100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Who is the worst golfer to ever win a major?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shaun Micheel

4 11.76%
  • Ben Curtis

3 8.82%
  • Ian Baker-Finch

6 17.65%
  • Steve Jones

1 2.94%
  • Mark Brooks

3 8.82%
  • Paul Lawrie

7 20.59%
  • Rich Beem

10 29.41%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

Who is the worst golfer to ever win a major?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    i'd like to see david duval on that list

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    The correct answer isn't even on your list... Seve Ballesteros. He won several majors, and were it not for his short game and pure determination coudn't even beat you... His short game is gone now and so is he.

3 Iron TheBananaSlice is on a distinguished road
    Paul Lawrie should at least get an honorable mention though...he's at least one of the worse and one of the ugliest...scratch that...the ugliest (although david does have some crispy ears...they look like something you would feed your dog)

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    what kind of question is that...

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69
    dbleber:
    I know that they are a hell of a lot better than me and you for that matter! This is the stupidest question or post I have seen on here yet.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    The correct answer isn't even on your list... Seve Ballesteros. He won several majors, and were it not for his short game and pure determination coudn't even beat you... His short game is gone now and so is he.
    That seems a little shortsighted to me. Everybody says that the most important part of golf is the short game. You're saying that because that was his strength, his saving grace, that he's a bad golfer. But, doesn't it actually make him a good golfer if he can consistently (won a few majors) pull out a good score on account of a good short game. After all, its the most important, and most difficult part of golf.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    That seems a little shortsighted to me. Everybody says that the most important part of golf is the short game. You're saying that because that was his strength, his saving grace, that he's a bad golfer. But, doesn't it actually make him a good golfer if he can consistently (won a few majors) pull out a good score on account of a good short game. After all, its the most important, and most difficult part of golf.
    Good comeback. Tiger made the cut yesterday because he got up and down on 13 of the 17 occasions where he missed the green indicating the his short game and putting have not deserted him, even when his swing has.

Major tournaments are usually won by players who keep the ball in play, good putting and those who are skillful with the wedge, not guys who beat the ball 325 yards.

Seve was a jerk, but no-one can dispute his skill at getting out of trouble, his skill with the wedge, and oh, what a beautiful putting stroke he had in his prime!

If you want to become a good golfer, practice three things: short game, short game, short game.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    This may be the dumbest poll question I've ever seen in this forum. If you win a major, you were the BEST PLAYER OVER FOUR ROUNDS, PERIOD!!!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

I think those who criticize this poll are missing the point. I doubt that anyone would debate that these players were the best over four rounds in their major (obviously since they won). Looking for the worst player to have won a major must look beyond those four rounds. Most of the guys in the list have proven themselves incapable of putting together another four rounds of decent golf (see Paul Lawrie or in Ben Curtis' case even two decent consecutive rounds). You could look at the players in the poll without even examining their performance in their major victory. For the most part these guys are the duffers of the PGA.

To include players like Ben Curtis in this pool is unfair and misguided, as a player like Curtis has not been given the chance to prove himself - it has not even been a year since his victory at the British Open, and to conclude after 1 year that he is the worst player to ever win a major is completely preposterous.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBananaSlice
    I think those who criticize this poll are missing the point. I doubt that anyone would debate that these players were the best over four rounds in their major (obviously since they won).

Thank you Banana Slice...I couldn't have said it better myself. The poll was not to criticize the players I've listed. Clearly, some just don't quite get it.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69
    Thank you Banana Slice...I couldn't have said it better myself. The poll was not to criticize the players I've listed. Clearly, some just don't quite get it.
    I understand the question, but not the motive, if "not to criticize the players" then perhaps you could elighten us??? I fail to see any other reason for this one.

For the most part these guys are the duffers of the PGA
    Is this the part where we don't critisize the players? Hmmm, I'm still not seeing any other point to this.

If the poll offends anyone in this forum, then by all means, delete it or ignore it. It's only in good fun and this poll is no different then some of the others.

Not offensive, nor deserving of deletion. Just pointless and in poor taste in my opinion.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I agree... When you win a major, you were the better golfer over those four days. You may never win again but on those four days, you've outplayed everybody else...

Maybe the poll shoud have asked: "Which of the following has the least chance of winning a major again?" Does that sound less offensive?

