CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge tpsdoodle is on a distinguished road

Stonebridge Closing Dates

Monday October 5th – Minor construction begins on the Front Nine until Friday October 9th. Regular tee-times will still be available.

Tuesday October 13th – Back Nine will be CLOSED for the remainder of the year in order to ensure completion of necessary construction. We will still have the Front Nine open for regular play and regular tee-times. If you wish to play 18, please remember to book 2 tee times.

Saturday October 31st – COURSE CLOSED. In order to ensure completion of all construction and course changes we will not have temporary greens or any golf play as of this date.

Fall Green Fees:

Beginning Monday September 28th - $45 green fee before 3:00pm, $30 green fee after 3:00pm (7-days/week).
    Beginning Tuesday October 13th - $30 green fee for the 9-hole course ($15 replay rate for an 18-hole round).

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Drove by today and the work has certainly begun. As I said, I was driving by, so am not 100% sure all that I saw but could see that the black tee box on number one was all torn out and it looks like it was being rebuilt directly behind the whites and blues (I know they are not lined up but if you know the course you can get the idea). It looked as if they may have been building the new black tee on the opposite side of the cart path than the other tees.
    Also, and this I'm not too sure on, but it looked like both bunkers on the left side of the 9th green had been removed/filled in with soil. The bunkers on the right of the green appeared untouched. Anyone who played it the last day or two have anything to add?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    When I played on Sunday the starter said they would be moving the back teebox on #1 to the other side of the path. This of course is absolutely the wrong thing to do if you want to protect the houses on the right since where it is now you actually have to hit away from the houses.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    When I played on Sunday the starter said they would be moving the back teebox on #1 to the other side of the path. This of course is absolutely the wrong thing to do if you want to protect the houses on the right since where it is now you actually have to hit away from the houses.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Now you can aim down the fairway from the blacks, which will cause some players to lose shots right. It makes sense to me from a golf layout, but is the opposite in terms of protecting homes, unless they are going to extend the line of trees all the way down the right of all of the tees now.

Extending the line of trees won't help because they won't be high enough to prevent balls from going over.

Extending the line of trees won't help because they won't be high enough to prevent balls from going over.
    True. I was thinking more to push the line of site toward the left side of the hole (e.g. toward the far bunkers). More for altering set up than to actually stop wayward balls. Those silly little trees that were by the old blacks seemed to serve that purpose a bit too well in my oppinion.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    From Stonebridge:
    We are no longer closing the back nine on Oct 13th. The entire course will be open until Oct 31 (last day of golf will be Oct 30) Construction will be going during this time but shouldn’t interfere too much with play.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Gap Wedge Kosmo is on a distinguished road Kosmo's Avatar
    I played Stonebridge yesterday, work was underway to fill in a bunker on #8 between the two fairways, cloesest bunker to the 100 yard marker. The back bunkers at the green on #9 have also been filled in.

I don't agree with removing bunkers on 8. It is all about risk/Reward.

Played today and they may actually be removing more than one bunker on #8 based on the amount of dirt they have piled. Plain stupid if you ask me. It will be bombs away on #8 now.

And what's with removing the back bunkers on #9? Those actually stopped balls from going over the hill into the junk so unless they keep the fescue down it doesn't help anything.

And the new back tee box on #1 is also just plain stupid. All they've done is put the houses on the right MORE in play.

Played today and they may actually be removing more than one bunker on #8 based on the amount of dirt they have piled. Plain stupid if you ask me. It will be bombs away on #8 now.
    Ridiculous. That hole will be pretty easy if they leave it as it and remove those bunkers. Perhaps they are going to change the way the cut the fairway and make it much more narrow and a truer dogleg. Otherwise, I agree, with the width of that landing area with no middle bunkers...bombs away.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    The (apparent) changes to #8 are ludicrous. There was nothing wrong with the hole in the first place. The only defence this hole really has is those bunkers.

I'd love to hear the logic behind the changes being made.

I played the course today. Very disappointed in the "so called sand" they are using to cover the fairways, there is actually pieces of stone mixed in. Not great for the face of a club! however, based on the weather forcast it may not make much of a difference for this season.
    What I heard from the Starter today, some bunkers on #1, far left side are to disappear, #10, blues tees are to move left, in front of on the blacks. #13 bunker in the fairway to be removed. #14 fairway to be raised a foot or so nearest the pond and #16 raised 6 feet nearest the pond. There is some enviromental concerns with these two changes, they are waiting on the permits to start the construction.
    There is to be a members meeting this week to detail the changes being made.

