CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refinishing

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

Refinishing

So I just recently purchased a Newport 2 tei3 and am looking to get it refinished to original. Now I know Scotty is the best place to go and likely where I will send it. But at $225 for the tei3 without a custom grip or cover, wanting to look into other shops that can do the work. I know of colbert putter plating and wondering who else is out there.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Black Oxide Services. They used to do the finishing work for all Cameron putters, probably including your TeI3. Another one to try would be George Palombi, better known as Geo on the putter sites.

Jinx!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    would black oxide services be able to give my titleist 704cb irons the pimped-out black treatment that I see in brianson's av pic (featuring I think some black-oxided 690 irons)? I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask them myself...
    Andrew

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    So I just recently purchased a Newport 2 tei3 and am looking to get it refinished to original. Now I know Scotty is the best place to go and likely where I will send it. But at $225 for the tei3 without a custom grip or cover, wanting to look into other shops that can do the work. I know of colbert putter plating and wondering who else is out there.
    A little birdie told me about this one.
    http://www.mannkrafted.com/
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    Bob is bang on, Lamont at mannkrafted does great work. But if you are looking for all original BOS is the only way to go imo.
    Lamont for custom and BOS for like new.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Any of you Scotty guru's know the difference between having a Scotty refinished by the SC Shop or just sending it in to Titleist in terms of cost? The custom shop is becoming ridiculously expensive, but I read on the Titleist site that you can send it back to Titleist to have it refinished to original by taking it to a dealer like GT. Anyone know much about this?

Titleist will stamp a number or letter on the under side of the hosel cup. It's usually cheapper going titleist than SC but the Cameron guys dont pay as much for a titleist refinished putter as an SC studio refinish when you come to sell it later.
    What finish is on there already? If it's a Black Oxide/Gun Blue or Oil Can send it into BOS and it'll come back like new. They did all of the work on the early series putters originally I think. They do fantastic work too. The typical cost is about $40 US for a BO/GB finish that restores the head to as new condition of course postage is extra and you'll really need to pull the head which will save big time on shipping anyway.
    Hope that helps.

Also...as to my previous post. I am having a Tad Moore handmade refinished by LaMont as i wanted some name stamping removed from the bumpers and then a refinish. I'm looking at about $65 + shipping I believe.

It's Gun Blue, I was thinking or redoing it myself. The BOS website doesn't show any pictures of the work they have done. I plan on keeping this putter so I'm not worried about resale but it would be nice to see some of their work.

I'll see if I can find a link to a slideshow they did for me.

Shoot me an email to kilmidyke@live.co.uk and i'll forward you a couple of different slideshows of their work.

Liam.
    Last edited by kilmidyke; 10-25-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Cool thanks! No price list either, are they really that cheap. I think I will send them a quote request and check out GT and compare the costs.

The file sizes are too large to just post up, 4.80MB & 9.8MB PDF's. If anyone wants the slideshows of BOS work just drop me a mail to kilmidyke@live.co.uk and i"ll forward them on to you.

Email on its way thanks. Man that website needs work, hard to find the prices and when you do hard to read!

We need a Sticky Topic for refinishing I think!

What current custom grip and headcover is worth the most? I saw the Jackpot one on ebay going for $150 with time to go and grips going for close to $100. That would pay for the restoration! Is there a grip or headcover that will fetch more money or is in higher demand than others?

Jackpot Johnny will fetch the most money, but it should go down to $100 fairly soon. It was just released a week and a half ago, so prices are high as the first ones hit the market. Best grip? That one I don't know. I used to get the cord no cord because they were easy to pull and brought $70 no problem, but I think a version of the CNC will be on the California putters when they ship, so that will wipe out that market. Probably one of the Winn ones would be your best bet.

What about the leather wrap? I saw the lime and purple Winn's going for good money as well.

The leather wraps cost $20ish more than the Winns, or at least they used to, but I don't think they bring $20 more than the Winns on resale. I don't know as much about the accessory values anymore though, Atomic or LMS probably have a better idea than I do. Or just check completed auctions on ebay.

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    If you send it back to scotty it shouldn't cost more that $200 tax in...now that'll include a complete refinish and they will reshaft to original length and slap a new grip and headcover with all that! When you consider everything not a bad deal...however an 8+ week wait is a bit harsh!

I guess it depends on what your looking for. If I were to send it to scotty I would want to use the custom items such as grip and headcovers maybe a stamp. To just get the head done and a original grip and headcover that I already have and pay $200 doesn't seem like a good deal when really all they are doing is restoring the head which you can get done for under $100 easy with BOS. Since mine is a Gun Blue and the more I read about it it seems that BOS did that finish in the first place it makes more sense to go this route for me. I think $200 for a standard restoration is just too much imo.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Try refinishing the Gun blue yourself...its pretty easy. If you don't like the outcome then get it done professionally.

Check out this thread:
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=41696

If I wasn't getting any accessories, I would probably send almost any scotty I have to BOS for refinishing. I just think the Custom Shop is too expensive for what you get. If I was getting anything refinished in Oil Can, I would send it to BOS because not only are they less expensive, they do Oil Can better than the Custom Shop.

Thanks for digging that up. I might actually give that a try. I have RAW wedges that I may do first to get the feel for it but the results look pretty good!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Thanks for digging that up. I might actually give that a try. I have RAW wedges that I may do first to get the feel for it but the results look pretty good!
    I re-blued my sd1.5 and liked the outcome. It was kinda fun to do and inexpensive...if I can do it then anyone can

Thread Information