+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge explore is on a distinguished road explore's Avatar

Woods First Athlete to Earn $1 Billion; Wie in Action, Ochoa Looking to Defend

Heres a link to that article

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I read an article a while back in one of the serious papers (I think it might of even been the Financial Times) predicting that Woods would be the first person (athlete or otherwise) to EARN one billion dollars.

They argued that all other billionnaires had gained their money through inheritance or more commonly investments which had returned handsomely. Many had developed a product or company and then sold it or paid themselves in shares which became worth billions. (eg Bill Gates). Others had earned millions, invested wisely and ended up worth billions.

Tiger Woods however would be the first person to be earn 1 billion dollars in sallary. (Tour winnings, Endorsements, Appearance etc). I belive thay predicted this before the economic downturn and suggested it might be 3-5 years off but still a sobering thought

Actually when you think about it, it's a bit bizarre really isn't it. 1 BILLION dollars just for being uncannily good at hitting a small ball into a small hole some distance away.

Compare that to what doctors (or better yet nurses) earn, teachers, scientists working hard every day to find cures for cancer etc, aid workers, social workers, firefighters etc etc ad nausium.

If Tiger Woods had never been born would the world really be so different? Yet he gets 1 billion dollars for doing, ultimately, something pretty meaningless.

It really is a funny old world

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    If Tiger Woods had never been born would the world really be so different?
    Of course it would, who would the Tiger Haters have to bash and who would the golf analysts have to gush over and show ad nauseum on TV???

Yet he gets 1 billion dollars for doing, ultimately, something pretty meaningless.
    Golf meaningless????? Goochy,what are you smoking tonight?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    If Tiger Woods had never been born would the world really be so different? Yet he gets 1 billion dollars for doing, ultimately, something pretty meaningless.
    Tiger may have not performed open heart surgery, or pumped someone's stomach when they OD'd, but I would imagine that he's changed the lives of plenty of children through his foundation.

There are some whiners on here that complain about his temper / poor etiquette, but when you compare him to the likes of Plaxico Burress, or the countless number of millionaire athletes who would rather get behind the wheel of a car, than throw down a few bills for a taxi or limo, there isn't much of an arguement about his character.

In a world where greedy CEO's get paid 8 figure bonuses while swindling thousands of blue-collar workers out of their life-savings, Tiger Woods deserves everything that he's worked so hard to earn. Good for him.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Of course it would, who would the Tiger Haters have to bash and who would the golf analysts have to gush over and show ad nauseum on TV???

Golf meaningless????? Goochy,what are you smoking tonight?

you're right mate...i was having a moment of weakness...I'm better now!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Tiger may have not performed open heart surgery, or pumped someone's stomach when they OD'd, but I would imagine that he's changed the lives of plenty of children through his foundation.

There are some whiners on here that complain about his temper / poor etiquette, but when you compare him to the likes of Plaxico Burress, or the countless number of millionaire athletes who would rather get behind the wheel of a car, than throw down a few bills for a taxi or limo, there isn't much of an arguement about his character.

In a world where greedy CEO's get paid 8 figure bonuses while swindling thousands of blue-collar workers out of their life-savings, Tiger Woods deserves everything that he's worked so hard to earn. Good for him.
    Don't get me wrong...I obviously have huge respect for Woods as a golfer and have no problem with him as a person...I know he has donated much to charity. I just think it's a funny old world where we reward people so hugely...I mean 1 billion dollars is just such an abstract sum...for playing a game well.

I think I need to play a round...it's been nearly two weeks...i've lost perspective..lol

Thread Information