Boy, I whoever the "consultants" they hired are, they need to be kept really far away from any golf courses I play.

They've already messed up #1 by moving the tees, so taking the bunkers away is the next step. Moving the blue tees on #10 puts the houses more in play the same as #1. That bunker on #13 is integral to the design of the hole.

I can't wait to see what the new slope/rating is.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I haven't played it in a while but those design changes don't sit well with me.... Big mistakes IMO.... Argh!

Wow, the bunker on 13? Really? What will that serve? Also, the bunkers to the left of #1 have no business being removed. I think I'll attend on Wednesday to hear if this is in fact true, and also to hear the rational for these changes. I was under the impression based on past emails we received (as members), that the changes were almost 100% for conditioning reasons e.g. drainage. Removing the bunkers mentioned above certainly don't fit that bill, unless you count draining the pool of golfers who want to play the course....

The latest news on Stonebridge.
    #1 - Black Tees moved and the "hump" on the green,back right side to be removed/smoothed out to be able to add another pin placement.
    #2 - Bunkers between pond and the green - removed
    #3 - fescue down the left side to be cut and maintained as fescue - 8" - to enable the golfer a "shot" out of the stuff
    #5 - drainage to be fixed at/near the 250yd marker, fescue down the right side cut and maintained at 8"
    #6 - drainage to be fixed at the 200yd marker
    #8 - furtherest bunker between the two fairways at the 100yd marker, removed, and a couple of hills removed/smoothed out at the 100yd marker
    #9 - bunkers at the back of the green removed and become at collection area similar to the front left side of this green or the back of #14 ( for who are familiar with the course)
    #10 - fescue issue - maintain and cut the left side to 8"
    #13 - bunker in the centre of fairway removed, fescue cut to 8"
    #16 - originally plan was to raise the fairway - unable to get authorization from the city to do so, they are permitted to change the drainage to pull the water away from the fairway allowing it to dry up quicker. Cut and maintain the fescue to 8"
    #18 - remove the bunkers at the right of the 250yd marker and cut and maintain the fescue to 8"

There appears to be alot of positive changes being made. Some of the changes come from complaint's from homeowners. Monarch is out to make money, and not getting it from the average green fee player who plays once and looses a dozen balls or shoots above his/her normal score because they missed fired into 3 foot high weeds. Most of the changes are not going effect the more seasoned player or long hitters, still have to hit it staight, but instead of loosing a ball and taking a stroke, will have a chance to find it and put it back into play. It appears they are trying to make a course that will be appealing to all, any age or gender.
    New yardage marker indicators at the t-boxes, (similar to having a yardage book or gps) to indicate distances to hazards or to key areas on the fairway from the the various teeing areas.
    RCGA is to re-evaluate the course in the spring.
    Green fee are to be lowered as well....will wait to see. But overall, I am looking forward to see the changes.

Well here's my assessment of those changes.

#1. The move of the tee box is stupid. Getting rid of that hump on the greens certainly makes the green easier. Anything long and right was dead before.

#2. What point does removing those bunker make? Dumb IHMO.

#8. As discussed before, silly.

#9. Silly.

#13. Beyond silly.

#18. Are all the bunkers gone? They weren't really in play so no a big deal really.

My prediction is that the rating falls by at least half a stroke and the slope drop 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmo View Post
    So if the RCGA are going to re-rate the course, Stonebridge must have re-joined the RCGA. The logical conclusion would be that the "season pass" will now be RCGA memberships with handicap cards and an Intersectional team.

They became and RCGA member club last year IIRC. There's a handicap computer in the proshop and I believe all the 5 and 7 day members are part of the "club". No intersectional team that I am aware of.

Gee you'd think they'd field a team.

I played with a couple of members two weeks ago and they said that while some good things about the club, apparently there's a good men's night, they generally weren't too happy with the pro.

