100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

out of bounds rules

i searched the out of bounds threads but didn't find the answer to my questions. here's what i understand in plain english about out of bounds:

1- if my ball is lost (outside a water hazard), i am penalized a stroke and i have to hit my next shot from the same place where i hit the last shot.

2- if my ball goes into a water hazard or lateral water hazard; i am penalized a stroke and i can hit my next shot from where the ball entered the hazard, or behind it, or take the shot from where the original shot was hit. "take the distance" i think is the term they use here.

3- what's the difference between red stakes and white stakes?

4- can you play a ball that is out of bounds? last weekend i hit a ball into a forest which did not have any white/red stakes or lines drawn; i found my ball in this forest and was able to chip back onto the fairway. is this legit?

i find the rulebook way of explaining rules very broad. i wish they'd 'dumb it down' a notch for us unsophisticated folks to comprehend.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    1. Correct.

2. Close. The rules for where you can take your drop are more specific than that but you got the general idea.

3. Red stakes are generally used to define a lateral water hazard and white stakes are out of bounds.

4. No. If the forest has not been defined as out of bounds then you can play it. Out of bounds can also be defined by boundary fences, roads, etc.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    1. Correct.

2. Close. The rules for where you can take your drop are more specific than that but you got the general idea.

3. Red stakes are generally used to define a lateral water hazard and white stakes are out of bounds.

4. No. If the forest has not been defined as out of bounds then you can play it. Out of bounds can also be defined by boundary fences, roads, etc.
    i am on the right track. thanks JV.

Sand Wedge ViciousEgo is on a distinguished road ViciousEgo's Avatar
    So yellow stakes that mark 'man made' hazards, like drainage or protected areas is when you can remove your ball one club length but not closer to the hole, without penalty?

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Yellow stakes mark water hazards (which are not lateral water hazards) so if you hit one into a yellow staked area you can

a. play it as it lies from the hazard (without grounding your club of course)

b. With a one stroke penalty drop the ball 2 club lenghts BEHIND the hazard in line with the point of entry

c. drop your ball as far back as you like in line with the flag and point of entry (with a one stroke penalty of course)

d. With a one stroke penalty reply the ball from the place of your previous shot.

Red stakes are lateral hazards and all the above options apply PLUS the option of dropping your ball laterally at the point of entry into the hazard (either side but no closer to the hole)

White stakes are OOB and there is no choice but stroke and distance

No stakes or boundry markers (like fences etc) equals no hazard and you have to play it as it lies if you can find it. (or declare it unplayable but then you have to drop it within one club length of where it is). If you can't find it its a Lost ball (stroke and distance)

I may not be completely right and welcome correction but thats my understanding

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Yellow stakes mark water hazards (which are not lateral water hazards) so if you hit one into a yellow staked area you can

a. play it as it lies from the hazard (without grounding your club of course)

b. With a one stroke penalty drop the ball 2 club lenghts BEHIND the hazard in line with the point of entry

c. drop your ball as far back as you like in line with the flag and point of entry (with a one stroke penalty of course)

d. With a one stroke penalty reply the ball from the place of your previous shot.

Red stakes are lateral hazards and all the above options apply PLUS the option of dropping your ball laterally at the point of entry into the hazard (either side but no closer to the hole)

White stakes are OOB and there is no choice but stroke and distance

No stakes or boundry markers (like fences etc) equals no hazard and you have to play it as it lies if you can find it. (or declare it unplayable but then you have to drop it within one club length of where it is). If you can't find it its a Lost ball (stroke and distance)

I may not be completely right and welcome correction but thats my understanding
    Try this:
    Yellow stakes indicate a water hazard. Options:
    1. Play it as it lies
    2. Stroke and distance 1PS
    3. drop a ball on a line from the hole keeping the point where it last crossed the margin of the hazard between you and the hole with no limit as to how far you may walk back along that line. 1PS

Red stakes indicate lateral water hazard. Options:
    1. All of the above
    2. Drop a ball outside the hazard within two club lengths of where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard, NOT nearer the hole. 1 PS
    3. drop a ball outside the hazard within two club lengths of the opposite margin of the hazard, equidistant from the hole. 1 PS

Red and yellow stakes are usually moveable obstructions; white stakes are not obstructions - no relief. A ball touching the hazard line is IN the hazard; for a ball to be OB, ALL of it must be out of bounds.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    so I was pretty close...I actually enjoy learning the rules

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    so I was pretty close...I actually enjoy learning the rules
    Try this link

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules...and-Decisions/

Move the left hand slider to the top and then read the Definitions of Out of Bounds, Water Hazards, Lateral Water Hazards and Lost Ball

Thread Information