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    I know that they are a hell of a lot better than me and you for that matter! This is the stupidest question or post I have seen on here yet.
    Denny
    Yes - so stupid in fact that there have been 17 posts, most of them attacking em69 for his post & 21 people have voted on the topic.

I say give em69 a break, it's just an off-the-cuff, irrelevant sort of question. If you think the thread is stupid, ignore it.
    I've certainly seen quite a few posts that have nothing to do with golf whatsoever, at least this is golf related, and with the Bristish Open coming it's timely as well.

Em - I think with your next thread you should take it to the next level - you know - a la Jerry Springer - who's the ugliest golfer ever to win a major?

Wow! Paul Lawrie wins again!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Way too much time on our hands when we start getting on each others nerves over a poll question. I wonder if mine was just as "stupid"?

I thought it was a good question, and so did many others. The fact you (dbleber)
    dont like the question is another matter. I bet your beer is half empty and not half full...................
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

It really was an off the cuff poll and am quite surprised at the reactions. Maybe I should have worded the poll differently in order to avoid confusing those who can't understand it.

Dan K., I was quite surprised by your statement which said my poll my was "pointless and in poor taste". Quite frankly, I've been a member of this forum from almost day one and I have come to value your opinions/comments over the last 3 years. Since this is an open forum and my poll was not offensive, defamatory or against the rules in any way (not even close), I feel your comments were pointless and in poor taste...in my opinion.

It's a poll...lighten up.

I agree. I didnt really understand why people were getting upset about this poll, unless they were actually Paul Lawrie, Ben Curtis, Ian Baker Finch etc. (in which case I apologize for any tears i may have caused. ) Otherwise why protect these guys from a little light-hearted criticism?

Otherwise why protect these guys from a little light-hearted criticism?
    Critisizm just for the sake of it is pointless, unless there is an elememnt of comedy, as in poking fun at something. IMHO.

I certainly do not have my butt in a knot over this one. Fill yer boots.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBananaSlice
    Otherwise why protect these guys from a little light-hearted criticism?
    Wonder if that applies to the defence of Tiger Woods as well? Didn't think so.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    John Daly. (Lets see what this stirs up. )
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Look who's on top of the leaderboard right now (10:21am)
    Rich Beem

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Way too much time on our hands when we start getting on each others nerves over a poll question. I wonder if mine was just as "stupid"?
    Yes, it was...

Actually, while slightly mean spirited, I'm not offended by this poll, as I get the gist of what you're saying. But to object to it because its mean spirited would mean a GOOD number of posts would have to be "objected to", as they tend to digress to criticism.

I'm not even sure it is mean, as (a) our opinion is irrelevant to their performance, (b) they'll never read it, and (c) its the same idle chit chat you encounter at 90% of water coolers.

By the way, was Seve a jerk? I know he was hot headed, but what did he do?

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Pretty dumb question...... I shall not vote here..... "Who, out of Major Champions, is most unlikely to succeed in the future?", I'd give it a shot, but as far as telling winners that they suck..... well that's wrong man.

hehehe

This is time well spent in my eyes. Having some debate on golf related issues is fun.

Seve was one of those palyers that always tried to play with your mind whenever he could. He was one of the greatest scramblers to play this silly game, but he was also a jerk. I can remember when they were playing in a Ryder Cup and was loosing in his match to Mark O'Meara.

While Seve was in with a 5 and O'Meara was putting a 3footer for a 3 or 4. I know you dont have to give anyone a putt in match play, but come on 3 putts from 3 feet????? To tie????? Just as Mark was ready to pull the trigger on the putt. Seve stood up and gave him the putt, after his set up, after reading the line, after he was at address and in his backswing. That's being a jerk. :po
    Just one time that comes to mind.

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Just as Mark was ready to pull the trigger on the putt. Seve stood up and gave him the putt, after his set up, after reading the line, after he was at address and in his backswing. That's being a jerk.
    Oh, cool. I hate it and love it at the same time. Would have loved to have seen it...sad.

Talking

The facial expressions said it all.
    You know how when you look at your competitor to see if he is going to give the putt or not? Well, O'Meara did that twice with no indication Seve was going to give him the putt so he marked his ball and let Seve make his putt for bogie.
    Then when he did give it to him, O'meara kinda looked up at him and still made the putt (made it swallow the ball in fact) then looked back at him kinda like saying f you Seve. Was one of those must see tv (for golfers)

Thread Information