CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Manderley???

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Question Manderley???

I am trying Manderley for the first time this Monday, the 21. Anyone have any suggestions or remarks on the condition of the course and which 9s are the best to play? I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks, LL

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Manderley is a fine course. Greens are in good shape. They were punched about a month ago so last week they were just a touch bumpy, but good coverage. I am sure they are even better now.

My personal favorite combo is Central and North. South is nice too, but having played Manderley for years, I ilke the 9 new holes mixed into North and Central.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Ditto here

New nine holes has a a little of everything for everyone.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    I am trying Manderley for the first time this Monday, the 21. Anyone have any suggestions or remarks on the condition of the course and which 9s are the best to play? I would appreciate any comments.
    I like the course, but there's one thing you should be aware of your entire round: they have awkward little gullies on a LOT of the holes RIGHT in the driving area (around 220). So just make sure you know which holes have em and at what length.

7 Iron owenb is on a distinguished road owenb's Avatar
    Played the south+central yesterday. I could not believe the shape it was in...best I have ever seen it. Played there two weeks ago and it was dusty and playing fast. Now it looks like a brand new course...with grass. Hats off to their staff for getting it just right. In fact, it was my best round I have played this year.

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    I'm a member over at manderley, and i can't picture these 'gullies' that you're talking about... just wondering if you could clarify

(do you mean the creeks on north 1 and central 1 and south 9? or do you mean gullies like the one 150 yards out from south 9's green...not in driving distance..)

Par gwil is on a distinguished road
    I too am a member at Manderley - but I play the blue tees - takes some of the creeks out of play but not all. On the South 7 is in play but not 9 from the blue. On the Central 1 is in play and 9 if you crush it. On the North 1 the creek is in play.

While it is silly to have creeks at those yardages - 240-270 off of the tees we have to live with it and maybe hit a different club .

Quote Originally Posted by ros_bif
    I'm a member over at manderley, and i can't picture these 'gullies' that you're talking about... just wondering if you could clarify

(do you mean the creeks on north 1 and central 1 and south 9? or do you mean gullies like the one 150 yards out from south 9's green...not in driving distance..)

Yes, I mean the creeks, and I'm NOT knocking the course, I like the course...I just think a NEW player should be aware that some of them are in driving range.

Again: like the course, beware of the creeks.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    It's funny. I've never played at Manderley, but for some reason I have a slight aversion to trying it out. I suppose my hesitance comes from the word of mouth about "too many tourneys" and "slow play" and such. Is that really true? I'm a weekend hacker, normally playing 36 holes when I get out on the course, so any information about weekend playing issues would be appreciated.

Never heard anything bad about the course itself, just about the traffic.

Thanks.
    Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    It's funny. I've never played at Manderley, but for some reason I have a slight aversion to trying it out. I suppose my hesitance comes from the word of mouth about "too many tourneys" and "slow play" and such. Is that really true? I'm a weekend hacker, normally playing 36 holes when I get out on the course, so any information about weekend playing issues would be appreciated.

Never heard anything bad about the course itself, just about the traffic.

Thanks.
    Dan
    I think the longest rounds I've ever played are at Manderley. I even broke the 6 hour mark once . Woo hoo!!!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I think the longest rounds I've ever played are at Manderley. I even broke the 6 hour mark once . Woo hoo!!!
    I don't mind long rounds if I'm expecting them, just hate them when I plan on playing 36 holes and can't because of tourney traffic or overbooking....

Thanks though.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

"too many tourneys" and "slow play" and such.
    Agree but this was also before they opened their 3rd nine. I beleive it's now not a problem for pace of play. As for any course in town, just get out early.

I cant tell you about afternoon rounds as I dont play many.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Agree but this was also before they opened their 3rd nine. I beleive it's now not a problem for pace of play. As for any course in town, just get out early.

I cant tell you about afternoon rounds as I dont play many.
    Actually, early morning and late afternoon...usually easy to get on.

Manderly is pretty slow, even with the new 9, but its still worth a play. The last time i went on a weekend, they let too many twosomes out mixed with lots of 4-somes. If they combined, the problem would be solved.

