CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Does Mats Sundin belong in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely - In his first year of eligibility

6 28.57%
  • Yes, but not in his first year

12 57.14%
  • Not Sure

2 9.52%
  • Absolutely Not - No cup, no finals, no individual awards, good player but a career loser

1 4.76%
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

Mats Sundin in the Hockey Hall of Fame

Now that Mats has officially retired (or has he) it is time for the inevitable debate.........Does he deserve to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Of course! He'll be enshrined right alongside Salming in the 'Floater' wing
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Start writing the speech.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    You are missing the Who Cares category...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Admit it. You are fascinated by the of the intrigue that surrounds the NHL and its leadership. Compared to that cast of characters, Sundin is a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    You are missing the Who Cares category...
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    He'll get in, but only because Toronto desperately needs a hall of famer who didn't retire 40 years ago.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    He's a lot better than a lot of the players inducted in the 90s and early part of this decade.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    Of course! He'll be enshrined right alongside Salming in the 'Floater' wing
    Cool, then at least Alfie will have some company when he gets there too.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Bogie iggsplode is on a distinguished road
    he'll get in but not in his first year.. too many people that had a better career ahead of him.. roenick and sakic(no brainer) will see the hall before him.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    He's a lot better than a lot of the players inducted in the 90s and early part of this decade.
    Agreed. Let's see...

Darryl Sittler
    Gilbert Perreault
    Marcel Dionne
    Michel Goulet
    Peter Stastny
    Denis Savard
    Mike Gartner
    Dale Hawerchuk
    Bernie Federko
    Rod Languay
    Pat LaFontaine
    Cam Neely
    Ron Francis

Yeah, he'll get in.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

He's cheap and dirty, and somehow managed to carry the Leafs just far enough to tease every Leaf fan. He grabbed the big cash from Vancouver last year and did nothing. He'll get in, but hopefully not for a long time. Unfortunately the Hall of Fame sits in Toronto, so he may get in sooner than I feel he deserves.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

He's cheap and dirty, and somehow managed to carry the Leafs just far enough to tease every Leaf fan. He grabbed the big cash from Vancouver last year and did nothing. He'll get in, but hopefully not for a long time. Unfortunately the Hall of Fame sits in Toronto, so he may get in sooner than I feel he deserves.
    Cheap and dirty?? Since when?? Time to take those blinders off.

Never failed to show up for work. Gave 100% every time out, on some of the worst teams. Never, ever complained. Never aired the team's dirty laundry in public (Emery, Heatley, etc...). The 2nd best all time at controlling the play below the opponent's goal line (I'll give that one to Gretzky). Had every right in the universe to not waive his no-trade clause. Contributed significantly down the stretch in Vancouver's playoff run, and would have gone further if Luongo hadn't gone on vacation....

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Cheap and dirty?? Since when?? Time to take those blinders off.

Never failed to show up for work. Gave 100% every time out, on some of the worst teams. Never, ever complained. Never aired the team's dirty laundry in public (Emery, Heatley, etc...). The 2nd best all time at controlling the play below the opponent's goal line (I'll give that one to Gretzky). Had every right in the universe to not waive his no-trade clause. Contributed significantly down the stretch in Vancouver's playoff run, and would have gone further if Luongo hadn't gone on vacation....
    Yeah, someone has blinders on all right!

His specialty was the cross-check in the back - that's about the only thing he gave 100% every time out. Playmaking was average. He got a lot of points with a good shot and a knack for getting open in front of the net, and was well-liked by the Toronto media and teammates. That will probably be enough to get him in.

The respect for him extended beyond the GTA. As for scoring points, he averaged about one a game. When considered in conjunction with all of his other attributes, that's not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Yeah, someone has blinders on all right!

.... was well-liked by the Toronto media and teammates. That will probably be enough to get him in.

He will forever be tainted by the Blue and White in my eyes. Nothing good ever comes out of Toronto!
    Colby

Now there's an objective assessment of a player's skills, bereft of any bias.

He will forever be tainted by the Blue and White in my eyes. Nothing good ever comes out of Toronto!

Baxter
    The only way he should get in, is with a Ticket just like the rest of us....My goodness that is not a Hall of Famer...with that being said the TO media will vote him in...Just my .02 cents

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Thank god that's over. Now take Brett Favre with you.

Except that Favre is doing rather well leading the Vikings. His 94.5 rating is very good. Ask the people in Minn what they think, and I'm sure they'll insist that he remain with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Thank god that's over. Now take Brett Favre with you.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Except that Favre is doing rather well leading the Vikings. His 94.5 rating is very good. Ask the people in Minn what they think, and I'm sure they'll insist that he remain with the team.
    so far so good. he also looked great last year for about 12 games. the thing i dont like about Favre is how every offseason he held GB hostage. It wasn't fair to the team. All he had to say was "yes I will be the QB next year". Instead he took advantage of the fact he was a fan favorite and used that leverage to handcuff the Packers GM from finding a new QB, or incorporating that guy in the offense. It was the Brett Favre show as long as Favre was there.

He is a great QB when asked not to do too much. Right now he's in the perfect situation. I just dont have a positive view of the guy after what he did to GB.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Now there's an objective assessment of a player's skills, bereft of any bias.
    I'll admit that I'm biased! When I grew up in Vancouver we had a joke...

Why do the trees lean towards the East? Because Toronto sucks!
    Colby

3 Iron Strangebrew is on a distinguished road Strangebrew's Avatar
    Been a Habs fan my whole life and goes against my grain to write this... but Mats deserves to be in the HOF on first ballot. Forget his tenure with the Leafs, they never had anyone that could play with him. He's first Swedish born player to get 500 goals in the NHL, gold medal in the olympics, outstanding play with the Swedish international and world cup teams.

Thread Information