100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nation Log Jam

Gap Wedge dirt magnet is on a distinguished road

Nation Log Jam

Played Nation for the first time today and was completely impressed with the layout and condition of the course. In golfing terms it was a fantastic day. So hats off to course maintenance. There was one sore point however, and that was the player log jam between holes. We left 1 at 3:00pm, moved at the pace of the the groups ahead and weren't able to finish our round. We played 15 in almost complete darkness and had to navigate our way slowly back to the club house without even really seeing what 16, 17 and 18 looked like.

As mentioned, this was a really enjoyable round from a golfing standpoint. So I don't want to sound too critical. But the wait between holes was pretty painful. I wondered if this was typical for Nation? A guy in the foursome ahead of us said that it was because of the nature of the course. What has your experience there been like?

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I've played 20 rounds there over the past few years and have never experienced that.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    You probably just caught a busy day because the weather was so nice, and the forecast for today so poor. At a 3pm tee off, you would be having trouble finishing before dark anyway, sunset is before 7 these days.

Did I mention I'm due out there at 12:48 today and I bet there will be no log jam today.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I've only played there once and the pace was terrible. Two to three groups on the tee made a great course horrible to play.

6 Iron Ehmcee is on a distinguished road
    Played there once this year... 3 of us teed off just before 7am. Played the front in about 1:40. Got to the 10th tee and there were 6 groups waiting to tee off (2 from in front of us and 4 more schedule off the 10th tee), we were group #7. The marshall gave us a ton of attitude about "playing too fast". One of the groups in front of us left, the other went back to the 1st tee (only 3 teams waiting there). We waited and our back 9 ended up taking well over 3 hours. So much for "playing too fast". Needless to say we have not been back there.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    The Nation certainly requires patience due to the number I experienced in my first and only visit this summer. It also requires a range finder as neither the card nor the granite tee marker are accurate. Oddly, both differ in yardages too.

Have 5 rounds at Nation this year so far and not one slow round.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    The Nation certainly requires patience due to the number I experienced in my first and only visit this summer. It also requires a range finder as neither the card nor the granite tee marker are accurate. Oddly, both differ in yardages too.

Agreed...especially at #10...takes forever for people to play that hole with the uphill green.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I would say that most rounds played later in the day on weekends are slower than average. Its a great little course to play and they usually close late in the season.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I've played Nation at different times of the day and I don't think I've ever gotten around in under 5 hours. With a 3pm tee off you're unlikely to get in 18 anywhere at this time of year though.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

I played it in 3 hours on Sunday and teed off at 12:15.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    Agreed...especially at #10...takes forever for people to play that hole with the uphill green.
    #10 has to be the weirdest par 4 I have ever played. I had a cart so we drove ahead to see where the green was as I had no idea. I hit 4 iron, SW and made birde. Unfortunately it was one of the few bright spots that day. I will say this though, you can make a ton of birdies on that course. I fought my swing all day and had four.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    #10 has to be the weirdest par 4 I have ever played. I had a cart so we drove ahead to see where the green was as I had no idea. I hit 4 iron, SW and made birde. Unfortunately it was one of the few bright spots that day. I will say this though, you can make a ton of birdies on that course. I fought my swing all day and had four.
    1/2 of the people who are trying to cut the corner and can't even see where their balls will land thus they spend a good deal of time to look for them after the drive...Then the combination of the hilly lies and crown green makes sure the other 1/2 either be short and stuck on the slope or fly the balls over the green to the other holes...)

Put it this way, if you get a birdie there, you know what you are doing with the club

Good to know others have experienced the same thing. I think if it were just me, I'd probably feel a little short changed. In the end, I did really like the course, so I'll probably risk the chance of it happening again before the season's out. Either that or I'll have a crack at Outouais.