Have to say it used to be 5 hour rounds last year. This year I have had 3 days out there...including two weekends. Times were 4 hours, 4 hours 15 mins and the other day was 3 hours and 45 mins. They have also adjusted the tee start times this year to help reduce long rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by gwil
    I too am a member at Manderley - but I play the blue tees - takes some of the creeks out of play but not all. On the South 7 is in play but not 9 from the blue. On the Central 1 is in play and 9 if you crush it. On the North 1 the creek is in play.

While it is silly to have creeks at those yardages - 240-270 off of the tees we have to live with it and maybe hit a different club .
    i play it from the blues aswell, and i think the creeks are in great places...i love the fact that i have to take a 3 iron off the tee on central 1, then a 3 wood for the second shot...or that i can't use a driver on central 9 (or half of the other holes)...it's so much more enjoyable that driver + lob wedge which happens WAY to often at other courses...It's nice to have a challenge, and to use all of my clubs for a change (for example....i just gave riverbend a try, and i used less than half my bag...)

I agree with the comment that people new to the course should be made aware of them (only a few of them have their distances from the tee marked on the tee box), and there are holes like south 3 where i've played with people that didn't even see that there was water in front of the green...but overall i'd say the creeks add to the course, not take away from it...

I love the course. It's been a favorite of mine for over 20 years. Close to the west end and away from the traffic flow in the morning. And with new nine, the entire course is getting facelift and well worth the $$.

Only wish they would put up a simple little walk bridge over the creek between the mounds and between 1 north and 9 central

I wasnt saying the creeks were a bad thing. The first time i went with my brother, we both had beautiful drives, which ended up in the creek, that we didnt see visually, or yardage posted. Now we know. That's all im saying.

Only wish they would put up a simple little walk bridge over the creek between the mounds and between 1 north and 9 central
    Yes, that would be great...

Lob Wedge hollywood is on a distinguished road
    The distance from the tees to the creeks are all posted on the Yardage signs at the Tee blocks. The new signs they have are great since they tell you how far to the creeks or to the corner of a dog leg or to fairway bunkers.

Manderley suffers from an old reputation that is not deserved anymore. The pace is now the same or better than most other courses in the area and the conditions are really improving.

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    They put the bridges on last Tuesday. Nice ones too.
    But I for one don't like the creeks coming in play. Now with the course being dried a bit and the balls rulling more, my 3 wood made it to creek and I lost my ball. A good Tshot shouldn't be punished, specially if it hit down the pipe. There are enough shots to make with different clubs on the course than making them on the tee. Why leave the driver in bag?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    LOL So hit driver and get over the creek

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    LOL So hit driver and get over the creek
    I am trying to have some course management, apparently I need to take a course on that before I see somebody for my swing .

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farzin
    I am trying to have some course management, apparently I need to take a course on that before I see somebody for my swing .
    Play from the back tees
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

the creeks are great because otherwise they'd be dead straight 500 yard par 5's, and way too easy...central 1 i take a 3 iron from the back tees, and end up quite short of the creek, but it's because my 3 wood can go in...the result is that i take a 3 wood on my second shot, and leave 100-150 yards on my 3rd shot, making it a real par 5...if it were open i'd prolly hit driver, 3 iron and be on in 2...

and you're not getting punished for a good tee shot....it's part of what makes manderley's slope & rating so high...if you want to play a course with water in a bunch of places, but it never comes into play, try riverbend...very scenic, but also very easy

....you want to talk about getting punished for good tee shots, then talk about South 5...LOL... that one's a killer

i guess it depends on what you like, but i went and played greensmere last sunday and it was driver off of every par 4 and 5....3 wood once...no trouble anywhere, and i found it boring...manderley's layout forces me to hit several different clubs off the tee, and in the end i find makes the course more enjoyable, andstops it from getting boring...

Have to agree. We don't want to get bored like the pros...what fun is there in driver and wedge for a par 4. Golf is supposed to be a challenge. I enjoy the course as you have to manage your shots and use more than 4 clubs out of the bag.

Big_duck
    ....you want to talk about getting punished for good tee shots, then talk about South 5...LOL... that one's a killer

I love South 5, Check the periscope, listen for the bell, then fire a nice cut 3 wood right around the bend, it used to be my slice, but now that I have (almost) eliminated it, I go back to what I was doing 'wrong' for that hole - very nostaligic.

Thread Information