I played with a couple of members two weeks ago and they said that while some good things about the club, apparently there's a good men's night, they generally weren't too happy with the pro.
    I don't think that is a very fair comment about the pro (I realize it is not your's but simply restating comments by some members). I think that his job is probably quite frustrating by times, as he answers to "non-golf" owners. Their decisions are almost completely in the best interest of the cooperation, which is not really a golf company. Also, he answers to people who are based in Toronto, and have very little knowledge of the course and the golf market in Ottawa.
    That being said, I was not too upset about the changes and the rational for them when I attended the members meeting the other night. Only one of the front bunkers on number two is being removed (the one on the left). The rational was that the average player (playing from whites and reds) has a hard time making the carry to the green, and if they do carry the pond, the first safe landing zone is a bunker. The one to the right, that was more in play from blue and black will remain. This was the same rational for the fairway bunker on 13. That area is the exact landing area for many people who hit driver or three wood from the white and red. For longer hitters from the blues and blacks the bunker can be avoided (I'm included in this group and have not been anywhere near that bunker all year, as the green is reachable with a three wood on most days from the blues). Maintaining the fescue is one of the best results of the changes to the course. What was there the last few years was not fescue, as the fescue had been chocked out by weeeds and waist high grass.
    The bottom line is, there are many choices for the average golfer paying green fees in Ottawa. If they leave a course shooting sevaral strokes over their normal score and losing every golf ball they own, they are not likely to return. IMO, it makes sense to try to soften the course a bit for these players, and at the same time, paying attention to not remove obstacles or hazards that come into play for the longer hitters playing from the blues and blacks.
    I guess we will see next season the final outcome of the changes.
    Last edited by tmacgolf; 10-18-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmo
    The latest news on Stonebridge.
    Thanks for this info Kosmo! Now my commentary.

I should start off by saying I don't really think there's much wrong with the golf course in the first place aside from a few drainage issues. Generally speaking, I don't think cutting down the fescue is a bad idea as it will give players a chance to recover while speeding up pace of play somewhat.

#1 - Black Tees moved and the "hump" on the green,back right side to be removed/smoothed out to be able to add another pin placement.
    As discussed already, the relocation of the back tee is asinine. I don't think the bump at the back right needs to be removed (the hole is difficult enough without it). It would give one additional hole location. It would be nice if put in a lowered chipping area right of the green.

#2 - Bunkers between pond and the green - removed
    Unnecessary and will take away from the look of the hole. Ultimately though, this hole is all about carrying the water so I doubt it'll make a huge difference in the scoring average.

#3 - fescue down the left side to be cut and maintained as fescue - 8" - to enable the golfer a "shot" out of the stuff
    Fine. But, won't that promote the possibility of **MORE** tee balls heading towards the houses?

#5 - drainage to be fixed at/near the 250yd marker, fescue down the right side cut and maintained at 8"
    Sounds good.

#6 - drainage to be fixed at the 200yd marker
    Hooray! One of the wettest spots on th course.

#8 - furtherest bunker between the two fairways at the 100yd marker, removed, and a couple of hills removed/smoothed out at the 100yd marker
    Again, I just don't understand this one. There was nothing wrong with this hole. All this does is take a hole of average difficulty and make it easier.

#9 - bunkers at the back of the green removed and become at collection area similar to the front left side of this green or the back of #14 ( for who are familiar with the course)
    Unnecessary, but since the bunkers get almost no play anyway, it won't really make any difference. I don't understand this one. If the purpose is to make the hole easier, why aren't they doing anything with the bunkers front / right?

#10 - fescue issue - maintain and cut the left side to 8"
    "BOMBS AWAY!"

#13 - bunker in the centre of fairway removed, fescue cut to 8"
    Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Having said that, now the only 2 reasons for me to NOT hit driver will be removed. Gee, I hope I don't hit any big slices into those houses!

#16 - originally plan was to raise the fairway - unable to get authorization from the city to do so, they are permitted to change the drainage to pull the water away from the fairway allowing it to dry up quicker. Cut and maintain the fescue to 8"
    Anything they can do to improve drainage here would be good.

#18 - remove the bunkers at the right of the 250yd marker and cut and maintain the fescue to 8"
    As jvincent said, these bunkers get almost no play so it won't make any real difference. It's odd though, if they're trying to keep tee shots away from the houses on the right, wouldn't they want to keep as much trouble over there as possible?

New yardage marker indicators at the t-boxes, (similar to having a yardage book or gps) to indicate distances to hazards or to key areas on the fairway from the the various teeing areas.
    This is an excellent idea and I don't understand why ALL courses don't do this. For a minimal one-time cost, they can provide players with a lot of useful information that will improve pace of play.