Great to hear. If the weather permits perhaps I'll give it a try this weekend.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    The layout and the short first few holes makes this course easily one of the slowest in the area. Add to that the fact that the management is immune to complaints of slow play and voilà, you got yourslef a log jam. I think the marshalls spend more time looking for balls there than improving the pace of play. Just look at thier cart, usually you will see a nice cardboard box being filled with balls.
    That is what happened the last time I played there. The pace was good then jammed up on 8 just as we saw the marshall driving up, then he yanks his cart toward the woods and drops in for a looonnnnggg look see. We thought he was relieving himself but when he came out with a few balls we knew what he was doing. He finally came up to us but we were now next to hit instead of 2 on the box and 1 group on the green. My brother told him that it was really jamming up and he looked and said it would be fine. My brother could not resist and said well we came here to play golf not to waste time looking for balls in the woods, how about you? The marshall was shocked and sped-off, the pace did not improve, I guess there were more woods with lost balls to cover.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    It's easy to see why they don't care about pace of play... the course is always packed. Their attitude often appears to be 'don't come back then, we'll still be busy'.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

I find this thread very odd as NATION is one of my favourite courses, partly because of price with CG and because of proximity, but also because I never have this problem.

Perhaps people experiencing this problem should try booking their golf at non-peak times, maybe that will help.

I'm not certain why there is so many complains as, as mentioned earlier I have never experienced this here.

Odd!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I'm not complaining. I still play there regularly, particularly in the Fall. However I know that if you want to play between 8 and 10 in the morning it's going to be a long day every time. Very busy course, they often do a crossover (and not very well), and lots of blind tee shots lead to a lot of waiting.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Well I have played there quite often and not necessarily at peak times and still found the pace slow. I really think the layout has a lot to do with it. As for the marshalls, I know they are "not paid" but it shows, I have never, ever had a fast round there although I have had many acceptable pace rounds for sure. Maybe it is the luck of the draw but any course knows when they are busy and must make sure the pace of play is enforced, especially one as short as this one.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Agreed, peak times = busy at most courses.

But Peak=busy does have to = slowww
    I played at Raven's Diable and there were 6 carts were ligned up at the first tee. I thought for sure it would be a 5-6 hour round. The starter said they were full and had been all morning but that they had marshalls out on the course. Sure. I was blown away, I saw at least 2-3 different marshalls as we progressed along the first few holes and we were right on the tail of the group in front who were struggling. After a par 3 we found ourselves a shot behind and no sooner a marshall was there to ask "very politely" I may add if we could do our best to keep up with the group in front as the course was full and delays had a domino effect. Well the 2some with us had a lady beginner so at that point she told her hubby that she would play from his ball from there on in, we finished in 4.5 hours, good pace management there.
    Lefty Lucas

I agree Apex, I will still play there but will not even consider it if time is an issue.
    Lefty Lucas

I like the course, I like the layout, it is usually in good condition, I for one think there are too many courses that forget that the best way to make the most of their short season is to make the experience the best possible for those who pay the green fees. The best way to show a course that you are unsatisfied is to continue voicing your displeasure and of course to not frequent that course.
    Lefty Lucas

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Very well said
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Please folks, keep it respectful. If you have issues with the management please take it up with them. This is not a place to air grievances to 'get even' for a bad experience. Please read the forum rules for further clarification as to forum policy.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 09-30-2009 at 12:16 PM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I agree that speaking to management directly is probably the best approach. Whether they prefer to address the concerns of golfers who play the course half a dozen times a year or not, is up to them.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this time around, since it was my first trip, and I really did enjoy the course.

I can't say that I'll do the same after a second similar experience.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I think all courses have bad days. A buddy of mine played a scramble tournament at the Nation last week in around 4 hours which is quite amazing.

I used to play an annual tourney at Meadows that would range between 4.5 to 6 hours.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Well I have played there quite often and not necessarily at peak times and still found the pace slow. I really think the layout has a lot to do with it.
    Agreed.
    Most of the holes in themselves are fun, but it might be beneficial if they could somehow re-route the course so #5 was the starting hole. The first 4 holes are good, but I think their design contributes to slow play right from the get-go.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Thread Information