employee.
    They should know what NO means and if Tiger doesn't want to be bothered with cameras clicking and flashing around him, then these reporters should stop it. no is no.
    If Tiger is not well liked by the fans, then what the heck they want his photo for. If Tiger is not well liked then why some of you guys crying for not him signing autographs for kids or anybody else, why do you care? Do you want his autograph and he is not giving it to you, then you like him and you are just mad because he is not giving it to you. these guys all love Tiger and his behaviour and just like to fallow him everywhere because he is the story line for them.
    Why is there so much demand for his autograph, because he is number ONE. and number one's autograph is not cheap and is a lot different than number 2 and 3's autograph. even if they give it me I won't take it, because I don't care for PM's autograph. It's dime a dozen.

First off Farzin, no human being has the right to kick ANYONE. He should be brought up on assault charges. Any attack towards a human being, even verbal threats, is technically assault. He knocked it while it was up to his eye, im not sure how you avoid physical contact then.

Second, according to the camera man, it wasnt even him clicking.

Third, the pictures were going on during his warm up

Fourth, Tiger is responsible for actions taken by his caddy on his behalf.

Being the states, I hope the photographer sues his ass off.

have you seen how long camera lenses are these days? He could have kicked the thing out of his hands from 3 feet away...

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Steve William just doing his job protecting his employee kicking some ignorant photographer's camera in order to stop him or them from harassing him and his employee.
    They should know what NO means and if Tiger doesn't want to be bothered with cameras clicking and flashing around him, then these reporters should stop it. no is no.
    As a photographer who has been inside the ropes at a tour event, I'll tell you this; There are rules, and consequences for not obeying them. You sign an agreement that outlines what you can and cannot do. Steve Williams does not make the rules, nor is he the designated enforcer.

Amature photographers are not allowed to bring cameras into the venue, and there is an army of enforcers to collect them - Colby has been on the "Tiger watch" as a member of that team as many of you know.

If a pro photographer violates a "don't" they have people - security to deal with it.

If anyone had kicked my camera, they would be sued. These lenses are worth thousands of dollars.

Is it harassment for a photographer to do his job? It's not like they followed him into his bathroom. It's called "coverage".

I just heard that Steve just "confiscated" yet another camera from a photographer today. Where the @#$%^&* does this jerk get off???

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Steve Williams is a repeat offender and clearly on the track of getting sued. Hopefully someone sends him a message.

What an annoyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I just heard that Steve just "confiscated" yet another camera from a photographer today. Where the @#$%^&* does this jerk get off???
    Don't forget the camera that Setev Williams threw into the lake at the Skins game a couple of years ago. I was at that one. Tiger was in the bunker and heard the click during his swing in a charity event that he was out of the money in. Steve grabbed the camera and threw it in the lake.

http://www.americanphotojournalist.c...php?post_id=19
    Colby

After today's incendent, Sir Williams was told not take things into his own hands.

I guess he was warned to let the proper autority take care of that stuff. They wanted him to do his own job and leave the camera kicking for someone else.

I wonder if Tiger was warned by the PGA about his employee's repeat stupidity and if there will be any fines or discipline? :shake

Andru
    dbleber:

Andru,
    You and I disagree on this topic. The past has proven this. My comments are never directed at you personnally but to all who defend this type of behavior. To me that is not holding everyone to the same standards.
    By the way Thanks for the tips on the homemade inside approach! It works great
    Denny
    Cool I need to use that thing again I'm glad I have 3 kicking around.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    What forum are you reading? I for one, love to see Tiger do well. I do NOT like to hear what a great golfer he is when he's not doing well. Keep the cameras on the leaders.

Here's my question, Mr. Morals: how can you DEFEND the action Steve Williams took? That makes you the glass house guy, in my book.
    Deep Woods.

Really Why don't you quote the part in my post when I said what steve williams did was fine???

Second. Why don't you take a quote from my post where I threw a stone? Other than the sarcastic examples of Ernie and Phil Mickelson I used to illustrate my point.

You have me mistaken. or you didn't GET my point. Could be my writing. Please expand.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Maybe Steve Williams should stick to club selection, wind direction, hole location, and yardage - all of which are part of his job. After he confiscated the camera today, Woods came up a club short on the par 3.Also based on the words of Ray Floyd (who was a former employer of Williams) on TV, Williams has acted like this for years and he seemed to think it was fully known and endorssed by Tiger. He also seemed to imply he (Floyd) supported Williams when he did it while toting Floyd's bag many years ago. I think the USGA got it right warning him and informing Williams that security professionals will deal with it and he shoulkd back off.

Deep Woods.

Really Why don't you quote the part in my post when I said what steve williams did was fine???

Second. Why don't you take a quote from my post where I threw a stone? Other than the sarcastic examples of Ernie and Phil Mickelson I used to illustrate my point.

You have me mistaken. or you didn't GET my point. Could be my writing. Please expand.
    Here's a response i stole from you: yawn !

Thread Information