I don't think the slope / rating will drop as much as jvincent. I'll say the course rating drops by .3 and the slope by 5.

Green fee are to be lowered as well....will wait to see.
    This is the silver lining here. I've always been a big fan of Stonebridge but they priced themselves out of the market this year... and I don't mind paying a price premium for a good golf course. With the increase in green fees and their policy of not allowing the 'tickets' to be used on weekend mornings, it simply didn't make sense for me to play there vs. Loch March. Any idea what the new green fee will be? Realistically, I think $60 for this course is a pretty fair value.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    tmacgolf wrote:

"The bottom line is, there are many choices for the average golfer paying green fees in Ottawa. If they leave a course shooting sevaral strokes over par and losing every golf ball they own, they are not likely to return."

I played this course for the first time last week and I tend to agree with this statement above.

It's a difficult course I have to admit for my level playing at the white. I've found for many holes even with a good drive, my balls typically ended up near or in the harzards or traps. Then usually you have to face with an uneven lies for an approach shot to the elevelated green with sloping green. Added with the slow play, the frustration level really builds up.

If they want to make this an exclusive course for members whom have good golfing skills and wanted a better challenge, yes this is the course. However for a weekend hacker like myself and many others, it's not worth the money and the effort. It's certainly not a "fun" course for the >18 handicaps

Golf is pretty much about the good walk and having a good, relaxing time, this course is not for me at my playing level

Just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    tmacgolf wrote:

"The bottom line is, there are many choices for the average golfer paying green fees in Ottawa. If they leave a course shooting sevaral strokes over par and losing every golf ball they own, they are not likely to return."

I played this course for the first time last week and I tend to agree with this statement above.

It's a difficult course I have to admit for my level playing at the white. I've found for many holes even with a good drive, my balls typically ended up near or in the harzards or traps. Then usually you have to face with an uneven lies for an approach shot to the elevelated green with sloping green. Added with the slow play, the frustration level really builds up.

If they want to make this an exclusive course for members whom have good golfing skills and wanted a better challenge, yes this is the course. However for a weekend hacker like myself and many others, it's not worth the money and the effort. It's certainly not a "fun" course for the >18 handicaps

Golf is pretty much about the good walk and having a good, relaxing time, this course is not for me at my playing level

Just my 2c
    At our members meeting the other night, the pro/general manager said exactly that. He refered to the average golfer as someone with a handicap of 18-24 who is a green fee paying player. The changes that are not "drainage" related, are directed 100% at these players. One thing that many longer hitters and above average players don't realise about Stonebridge is the carry that is required on many of the holes off of the tee is really tough for many players. It is then very frustrating for these players to hit a good shot for their ability, carry the neccessary distance to the green or fairway, and then be penalized by landing in a hazard.

Another thing that I didn't realise until the meeting the other night, was that by removing 10 bunkers (which is what they are doing), Stonebridge will go from 90 to 80 bunkers, still far above most courses in the Ottawa area. The bunkers that were removed from the left side of the green was again, as a result of the shear difficulty of that approach for the average golfer. The 9th green is a long green that had bunkers on both sides, with deadly fescue/weeds just beyond the bunkers to the left and directly behind the green. The right side bunkers are very much in play on most approach shots. What this resulted in, was a nearly impossible shot for the average golfer. Either hit the green, come up short, or face a very difficult next shot to get up and onto the green. The changes are going to make the left side a bit of a safer miss. There will be a collection area before the fescue, so if a shot rolls off of the green, then all is not lost. A tricky chip out of the rough from a low collection area will still be needed, but at least it is not in a difficult bunker or fescue. There was simply nowhere for a miss on that hole.

I personally like the challenge the course provides, however, I also saw how empty the course was this year, and it was evident something had to be done to attract more green fee paying golfers. The course will remain a true test for all golfers, but perhaps won't cause as many people to play once and then never return.

In my opinion, there are (at least) 4 factors that contributed to Stonebridge being 'empty' this year:

1. Very poor course conditions.

2. Overcharging, particularly given #1.

3. The general state of the economy.

4. The 'difficulty' of the course.

As far as I can remember, there were never any issues filling up the course in previous seasons, so I'd say 1 - 3 were the primary causes.

Thread Information